/dsg/ - Dark Souls General

Sunlight For Life edition

>Core Rules PDF & General Overview
steamforged.com/dark-souls/
>Expansion Plans
kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game/description
>Official Youtube (not much content desu)
youtube.com/user/Steamforged

So the initial release was a bit of a clusterfucker but things seem to be smoothing out, how are you lads finding the game? Got things you love, mechanics you hate?
For a dungeon crawling beat-em-up I've not gotten bored yet which is nice. If even the base game is providing this much longevity then I have high hopes for the long-term activity of the game.

Some madman also put it all on Tabletop Simulator too, it's missimg a few models but runs great.

I'm loving every part of the game outside of the rulebook. It has a lot of weird interactions that leave a lot of room for over-thinking.

Whatchu know about back-to-back sentinel rooms?

Ain't no thing for my boi the herald.

>still no spider butts
its shit

Finished my first solo "run," Gargoyle-Titanite-O&S as Herald.

I botched a few things for sure, like not putting down traps and possibly misunderstanding boss movement and positioning, but overall it went pretty smooth.

By the time I got up to the Titanite Demon basically everything was a breeze. I had the Sunless Armor with the Tiny Being's Ring, I had the Effigy Shield and the Great Mace with +2 dice, and Heal on backup. I was more or less unbreakable, only Ornstein's Heat Up moves had me worried but I dodged his second thrust attack (7 magic damage, 2 range).

It's fun though! I'm looking forward to trying the other characters, playing with friends, and anticipating the expansions.

Word.

Herald rolling 2 blues or an orange, maybe.

Or is there something about the herald I'm missing given the matchup?

Darn, would have missed it if you posted this out of context.

I had a Great Mace with a heavy gem and a sharp gem. 1 blue + 2 black + 1, 0 stamina.

Tried this with friends in tabletop simulator
Looks quite repetitive to say the least, not sure if i wanna buy this for real

I liked a lot the combat mechanics and the implementation of the AI
But i think this has quite a homebrew potential to make something interesting.

- Someone who never played ds

Still wondering if the Soul of Cinder is giving a thumbs up.

Somebody explain combat mechanics.

I only really bought it for the minis. Is the game actually any good?

Hey, glad to see a thread about this game finally.

I bought it really soon after it came out. I mostly got it for the minis but I am enjoying the game with some friends too. We're dying a lot and everybody's got their own ideas of what everyone else should do, and we argue over loot and souls. I feel like if I played the game myself then I wouldn't be able to go back to playing with people.

It's fun though. I'm not a fan of a big part of the combat. It's silly that enemies get to move for every movement the players make. They could have done something different with block/dodge and just made the enemies hit harder instead.

Played the game once and found it's not worth the set up time. It's just too bland.

Really unhappy with the minis. I bought it primarily to paint it and the plastic is cheap and nasty. Doesn't clean up well and most the models are lacking in detail or at just plain static and ugly. Got the Titanite demon on my painting desk right now and I'll do the Gargoyle after, but very disappointed over all. I had been biting at the bit for some Dark souls minis.. now I wish I hadn't kickstarted it.

Can someone explain what's going on with the expansions/stretch goals? Do we have any ETAs? Too late to back to get stuff for it?

The Kickstarter ended over a year ago. The late backer thing ended probably 9 months ago. The expansions are currently slated for October.

Oh, that soon? Bitchin. Can't wait.

>Doesn't clean up well
what does this mean? And having seen photos, would you say the models "lack detail" more then it looks by looking at the photos of the minis?

gameplay gets kinda bland after the first run through of the rooms, after we cleared all the rooms on our first spark we just said "fuck it", turned our sparks all the way down and gave ourselves all the souls for doing the rooms the extra times, because why play through them all again? After the first clear the rooms become breezes.

At first it felt honestly hard and entertaining to prepare for several difficult rooms in a row and be at peak performance for fighting the boss.
But then my friends and I realised that you actually heal all damage between rooms. Really? What's the point of going through the rooms every time if efficiency is not even an issue? Yeah I get that you can fuck up pretty bad due to shit rolls but come on, unless you're really unlucky or completely bad at planning, cleaning rooms is trivial. If there's no weight to farming souls, it just feels like a mandatory waste of time.
I also feel like the reward for beating a boss early is underwhelming compared to farming souls until the bonfire is out.
I should mention that I only played with 3 or 4 players, so maybe my complaints won't translate in solo games.

Anyway, I suggest these houserules:
- Unlike Stamina, Health is not replenished between rooms. Estus can be used between rooms, and can heal another player if used in this way.
- You gain twice as much souls from the bonfire counter after beating a boss or mini-boss.

I'm not sure how balanced are the armor and weapons, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Thaaaaat's fuckin nasty.

After a player takes an action, all the monsters move.

You gotta maximize enemy destruction, making sure you are predicting their game-based AI correctly to set up for the next player's turn to destroy them.

My group has had a blast with it. The rulebook is kind of garbo so don't be afraid to keep on playing with a half-baked understanding of the rules.

It's fucking hard as balls too, lots of math and even rewards planning ahead for specific encounters.

I agree with this. While sometimes there are rooms that are close fights the grinding element of the game is pretty lame and sometimes necessary.

It means they used the cheapest plastic they could get from China rather than something decent. A lot of manufactures using China for production end up with cheap plastic that doesn't cut well. When trying to remove the mold lines it will tear more than cut. Makes it difficult to sand as well as use a knife on so you're left with this awkward situation where you need to clean up the casting lines but it's an asshole to do so.

Starting up a PvE game of DS2 SotFS, I wont have access to the internet on my computer for a whole month, so I want to have some fun.

First off, any mods I should consider getting for this game, or is it fine out of the box?

Second, I am making a Fencer. Should I go for a shield or a dagger/mailbreaker as my offhand? Or something else entirely? I dont want sorceries or hexes, fuck faith and Int.

And what should an early game (say, SL60) build look like? I want to go extremely light on my armour, but I am not sure if a duelist type build would work best with a defensive or offensive option.

I expect to die a lot until I "Git Gud" with this playstyle, I just want something vastly different to the knight or wizard type builds I usually make.

Get out of here retard. You're not on /v/ and you're so dumb you consider Dark souls to be a PvP game.

Have any of you guys tried playing a PVP variant?
I did with a friend and it was surprisingly fun.

Uhh.

Most of the time when people ask for suggestions, people assume PvP is a part of it, and sometimes exclusively. And it kinda matters that PvP will not be a factor at all.

No need to be angry at a simple question asking for some pointers. I have never done a light arnour dex build before, so I want to make sure I don't fuck myself too hard before going into this.

Holy fuck, I just picked up this series, and have gotten past no mans wharf in DS2 now.

This series is awesome. DS2 has amazing combat. Coming from DS1, the weight of the blows just feels much more satisfying to land, and DS1 was already a lot more satisfying than most other sword play games.

The feel of a greatsword smashing into an enemy is the most satisfying thing ever.

Take that stick out of your ass, faggot-kun. It is a perfectly reasonable question for /dsg/.

For DS2, going too hard on dex is a bad idea. Scaling is shit, and while a Richards Rapier with 99 Dex is insane in terms of damage, you wont need it.

Go for 25 Dex for the requirement, and get a quality build instead. If you are going for the squishy but fast build, get ADP and END to 20 as early as possible, it will go a long way to keep you rolling.

On the phone for the next few hours, so I can't give a good example of a SL60 build, but getting to 25 dex, 25 END and 25 ADP is a good start.

Getting some Vit for equipment load might also be useful to keep you below 30%. Shouldn't require more than a few points at most, considering the light weight build. It just makes a huge difference, especially with high agility.

Thanks man.

I shouldn't worry about power stancing?

Honestly not entirely sure what power stance even is, or how worthwhile it is to go for. If I want Richards, I need 37 Dex, which is rather much.

Is a bog standard Rapier good enough? Just go for a fully upgraded mundane Rapier with the minimum Strength and Dexterity?

>Mundane
Why would you do that? Don't infuse it at all.
37 dex isn't high since the scaling softcap is 40. I didn't use Ricard's Rapier in 2 but its strength in 1 was that its R2 was multiple thrusts and each would give resin or spell damage every time.
Also if you keep your max equip load low Flynn's ring is a godsend.
The problem with a thrusting sword will be dealing with the gani squads of normal enemies that SOTFS throws at you.

You going through the DLC as well, user? How was your fight against Smough and Ornstein?Did you save Solaire?

Pretty sure he meant "not unique or boss" rapier.

Mundane is a general term for non magical gear, and for a fa/tg/uy, that's not unlikely.

Fun (tm)

Plus I had the Effigy Shield, so I was rolling 4 black dice for physical defense, 3 for magic resist.

Gotta be more specific though, since Mundane is a specific infusion path. (Scales with lowest of Dex, Str, Fth, and Int)

Which is a real shame, cause my group honestly had a fair bit of fun the first time through the rooms.

Also at the end of the day, there's really not enough variety in the rooms. Gravestones do nothing, chests do nothing, and every trap is the same "dodge or deal damage". The stuff in october will help a tonne with enemy variety at least, but I sorta wish some of the encounters/tiles had other things going on on them, maybe bigger tiles with more nodes, but with obstacles like walls or gaps. Dunno how they'd work that in with the fact that you setup the tiles prior to drawing encounters, but regardless, I'd like to see say, an encounter where there's a bonus rule like "you must move every turn or the great bow giant hits you" (from DS3 in Undead Settlement) or "the middle row of tiles from player entrance is sweeped by dragon fire at the start of every new round"

side note: I do know barrels/chests/graves can't be moved through, but they it's normally not enough to be particularly impactful.

>Gravestones do nothing, chests do nothing

lolno

Gravestones, chests, and barrels have all come up in my group in regards to movement shenanigans. Same with traps.