/40kg/ - 40k General

>Iron Warriors Legion Focus, Ironlets on Suicide Watch edition
warhammer-community.com/2017/08/01/legion-focus-iron-warriors-aug-1gw-homepage-post-2/

>Konor Campaign: Its nearly over for Planet 1. Better luck next time Chaos!
konor.warhammer40000.com/

>Check your local store's contribution
warhammer40000.com/fate-konor-galaxy-flames/

>GW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/23/updated-faqs-and-boots-on-the-groundgw-homepage-post-2/

>FW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in pdf & epub, SW:A, WIP and BB are here too, no novels.
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA

>Other megas
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Chart-user doing Abaddon's work)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hRR7W5-F15c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ah there's your problem. Take it from a templar player. Either layer your way up to light grey, or prime the pauldrons separately. As for the eyes, Paint white line in the center, put thin glaze of red over, repeat until satisfied.

user from last thread painting his first army. Here's a pic of my first dudeman. Should I just smoke crack instead of painting?

So as suspected, the Iron Warriors are just literal copies of the Imperial Fists

5th for 8 hellstrikes per turn

they are basically two sides of the same coin, I don't see what the big deal is.

Looks good for your first time. As I said in Building up to a light grey is your best bet, just painting white ends up as a pain in the ass. And as for the question about crack, remember NOT. EVEN. ONCE

Ok. As a tutor, stop calling your doings bad. It creates a negative stigma and generally prevents yourself from getting better. I can't tell you how many teens I've had to verbally smack because they kept telling themselves they were bad at math.

Now, that's actually not bad. The biggest issue, as I pointed out above, is that you should never paint pure white. Go grey and work up. The lighting is weird, but a few highlights on the black with greys won't hurt. The sword looks a little thicc and needs a brighter highlight (yes, even metals need a highlight, even if it's just a thin gloss of a brighter metallic).

The sheer unoriginality
And such a shift from what they had in Traitor Legions, which was 6+ FNP (Ironically ANOTHER Chapter's trait copied)

Highlight your black with gray, and don't paint flat white, paint light gray instead and work your way up to white.

Watch Duncan's tutorials on the WarhammerTV channel on Youtube. He's pretty good at explaining how to do complicated shit to people.

Watch a few videos and give it another shot and I'm betting you'll see some decent improvement already.

Atleast you get something that can be useful to actually kill things.
I'm so fucking mad about this release, its like GW is shitting in the face of non god aligned legion players again.

>no new models
>Word Bearers trait is to reroll morale checks

Seriously wtf, how could anyone think that its fine if some become for example realy good at CC and then give other legions such bullshit.

>possessed get 1 more wound

and they are still shit.

Nurgle daemons and Nids are the last hope for me or I'll have to play AoS until 9th edition.

So, I'm thinking of starting uo a new army, and I think I've settled on playing Imperial guard. I've always had a like for the buggers, and now seemed like the opertune time to start up a forcs of them.

So far, I have:
1 Tempestor Prime
15 Scions
10 Veterans(converted from Admech)
1 metal Catachan squad

Now, the only problem I have now, is that I have no clue where to go from here, and I am most certainly not a fan of the generic Cadian sculpts.

So now, that's where you come in Veeky Forums! I want your advice on both counts as mini's and what to buy next.

Now, I will admit, I love myself some Dakka, and I love really intense close range shooting. Scions are a favorite of mine, as I love their deep strike ability and how many high ap shots they can put out. I'm not too much of a tread head, but I do love me some artillery!

Now, as for mini's, all I know about are Mantics, Victoria's and a few other companies. So I'm all ears for suggestions!

>
I've found it helps to keep fiddly bits on the sprue or clipped and temporarily glued/blue stuffed to another surface, like a piece of cardboard

It makes doing trim a lot easier when you don't have to worry about getting paint on other parts of the model

And a good trick is to try to move your brush hand as little as possible while rotating the model, it can preserve the best angle if you get it right

There are a few tricks to get things done quick and dirty; Wash, dry bush, edge highlight

Washes are your friend even if its just on metals or in recesses, but you can do all over. I used to paint plague marines green over a brown basecoat, then give them a red wash + an off white dry blush and they turned out with this disgusting, green/brown armour shade that went to red in the recess and had an overall kind of waxy look to them. Perfect.

As an example of how why you do this and how good it can look refer to pick related. See how something as simple as one wash can make the detail start to pop.

Other than that the best I can tell you is think your paints, keep your hands steady and drink your paint water when you're done, it's how Duncan gains his powers

Just use daemons and cult units. They are what makes your army more than just worse space marines. Hell, your summoning possibilities are terrifying

Night lords are right there, too. At least yours has the potential to be useful.

>and they are still shit

They're cheaper than chosen, get S5 power weapons, 2 attacks on average, an invul and now they're tanky too. They might not be shit anymore m8

Yo, whoever's at the Fizzy Shop: fuck you. Love, the Imperium.

Here

youtu.be/hRR7W5-F15c

So true. Playing Imperials comes with free hand jobs from GW

I'd care more about Konor if the Xenos weren't basically spoilers rather than actually involved in the conflict. Oh boy, my contribution is... picking a side to win that I'm not in any way affiliated with... woo...

>Word Bearers get DttFE and ATSKNF
That isn't too bad. I'd imagine you'll probably get relics and strategems as well.

I missed this when did night lords legion trait get leaked?

Mechanids when

Should you really care considering you're going to win the campaign no matter what? Just keep collecting those "painted" points.

Fuck you,
The Xenos
Aka NPC Races literally points for the real factions

>Ahriman/ExSorc lose infantry tag if they take disc
>you need infantry, biker or helbrute tag to benefit from Chapter Tactics

Uhhh, 40ktards?

How important is primer? I live in an apartment, and don't really have anywhere to spray it on.

Spicy. I'd sent that to GW on Facebook right now if you're a TSons-fag so they fix it for your codex.

You can see all legion traits in the new WD. Its a very tiny picture but if you try realy hard or have good eyes you can read them.

>A new IG player looking for advice

I have waited long for this day.

The first thing to figure out for yourself is what you want out of this army. Do you want to win, do you want an army that looks cool and abides by a certain theme, or some balance of both? This determines what you buy and field.

If you want an efficient, competitive army:

In the current edition, infantry spam is very efficient and this makes IG quite good now. The price of a guardsman dropped form 5 points to 4, and a conscript is only 3. This and flak armor saves actually are a thing now,since AP only lowers saves, not eliminate them.

On the flip side, tanks are less good than they used to be. The leman russ and chimera in particular are basically just rolling bricks now, able to take damage but not deal it. IG also benefit from a lot of special weapon dense deep striking units like scions and command squads, and now special weapon teams and veterans can share transports and get even more high AP stuff in one box. Artillerywise, the basilisk and manticore both are very good now, the mortar tanks less so.

As for minis, there's pig iron, wargames exclusive, anvil industries and victoria off the top of my head. Also consider the old cadian, steel legion, vostroyan, or even chaos cultist minis as substitutes for the goofy cadian plastics and their earmuff helmets.

Whatever you do, I advise you to take your time to make a converted, interesting mix of units with their own unique look unless you truly are in love with some default color scheme you see in the books. If you try to paint your stuff exactly as you see it in the codex, you will realize on day years from now you spent hundreds of dollars making someone else's army. Never buy a model you think is ugly just because it has good rules - if you really want it, convert it from something else.

You are going to want a lot more infantry - probably at least 150 models, and maybe some tauroxen.

Get a cardboard box, take out one of the sides, tape models down in said box, take box outside, spray.

They will probably FAQ it to whatever their old keyword was. Discs were just jump infantry in 7E.

>Thousand Sons codex is out

1) Important
2) Spray outside if you can't do it indoors

Just use brush on primer. Stynlyrez is god tier, better than gesso and Vallejo

See your other reply, but NL give stacking -1Ld within 6", which is worthless because moral is more useless now than in 7th

What washes should I use for blacks and whites?

>moral is more useless now than in 7th

Does this nigga even play the game?

So, I do have a list of possible, and I do say "possible" replacements. Most of them are either expensive, or simply not to my taste:
Any of Victoria Miniature's guardsmen
Maelstrom's Edge Contractors
Prodos Games Imperial Trenchers
Prodos Games Bauhaus Hussars
Anvil Industry Tox Troopers
Puppets War Tactical Troopers

Any suggestions? Pic related is a Tox Trooper, which is leading, due to them being 23.77 plus shipping for ten of the buggers, minus bases(which is fine, I have 50+) and look the best.

OUT OF MY WAY IMPERIUM FUCKING SHITS
>2+/5++
>FIFTY wounds
>12 S10 AP-2 2D6 X 2 Biocannons
>WS 3+ to 5+ BS 3+ S10 T8
>2D6 hits flamer
>Can aoe an entire unit in melee
>6x strength TWENTY attacks AP-5 2D6 damage REROLLING ONES
>Its blood is acid
>Can literally carry a squad of gaunts, jeans, hive guards warriors or tyrant guards as well as a tyranid prime or broodlord
All for a measly 1800 points / 90 power

I have never seen moral do anything besides kill one conscript because the unit is either totally wiped or its immune because GW decided IG, Orks, Poxwalkers, and Nids needed immunity to moral.

>Never buy a model you think is ugly just because it has good rules - if you really want it, convert it from something else.

this is really good advice.

What about buying a miniature that sucks because you think it looks neat?

Blood Angels or Ultras?

hows that WAAC list?

Also acceptable, rules change over time my dude, case in point, Chaos Spawn stopped being useless little ass goblins.

Why would the non-codex player accept the match, unless the codex player agreed to only use their index rules?

I don't consider myself a waacfag but I bought models solely for their looks and over time I came to regret my decisions. Being useless during a game doesn't make up for a model looking nice for me anymore. Shits expensive.

I think that GW legitimately believes its own shit about how Chaos is the big bad of the setting and that they're on equal power to the marine dexes, and/or believe that moral bonuses in and of themselves are powerful or that paying for a 16% chance to ignore a wound when their are other 1 cp strats that let units add 1 to wound, roll additional hits on 6s, or move and shoot after advancing at ludicrous speed.

That and a significant failure to address some of the issues with the model line and the one-up-manship of the normal marine line over chaos. Putting aside the centurions, which are blatantly loyalist oblits/muties, chaos does not have any equivalent of or access to:

>Conversion beamers
>Grav weapons
>A huge assortment of melee weapons, including thunder hammers, power spears and relic blades (if you count the index)
>A flying transport
>A highly shooty small unit transport
>Customizable vanguard vet equivalent (could count warp talons I suppose)
>Multiple landraider variants
>land speeders
>Dreadnoughts beyond the helbrute
>A non turkey fighter craft
>non line of sight weapons
>A special shooty option on Chaos Sternguard equivalent (like their special issue bolters)
>Cyclone Missile launchers, assault cannons, and plasma cannons
>And attack bikes

Instead of that chaos gets the three dino bots, more customizable terminators possessed and spawn. You could call having daemons as allies a big boon but marines have EVERY other imperial codex to draw from for allies, so I'll call that one at least even. I'm sure some of these deficiencies are made up for by FW but GW doesn't want to acknowledge they exist so neither will I

Chaos, because of its small number of units and limited options per unit compared to other marines is just boring, and it comes across as weird that you average chaos warband subscribes more closely to the codex as far as squad loadouts go then the SW

Firstly, thank you for the help! Its nice to hear such a positive response! Anyways, what I really want out of this army is really aggressive and shooty army, that will lay down huge volleys of lasers as they march up the field. I have a real penchant to move my guys perhaps a bit too close, but I simply can't help myself; I love getting up close and blasting away. But I do want to win games, or at least have fun games. I am so tired of Admech being out gunned and outsped by everyone else, while being outnumbered.

I like the idea of having large hordes of miniatures, but with the time and money restrictions I have, I know it's going to be a slow build. But regardless, its one i'm excited for!

As for this army, I really want it to be unique from the rest of everyone elses stuff; As of late, I am doing more and more conversions, and buying more from other people. Although I've never really done my own paint schemes before, I want to do one for these guys. I just need to figure it out.

As for tanks, how many would you get? And how do you run them? I kind of want to get some, as a way to help give my army some punch as it plows its way up the field.

>If you try to paint your stuff exactly as you see it in the codex, you will realize on day years from now you spent hundreds of dollars making someone else's army.

You know, I've never thought about it that way.

>T8
>"Titan"

Tyranidlets, everyone.

How does one Ork in 8th?

Are Trukk Boyz even a thing now they have to disembark and jog over to the enemy?

What said. With the release of the CSM codex and the clear omission of TSons from the roster, that leaves TSons in a limbo with questions that need answering. For one thing, will Magnus and Ahriman gain access to the new Tzeentch spells? I'd like to say yes, but who knows? Hopefully they will address this in the codex or an faq but we shall see.

This comes down to why you play the hobby. You need to honestly asses what you enjoy about 40k and decide if you want to spend money of the hobby aspect - ie, suboptimal but cool models that are fun to play with - or the gaming aspect - ie, the stuff that optimally works.

In my case, I got heavy into IG with the release of the Steel Legion models back in 1999 with the Armageddon Codex, and never stopped loving the lore of that particular regiment. I try to stay as true to its look and feel as possible, so lots of light mechanized infantry and some armor.

That being said, I work with what I find thematically acceptable to make as competitive a list as I can within those bounds, since it's no fun to play a game you can't even hope to win. The optimization of my list is constrained by its thematic consistency, though, so it will never be top grade. I've accepted that, and it's more fun this way.

Nidlets is more catchy

why does gw hate chaos

We had a guy bring that + some chaff to a 2000 point tournament a few weeks ago

He lost every game

The better question is what exactly are you trying to do?

Hate them so much that they made them one of the two halves of the poster-child-feud. CSM are being set up as THE big bad atm. I can only dream of xenos being given that sort of treatment.

You are most certainly correct, sir.

Nidlets it is.

Because they overestimated the power of Chaos Marines.

My friend decided to give up on getting a Deathwatch + Inquisition army to work the way he wants and sold his models to buy some Thousand Sons instead. So I need a 1,500 to fight him with now that he's willing to do matches above 1000

This is what I put together as a first draft - he showed me his list but Im trying to make a well-rounded army for all comers, since hard-countering specific armies is a dick move

I dont have a decent list builder and I didnt want a mile tall post so this was the best way I could come up with to actually post the list

any thoughts?

C'mon user, isn't this what you wanted?
Your slightly worse tac marines with sloppy second legion traits?

Maybe they will allow Daemons to use TSons Legion Tactics, allowing Magnus to use them as well.

What I find hilarious is that Loyalist Marines have more access to old school equipment than chaos Marines, which fucking ass backwards.

Come the fuck on. What chaos undivided releases do we ever get? Our big fucking baddie (Abbadon) Is still a fucking resin cast model, while you get plastic everything

That is pretty clear cut: TSons will not be getting any Legion Tactics in this codex so Magnus and Ahriman won't have to worry about Legion Tactics for a while. The ones that are getting Legion tactics are Black Legion, World Eaters, Word Bearers, Emperor's Children, Night Lords, Iron Warriors, Alpha Legion and Renegades.

But nidlets is cute, and 60% of Tyranids players are female, so that doesn't work.

>Poster Child

No, user. Deathguard are the bad guy poster children of 8th, which are now totally different to normal CSM by having tons of shit other legions don't have access to, just like thousand sons.

I have been playing CSM since 5th ed, what are you implying here user?

No way
They are just the punching bag for the brand new Primaris Marines™ (RRP $60 in stores now) to beat up on and look good

The big chaos leader has a resin model from 20 years ago, while the imperium just had TWO triumvirate releases, and a a fuck load of characters have gotten updates

>Word Bearers Legion Tactics
When?

A good goal for you is 150 infantry to fill 3 conscript platoons, backed up by priests and commissars to keep them on the table. This will be a lot of bodies on the field for your opponent to deal with, and each one with the first rank fire order will get up to 200 shots at close range.

Supplement this with your scions armed with meltas and plasmas to deal with armor, since conscripts can't hurt vehicles at all. A master of ordinance in the backfield surrounded by basilisks and manticores adds a lot of hurt, too.

For tanks, the conqueror is the best all-rounder battle tank for its points right now. Tauroxen are the best transports, point for point. I wouldn't recommend more than 1 or two battle tanks, since with the new movement rules they just don't hit often enough for their points imo. Unless, of course, you just like the models, then go for it.

Another option for you is to skip the battletanks and invest in a stormlord, which can carry up to 40 men inside of it and even lets 20 of them shoot out of it while embarked, making it a moving bunker. You could put an entire platoon in there, or 4 squads of 5 scions each, all using special weapons to really dish out pain. You can also easily convert a trojan support vehicle out of a chimera to give the stormlord's megabolter rerolls on 1, and unless they changed it embarked techpriests can still repair the tank without leaving it, so it will even regenerate damage every turn if some enginseers are on board.

I wonder why Death Guard though. Was there some beef between Mortarion and Guilliman?

2-3 days

How should I support my 10 combi-plas terminators? I have no idea what to take with my CSM anymore. I'm mostly infantry heavy and don't have the crazy dinobots. I do have a contemptor or two.

Because Deathguard were popular.

Simplicity and contrast. World Eaters would also have worked.

When explaining the setting to a new person, probably a 12 year old child, explaining the story and context of the Black Legion is complex. Death Guard look unique and can be explained very easily to even a normie.
That's the goal of GW in my opinion.

MSU cultists

Why MSU? Isn't that just giving them both T1 AND free kill points?

A sorc in terminator armor. Get warp time and prescience and go to town. Warp time will ensure you get to a 4" charge distance for whatever needs charging and prescience will ensure that you will hit whatever it is you need to hit.

It was a good call, imo. Khorne-themed chaos baddies are already overrepresented - red guys with chainaxes and horned helmets that scream and fight in melee has been done a lot.

Death Guard are a better, more unique foil that gives some needed attention to the more neglected aspects of Chaos lore. They make good flagship baddies.

Terminator armor is too expensive. I should have mentioned that I drop a Lord and Sorcerer with the terminators, both with jump packs since it allows them to Deepstrike, while giving them super mobility.

Khorne got daemonkin not extremely long ago as well as getting world eaters legion tactics. 1k sons got the next major release.

Nurgle is due up and doesn't have the whole tits and drugs thing Slaanesh has. Still hoping we see a daemon prince Fulgrim this edition. I'd count on Angron eventually too.

Then that works. As long as you have a means of getting your sorc to your terminators and give them warp time and prescience, you're golden. Now if you're looking to round out your army, post the list, pts bracket and talk us through your game plan. That'll help us tailor our advice better to suit your needs

Alright. How important is WYSIWYG in paint schemes for most people?

I care very much about WYSIWYG modelling, but as far as paints go I dont give two shits. You can bring bright yellow ultramarines if you want as long as they're holding the gear written on the army list.

How do you mean? Like playing a Blood Angels army with an Ultramarines paint scheme?

If that's the case then as long as everything is appropriately modeled and clearly identifiable (These Honor Guards are Sanguinary Guard, these angry Ultramarines are Death Company etc) it should be fine.

Yeah, still good for getting a small mob with a character or two in. You can't jump EVERYONE on turn one afterall... I mean, unless you have enough weirdboyz. For much more than boyz though, most people seem to be trusting Battlewagons, with possibly taking some grots to soak up deaths should it explode. Haven't done it myself, but that's what I see more talk of in the thread.

Alright. I know some people at my locals get pretty anal about it. Saw someone get refused to treat his army as Fists because he hadn't finished painting them.

It's not that big of a deal.
Like if someone brings an ultramarine army, but use them as salamanders because they want to benefit from the chapter tactic, then I'll give them a funny look, but I'll still play them.

I'm more generalizing, really. Until my axes come in from china, I'm stuck with lightning claws because I'm using the plastic Cataphractii termies from Calth. I didn't realize they were limited. That means I'm looking at 800pts for the fuck you team (550 for termies, and the rest split between the HQs). It's expensive, but it's already proven it's worth. They average 2 tanks DOA, and then are a general mess because 20 2+/5++ wounds is a tough nut.

Now, I have cultists available as well as a 3 HH boxes worth of dudes (2 Calth 1 Prosp), plus some Raptors and rhinos, and some ghouls I bought to use as spawn. Oh, I also have a Dreadclaw, but I don't think 200pts is worth it. As far as weapons, I have plasma for days because I'm drowning in Volkite, which makes for good counts-as plasma (I was making them 30k NL until HH died). I also have a ton of combi sets, a bunch of Autocanons, some Lascannons, and a squad of melee CSM.

The guys at your store sound like elitist shitheads

WYSIWYG is mostly for ease of identifying weapons and loadouts in the game.

people usually don't care what models are painted like.

the only things that really trigger autist are.
1. weapons usually match their load outs so that the minimal proxies are used to prevent confusion
2. specifically modeling units so that they are harder to spot (modeling for advantage) by giving a model vastly different silhouettes

There is no way to enforce paint schemes, although having an actual official paint scheme complete with decals and then not playing that chapter or whatever is kinda weird.

reminder that the "bdsm mutants with tits and tentacles on them" aesthetic for slaanesh is an old and busted relic from the 80's and should be replaced with the regal, elegant and perfectionist aesthetic that they have in the newer books and stories

I played an all purple and gold SM army as Fists today because I wanted to test out some stuff I got from a friend. No one had any issues and the shop owner said that as long as they have the symbols or something that lets people know what they are without having to ask then it's all good for turnys

Yeah. I really like the game, and want to have more than just two people to play it with, but the LGS is full of assholes.

I'm talking more wanting to have a "non-canon" paint scheme.

the soul drinkers are an imperial fist successor

New daemonettes disagree with you, GW is afraid of doing tittied models anymore and have done a hard turn away from the "beautiful" slaanesh.