Why is this card so controversial?

Why is this card so controversial?

I don't get it

It's inexpensive in colors that can easily ramp, but with a large enough CMC that the Cascade will probably be worth it.

3/2 haste creature that cascades to all kinds of useful stuff for jund

It helps to put this into context. Its a 3/2 haste that can be maelstrom pulse, bolt, put a lili into play, ramp, grab a bear like scooze, etc. The randomness goes out the window when 7/8 cards it can hit are cards that will only be irrelevant when you are already way ahead. The worst that will happen is it hits IoK/TS when your opponent doesnt have any cards in hand.

because youre getting seven manas worth of card for four mana. I mean, it also has haste.

It's something you have to play

High dose of pure unadulterated value

I hit liliana with it. I just spent 4 mana for a 3/2 haste and a planeswalker. The advantage I generate off that play exceeds even 7 mana in that I also got a free draw/cast of a power card.

There are few plays in MtG that generate more advantage than Bloodbraid into Lili. All things being equal, under circumstances like that, you typically win outright

You get a 3/2 haste for 4. That's not wonderful, but it's pretty decent.
You also get to draw and immediately cast a card of CMC 3 or lower.
For free.

So you're really getting a 3/2 haste that draws you a card when cast. For 3 or less. 1 if you hit a CMC 3 with it.

Kills JtMS :^)

Aside from the serious answers, Planechase version is just too QT for modern. Modern only has room for one best waifu and that is Thalia.
Please unban Bloodbraid ;_;

As people have stated, the card generates tons of value as soon as you play it, but the biggest thing it has going for it is that you're simply can't prepare for it because of the random nature of the Cascade.

Now, random also means that you can't plan for what exactly will happen when you play BBE, but the decks that play BBE are goodstuff.dec where everything you can hit is good regardless.

In case you hit a Tarmogoyf, your opponent needs to have two removal spells or mass removal in hand to handle your creatures. If you hit Blightning, your opponent needs to have a counterspell in hand or just take it. Should you hit Abrupt Decay, a removal spell wouldn't even matter in the first case. Should you hit a Liliana they need either at least one counterspell or instant speed planeswalker removal or you're guaranteed at least one activation. And so on.

>You get a 3/2 haste for 4. That's not wonderful, but it's pretty decent.
no, stop pretending the cascade is free, 4 mana 2/2 haste is too shit even for standard, there are 3 mana cards which are haste 3/3 with an upside and still are not good enough for modern. If someone played a braid elf without cascade you wouldn't think it's a suboptimal choice, you would laugh at him.

3/2 of course

Bloodbraid Elf into Lili of the Veil is pretty fucking gross.

She's too cute, makes the few female players there are feel self-conscious

Even with instant speed removal, you can hold priority on lili entering and activate an ability.

Lili will resolve while BB is still on the stack, silly.

Not while BBE is still on the stack, and before BBE resolves your opponent gets a chance to respond.

not that cute

>controversial
It's not controversial. Everyone good agrees it's OP.

>Everyone good

BBE into Liliana of the Veil or Blightning is just delicious, heck even cascading into Bolt is great.

> Not understanding how you can use a card fixing card with it and casting half a deck in a turn.

Ha, fucking casual.

>4 mana
>doesn't combo-win the game instantly
It's shit in Modern. By the time it comes out, you're already dead.