Thread of reasons to wear a mask all the time

(obviously) 1. You are ugly as fuck

2. You are so pretty it's dangerous and the government will exile you

2. You're always prepared for a masquerade.

2. If you took it off, you would die
3. Same as 2, but it would merely be extremely painful
4. You

3. You're somewhere super-racist, so it's for the best to hide a lot about yourself.

Punishment

>tfw you have no face

I shouldn't have laughed at this but I did

I played a cleric once with the Protection domain. But his entire party got killed and only he survived, so he wore a mask with their names inscribed on it as penance.

Whoops, pressed send too soon. 4. You are pretty as fuck, and do not want any scars or blemishes.

My personal favorite:

>You're not actually wearing a mask

You know niggers can be identified by voice right?

Because they're terribly comfortable.

I went with the "Full body burns" and "didn't really have much of a face" route ala Dr.Doom, except the intention was equally for intimidation/bluffing purposes.

I thought I read somewhere once that Dagoth Ur wears the mask in an attempt to be polite to others. Not to say he was ashamed but it's more like "I understand my gaping face hole is hard to look at, let me meet you half way." Can anyone verify this?

Because the mask merchant is cute.

It's a tradition, and spurring tradition is a bad idea when ancestor spirits are real, capable of affecting the world, and petty, and you rely on easily cursed food sources to not starve to death.

Instead of getting tattoos, just inscribe a few runes on the mask.
Facial protection.

Well yeah but what if you're an elf or something?

>Protects against evil spirits and curses

You want people to leave you alone.

It's been welded onto your face

no one really cares who you are

A mythical creature in a mirror or pool of water stole your face.

The mask is cursed and has fused to your face.

The mask denies individuality and is used as a form of religious asceticism.

Intimidation purposes.

You made a vanilla character in a group of weirdos, and want to pretend to be interesting too

You don't want yourself to know that you are actually both yourself and yourself.

Because masks are power.

Also a pic related.

Because it's so very comfortable.

yes ?

Good post

5. The majority of your planets population and planetary rulers rebelled against their rightful masters and your loyalist ancestors responded by nuking the shit out of them leading to a 500-year-long global conflict of which your side was victorious but left your planet toxic af so everyone has to wear gasmasks to breathe and also you have to pay for the sins of the people your ancestors killed so the mask also serves to dehumanize you and your friends so you're more willing to throw your lives away in the name of this cause.

Hot

Any who gaze upon you are cursed with __________

uncontrollable laughter

Blindness.

A friend of mine had a character that was a Cambion/Half Incubus. He always wore completely obscuring attire as he was so supernaturally attractive that even the slightest sight of him would enthrall people.

raging erection for d6+Constitution Modifier hours

A stark erection

IBS

Voices aren't especially distinguishable by race, more by culture. A black American raised completely independently of American black culture wouldn't have any of the inflectional or dialectical cues you've been acculturated to expect from a black American, for instance. It's all down to training and upbringing.

You cheeky cunt

It's a cultural thing

Cringing slightly and living with the memory of (You) in their minds.

Why would a culture decide to wear masks???

I actually had this question some days ago

In my setting I have an order of demon hunters who spend ages crafting masks so horrifying that they are permitted entrance to hell (they basically pass undetected, because the demons assume them to be their own) and this eventually leads up to them and their horrible masks becoming demonic entities for real, so it is a dangerous practice

because face-stealers

also leprosy

One guy wore a full hazmat suit at all times just because he was that fucking paranoid.

Having their pens work when they scratch them on the side of the paper to test, but always fail when they go to actually write something.

You live in a place where there's a 24/7 masquerade going on by order of the mad queen.

Agoraphobia

the mask is your real identity, your persona.
underneath the mask is only a body

I'm told that I sound pretty white over the Internet

>Make a character for an Eyes of the Lich Queen campaign
>Cyran veteran of the Last War, vicious son of a bitch devoted to terror campaigns and war crimes galore until his face got melted off by the Day of Mourning
>Picked up by a Friar (are those the traveling ones?) of the Silver Flame, redeemed in the light, and became a Paladin
>Wears a silver mask because damn he's ugly
>Everyone assumes it can't be that bad
>No, seriously Harald, why don't you take off the mask?
>Character takes off his mask to quaff a health potion
>To call the thing underneath the mask a face would be an insult to faces everywhere. His "skin" was a mass of raw red flesh, crisscrossed with milky white webs of what was either scar or connective tissue. His nose, if you could call it that, was a fleshy half-stump, more a hole yawning into the depths of his skull than a thing for sniffing. Narrowing his fern green eyes, Harald brought the vial to his lip-less mouth and quaffed the concoction down before using the back of a gauntlet to reflexively wipe any errant droplets off his teeth

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?

I wonder who could be behind this post.

I had a character who wore a mask to hide the fact that she was blind, and could only fight by abusing detect magic.

You figured out how to eat and drink around it and want to fuck with people.

rabbies

You're a drow and the mask makes people slightly less suspicious of you

I'd let her give me a blowjob.

Here's the reason my character wore a mask: he was an undead, a satyr skeleton. People tend to not want to deal with undead. Also I'd say I'm a leper if people asked why I wore such ample clothing in the summer

(From my campaign): You are one in a long, long line of bards who share a common title and roam the world collecting stories and immortalizing culturally significant events by creating songs that will retell them.

Also,
People don't know whether you're one immortal person or a line of people.

So basically the Keepers from Mistborn meet Jack of Blades but not necessarily a bad guy.

>inb4 JoB wasn't a bad guy

2. You are a big guy

>Why would a culture decide to wear masks???
Dunno.

Something about modesty perhaps?

I find her oddly cute and attractive. No oral sex though.

You are a twin brother of the future king and your parents decided to avoid horrible succession crisis

I played a jungle savage who's tribe wore masks instead of expressing emotions with their faces, they wore 4 masksfacing different directions and would rotate them. Pretty retarded but i enjoyed him. He spoke with a southern accent.

My char is masked because he's hiding from those who are hunting him down. He's also taking a page from one of his heros, Certesc, the Walking Man. Guy who wasn't a god, but also wasn't a mortal; he "walked away" from his fate. My char is doing the same.

>my char is masked
All chars are masked

So this is the power of Baneposting huh? Not bad.

They all look the same so they use masks to differentiate.

Kind of true, but part of what defines the sound of your voice is the shape of your nose and mouth. White people are called honkies because we supposedly sound nasally to some black people. Even without any kind of accent or dialect, a person might have their race identified by a listener simply by the sound of their voice, but its not 100% or anything.

My runner wears a mask 24/7 because a long time ago, while escaping from some shit that popped off, she got her ankle caught in the rear fender of a moving truck and was drug about 100 feet face-down. She only takes the mask off to eat, and only in private. It's not some "I'm cool and mysterious" thing, she just hates herself and is saving up for high-quality plastic surgery to fix it.

It's the symbol of your guild, marking you as a torturer.

"It is time for the unmasking sir!"
"Is it?"
"Yes! Please take off your mask and show us your face!"
"I wear no mask."
"No mask?! No mask!"

Fucking nice one. I didn't see it coming

You got me like nobody has done in a long time

The norm in a culture. The Scorpion Clan in L5R have their reasons. Other than that, I don't have many ideas as to why.

You're a vampire and wish to take a stroll through the midday like a sensible vampire of your __ century, not like these new vampires who stick their dicks in a dungeon all day.

Hmm, I wonder where this poster got this idea from....

Anonymity. Perhaps the job you own is awful enough that you don't want someone to know you're the one doing it.

Because it hosts souls and new abilities, of course.

67. you live in a society where only your spouse can see your true face
132. you live in a society with a stugma against disease and its the norm to wear breathers in public
675. youre a wanted man
899. if you remove it HE will see you and find you
900. you are crazy and think that if you remove it HE will see you and finf you
13949. youre an edgy kid and the mask is part of your gimmick
■¤. your face is a void that would constantly suck in reality around you if not for your mask

I've got two mask related questions.

The first, is how much does a gas mask affect your oxygen intake? I ran with one on and it wasn't pleasant, but it was at sea level along a beach and beach running is basically getting fucked with a cactus anyway.

The second is how far down can your oxygen mix be compressed and still be breathable, in the sense that you'd have a mask with 'air cartridges'?

>The first, is how much does a gas mask affect your oxygen intake? I ran with one on and it wasn't pleasant, but it was at sea level along a beach and beach running is basically getting fucked with a cactus anyway.
Fuck if I know.

>The second is how far down can your oxygen mix be compressed and still be breathable, in the sense that you'd have a mask with 'air cartridges'?
Normal is 21% oxygen at 1 atm of presssure.
At 15% or so, you start seeing fatigue and worse coordination. At 12% you get impaired judgement. At 10%, you start seeing signs of suffocation though it's still livable. At 8% or lower, there's not enough to stay alive.
So about 2/3 normal is where shit starts happening and 1/2 normal is where shit gets bad.

So something like shadowrun where your gas mask just has readily affixable 'air cartridges' isn't physically possible. Copy that.

Well no, they'd basically be the equivalent of a diver's air tank but with a shorter lifespan.
A 12-liter tank at 200 atm of pressure lasts about an hour. So an easily portable and affixed half-liter tank would be expected to be around two and a half minutes. Crank up the pressure, easily doable with "future tech" or what have you, and you could get a good 10+ minutes of air from something the size of two fists.

Yeah, your average SR gas mask has an hour's supply. Internal airtanks store it at some unspecified-but-stupidly-high degree of pressure. Shame.

There's a kingdom on my homebrew world, where the queen is a Medusa. Because she wears a mask in order to protect her subjects, it is a rule that everyone must wear masks in public. Masks have become a symbol of status or professions in their caste-based society.

Shit this is a good one

This is the quality content I come to Veeky Forums for.

Speak for yourself. [s]I have a thing for mouths and Mileena does things for me.[/s]

(Ex)

My character wear a mask because he is a clone of the BBEG and the reason why they weren't actually destroyed 500 years ago.

>PC version of Majora's Mask
neat

Even better: you're a totally unrelated lookalike of the king and want to avoid unwanted attention

They write down spells/information on the inside of the mask so they can always check their notes.

Totally for extra protection and definitely not because you are a skeleton underneath.

Nigger elf? Like, not a standard "elf with dark skin and white hair" type, but an elf with strongly African features? I need me some art of that.

twist : the mask is actually your face (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, YELLOW KING !)