Is pic related any fun? I mean, ignoring the setting and minis which are both painfully generic...

Is pic related any fun? I mean, ignoring the setting and minis which are both painfully generic, is the actual gameplay any fun? Does it offer something that would make me want to play it over another fantasy wargame? Or is it just FFG trying to cash in on WHFB getting squatted?

Man, all I want is that Golem and those skelemen.

No idea about the game itself, sorry user. Just thought I'd be unhelpful.

I agree the skellies are great, but the Golem's a bit too Blizzard for my tastes.

>painfully generic
I actually like the cartoonish style here.

I feel like they were trying to cash in on WHFB getting the axe, but then backed down super hard when AoS started doing well, so the game's kinda dead on arrival

Skelly on worm is fucking godlike

normal skelly are neeto

Everything else is trash

It's kinda simple from what little I've played
But the factions are a fucking travesty
>Humans
>Undead Humans
>Demon Humans
>Elves

Really unfortunate.
It feels like Sigmar's going in a very specific direction, leaving room for somebody to take the niche that WHFB used to cover, but this is apparently harder then it sounds.
(Which, admittedly, might mean that WHFB's feel isn't all that useful for a wargame compared to other possible uses.)

WHFB was pretty damn big, as a result of a long time being worked on. It's pretty difficult to just swoop in and offer what people liked about it.

Skellies are indeed nito

the upcoming CMoN A Song of Ice and Fire appears to be trying to be the new WHFB

Kings of War

Also each edition of WHFB that I played, for the most part, had a very different feel too it, and you can't do it all

5th, as indicated by its unofficial moniker: Herohammer, was very much about your heroes, and the units supporting were practically equipment.

6th and 7th, both were built around the tactical ramifications of the fact that static combat resolution from being a rank&file unit (or Brettonian Knights, because that's their thing) outweighed the number of kills you could expect to get within the bell-curve, save with the most expensive of units. In simple language, it made charging the front of a block if pikemen just as foolhardy as pic-related, then made the players deal with the tactical ramifacations of that.

8th (and the 9th age fan project, which is largely 8th with some house-rules) included HUGE bonuses for having a monolithic 50-100 man horde be the centerpiece of your army, and gave those blocks sufficient defensive morale bonuses that the unit-breaking strength of the rank&file-block, making the game once again about killing all your opponent's dudes, rather than breaking their morale. In theory this should have made it feel like massive epic combat, but ultimately it just felt like throwing dice at each other until one block runs out of dudes.

KoW does a decent job at emulating a bit of all three, while being fast to play, but it lacks the tactical depth of 6th/7th, the heroic-power-fantasy of 5th, and the.... idk... whatever people liked about 8th. It is however, the best thing on the market ATM for simulating that.... except... you know... playing old versions of Warhammer.

Personally, in my free time, I'm working on a fan project that's designed to simulate the feel of 6th/7th, but be model-neutral, which I'll release for free once I'm done, because god knows I don't have the infrastructure to sell models. Exploring the tactical and/or game-design ramifications had made me feel for folks like OP pic related.

>Personally, in my free time, I'm working on a fan project that's designed to simulate the feel of 6th/7th, but be model-neutral, which I'll release for free once I'm done, because god knows I don't have the infrastructure to sell models. Exploring the tactical and/or game-design ramifications had made me feel for folks like OP pic related.

Bless you. I got in at 8th and I loved it entirely for Skaven reasons (die die man-things).

However I am sad that it broke the back of cavalry charges because the concept of Bretonnia is rad as fuck. I would love to see a tricked out 6th/7th as you described them.

That game is gonna be total trash.

i hate GoT as much as the next hipster, but why would it be garbage?

I wouldn't say Blizzard, these miniatures look straight out of the Darksiders series.

That worm would be fun for a Nurgle conversion.

I would use the hell out of those skeletons.

Clearly, AoS's days are as numbered as 40k's after the release of Sedition Wars.

Shit, I really want those soldiers for a Hyrule Army.

It looks totally lame.

Problem is, there's already a lot of other rules sets in that same niche. Not least of all, people just playing old editions or hybrids thereof.

Thanks for the write-up.

I'd never really articulated to myself what I liked about the two-and-a-half editions of Warhammer - 5th through 7th - I played, but that was a decent stab at it.

>GoT game with be trash
I'm also confused.
Or do you just have no faith in CMoN?

Are you insane user? Game has loads of hype going for it.

>Love child of Fantasy and Attack Wing, both of which have fans
>Can be played right out the box
>Super easy to expand your army
>Rules are boiled down to their essence, so no flicking through tomes of rulebooks
>Big tournament support coming through next year

Really it's bit problem is that currently there's only undead and generic humans, each with only a few troop types, so you're extremely limited on what you can play. Elves are coming out later this month, and not!Chaos shortly after, so it should be getting bigger as more things become available.

Also next two factions are dwarves and dragonmen, so there is that.

>dragonmen

I am tentatively excited about these models.

It really isn't, though. My meta swapped to KoW without even letting the body get cold. A few people tried AoS, some others tried 9th Edition, but all of those eventually folded back to KoW in less than a year.