The Iron Wardens

This thread is a continuation of the thread linked above, in which after determining the rough spread of Marines that were generated by the premise, those in the thread began to make a Homebrew Chapter called the Iron Wardens.

We'll begin the thread with a vote on the color schemes submitted so far attached in the pic, all are welcome, and we may even accept some new takes on the idea so far if any user's are struck with inspiration.

>The Lore Thus Far

The Iron Wardens
>"We Shall Endure"

Our emblem is a shield with a brazen claw upon it, due to our ambiguous parentage. Our familiarity with the forge lends itself to the Iron Hands and Salamanders, and the dispositions of either grim misanthropes or helpful battle brothers filled with vim an comraderie cements these assertions. However some marines, usually those particularly gifted at a singular craft are prone to the "Hephaestian Fury" in which the marine reacts to failure or the opposition of his enemies with frothing madness, taking leave of their senses to slay their foes. While similar to the Black Rage, it is not clear if we are sons of Sanguinius or if the Fury is a unique chapter mutation, or a mutation native to the homeworld.

We're artificers with a shit ton of Techmarines and tanks/vehicles with a fair number of Chaplains, as well as some standard infantry to protect the Tachs/man the tanks/kill the heretics.

Possible Dornian ancestry. Seriously, it's a fucking shitshow, who the he'll knows for sure. The only thing we know is that we are not Ultras

We are exceedingly faithful, to the Emperor as God Emperor and Omnissiah, but heresy and shame are not unknown to the chapter.

We have an extremely high number of Apothecaries, and while this is largely unknown to the greater Imperium, it is due to rampant mutation in the populace, with random organs malfunctioning or simply not being present, as well as a generally malfunctioning Melanchromic Organ with most Wardens being rather pale.

>cont

In the past there was a cabal of techmarines and Apothecaries dabbling in tech heresy, attempting to cure their gene flaws. Concurrently there was a moderately sized cult of marines dedicated to finding their gene-sires in an attempt to find a cure for their woes, these "Questors" were a highly controversial subject within the chapter, as some suspected their involvement with the suspected, but yet hidden Hereteks, and the issue of their openness with the chapters shameful gene flaws. These Questors would also abandon the chapter to depart on their quests for truth, without heed to the chain of command or authorization. Upon their return they would enact plays depicting their adventures, to grow support for their cause.

In the end, either through treacherous politicking, or genuine heresy, the heresy of the techmarines and the Apothecarium was revealed, and the Questors where implicated alongside them beyond redemption. The Inquisition loomed over the chapter, prepared for a fatal strike. However the chapter, ever prideful, took matters into it's own hands and the chapter was launched into a devastating and one sided civil war, many of the renegades refusing to draw the blood of their brothers. Now the heretics lurk upon a space hulk as the renegade warband "Questors Revengeant". While there are some Wardens that hold out hope for their exiled brothers' innocence, the topic is met with swift retribution from the Chaplians.

Their world is close to a forgeworld, and their production capabilities are nothing to fuck with, but after a few years of civil war leading to an low (but on the rise) population and the following knee-jerk puritanism, things have begun to stagnate. Wardens look at their old works, their buildings, their ancient equipment, their deeds of valour, and sigh, wishing for those times of wonder to return

Now-a-days they'll start on something and it will sort of fizzle out as their attentions are taken elsewhere.

In case anyone was confused, the chapter in inspired by Veeky Forums demographics. Veeky Forums has a LOT of engineers, architects, scientists, nurses, theologians, historians, and most surprisingly, Soldiers.

So we took this general knowledge, and the turnout from the last thread, and tried to imagine what a chapter full of marines vaguely like us would like.

The answer is fucking dwarves, apparently. Now we're trying to do something interesting with concept. Personally I think we would use a lot of armoured warfare, as well as hit-and-run mobile artillery strikes. Just because we ended up with wistful, sorrowful dwarves culture wise, doesn't mean we have to fight that way

I vote 12

If I had to choose one, it'd be 11

Forgot to drop the trip

tl;dr
The Iron Wardens are pale skinned artisan warriors with a disposition to a form of rage known as the "Hephaestian Fury" and who look back on their former glory with a restless malaise, yet they are proud and capable warriors known for a strange combination of cynical misanthropes and helpful optimistic marines that meld together to form a strong bond of camaraderie and brotherhood. They know great shame because of their former brothers turned heretic, with a dimmed sense of hope that they are not what they appear to be.

Their numbers largely consist of Techmarines and Apothecaries, with a fair number of Chaplains to boot. They focus largely on vehicular combat and support, with a Company of regular combat Marines to assist in the defense of their Battle Brothers.

I find myself leaning 11, though 9 is a strong contender as well

I would say 6,9,11. Though I would change 11's crotch to Gold for reasons.

12 would actually be a good Apothecary colors

Seconded for the idea of 12 being Apothecary colors.

I vote 6

Bump for potential interest

We had a shitload of cooks in the thread too? How can that be fit in, in a non-retarded way?

And can a chaplain be a techmarine at the same time? Or an apothecary? What stops someone from being all three? Or a librarian/apothecary/techmarine?

We had enough for it to be noticeable, maybe like five guys or so.

I don't think it can be aside from support staff, or perhaps The Iron Wardens seen more things as a 'craft' then just building shit. They could have sculptors, cooks, and shit like that to provide a sense of culture and bring together that they are brothers and do more then just fight together.

Per rules? No, it's kind of like the actual Army, you have your job and you do that job. You may be skilled in other fields but that's not 'your job'. There's nothing saying a Techmarine can't know about medicine or theology, but it's not 'the thing they do'

Other than chapter serfs, perhaps it could be a matter of pride that they contribute to the chapter in ways that aren't directly related to combat. Maybe they could choose to cook if they have been wounded recently and are currently recovering. They'd still be combat-capable battle-brothers.

Well I think it would be safe to assume that the Wardens are going to toss the Codex out the window, and I think it may be interesting to have Combo Techmarine/Apothecaries and they just view it as "guy who fixes things"

Given the fact that there's some low key hope that their heretic brothers aren't really heretics and will come back some day I'd say that's fair.

They'd probably even have a cool title like 'Forge Warden' or something along those lines

Those color schemes are a little schizophrenic. Try something like this maybe.

There was a lot of experimenting in the previous thread, and a lot of back and forth on color scheme to be fair, which is why a lot of these are so all over the place.

That one is nice, but it feels a little 'standard', and I like something with a little bit more identity I guess is the way I'd word it.

I vote 6 but since I'm one of the Chaplains it doesn't much matter to me.

>"We Shall Endure"

Hida Kisada approves of this motto. I knew Veeky Forums loved Crab Clan.

But what if... The heretics were Alpha Legion?
Personally, V2. But V3 has a more Iron Hands aesthetic.

You could just go completely funky and do a quartered color scheme then.

Insignia?

Holy shit that's really cool

cheers user, just throwing ideas around

I'll save it for now, I'm likely going to be heading to bed soon so I'm uncertain how long the thread will survive, hopefully it's still up tomorrow when more people will be on

don't let the heretics bite

I pity the fool who tries.

I'm from last thread and I'm bummed I didn't participate further because this is really cool!

I'm digging 9-11. My only question is how will the insignia/emblem would show up on the should pad with that color scheme.

We have an association with fire, and fire is associated with the hearth and home. Perhaps it's an angle of creation, mastery of fire to where you both can forge steel to your will, but by being able to cook/bake you also bring out the "softer" side of humanity. Maybe a reminder of what we fight for?

That makes enough sense, I guess...

Pretty fucking Khornate m8.

I like 6 & 9 the best but 12 could work as a good apothecary colour scheme and 4 could work as 1st company colours .

Some cross between 6, 7, and 11.

I want version 6 but with golden gauntlets, kneepads, and boots

Second this- I'm one of the anons who voted 6 earlier. Can someone do a mockup of 6 with gold details as described?

Reporting for duty.

Good morning Battle Brothers, I am off to work, however I will monitor and post on our progress when possible. If anyone would like to design a new color scheme feel free, and we shall judge them together.

Wait wrong trip

I like the 13th. It's cool

How can I get a position in this sweet homebrew?

Well the first thread was basically "What kind of marine are you based on your job and life experience". My job involves a lot of personnel management and menacing my subordinates and offering guidance in equal measure. Boom, I'd be a chaplain.

once you decide that, I guess it doesn't really matter since we're trying to fluff up this

Basically, the idea is you become a space marine where you stand. Your actual position is based upon your previous life experience. Engineers beocome techmarines, intellectuals become librarians, people who inspire others can become chaplains etc. In other cases, you become a regular assault, devastator or tactical marine based on your preference. If you are above 6 feet in height, you can become a primaris equivalent of that class.

I'm studying engineering. That make me an engineer or an intelectual?

Techmarine.

Can I be the Techmarine Commander of a Vehicle?

I'm just a Chaplain, but I don't see why not.

If so, I want a jump pack.

The Wardens don't really seem to be ones for assault warfare

By the Emperor, I demand a jump pack and the right to lead whichever brothers will follow me into glorious melee combat once our big guns have softened the enemy up; I'm not suicidal.

It seems that this chapter has a large emphasis on support units and armoured vehicles.

Maybe there would be a small amount of assault marines and flyers to serve as a combined arms precision strike.

Looks good to me.

I like the idea of making 12 the apothecary color.

Personally I like 6 with 11's arms and kneepads.

Tactical flexibility is supremely important if we wish to survive the terrible enemies of mankind. I would advise that we do our best to be less hidebound than our fellow chapters when it comes to equipment. Personally, I'd prefer one of those new plasma pistols to a bolt pistol.

Something like this?

Make the feet red or the shins brass/gold/bronze

Right now looks a little silly. And either neon green or blue eyes

Hmm, maybe with bronze legs from the knee down? And GunMetal aquilla

I like this.

And here's the Bling version.

Are you using the constructor or the generator?

I approve heartily

Constructor for the former, generator for the latter.

I actually really like this

Have a captain or something

I reckon that would look amazing painted non-metallic metal style

And a chappy

Not sure how to apply the colour scheme to the other types.

Here's my contribution since I got techmarine last thread.

Oh and the dust effect looks pretty good.

Looks killer. Are we locked in on the Mk VI helmets? I personally think they look goofy

I'm not sure what you mean.

Whoops. Meant MK VII or whatever. Frownmarine helmets. Not a fan. I know last thread we hadn't decided which armor pattern was standard for our chapter

>lots of technicians
>strong bonds of camaraderie
>but also cynical
>sometimes berserk fury
>highly traditionalist
>relatives who fell to heresy

Y'all realize you sort of made the Dwarves from WHFB right?

>The answer is fucking dwarves, apparently
Oh, you did realize it, never mind

>Not liking the most prevalent armor pattern
What?

And we did kind of decide. We have a lot more Iron pattern than a successor chapter of ambiguous parentage should have, but we have a lot of IV and VIII and now with the influx of Primaris Marines X

That Marine looks like he's blushing cause Sergeant Senpai noticed him

Well played

I just think it looks silly. I'm a big fan of MK 3 & 4/X myself. They make the marines look a lot less absurd

We could use 13 and pretend it's a dwarven beard.

2, 6, 7 11, 12

6, 7, 10, 14

Mah melanin enriched comrade

Why don't we make a straw poll for the armour?

One of the things that I like from primaris is that they all wear the same type of armour,but some of them modifies it to show the chapter beliefs.I really hated the MK VI Corvus helmet

Not a bad idea. v1-17 right?

>beardmasks

Could work honestly, especially given the prevalence for neckbeards among Veeky Forums's demo.

You know the Impact bubbles on the greaves of the maximus and heresy pattern armors? Put those on the helmets face plate to look like a beard.

Like pic related?

Both could work.

>Impact bubbles

looked it up, and apparently those are bolts for extra plating. The More You Know~

One of the noted design flaws of the older armors, later corrected in the limited Mk 8 run, was the lack of neck protection.

>"The new pattern also addressed the vulnerability issues of the Mark VII's neck joint, which had been know to act as a "shell-trap", (a round could hit the chest Armour and deflect up into the neck joint). The new gorget required a new helmet design, which caused problems for backward compatibility with the earlier helmet types, which cannot be easily fitted to a Mark VIII neck joint without extensive modification."

Because the chapter is a bunch of do it yourself motherfuckers, I can see them adding a frontal neck apron to their helmet grills in order to prevent this, without having to upgrade or change their whole suits of armor which are likely to be heavily customized as it is. This frontal apron, combined with vox grilles, looks like a beard.

In medieval armor this is referred to as a Bevor, and is usually fitted to the armor itself. We could do either, with our helmets apron plate riveted on at the cheeks via adherence studs.

Yeah, let's have an updated image to accompany the poll with multiple choices allowed.

>McMarines

Reporting for duty then! I shall go to battle in my tank, either a Predator or a Glaive. I will lead the Chapter's tanks to combat and bring them to victory!

Now that we have our attitude amongst ourselves sorted out, what is our stance on xenos?

We are angry
Angry about eldar
it's just tradition really, they're not that bad as far as Xenos go.

Also suggesting that the heretics Questors should be xeno lovers.

We don't like them, mostly

Ork tech makes our techmarines go into the Hephaestian Fury due to sheer hate of its appearance and the fact it somehow works.

What about Tau?

Less actively dangerous than other xenos. They take low priority.

>This is going into the Book!

Our oficial posture towards the Eldar? Openly hostile?

Dang