/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Time to get dirty, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-07-31 - Still getting worked on & now has 14474 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord server, etc.) Last updated 2017-07-30!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CFr5FI1IckQ
miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/?title=BattleDroids
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Butte Hold.

How about another "mechs you wish were battlemechs" submissions?

Any news on the lawsuit? Is BT dead yet?

Don't expect to hear anything significant until next Christmas-ish. Trial doesn't start until next September.

Ten years later I still don't understand why it has a giant CRT monitor on its shoulder.

Hopefully not.

That's a disco party light for when the mechs get together and boogie.

I... what?

Any way, fuck ASFs, and fuck the GOTTAGOFAST Clans.

FFS, Paint.

Arms: 1 LB-10X, 1 LPL, 1 ER ML, 2 tons LB-10X Ammo.

LT: 2 DHS, 1 ER ML.

RT: 1 DHS, AP, ECM, 1 ER ML.

CT: LPL

H: ER SL

Legs: 1 DHS

Found pic related recently.

Skullduggery 1A
IS TW non-box set
45 tons
BV: 1,207
Cost: 4,397,850 C-bills

Movement: 6/9
Engine: 270
Heat Sinks: 10 [20]
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 83 (Endo-Steel)
Armor: 161/169 (Ferro-Fibrous)
Internal Armor
--------------------------------------
Center Torso 14 22
Center Torso (rear) 6
Right Torso 11 17
Right Torso (rear) 5
Left Torso 11 17
Left Torso (rear) 5
Front Right Leg 11 20
Front Left Leg 11 20
Rear Right Leg 11 20
Rear Left Leg 11 20

Weapon Loc Heat
----------------------------------------
Medium X-Pulse Laser LT 6
Medium X-Pulse Laser RT 6
Streak SRM 4 LT 3
Streak SRM 4 RT 3

Ammo Loc Shots
Streak SRM 4 Ammo RT 25
Streak SRM 4 Ammo LT 25

Equipment Loc
----------------------------------
Targeting Computer HD

Don't let your dreams be dreams, user.

Might as well throw this one out given their older and obsolete brother is in the game.

I love you and the tank you rode in on.

Found this thing and thought it would have been a good clan pain in the ass.

2017-07-31 - Bastard Prime
Clan TW
100 tons
BV: 2,918
Cost: 23,890,000 C-bills

Movement: 3/5
Engine: 300 XL
Heat Sinks: 14 [28]

Internal: 152 (Endo-Steel)
Armor: 307/307
Internal Armor
Center Torso 31 47
Center Torso (rear) 15
Right Torso 21 32
Right Torso (rear) 10
Left Torso 21 32
Left Torso (rear) 10
Right Arm 17 34
Left Arm 17 34
Right Leg 21 42
Left Leg 21 42

Weapon Loc Heat
Medium Pulse Laser LT 4
Medium Pulse Laser RT 4
Medium Pulse Laser LT 4
Medium Pulse Laser RT 4
Ultra AC/10 RA 3
Ultra AC/10 LA 3
LRM 15 LT 5
LRM 15 RT 5
LRM 15 RT 5
LRM 15 LT 5

Ammo Loc Shots
Ultra AC/10 Ammo LA 10
Ultra AC/10 Ammo RA 10
Ultra AC/10 Ammo RA 10
Ultra AC/10 Ammo LA 10
Ultra AC/10 Ammo RA 10
Ultra AC/10 Ammo RA 10
Ultra AC/10 Ammo LA 10
Ultra AC/10 Ammo LA 10
LRM 15 Ammo LT 8
LRM 15 Ammo RT 8
LRM 15 Ammo LT 8
LRM 15 Ammo RT 8
LRM 15 Ammo RT 8
LRM 15 Ammo LT 8

Hell, how did I get a damn thumbnail?

I feel like this should be a hover or wige quadvee (which I guess would be a LAM without a fighter mode)

Gentlemen...

How do we save Tharkad?

Nothing's gone right for us since we led Hanse steal Melissa away from us.

>"mechs you wish were battlemechs"

...if only it could be so.

hi everyone I am new!!!!!!! holds up neurohelmet my name is katy but you can call me the Falcon of Doom!!!!!!!! laughing out loud... as you can see I am very honorable!!!! that is why I came here, to meet honorable warriors like me _…
I am 13 years old(I am honorable for my age though) I like to watch Trials of Positon with my sibmate(I am future khan if you do not like it challange me to a Trial of Refusal) it is our favorite type of trial!!! because it is
SOOOO honorable!!!! she is honorable too of cours but I want to meet more honorable warriors =) like they say the more the merier!!! laughing out loud... anyways I hope to make alot of bondsmen here so give me lots of batchalls!!!
STAAAR LEAGUUUEEEEEEEEEEE

You mean nothing's gone right for you since you let Katherine steal you from Victor.

I've never seen that pasta before, thanks I needed a laugh.

youtube.com/watch?v=CFr5FI1IckQ

Ever since protomechs came into being, I wanted variants of these.
If there ever was a Clan Crab Meat, these would go perfectly along with clan versions of the Crab and King Crab.

Well, depending how the trial goes, you might get your wish.
Or you know... We all get fucked.

Thanks to all the Anons who added to the pastebin over time.

Finally getting my chance to play on a table thanks to all the counters, rulesbooks and hexpacks

That game is so fucking great, but the bosses are so fucking weird.

TIKONOV STRONK

This would have been a great updated version of the Wasp / Stinger combo.

Looks like a Vixen/Incubus/

It's from the failed Macross II.

Nice.

Say that the trial does go the way that fucks over Harmony Gold, what happens? Does Harmony Gold lose their rights to the designs and it goes to the guys who own battletech, ie would they not have to share it anymore?

If so, does that mean Macross can finally stop being cockblocked from coming over into North America?

I see that derpy Jagermech in the background, just hoping it wasn't noticed. Its arms are all kinds of all over the place too.

If Harmony Gold loses the rights, then it poses a nasty question: Who DOES have them? And who does CGL/Topps have to go to for a license after that? It's not like 'HG loses it, they become free for all' or anything.

>having a JagerMech standing there
>ASFs even getting within 700m of their target
Who the fuck is that pilot fucker is SO fired.

Glad you liked it, user. I've always had a soft spot for tanks that exist in real life being ported into Battletech.
>mech
Breddy gud. Reminds me of a fat Cygnus.

Well, Harmony Gold bought them off of Big West or whatever that japanese company was called. Wouldnt it revert back to japan? Or was it the Egyptian guy?

I have no clue what im talking about.

What's at stake is just the redesigned unseen and nothing more. Nothing would change as far as the classic unseen and I don't see any way of HG losing the rights to anything even being a possible result.

TRO Succession Wars pdf when?

Also, the last 3 touring the stars where posted threads ago, please update the op pastebin with them

Where are these from? They remind me of Gall Force but they aren't are they?

Those are Invid mecha. From Mospeada, or from the 3rd part of Robotech (New Generation) - take your pick. The one on the left is an Invid Scout Trooper, and the one on the right is an Invid Shock Trooper.

Regardless, HG is probably on their way with a lawsuit against user for using those images.

My assumption? It goes to the Japanese to decide that one.
HG didn't really make anything but a bad dub that mashed three barely related anime together.
You're not going to see any Macross english dubs for as long as Harmony Gold clings to the Robotech franchise.
Though personally, I really wish there was some sort of nerd mafioso or something who was really into Battletech that would convince them to write some sort of contract that allows Battletech licence holders to reproduce the unseen for use in Battletech indefinitely, but I don't see that happening.

Some sort of Dark Age MML7 ICE design?

This design from Patlabor...

For the Unseen? A scattershot of Bandai, Takara Tomy, Studio Nue, and hell probably whichever creditors of Clover at the time of their bankruptcy are still paying attention. Bandai and Takara Tomy are still toy companies, so are going to be very unlikely to cut deals; frankly the only way most of the Unseen are ever going to be seen again is if HG somehow convinces an American court they have the right to sell them, because the Japanese will be uninterested as a matter of policy.

For , you do know HG approved a Macross English dub a few years ago, right?
If HG loses control of the video content Studio Nue will be able to license other companies to release it directly, but HG has also been doing this and their holdup seems to be primarily about...

Item C. The "Macross" trademark in the US. This they have an extremely solid claim on, because trademarks have nothing to do with who invented what first, they just go to whoever applies first and aggressively enforces it because it's supposed to be a "this product is from the same people as the last time you bought it" guarantee. And this is why they're so enthusiastic about lawsuiting; how trademark works is that aggressively telling people "no Macross is ours alone" actually makes Macross theirs alone.
Relatedly, this seems to be why the Satelight productions have mostly removed branding like the VF-1 design itself and the UN Spacy logo. Everyone's best estimation is that "Super Dimension Fortress Walkuere Delta" could release tomorrow and be 100% in the clear, but every other licensor realizes that HG could make it a million-dollar lawsuit on a series that would charitably earn them $500k, and HG wants to leave that ambiguity while they extract every cent they can from Robotech (to, remember, make THEIR money back after being scammed by someone who couldn't actually sell them the rights.)

t. worked in licensing

dude, your crazy.

The rights were purchased to that Manga by Popps Magillicutty in 1973 from a Taiwanese teenager who lived with the infamous "boat people" who smuggled people up and through vietnam. He won them in a knife fight with the young boys mother, who he then later married.

I can't believe you've never heard of Popps Magillicutty.

Look, its not our fault the North Vietnamese government did not reimburse you for your talents, but what they choose to broadcast between the hours of 1 and 3 PM and whatever subliminal technology they are using is their business.

Communists are notorious for not respecting copyright claims.

Ya I doubt we'll be waiting that long to hear anything.

I think you've heard all you're going to hear from CGL any way.

They basically plead no contest and accepted judgement in default, then canned their plans for the reseen.

I think you'll only hear more from CGL in the unlikely event that PGI/HBS win the court case and they use it as the basis of an appeal. And I say unlikely because the odds that they'll settle out of court and/or lose are cumulatively higher than their odds of winning.

>Item C. The "Macross" trademark in the US. This they have an extremely solid claim on, because trademarks have nothing to do with who invented what first, they just go to whoever applies first and aggressively enforces it because it's supposed to be a "this product is from the same people as the last time you bought it" guarantee. And this is why they're so enthusiastic about lawsuiting; how trademark works is that aggressively telling people "no Macross is ours alone" actually makes Macross theirs alone.
>Relatedly, this seems to be why the Satelight productions have mostly removed branding like the VF-1 design itself and the UN Spacy logo. Everyone's best estimation is that "Super Dimension Fortress Walkuere Delta" could release tomorrow and be 100% in the clear, but every other licensor realizes that HG could make it a million-dollar lawsuit on a series that would charitably earn them $500k, and HG wants to leave that ambiguity while they extract every cent they can from Robotech (to, remember, make THEIR money back after being scammed by someone who couldn't actually sell them the rights.)

That's one of the bullshit parts.
It was fine when Macross Plus came to the US, when Macross II came to the US and one more got through before they sniped the trademark and demanded the Japanese to pay them.

Fatto chanso whaitto piggu.

It's funny because it at least shows they're aware the later shows are better than what they have and ling to so much they felt threatened by them.

The designs? Studio Nue.
However, as long as Battletech does not use the drawing from Macross again, they couldn't give less of a shit about what we do with the redesigns.

I don't know if this is good for that mech, but here's a try at it. Maybe someone can do better.

New Mek
IS advanced
35 tons
BV: 731
Cost: 2,679,660 C-bills

Movement: 5/8
Engine: 175
Heat Sinks: 10 [20]

Internal: 58 (Endo-Steel)
Armor: 116/119 (Ferro-Fibrous)
Internal Armor
Center Torso 11 16
Center Torso (rear) 5
Right Torso 8 13
Right Torso (rear) 3
Left Torso 8 13
Left Torso (rear) 3
Right Arm 6 11
Left Arm 6 11
Right Leg 8 16
Left Leg 8 16

Weapon Loc Heat
HVAC/2 CT 1
MML 3 RA 2
MML 3 LA 2

Ammo Loc Shots
HVAC/2 Ammo RT 30
MML 3 SRM Ammo RT 33
MML 3 LRM Ammo RT 40

Equipment Loc
----------------------------------
CASE RT

Well, it's cheap as shit and it critseeks at 21 hexes, but... I wouldn't rely on it in any extended action.

So with the lawsuits in the pipe, what's going to happen to our favorite franchise? Will the ShimSeen be discarded? Does this put the new game in jeopardy? Is there any way for Catalyst/PGI/HBS to fight this and win?

They used all the great designs from the original Macross / Robotech, all except the best one

Although to be fair, the Destroid Monster looks more like a 150 ton, and it's shown configuration has 4 dorsal artillery cannons pretty evenly spaced, The standard construction rules couldn't really fit that

Might try to make a conversion of a King Crab KGC-0000 in a minute

>I really wish there was some sort of nerd mafioso or something who was really into Battletech that would convince them to write some sort of contract

Dude... if there was a nerd mafioso who was into BattleTech, he wouldn't be writing contracts, he would be putting out contracts. We wouldn't be hearing about a lawsuit, instead the media would be wondering why someone killed off a real estate development firm.

The Destroid Monster would have been a good showing for the Superheavy rules if they wanted something that didn't look like a complete joke.

When you compare it in size to the other Macross mecha, it would clearly need to be a superheavy in BT. Although I'd guess 200t rather than 150t.

Good eyes though; that's Artmic design work. One of the better studios, they were responsible for Gall Force, Mospeada, Bubblegum Crisis, MADOX, and a bunch of other stuff. Big names that came out of them include Shinji Aramaki and Kenichi Sonoda.

>all except the best one

actually user...

miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/?title=BattleDroids

I'm still amused that they reused the battledroids mini for the Bombardier. I don't know why, it just makes me giggle.

Alright, so by the Fluff the Monster has three missile launch tubes in either arm and 4*400mm artillery cannons on its back,

To me, this sounds more like 6*Arrow IVs and 4*Thumpers, but I'm using introtech, and I said I'd convert this from a KGC-0000 because it sounded like the closest thing

Thus I substituted LRM 15s to represent the missile launch tubes, and AC/2s because they're long ranged cannons and the lightest AC I could mount, at this time I was basically out of tons

Luckily I didn't actually have to remove anything other than the weapons and the LAA/Hands from the King Crab, and I bought it another heat sink to keep it heat-neutral,

Moved 1 heat sink to let me mount two of the AC/2s in center torso, and the other two are lonely in their respective side torsos sitting ontop of their ammo,

would have been a more practical engineering choice to put the AC/2 ammo into the arms, but that didn't make as much sense from a fluff perspective

So here, have my lame excuse for a Destroid Monster, please refrain from laughing

Oh goodness that's silly, so the Behemoth / Stone Rhino was originally envisioned as the Destroid Monster?

I guess that helps explain its two gauss rifles awkwardly forced into one barrel problem, but then, what were the other two dorsal barrels for?

here's my post-jihad take on the Monster, at 190 tons

>190 tons
>2/2 movement
>quad iHGRs
[Approving Lyran Sounds]

More that the BD Behemoth was after the fact supposed to be Amaris' Folly that served as the basis for the Stone Rhino, with OG TRO 3055 phrased it so as to suggest Behemoth was the name of the original Amaris mech, but XTRO Boondoggles officially stats it and names it Matar.

I think the original fluff says the Monster is 285.5 tons. Okay I'm fine with that, but I remember the old Palladium books saying it didn't have a lot of ammo, like 10 shots per gun or something.

>but I remember the old Palladium books saying it didn't have a lot of ammo, like 10 shots per gun or something.
that they did

also it was 285 when most other mechs were in the ~20-30 ton range, so in battletech it'd be probably be more like 400-500 tons

which is enough for quad Long Toms and six Arrow IVs, which is the most accurate armament for the thing

Nice, that's definitely far more worthy of the name Monster

That's pretty cool, I hadn't known about the Matar until now, sounds more like the Behemoth from MW4W with two side torso Gauss and a dorsal Large Laser

Do the Superheavy Construction rules even allow for such a thing?

I think we are getting close to the Mobile Structure rules at this point.

200 tons is max superheavy.

The largest limiting factors tend to be the combat fusion engines after blakists fixed the actuator problems. On something that weighs 500 tons, you have to start talking about shit like stuffing dropship power plants into it.

You can make mobile structures as big as you want though. You just can't give them walking legs.

At this point it looks like Weisman's knowingly baited numerous people into investing in ventures that directly violate the legal rights of a known high capital IP marauder. There's no "oops" here. There's no way to make this an accident. Weisman is looking more complicit by the hour.

no, they do not, which is the issue

>Violate the legal rights

They have no claim to either the Shadow Hawk OR the Atlas which they are claiming.

They don't plan to actually claim those. They're just padding the case so they can "bargain down" to get what they're really after.

Translated from Americanese: they lie in court to extort money from independent small businesses less expert in legal affairs, and the law and the judges back them in the pursuit as something normal and in due course.

Yeah pretty much.

>what were the other two dorsal barrels for?
Ammo hatches, maybe.

It's a spot light, here is a picture of the front line US tank at the time the Anime the Warhammer comes from was made, notice the huge spotlight.

Cyclops with monocle: the tank.

At the time the M-60 tank was designed IR equipment wasn't very good, so the spotlight is Infrared, it doesn't visably iluminate the tank at night unless the enemy has IR equipment as well. I think mostly it was a way to see at night without the giant "Bomb Here" sign of a visable spotlight, because Soviet tanks had the same kind of IR systems.

Yeah, BT is funny in that mechs use searchlights on vehicles that detect everything in visual, light amp, thermal, seismic, and goddamn magscan with internal equipment. Even worse is the fact that these equipment are still somehow so halfassed that night fighting incurs large penalties on mechs, and that a stupid floodlight will help negate those.

It's the future of the 80's

here's my best try for a close to canon Monster
Using quad torso thumpers and Thunderbolt-5s

Harmony Gold never had the rights to the designs themselves, just the rights to produce the show in the US. Frankly, even that is in question because the guy who sold those rights didn't have the authority to.
It just hasn't been directly contested yet, and requires jumping into the quagmire of international copyright laws.

Have that thing waddle near an enemy spaceport with all of their dropships. Watch the fun.

that's actually pretty good
I'd use it

>Even worse is the fact that these equipment are still somehow so halfassed that night fighting incurs large penalties on mechs
Half assed nothing, the way BTs daylight/weather rules work none of that shit effectively even exists. Even the minor nod to IR with heat levels are so steep at 15 points that they rarely matter.

I'd say it's reasonable to just say standard rules are the basically way things actually work at all times, and that's why night fighting and similar rules fall under the optional realm just for folks that want extra flavor.

The issue here is that going by those rules even older than 80s tech was better.

That's the thing. Copyright can't be sniped, but trademark can, because trademark is a consumer protection rather than a creator protection.

You don't have to like it, but you do have to acknowledge that this is reality.

ICE-powered, 2 MML 7s and 2 MGs, I'd say.

Is a 80's kid, everyone was shocked by the effectiveness of US night fighting equipment in the '91 Gulf War. The details of what 80's equipment could do were clasified, so 80's game designers were basing their realish sci-fi technology on what they knew things could do, which was what 70's stuff could do. The same thing happened with Aliens, no one had man portable night vision.

They wouldn't lose the rights, it's a matter of what rights they have, which are distribution rights. The trademark clame is over reaching their rights, CGL, PGI, and HBS are not selling copies of the Macross films or show, so it's going to come down to HG not having standing to sue.

>Translated from Americanese

It's not Americanese, it's Legalese. Most sane Americans know our legal system is fucked, we just wouldn't be able to mass enough firepower to put them all down before the armed forces would be called in.

>sane Americans

See, there's where you wander into double negatives already.

>When you compare it in size to the other Macross robots.

While it is true the design originally required a contigent of three pilots, they did minimize these things a lot after the Zentradi War.
Also, size is not exactly a great measure for BTech translations considering all Zentradi machines are designed for Zentradi and thus much bigger than Valkyries and Destroids so if the game were to incorporate that, they'd already be hitting the 100t territory for each of them.

Plus they're only 56% white.

When did Lyran and Feddie battle armor designs diverge in terms of what RCTs might be issued? Was it a clean split with the Lyran secession?

Pretty much. Which is basically all second generation suits. So you only get shares for Inner Sphere, Gray Death, and so on.

Ironically, doesn't seem the MUL took any of this into account and gives a bunch to each other despite being made years after the 3057 secession only to then make them exclusive during the FCCW. Like they all got destroyed in their big not fighting anything but a couple premier units sent for Bulldog/Serpent or something.

Even though the destroids were shorter, I think it was a good idea by FASA to make them 60-70 tons. Maybe the Stinger / Wasp should have been heavier.

Stinger and Wasp should have been variants of the same design, honestly. They should have mirrored that with the Phoenix Hawk too; a version that has a Large Laser and some missile racks; maybe an LRM5 and SRM2?

So apparently Clan Snow Raven has a naval phenotype in addition to the standard three. Is there any information on what exactly they're breeding for? Also does anyone have any pictures for what the aerospace pilots are supposed to look like?