/STG/ - Star Trek General

E-Sports Edition

Previous Thread: A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius Star Trek Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing
Core Rulebook
>IN NEED OF NEW LINKS

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

GF9games Star Trek: Ascendancy Board Game
-Official Page
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dWBmaKk32fE
youtube.com/watch?v=vsSdLD_YodQ
st-minutiae.com/articles/treaties/surrenderc.html
screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-differences-other-series/
3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/e11e3515-06d8-4dd1-82b0-7eb4800843b0/Federation-Planetary-Scout-WIP
youtube.com/watch?v=4lxIL1WlxSQ
trektoday.com/articles/ratings_history.shtml
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Scanning for the adventures rulebook link, anyone posted a new one?

youtube.com/watch?v=dWBmaKk32fE

>And a Miranda's torpedo pod.
>And the nacelles that don't fit the style like the Galaxy class's ones or oversized Runabout ones.

Like this? It might not be as bad if I'd scaled down the nacelles instead of using full sized galaxy ones.

Scale down the nacelles and you would have a really nice looking ship.

How about adding a phaser lance like in Galaxy-X?
Hell, let's make it three while we are at it!

I'll have to do that later.

That is a genuinely good looking Protagonist Ship.

Looks like a sort of deep space survey ship if we can assume the extra bulk on the back end is for small craft and supplies.

Honestly, the Galaxy nacelles are sticking out like a sore thumb. Would be better if you used the Intrepid nacelles.

Still looks better than Discovery.

Gotta go full kitbash, which means using poorly chosen engines and always including the rollbar because apparently everything needs one.

Oh, could add a 3rd nacelle down the centre-line, that'd really 'work'.

See

How about flipping the Nebbie pod around so that it's backwards? I think it might look good with the trailing edge swept forward...

Koppel#0941

And thanks! Have a group of friends that have been wanting to try this one.

Sent you a thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=vsSdLD_YodQ

Totally did not tear up a bit at that, honest.

Something else he did was that when Star Trek the Animated Series was being cast, the studio wanted to cast other people for the roles of Uhura and Sulu. Doohan threatened to break contract if they didn't at least offer the roles to Nichols and Takei.

He seems like a genuinely very nice man.

Shame he died of... well basically everything.

Goddamn man, I did not need these feels.

Interesting story, ex girlfriend has an uncle who knows Shatner. Chatted with the guy a bit about a decade ago and he we were chatting about Star Trek and shit because of that and I asked if he had ever met any other crew members (he didn't) but he remembers the day DeForrest Kelley died because apparently Shatner called him and was on the verge of tears and was all choked up and shit.

Wonder if he got a call the day Leonard Nimoy passed...

Damn, that's a hell of a story. I know Shatner and Nimoy didn't have the best relationship, but it's nice to be reminded that they were in fact friends and one did mourn the other's passing.

It must be insane to meet a stranger and then watch as they become that kind of massive presence in your life. I can only imagine what that's like. I have old and dear friends but nothing on the scale of 50 years.

st-minutiae.com/articles/treaties/surrenderc.html
TL;DR
>The Cardassian Union, within her frontiers as they were on Stardate 50536.8, will, for the purposes of occupation, be divided into three zones, one to be allotted to each power as follows (see related map)
>The Cardassian System, including Cardassia Prime, will be occupied by forces of each of the three powers. An inter-Allied governing authority consisting of three commandants, appointed by their respective commanders-in-chief, will be established to direct jointly its administration.

I’ve never thought about it before, but post-Dominion War Cardassia makes for an extremely compelling setting.

>Klingons go klingon, taking prizes and wealth while grinding the Cardassians underfoot. Every few months another political incident occurs because Cardy refugees keep fleeing into the Romulan and Federation zones. The Klingons tackle this problem by overly fortifying their borders and hunting down deserters, enforcing a blockade.
>Romulans don’t plan on keeping their territory beyond the end of the decade. Instead they recruit the few remaining power players left in the Obsidian Order and put them and the Tal’shiar to work, running multiple espionage operations. Lots of pandering to Cardassian nationalists, no intention of following through. Probably going to sell their territory to the Klingons just to make everyone angry.
>Starfleet is the backbone of the recovery effort, keeping industrial replicators in the region while focusing on rebuilding infrastructure and policing their space.

(cont)

>Galaxy-Class vessel is called in to serve as a neutral diplomatic station over Cardassia Prime, hosting the Commandants alongside the shit show of the interim Cardassian government and a single Vorta left behind to represent the Dominion.
>Klingon Commandant is old as fuck and just wants a nice cozy planet he can retire to, dreaming of drinking bloodwine on his porch while watching Cardies work the fields.
>Romulan Commandant pities the Cardies, but mostly pities herself, because there’s a backbreaking amount of bureaucracy on her shoulders and the Senate wants to hide behind the Neutral Zone again. She believes in and supports the reunification with Vulcan.
>Starfleet Commandant is a moderate Andorian that doesn’t trust anyone as far as he can throw them. Firm but fair, but mostly firm, lacking in subtlety but an expert in managing situations exactly like this one. Mostly focused on restoring peace in the short term, then getting reassigned.
>Interim Cardassian Government is in shambles, held up by respected public figures under overwhelming pressure. Constantly being forced to compromise and grovel is causing deep schisms to form across the union, especially with the Klingon blockade.
>The Vorta was left behind to coordinate Dominion withdrawal from Cardassian space. Originally he was meant to be gone within 500 days, but ships and Alpha Jem’Hadar have gone missing. He’s been murdered four or five times by now, but the Dominion keeps printing out replacements.
>The Galaxy-Class has been fitted to launch a small fleet of shuttlecraft. The “Four in a Runabout” method requires one Cardassian (unarmed), one Klingon, one Romulan and one member of Starfleet present for all security and diplomatic operations.

So what do you think? Would you play Star Trek: The Third Man?

>Would you play Star Trek: The Third Man?
First, great reference to a great film. Second, yes, yes I would. Fuck the Klinks though, seriously. They just can't do fucking anything right.

>1950s Germany, In Space!
Fund it.

Some more threats for players to deal with, whether they’re playing as a ship or as the crew of a Runabout;
>A handful of Galor and Keldor class vessels are gone along with a whole mountain of weapons. The delicious irony of their situation is lost on the True Way as they organise resistance in all zones, raiding ally supply lines meant for Cardassian civilians. The Klingons and Romulans are organising a bushfire, probably intent on wiping them all out.
>Rumours circulate of two or three Dominion ships turned pirate, probably carrying squads of Alpha Jem’Hadar. Vorta continues to deny Founder responsibility, but paranoia fuels conspiracy theories from rogue Changeling to genetic experiments.
>Ferengi privateers disgusted with Nagus Rom’s liberal leadings pour into the Ally Zones to earn themselves quick latinum. Mostly focused on smuggling, but for the right price they’ll carry Cardies across the Klingon blockade. Mostly the Ferengi are paving the way for the Orion Syndicate, who are quickly muscling in on black markets.
>Colonies in the demilitarised zones that weren’t completely wiped out by the Jem’Hadar absolutely hate the Unions and the Federation equally. No resistance as impressive as the Marquis yet, but expect the few survivors to cause a whole mess of political problems.

Any suggestions?

>Starfleet Commandant is a moderate Andorian that doesn’t trust anyone as far as he can throw them. Firm but fair, but mostly firm, lacking in subtlety but an expert in managing situations exactly like this one. Mostly focused on restoring peace in the short term, then getting reassigned.
Counterpoint: Admiral Edward Jellico

Ah, fuck, you're completely right. I knew I was thinking of someone while writing that.

>>Colonies in the demilitarised zones that weren’t completely wiped out by the Jem’Hadar
>implying any are left

>Admiral Edward Jellico
Killed fleeing a starfleet ship after being taken over by a neural parasite.

I love how the apparent proximity of Earth to Qo'nos, Romulus, and Cardassia means that these empire all by necessity have the capital of their great map blob right near the edge, like the galaxy is pizza slices and there are eight pepperoni arranged in the center and none anywhere else.

Also, fuck this alpha-beta Earth meridian bullshit, the stellar cartographers should have arranged it so that a line from the center of the galaxy to the midpoint between Vulcan, Andoria, Tellar, and Earth exactly bisected the alpha quadrant.

Given how all the races are generally referred to in the shaw as Alpha Quadrant races, including the Klingons and Romulans, I just tend to head-canon that the meridian line doesn't exist and Sector 001 is purely a product Federation nomenclature.

Garak as the head of the new Obsidian Order could be fun, especially if one of the Romulans recognizes him.

Honestly, Stitch In Time is so good that it should be canonized as part of the game's setting. read it because it's good.

I don't know if this is true or not but I do remember reading somewhere that in the very early stages of DS9's development, Jellico was supposed to be the captain of the station.

Can you imagine him as the the emissary?

>Jellico conquers the Prophets and retroactively destroys the Dominion with wormhole fuckery and a sample of Odo's base form

Decided to try this out.

And without the Miranda roll bars.

I like the layout for the quad nacelles but I think the pod looked better the other way around, the lines flowed better.

Would being your own great grandfather increase the risk of being born with a birth defect?

No wonder the DoTI hates predestination paradoxes.

No, because there's too much genetic difference at that stage.

Looks predatory but hefty, sorta Romulan...
Intrepid nacelles don't work either: maybe instead of nacelles, make bits of the nebula pod glow?

Whose excited for STD!!!!!
This is going to be the best show ever made. All the reviewers are giving it a 10/10 and the show isnt even made yet!
>pic related
We get to follow her on her journey to discover the galaxy as she discovers herself as a woman! #HYPE
screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-differences-other-series/

>How about adding a phaser lance like in Galaxy-X?
>Hell, let's make it three while we are at it!
Phaser lances are big. An Intrepid hull has difficulty handling 2 even with the Nebula Module.

Brace yourself.

Awwwww yeah, now we're getting into the real shit kitbash territory.

If you want zany slapped-together stuff, I have a Nova with a Vulcan ring drive somewhere...

A 3d model, at any rate...

Expand the main hull a bit so the wings attach at the top two red nodes.

Nah, I like it as is; tell you what, I'll put it on the SketchUp 3D Warehouse and let you futz with it.

Cool thanks.

3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/e11e3515-06d8-4dd1-82b0-7eb4800843b0/Federation-Planetary-Scout-WIP

Used Intrepid scale nacelle bits for this. Came out looking more like a time ship. Can't say I care for it.

Looks almost more like a Prometheus saucer. Not bad really.
Connecting the ring at other points was my first impulse as well.

Maybe hinge them like the actual Intrepid: have them fold almost 90° to be vertical when at warp, like big 50's Cadillac tailfins...

Tom Paris pls.

That looks way too cool for a shitty kitbash, damn thing doesn't even have any torpedo pods, megaphasers, rollbars or big blocky sections because the creator was simply copy-pasting bits together and didn't have the skill to design and draw anything fitting to fill in.

I mean if you asked me what an updated Vulcan ship would look like, it'd be that more or less.

TOS is better than TNG.
That is all.

Flip the rear wing around and put nacelles under it, plus impulse drives on the rear. Will look sweet.

This ship a cute.

That was the idea: this is a planetary scout, the "arrowhead" detaches for planetary landings and leaves the stardrive in orbit. While fast and small, it has little in the way of armor or weapons as being an exploratory scout does not merit any.
Vulcans would be the ideal crew, as they are the least likely to fuck things up or get involved in shit that requires a bigger/more powerful/flexible/different ship...therefore, they would be the ship's designers/contractors.
C'mon, you know they'd love speeding between scientific observations while ignoring everything not on the to-do list...

Let's compare

TV-series:
TOS 3rd season was mostly utter carbage and you know it, where as TNG had their shit seasons, mainly 1st and 7th, they have still alot more better episodes than TOS so just by volume alone they win

Movies
TNG movies had 1 good movie and rest where meh to god damn utter shit

TOS movies had 2 good movies, two ego projects (1st and 5th), and 2 decent ones so
TOS wins on the movie side.

It's weird that movie Scotty and TOS Scotty were almost entirely different characters. TOS Scotty spent a good amount of episodes as a very competent acting Captain while Kirk/Spock/Mccoy were fucking around planetside and spent the rest of his time either in the transporter room or wandering the ship in a drunken haze ranting about something. He picked fights with Klingons and outsmarted the episode villain more than once.

Movie Scotty doesn't leave engineering short of a catastrophe.

Hey if you're still down for sharing, DocBeard#4315

I love the idea of the Romulan master plan being "pick the troll option to fuck up everyone's day".

Fucking Romulans.

Movie Scotty is variously trying to ready the ship for it's first cruise, shepherd a bunch of raw recruits into battle damage control, hold together a kludged together crippled ship, figure out the wacky shit on a captured Klingon vessel, and fix the malfunctioning Enterprise-A. When does the man actually have time to do anything else outside of Star Trek VI?

Both are subordinate to DS9 so the point is moot.

Maybe on average but TNG has a far higher median

Is it bad that I want this? Because I really want this.

I would serve on that ship.

Hey photo-editor user you still around? If you are I have a request for you. Would you mind doing a few edits of the Ambassador class? Specifically ones of it facing towards and away from the sun. And then maybe a shot of it by that Excelscior you use?

I'm sorry if this is a pain in the ass. I don't know if that's feasible because I don't play STO. If it's not possible that's cool.

The Romulans are super ethno-centric. 10/10 times they'll pick race-baiting over a rational argument.

Damar#2259 if you're still around.

Yeah I'm around. Will get on it. It's no bother because every Starfleet player gets an Ambassador in a special mission. Expect them some time tomorrow. Work is currently a nightmare.

TOS Nacelles.

Round bit at the aft end or vent holes?

Top one looks better imho

Yeah, sent you a request.

Thanks man

Sup /STG/ I need ideas for a good old fashioned Prime Directive violation resulting in war with a warp capable civilization.

>Warp capable race that is living in a little nebula has enslaved several worlds full of pre-FTL races
>Your guys come around
>Have to choose what to do, prime directive says you cant do shit to help the pre-FTL races and going to war with a FTLcapable race that is unaligned could end poorly if some party that opposes federation ends up joining their side

How does that sound like?

Starfleet loses a shuttlecraft on the planet, can't go back for it without contamination. Industrial revolution era species reverse engineers warp drive and phasers, but everything else is steam power.

Romulans give a small prewarp border empire warp drive and WMDs, sic them on the local federation stations and colonies.

Maquis find impressionable pre or barely warp capable civilization, recruit them and bring them to join the fight only to find that it's over. They keep fighting it regardless, possibly in collusion or direct opposition to True Way forces.

One of the planets the early federation didn't save because of muh prime directive develops warp drive, joins the federation, finds out their most awful chapter of history could have been prevented and wasn't, and thanks to that delay the surrounding worlds are colonized and they have no room to expand. They withdraw and, with support from the klingons/cardassians/romulans/dominion begin to carve out their own backwater empire.

The old Arena/Gorn scenario, where the Federation is setting up military bases and colonies inside a a mildly xenophobic foreign powers territory without bothering to check

At least they learned from their mistake

It's not as if they did the exact same thing after discovering the wormhole.

>One of the planets the early federation didn't save because of muh prime directive develops warp drive, joins the federation, finds out their most awful chapter of history could have been prevented and wasn't, and thanks to that delay the surrounding worlds are colonized and they have no room to expand.

This is borderline infuriating.
To finally reach a point where space travel is cheap and easy only to find some cocknozzles have claimed everything around you, possibly even planets in your own solar system, while willfully ignoring your attempts at making first contact because of an arbitrary technology level and oh, they've been watching you from a secret base in the mountains the whole time.

Spartans subjugating Helots in space. Could work.

I'd rather stay away from the Maquis but the others are interesting.

I think only the Bajorans set up a colony in the Gamma quadrant.

This is half the plot for Speaker for the Dead, and it's an excellent one.

>possibly even planets in your own solar system
Federation doesn't seem to do this. They dismantled the crashed saucer section of the Enterprise D so it wouldn't be found later when people on the other habitable planet in system developed space flight.
But yeah, having all of the surrounding systems colonized before you would be a bitch.

So the NOT VULCAN woman in Discovery is apparently the foster daughter of Sarek because reasons.

Yeah, we... I dunno if we're still mad enough to care or are just burnt out on all the WTF that Discovery keeps throwing at us.

Personally i just don't care anymore, STD has become white noise at this point and all i am anymore looking forward to are the reports of its plummeting viewership count.

I've hit that point also.

Part of me want's it to fail, and fail hard, so that the assholes responsible for it get crucified for making so many baffling mistakes. Maybe then, some years down the line and hopefully after STD is considered non-canon, we can get an actual good series.

But we won't. When it flops they will declare that "people just don't want Trek anymore" or something to that effect and the rights to it will languish in obscurity until forgotten and all we will be left with is JJTrek and STO.

This, unfortunately.

Jesus fucking christ that's depressing.

Cheer up

youtube.com/watch?v=4lxIL1WlxSQ

Really is.

Never thought I'd see the day, but I feel like MacFarlane's the only hope we have. He's got Trek alumni working on Orville, and he's made a point of trying to fill the void that opened up now that all the new material isn't really Trek-y in any sense of the word. If it does well - a lot better than ST:D, in particular which is largely a given, it might just be noticed.

The thing is, is that it's entirely possible that STD is going be successful - but it isn't going to do so by appealing to fans like us. No matter your opinions on the various shows/movies and their different levels of quality, we (the hardcore, lifetime fans) are the minority.

They only need to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and in NA at least, convince people to buy into CBS All Access. I can't think of what else CBS has that appeals to the mainstream to get them to buy into yet another streaming service, but then, I'm not your average NA region TV watcher (as in, I barely watch TV at all).

As much as I dislike NuTrek (well, Beyond was alright), it resonated with the mainstream, and with younger viewers who weren't alive to see TNG when it was new.

So, it has two hurdles: Appeal to the mainstream, and convince them to buy into CBS All Access. Technically speaking, it's already paid for, thanks to the Netflix deal, so we'll just have to wait and see.

My two pesos is that I'm going to wait. I didn't watch ENT when it was on because VOY had left a bad taste in my mouth (and I'm glad I waited) and STD has all the indicators that it isn't going to be my sort of Trek. I'll just have to be happy with my TOS episodes and my TMP-UC movie collection.

At this point it's been 12 years since the last TV show and 16 years since the last non-prequel TV show, so I honestly don't give a shit if it bothers with continuity. Just call it an alternate universe or whatever the fuck. That shit's already canon. Whether it's good or not will have nothing to do with whether it follows pre-established continuity, although I will say I haven't seen anything that's made me believe it'll be any good.

But the thing is, it's going to struggle to be successful no matter what. Granted, there are those who'll be flocking to it because "well at least it isn't JJTrek" - which is true, because Paramount's treatment of the franchise is still a lot worse than CBS's has been so far. But VOY's popularity with normies, for want of a better word, was because it was still riding the TNG popularity wave and because it was so episodic.

STD is trying to float a new aesthetic and mouthfeel with neither of those benefits, just like ENT, and we all know how well that went down. It's making a point of opposing the NuTrek movies (good), which means it'll likely get the TNG-era fans watching it (good?), most of whomst'd've are currently shitting on it for retconning so much. They're trying to make classic-ish trek with NuTrek aesthetics, and they're going to push away fans of both. Hell, I thought ENT was decent,
especially compared to what I expect from STD.

Part of the problem is that they've been chasing the mythical TNG fans for decades now. They don't exist. They never existed. And you know why? Because you had non-fans watching TNG because it was a cut above other entertainment on during the same period, and it was syndicated, meaning there were a lot of options for watching it. Plus, the episodic nature meant that you could miss an episode and not be lost.

VOY was, as you said, riding TNG's coattails, but it wasn't anywhere near as successful. I can't vouch for the veracity of these numbers, but if they're close, then it's indicative of how big the difference between a niche audience and a mainstream audience is.

>trektoday.com/articles/ratings_history.shtml

>Maquis using technologies and tactics that the Federation has written off as too much trouble.

Uplifting primitives as phaser fodder troops. Creating augments capable of ripping Cardassian soldiers limb from limb with their bare hands. Time travel preemptive strikes.

I honestly dislike this because it defeats the purpose of the Maquis from a storytelling point of view. They're not monstrous, just self-centered.