EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Old News" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Which Commander 2017 deck are you excited for and why is it Grixis Wizards?

Other urls found in this thread:

sys.Veeky
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/list-of-edh-staxgroup-slug-cards/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>no discord

:^)

What are some fun green black commanders who interact with the graveyard other than Meren?

Hey, I'm really trying to get my vorel deck to not suck, you guys have any suggestions?
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftappedout.net%2Fmtg-decks%2Fhypothetical-vorel-v2%2F

Jarad, glissa, varolz.

Let me know if any work for you

Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Ghave, Guru of Spores (if you add white)

Different Golgariguy who came back to EDH after a 2 year hiatus.. any new token creating creatures I should know off for Savra stax?

Haha, OP, you seemed to have forgotten the Discord info. Here it is:

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just try to be less forgetful next time.

Pls don't start shit

Guys, should I build talrand or red omnath?

I don't want two token producing decks, but I'm not sure which is better

fix land base

take out jank common creatures

don't play cards just because they synergize with Vorel; play card that are good on their own

...what would the jank commons be? Sapphire drake?

Depends on your playstyle, Omnath is very timmy but fun to play.

Sorry that sounded ruder than I meant, I just wanted to ask for elaboration, like should I remove all commons?

Nigga just don't acknowledge it.

omnath is more fun

glissa is super fun

I run a Vorel deck, lots of fun. Huge ramp, draw lots of a cards, massive bombs.

Protean Hydra, Primordial hydra come to mind. Rashmi doesn't fit the deck but is just good. Sage of Hours can be fired off fast too for an extra turn.

Everflowing Chalice for ramp.

Why use Swan Song instead of Counterspell?

Bioshift has some great uses. You can shift a heap on counters from one creature to another to deal massive damage, or to exploit other effects. Put them all on Gyre Sage and drop a massive Genesis Wave. Move them onto Fathom Mage and draw a glut of cards. It has many exploits.

Doubling Season and maybe Parallel Lives, if token play a big part in the final deck. Bred for the Hunt is value too.

Your deck has good land search for ramp, but you need more card draw, either the blue staples or things like Triumph of Ferocity and Soul of the Harvest, Cream of the Crop.

Can this guy be good?

>Thread Question:
None until I see what goes inside each and every one of them.

sure, why not

For the guy looking for draw in Prossh.
S K U L L C L A M P

I mean...there are plenty of creatures that create Eldrazi Scion tokens.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of freedback I was looking for. swan song is from when I ran a much more mana light version of this build, forgot to switch it over.

I was thinking of throwing in rhystic study, but I don't know what to cut for it?

Soooo... even the oracle text doesnt use the word target.

Can this pick up my phantasmal image?

Also thoughts on magistrate's scepter?

yep

Ramos is going to be
B
R
O
K
E
N

I've not had a great time with proliferate, other than Inexorable Tide which keeps going off. Most spells with proliferate (Fuel for the Cause) seem a bit over costed for an added on effect that's a bit small potatoes adding single counters compared to the various doubling effects you have.

Maybe Solidarity of Heroes would be ok. Also forgot Mycoloth earlier, he likes counters.

how do i ramp in WU? am i just running normal rocks or is there something im not seeing?

I've got one but not tried it yet. Might get a lot of hate from other players!

Beyond the usual colourless ramp, there's Marble Diamond, Pearl Medallion and stuff like Land Tax to help. Blue has some equivalents.

Caged Sun and Gauntlet of Power.

Rocks are mostly better, but there is some ramp in UW. Mainly Kor Cartographer e Dreamscape Artist.

not that user, but i think you should mostly look into cutting the high cmc stuff that doesn't do much

Sapphire Drake
Crowned Ceratok
Battlefront Krushok

You should also up the land count to like 36 at least

You've found a lot of spicy tech for Vorel, which is good, but a lot of times you're better off using an overall better card for the same purpose. For your deck, I'd consider running something like Pathbreaker Ibex as a trample enabler instead.

I also don't think profilerate is ever really worth it. Those cards do nothing unless you already have a bunch of creatures AND you have counters on them, at which point all profilerate does is make those creatures slightly stronger. So I'd cut

Fuel for the Cause
Inexorable Tide

and maybe Tezzeret's Gambit, although that card is a little better than the other profilerate cards.

You might also want to run stuff like Momentous Fall and Life's Legacy to take advantage of your massive creatures. And you could run Heroic Intervention to protect your board when people inevitably tries to wipe it

>yfw the commander set comes with snow basic lands

Solemn Simulacrum, Knight of the White Orchid, Kor Cartographer, Burnished Hart, and even Sun Titan with fetches are all creatures that help you ramp. Also Tithe, Land Tax, and Eternal Dragon are good ways to make sure you hit your land drops.

Actually Pathbreaker Ibex might not be that good, maybe run Rancor instead since you'll only really have one really huge fatty out

Oh, and Murkfiend Liege, seeing as they banned Prophet of Kruphix. But it was busted to be fair.

Why would it? Snow-covered is a shitty parasitic mechanic that WotC wants to ignore.

I'd take full art basics before snow basics every day.

im heavy on white so pearl would be good, already have caged sun but gauntlet would be a nice addition, just worried about getting to 5 mana at this point though

not a fan of creature ramp but dreamscape might work. my only problem is i have nothing that gets land back from the graveyard and no real graveyard synergizes

knight of the white orchid is going in i think, thats pretty decent plus it gives me a blocker early which is important in my meta

Run artifact tutors. Fabricate, Trinket/Trophy Mage, Whir of Invention.

While you're right, they don't interact with Savra at all, unless you're sporting Darkest Hour.
I don't think there's anything mindblowing come out in the recent years for the colours, but Ophiomancer and the flip vampire from innistrad are pretty good. Seems like most of the recent good token generators are white.

What do you guys do when work is slow, you won't get to play in 2 weeks and have stuff to come in the mail?
Alternatively, does anyone else suffer heavily from anxiety and can't take many pills due to too many side effects?

If you're talking about the zendikar/bfz and so lands, they're piss ugly. Un-lands are mostly nice.
Zedikar full arts were cute at first, but now that they're all over the place, even the bland white-border plains look pretty.
Worst of all, everyone wants to use those stupid cereal bowl islands

It's gay now, no thanks.

If anxiety is stronger than side effects then willingness is really wanting to be a "good boy" to be fawned over.

Preech it.

I usually get together with some schmucks on cockatrice and play a Voltron deck, and no, but I haven't gotten my prescription refilled even though I've been out for a week.

I can't play with anyone due to being on the ends of the earth and not wanting to play competitive, so you at least get some gaming.

I don't take any pills, so I got that going for me.

Not even when proliferating planeswaker counters or charge counters?

>Which Commander 2017 deck are you excited for
grixis wizards
>and why is it grixis wizards
because dragons suck, cats are a meme and the vamp deck has already been claimed
that and the grixis wizards deck is going to the be the most powerful of the bunch all but guaranteed

Not the hero we deserved
but the hero we needed right now

I've built red ashling , mizzix, and shu yun so far. Wanna build something with a different playstyle, what do you guys recommend?

It's at its absolutely most useful when used with planeswalkers, the problem with that is planeswalkers make up like 3 or 4 cards out of 100 at the most and aside from that it's not hugely impactful for the cost that usually comes attached to it

Titania

GAAIV, Teeg, or Hokori

I'd try something with reanimate, Hepatra or Naya fatties.

time to play ramp
green land ramp
black swamps matter
mono blue artifacts

One of my friends has a bunch of the "japanese graveyard" swamps in his toshiro and they're cool as hell. My favorite is the sunflower plains or the one with a windmill and tulips

me too user, me too.

>Which Commander 2017 deck are you excited for and why is it Grixis Wizards?

None of them. I am least disappointed in vampire but even still its only a meh deck in my eyes. Might end up skipping this years set based on what we know so far honestly. Hopefully the other legends in the decks will at least be interesting and I can buy those singles.

Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
From Under the Floorboards if you can discard it.
Dread Summons
There's a few more zombie generating ones I can't remember off the top of my head.
Depending on how long you've been gone you might also need to grab fleshbag marauder 2.

>really like the apac and euro lands
>one comes with text
>other with only a symbol

Why am I this autistic?

Gitrog monster or brago

Brew up deck ideas. Thinking of throwing together a Selvala death and staxes. I used to have bad anxiety and used to take pills.

Everyone's different, I kicked the pills and found outlets that work for me. Been feeling much healthier since, but that might not be as easy for you.

You want to share the decklists for us?

desu im pretty excited about all but wizards. Ive already got a banging Grixis deck.
Problem is though I was going to build a Xenagos deck but it seems like the Cat King might do what he does better.

must haves for Mogis stax?
Things that punish for using lands (price of glory) but no MLD
Winter Orb, edict or choice punishment effects
Damage doublers, etc. Taking suggestions.

>Cat King might do what he does better

Xenagos lets you play actually good creatures. Cat King's basically Lost Leonin memes at best.

>must haves for Mogis stax?
a better commander
desu
hes just very impactful in edh

ok thanks, but I still would like suggestions

not*

My problem with brewing is that if I test it enough I'll end up buying the deck later and I'm already sitting at 9 decks, the last one finished only last month.
But yeah, I have some outlets that work well enough, except I can't do them at work. This slow season here really bores me to death.

I assume you play enchantments mostly? I used Leyline of Punishment and others that say that players can't gain life, and I think that Bloodchief ascension is good, as is Oppression or Painful Quandry. For lands, there's also Polluted Bonds, but it's usually too expensive and people have done ramping the time you get it out.

Are they ever going to unban this fucking thing?

>$T4KS
>no mld
>mogis
I think you might be thinking of punisher or group slug
this is not ever going to be a stax deck

maybe this will help you
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/list-of-edh-staxgroup-slug-cards/

Well, Hulk came off the List so clearly anything's got a shot.

>Zero Interaction Win: The Card
no
the problem with it is not that its effect is OP its that there is no window to respond once it starts

ah yes, Punisher is probably more what I meant.
Thanks for the list, I'll check it out.

all added!

Rise of the Dark Realms literally does the same thing but better unless you are only using Nightmare once per turn.

I don't think it would be too much of an issue. If people see bombs in your gy and aren't scrambling to tutor up their Scoozes, RiP, Relics and Spellbombs something is already wrong. If anything it would encourage more players to play additional graveyard hate, I'm sick of always being the one who has to deal with it.

>Rise of the Dark Realms literally does the same thing but better
>sun titanable enchantment
>can wait around until its time to go off
>costs 6 less mana
>cant loop like RN
yeah soooo much better

>>sun titanable enchantment
Literally fucking irrelevant, why are you letting Nightmare hit your graveyard?
>>can wait around until its time to go off
Still costs 3 mana each time.
>>costs 6 less mana
Yeah for the FIRST TIME
>>cant loop like RN
It doesn't need to fucking loop because you reborn EVERYTHING you stupid pavement ape.

>>Zero Interaction Win: The Card
Counterspell.

If you are looking for any kind of discard, Waste Not is definitely great and Mindslicer is great as well, it's personal favorite. If you keep the creature count low, Aether Flash is magnificent

>use Rise
>"okay, here's a wipe"

>Moving the goalposts

>lol Rise is better than Nightmare
>counter them both
>recur Nightmare
Wow Rise is so good.

Learn the definition of terms before applying them.

I can't commit myself to finishing a cardboard deck, so help me out guys, since my brain ain't work no more.

My LGS is Meren, Meren, Meren, Rashmi, Kambal, Prossh, Sidri, Brago, Phenax, Saffi, Ezuri 2.0, Atraxa, Saskia to name a few. Felt it was important, since people pretty much have a single deck that doesn't change often.

Over the course of a year I've tried a bunch of stuff, but the experiences differed quite a bit playing in person, rather than online. There were good times when I managed to close the game against combined forces and extremely frustrating non-games, when I couldn't make any noticeable plays in an hour or two. Though I managed to bring some untested durdly decks I've assembled the day before and be in last 3 people standing or even claiming a victory due to people forgetting I exist. My group tends to dislike complicated comboing, often going "yeah, whatever" and shuffling up when stormcount reaches 10 or permanents start pouring on the board. On the other hand, I don't care much for games when somebody drops his pieces t4-5. Winning with non-infinite combat or commander damage in a 6+ man pod seems unlikely, as well as complete reactive control of the game, so I don't even know where to start

Anafenza bears can utterly hose 4 of those decks and ruin a few more no trouble.

Currently I'm running a jeskai zombie deck with narset as my commander, also in the process of building a mono blue arcane deck with a few commanders to choose from, and tweaking a femur partner using ludvic and throsias

>stupid cereal bowl islands
God I thought I was alone in hating that art hallelujah

I really like some of the full arts but the other half are pretty bleh all things considering.

Why should they? So we can have even more gay Sultai infinite combos?

ya it's going to piss off the meren players, which will then proceed to beast within your lands for the next 2 hours

i don't think a hatebear strategy ever actually wins multiplayer games, it just makes people take you out first

i'd honestly just pick a consistent, strong and goodstuffy archetype that can answer threats and win games, and that can be a lot of things. going full silver bullet against your meta isn't really a good idea. you mentioned that one of your opponents play rashmi, but rashmi is probably the deck i'd play against those guys. or something similar.

in my experience, the trick to winning in a table with multiple tryhard decks is using politics to pit the tryhard decks against one another other while shutting down insta win combos. then when the time is right, you can just cast reins of power, insurrection, rite of replication etc. and kill the remaining weakened players. people will usually not hate you out for winning as long as you let them play their decks and enjoy feeling powerful first, a fun situational non-combo blowout is one of the more reasonable ways to win

What are some other monoblack cards like pic related? "Opponent discards and I draw", or at least cards that keep card parity for me while making opponents discard? I mean things that are the full package, not enablers like Geth's Grimoire and Waste Not.

>That one guy who puts almost no thought into his decks and plays common generals
>Also boring in character

I'm not the only one who knows this type, right?

you might be looking at how monoblack discard works the wrong way

first you cast mindslicer and kill it

then you pop your necropotence/greed/erebos and draw 7 cards

i'd like to work with discard but my meta has a lot of reanimator decks, so i think for now I will shy away from it.
This is my pre-emptive list. Any recommendations on what to replace?
The goal is to punish players a lot of their actions

Hatebears (and Stax for that matter) usually win multiplayer if they take the initiative and slow people down early so they don't have time to catch up. If you're playing Hatebears, you pretty much need to go whole hog. Too many times I see people with Hatebear decks slow the game down and never win because they think pelting someone for 6 every turn will eventually win them the game, especially if they aren't packing win-cons involving working towards an Infinite or a hard-lock combo.