Music thread

What music do you guys use, if any at all, when you DM? I've been recently toying with the idea of using music and sound affects to make things more fun. Ambient is sort of a given but do any of you use soundboards and plan things like that?

Related, does anyone have any songs they can thing of that just oozes the feeling of "You're at the feet of an unholy beast that you can't hope to beat"? Something that'll really make the players feel they're in over their heads.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/635fzq/i_give_you_14_of_my_dd_playlists_on_youtube_over/
youtube.com/watch?v=CLlfhrP7t_A
youtube.com/user/Vindsvept/videos
youtu.be/gWynJCi_DSY
youtu.be/SC6DvbEVHcI
youtu.be/rPKLWs3IYsg
erdenstern.com/en/
youtube.com/channel/UChmm356a5qe1luUsoatAgjA
youtube.com/watch?v=1lpf-nQFzJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=W3KXrTucFJM
youtube.com/watch?v=Rlkhj1ivNq8
youtu.be/nBigmRKd9n8?list=PLc0k4qmiKmiMIm-cU7sU__v6wdSinhvP4
youtube.com/watch?v=tftX56aCvCs
youtu.be/z2SMcn_p92Q
youtube.com/watch?v=YZw9Q3C4fM8
youtube.com/watch?v=sPIpK2qBaq4
youtube.com/watch?v=2gB8EPNEq3M
fanburst.com/amm092434
youtube.com/watch?v=NKuS5I24Mhw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/635fzq/i_give_you_14_of_my_dd_playlists_on_youtube_over/

Dark Knight sound track is good for tense battles.

youtube.com/watch?v=CLlfhrP7t_A

I used a wireless speaker and my phone to play certain types of music when needed during my last campaign. It was Dogs in the Vineyard and there was a recurring theme with a choir's singing providing a gateway to demonic possession. I would play the music when necessary.

Used sparingly, it's a very powerful tool.

youtube.com/user/Vindsvept/videos

Vindsvept is pretty good for a lot of things. Mostly has "generic" fantasy music, but it's still useful.

Shiet, that's a lot of music. That works too.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks. This is perfect.

>I used a wireless speaker and my phone to play certain types of music

Cringe.

I use generic fantasy music. Game of Thrones, Elder Scrolls, shit like that.

Only instrumental though, nothing ruins my immersion as a player like some DM playing random vocal metal or pop music while we're playing.

Oh, Midnight Syndicate's stuff is excellent if you need creepy music. I abused them liberally during our Curse of Strahd campaign.

Swans - The Seer. Listen to the album and pull out the songs with little to no lyrics.

>not playing the jonas brothers in your campaign.

The albums made for Shadows of Eastern work for most dark fantasy settings so long as you enjoy celtic music.

I'm using Surf Rock and OSS 117(a french Spy movie) soundtrack for my game of Luchadores, but only during specific part, I dont want to use music constantly

>no one here gets hammered and listens to metal
Wew, bunch of pussies on Veeky Forums today.
youtu.be/gWynJCi_DSY

youtu.be/SC6DvbEVHcI

Alternatively to bathory, been listening to a lot of Testament
youtu.be/rPKLWs3IYsg

Anybody got something that's just war drums? Like no chanting, I want straight hammering on some deep ass drums.

erdenstern.com/en/
It's pretty gud

All sorts, but as the DM I try to keep it to a low enough volume where it doesn't distract or overshadow my voice or other players when they speak.

For D&D/Fantasy RPG's I use everything from this channel.

>youtube.com/channel/UChmm356a5qe1luUsoatAgjA
>youtube.com/watch?v=1lpf-nQFzJ4

Shadowrun and cyberpunk stuff I use a mix of synthwave and Industrial music.

At the feet of an unholy beast? I know what that sounds like!
youtube.com/watch?v=W3KXrTucFJM

I've been experimenting with leitmotifs lately. Unfortunately, I'm two sessions and with a huge space in between them so the effect is already lost. A shame, too, the motif from John Williams' Dracula score is fucking perfect for a really gothic, inspirational villain. Like, he's the bad guy and there's no doubt of that, but you can also understand why he's got an army at his back.

What would go well with something like say, Delta Green?

Sp00ky music youtube.com/watch?v=Rlkhj1ivNq8

youtu.be/nBigmRKd9n8?list=PLc0k4qmiKmiMIm-cU7sU__v6wdSinhvP4

I have never found a more perfect Ravenloft style album.

This. A friend started using it during the finale of our first campaign. It made things much more intense.

I've found the Fallout 1 and 2 OSTs along with the Rango soundtrack perfect for Gamma World.

I play "Let the bodies hit the floor" whenever characters are in combat

Honestly I use stuff like this to set background noise depending on where my characters are
youtube.com/watch?v=tftX56aCvCs

The theme for the final boss in Shadow of the Colossus: Demise of the Ritual

youtu.be/z2SMcn_p92Q

I look for any video game music that uses traditional instruments and fits with the theme or the mood of the location. Then, I add all these songs in one mp3 with some fade ins/outs and perhaps some ambiance continually on a second track. Then I compile it so I can put it on loop without it being repetitive or constantly be pushing a button to get to the next or previous song.

Doom metal'll do that. Yob, Sunn0))), Earth and the like.

Hey, I was going to make a thread about this.

Whenever I look for combat music (or any non-ambient music, really) it's always some overly epic orchestral shit. Where can I find a track for a bandit encounter that doesn't sound like the party is fighting the God-King of Thieves?

I used this one for a few encounters with a big bandit gang during one campaign. Felt pretty good for early villains, but not sure if it's what you're looking for.

youtube.com/watch?v=YZw9Q3C4fM8

In general, I find that with how much overproduced orchestral bullshit inflates vidya anymore, the best place to look is at level themes and background music, rather than combat/encounter music.

Maybe a little too epic for my tastes still, although I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

I just want to run the Redbrand hideout with my new group, and have them feel like they're fighting scum and thugs who, while decently competent, aren't Robin Hood level rogues, that is all ;n;

youtube.com/watch?v=sPIpK2qBaq4
I think I might use this... it's not perfect but it's the most humble, fitting track I could find.

You might dig this track then, if that's the sort of thing you're looking for. It's not quite as humble, but honestly most shit isn't.

youtube.com/watch?v=2gB8EPNEq3M

Video games need this type of music, so look there.

They typically do this game of subtleness so well that the track you'd want playing in your campaign is not the one you'll find on the game's OST--the OST variant is arranged to be a "composition" and thus listenable.
What you need is to crack open some game audio packages and get the easily loopable, subtle music yourself. Or get friendly with stereo mix recording.

Ok what the actual fuck did he mean by this

Does anyone have some good Fanburst songs? I GM over roll20 and have trouble finding good music most of the time.

This uploader is good for a lot of fantasy music with all the orchestral vidya: fanburst.com/amm092434

I almost exclusively use SNES-era Final Fantasy music. The nice thing is that it was designed as background music, something to be listened to while trying to do something else, so it doesn't distract.

youtube.com/watch?v=NKuS5I24Mhw

My DM does this. It's okay as long as it's just in background

I use tabletopaudio.com, it's got a lot of good ambience. The nature selection is the best, great for background noise when players are traveling.