Weird Maps

Do you have any interesting dungeon maps?

That map is fuckin evil yo

I agree. Got any more?

>just a regular 3D cube
We need to go deeper.

I don't have any mapped out but I have a bunch of blank polyhedrons that I want to draw maps on and use. Something like a D30 with all the facets mapped out to be one large dungeon, with some unnameable thing at its center that you're trying to kill, sounds pretty sweet. Even better if you get the beginning and exit to line up

Yep.

I have a deep desire to actually map this, or at least a single tesseract dungeon

This one's small, but its a cool idea I want to make bigger. Or a bunch of barrows built on a battlefield with a variety of discarded giant weapons.

I think there's a 1-page dungeon that tries to do that or something similar. Don't remember which one though.

I'd need to see it and maybe hold it in 3d space to understand it. I'm still trying to comprehend why the tops of room A and room B are the same

Yeah, there were/have been a few of them that advise doing just that. Wasn't my thing so I didn't specifically save them, but there's a few around.

Really like this one.

This is more a neat idea that doesn't have a very interesting dungeon in it. I find that happens with dyson's stuff fairly often and end up modding them so they're less linear but it seems trickier with fingers. Could just put it by the barrow from earlier to make it larger though.

After some super autistic d6 stacking, I at least understand the tesseract geometry. Now to map out 8 cubic dungeons (OP pic related) and place connecting tunnels through out.

I actually run this. I basically run a 4D dungeon, except I make it special by "extending" the 3D "faces" eastward. Fittingly, it's a beholder's lair.

>using platonic solids to model hypercube dungeon thought experiment
Pretty cool.

How do the players map it? Do you let them know before hand?

Well It stemmed from the logic that you could make a net of a cube with squares, so a net of a tesseract would be made of cubes.

It seemed like a good idea.

I'm out of maps tho.

Not that they'll be out very quickly, but im working on a mapped out tesseract dungeon because of this thread.

Put it into a pdf and post that shit when you're done.

Bah, tesseracts are still to euclidian. Clearly, what we need is an hyperbolic dungeon.

There's so much space in hyperbolic space, and with the right curvature you can tile it with heptagons.

I'd like to see the party try to map the damned thing.

I'd like to see the GM map the damned thing.

Give me about a month and I'll probably have it. Maybe I'll have something public to store my progress so people can see it

what, you mean like this fucking classic?

Aaannnddd because some asshole just HAD to one up that...

Seriously, though, I'd love to see this in play. I don't think anyone in my group is ambitious enough to do it as anything other than a gag and I'm a shit-tier GM, so I can only dream.

Well what im currently building is a normal tesseract so the first map you posted is sort of a simplified version of what im building. Im not making an 8 room tesseract dungeon. Im making something of an 8 level mega dungeon. Each level is the inside of a cube, each face has a tunnel leading to another cube. Plus I'm at least attempting to properly populate the cubes as I go.

I want to do a non-euclidean map based on Penrose Tiling

I went and took this picture for you and you already had done it

Veeky Forums why do you do this to your players? Is it love or hate that drives you to this exquisite and sustained cruelty?

man i thought you meant coz of the inverted cross

Ok, so how do I read this? It looks like each coloured group is one cluster of cubes, each coloured square of that group is a room, and each small square on on a coloured square is a door.

But what is the small coloured square attached to the corner of a square mean. How does someone access it if my idea that small squares are doors?

ffffffffuuuuuck you

My question is, would the players ever figure it out? If I was to run a dungeon like this do I tell them? Or just let them go in circles forever?

I've literally just been lifting zelda maps, sequentially, for my OD&D group's dungeon layouts and pacing. I'm halfway through zelda 2 and nobody's noticed yet.

We'll see if something clicks when I pull them all through a mirror and turn them into rabbits.

Let them figure it out.

They either do or they don't and wander around until they eventually find the way out.

That's the point of this thing. Its a maze that actually can be figured out. They don't just grind their way through random turns, they should stop and think a moment and grasp the concept. Then there's that delicious moment of terror when they realize that it could be much larger than they think.

There's a Delta Green scenario like this, where the exit is a sequence of room visits.

Having bad guys in the dungeorract carrying 3D wire ornaments that work as a key/map might be the sort of thing that eventually lead players to work it out.

Or the Tourist Information kiosk that is a giant set or drawers, each containing one such map/ornament/wire scultpure.

I've been putzing around with a reversible mat using Sonic Adventure textures for some easy terrain.

How are you translating the 2D into grid? Got any pics?

This is delicious. Thank you very much for posting it.

>hypercube dungeon

lol, good luck DMing that one

The pose really reminds me of this

That description is wrong. A hypertesseract has 10 tesseracts in it, not 8. Each tesseract does have 8 rooms in it with a door on each face, that is correct. And each of those rooms does connect to a different tesseract. So you might be wondering, "how can each room lead to a different tesseract if there are 10 tesseracts and only 8 rooms?" Well, for each tesseract there will be another tesseract that is on the opposite side of the hypertesseract. There are no shared rooms between these two tesseracts. In addition, no room is shared with the same tesseract. As you can see, in the diagram the "double" room goes back to the center room of the tesseract. It should lead to a different tesseract altogether.

So, I thought I might try to explain higher dimensional hypercubes and the way to visualize them.

First of all, it is important to understand what exactly a square is. Let's consider a shape in a Cartesian grid (a Cartesian grid is the most basic kind of grid, with the x-axis and y-axis (and maybe more if you decide to add more dimensions) at perpendicular angles). A cube can be made from a set of four points with the following properties I) all coordinates are either 0 or 1 and II) all but two of the coordinates are the same for all four points. Not all squares fit this description, but all sets of four points that meet these properties in any Cartesian grid (no matter how many dimensions) will be a square. And any square that does not have these properties can be made to fit these properties with Euclidean transformations.

Can we similar rules work for a cube? Yes.
A set of eight points is a cube if I) all coordinates are either 1 or 0 and II) all but three of the coordinates are the same for all eight points.

We can continue this pattern for any higher dimensional hypercubes. A set of 2^n points define a n-dimensional hypercube if I) all coordinates are either 1 or 0 and II) all but n coordinates are the same for all 2^n points

(cont)

>so this dungeon thingy, its really just a bunch of rocks and caves and shite
>not really much to dun there at all is it?
>got a church 'round this big sleeping naked guy
>big waste of time you ask me, gonna wake up and muck the whole place

I want to make this in Twine.

So lets look at a 5-dimensional hypercube (a hypertesseract).

It is the set of points
(0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
(0, 0, 0, 0, 1)
(0, 0, 0, 1, 0)
(0, 0, 0, 1, 1)
(0, 0, 1, 0, 0)
(0, 0, 1, 0, 1)
(0, 0, 1, 1, 0)
(0, 0, 1, 1, 1)
(0, 1, 0, 0, 0)
(0, 1, 0, 0, 1)
(0, 1, 0, 1, 0)
(0, 1, 0, 1, 1)
(0, 1, 1, 0, 0)
(0, 1, 1, 0, 1)
(0, 1, 1, 1, 0)
(0, 1, 1, 1, 1)
(1, 0, 0, 0, 0)
(1, 0, 0, 0, 1)
(1, 0, 0, 1, 0)
(1, 0, 0, 1, 1)
(1, 0, 1, 0, 0)
(1, 0, 1, 0, 1)
(1, 0, 1, 1, 0)
(1, 0, 1, 1, 1)
(1, 1, 0, 0, 0)
(1, 1, 0, 0, 1)
(1, 1, 0, 1, 0)
(1, 1, 0, 1, 1)
(1, 1, 1, 0, 0)
(1, 1, 1, 0, 1)
(1, 1, 1, 1, 0)
(1, 1, 1, 1, 1)

If we were to try to choose eight of these that satisfy the conditions to be a cube we can see that condition I is immediately met. Now we need to just choose the 2 coordinates and their values that will remain the same for every point. That is 5C2 (which is 5!/(2!(5-2!))=10)

Because there are two possible values for each of these two coordinates, we have 2^2 possibilities each time we choose our two coordinates. That means that there are a total of 40 cubes.

(cont)

We can also see how many tesseracts there are. Because we need to choose one coordinate that stays the same and it can have two different values, we see that there are 5x2=10 different tesseracts in there. THERE ARE NOT 8 TESSERACTS IN A HYPERTESSERACT!

Now, let's look at two tesseracts in the hypertesseract. [(0, x, x, x, x)] and [(x, 1, x, x, x)] where the x means that this coordinate changes between the 16 points. Something that you might notice is that [(0, 1, x, x, x)] is a set of eight points that is in both of these tesseracts