Anyone run or running a One Piece game?

Anyone run or running a One Piece game?

I played in a gritty One Piece reboot for a while. Blackbeard killed Luffy and his entire crew except Nami, who he kept as his rape-slave.

One of the adventures involved freeing her, but as soon as we undid her cuffs she grabbed the pistol out of my belt and immediately blew her own brains out.

Group was kind of pissed that we had wasted like three sessions on that but the more I think about it the more I realized we should have expected it and planned accordingly desu

Not to my knowledge. It's a great series but it's too long to get into.

>One of the adventures involved freeing her, but as soon as we undid her cuffs she grabbed the pistol out of my belt and immediately blew her own brains out

Well that's sad. Why would you bother playing in a One Piece setting like that? It'd feel nothing like OP.

Jeezus christ. That's pretty dark. Sounds like someone wanted to run a shocker game using One Piece Characters.

no, but I'd really like to be.

>kills all the crew
not really necessary.

to get that all you'd need is to kill Luffy the linchpin
Ussop would try and keep the team together, but ultimately fail.
Zoro'd go off the handle and probably die on a vengeance rampage.
chopper'd go off to be a slum-doctor
etc. etc.
it seems like a pretty predictable breakdown...

>suicide
not reasonable unless there is a chance of recapture.

for real, you might have tried to fly in the face of the grimness of the world and been a chipper, happy, fun crew anyway. like the original straw-hats

it's got it's ups and downs. give it a few dozen chapters to grow on you.
I call it better than the average of manga I've seen.

perhaps the GM was hoping they'd play it like Luffy does. in the face of grim darkness he finds the light and stands as a beacon.

>gritty
I think you misspelled "edgy."

this is some my immortal tier shit

>Blackbeard killed Luffy and his entire crew except Nami, who he kept as his rape-slave.
>One of the adventures involved freeing her, but as soon as we undid her cuffs she grabbed the pistol out of my belt and immediately blew her own brains out.

I literally can not even conceive a reason why someone who genuinely liked One Piece would run a game like that, or how anyone could have fun playing it.

>the GM was Blackbeard all along

Why would you play a One Piece tabletop when it has one of the least interesting magic systems in shonen anime.

You mean Devil Fruits or Haki?

I think Devil Fruits are interesting as fuck since they encourage you to use your abilities in creative ways to get stronger. The concept itself of being able to become a "something"-man is really interesting and there's a lot of different ideas you could explore with that.

But then everyone wants to make the most broken fruit abilities or become an unkillable Windman or Waterman.

Honestly I think the only way to truly play a OP style game is freeform, because applying rules to it would break the spirit of One Piece.
And there in lies the problem; you never know what people are like when they don't have rules telling them that no, they cannot do that.

I've tired, there are some really over powered character's people have made.

The GM can decide what's reasonable and what's not. I wouldn't even let my players start with a DF if we're playing as literal no ones in the East Blue since fruits are rare and expensive. Also a full party of DF users is a bad idea considering the powers come with the drawback of losing your capability to swim, they'd end up all drowning after a couple fights or random events.

Lets come up with some Devil Fruit Veeky Forums!!

This one might not be very original but I've often liked the idea of a paper-fruit; either allowing the user to turn into paper, or treat things like paper.
Just imagine all the origami possibilities!

I consistently run One Piece campaigns, they last anywhere from 9 months to a year and a half (real time wise). Currently working on one at the moment, will be the last time I run it for so I'm working on making sure I have the whole world fleshed out before I start, as opposed to going at it free-form.

What systems do you guys use for your One Piece campaigns, I know there is supposed to be one for One Piece in particular but from what I've seen of it it's pretty ass.

Paper sword, 10/10

There's a paper logia in one of the Gameboy games iirc. One I liked and had used for a villain I never got around to really introducing was one that allowed the user to manipulate technology and combine with it. He was supposed to be the final villain in one campaign and turn into some island sized monstrosity that had absorbed Pluton into his body for absurd destructive potential.

Power scales / powers on their own can get pretty ridiculous. I wound up looking into some multi-step Grimtooth traps, that could still be escaped and beaten given their power sets.

We one used a pretty barebones homebrew which worked ok. I'd probably use Fate Accelerated nowdays.

Wouldn't paper be too far removed from nature to make a logia fruit?

I mean, there's one made out of Mochi.

I ran a One Piece inspired game in pathfinder once. There were enough options for a pretty interesting crew and I subbed devils fruits for some magic swords, it was pretty fun

people still watch one piece? is this 2009? what's next, people are going to start talking about bleach and naruto?

I'LL CUT YOU TO ROBBINS

Mutants and Masterminds is decent for character creation. There's also systems built in for playing up character quirks and complications, as well as Extra Effort for when you need your ultimate attack.

>craftsmans skill becomes a supernaturally powerful thing
>mad science doing what mad science does
>weaboo fightan magics of course
>nearly magical naturally occurring materials
and last(and least in my opinion)
>devil fruit

>will be the last time I run it for
why?
just tired of the setting?

>people still watch the anime based on one of if not the most popular manga in the world?
Yes, as a matter of fact they do.

Sounds awful and retarded. While a TTRPG one piece game could use a slightly increased grit factor (I'm looking at you Pell), the main themes are adventure and friendship, that whole scenario sounds not only unnecessary, but also forced and cringey.

You're doing it wrong, setting up spike pits and lowering ceilings won't get you anywhere in One Piece. They're on an adventure from island to island, not dungeon crawling through a forgotten tomb (though it could make an interesting session.)

Generally, the largest threats in One Piece come not from hazards and traps, but from characters themselves, directly or indirectly. It's not just a test of strength either, especially in the first half of the series. Arlong was infinitely more threatening when he trapped Luffy underwater, same thing with Don Kreig when he began to destroy the ruined ship, and eventually turned the entire battlefield into a Devil Fruit user deathzone via MH5.

What it comes down to is making sure that (at least in the beginning) players cannot perform post timeskip stunts, or have access to Logia devil fruits. The most important factor is GM creativity, as they have to exploit and utilize power weaknesses and environment in ways that allow for the tide of battle to swing either way. Enel may have had his powers completely invalidated by Luffy, but he was still able to use creative maneuvers to burn, pierce, and eventually force him out of the fight.

funny enough this scenario could actually happen in the OP universe (though with different characters of course).

Speaking of Gritty has anyone every played a One Piece theme Rogue Trader game? There's a lot of parallels (WG = Imperium, Haki = Psyker, etc.)

>no Logia rule

not that hard

>funny enough this scenario could actually happen in the OP universe
yeah, but it wouldn't happen "on camera" its the sort of thing that should only happen as a back-story or as a told story.