Paizo Games General /pgg/ (also /pfg/)

Paizo Games General /pgg/ (also /pfg/)

In your opinion, what makes a character cute?

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/JLu5xXML
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/3GfJKi0y
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/10MzQQumu0nksyGWKwmlVZFteXGUICeULHzehQKZWR8c/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/document/d/1pUevSnzc65Xw2cx3ah7iL7s1BBx0bVeF8xKlL0uFIcQ/edit?usp=sharing
pastebin.com/zesx3Fn1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>what makes a character cute?
Seeing them when they strangle our stupid OP to death with his own innards

*insert anger about Wizards here*

I hope the wizard vs fighter argument does not bleed over here. If they are so into it, why not make a wizard and fighter, bring then into roll 20 and duke it out. Hell make it a spectacle with an audience. Fuck theory crafting. Do it.

Because that's actual theorycraft, since 2hu'ing either or is easy as hell. Look at DHB's Autismfighter, which is specifically meant to shitstomp mages.

Whether they act in a manner that endears me to them. And that's usually not the same thing as what others, even the player of that character, thinks of as "cute."

A lot of /pfg/ players think of being insufferably twee or conforming to anime stereotypes as being cute--behaving like a character in a yuri manga, for one, or spending a whole session trying on dresses and lingerie, for another.

Having doubts, struggles, or humanizing moments of weakness is cute to me.

Wait I thought theory crafting was all about the build idea and thinking about situations. And actually implementing or trying it was I guess "Live testing".

Good roleplay and attention to the subtleties.
Being an anime isn't good roleplay.

The problem with that is that
1. Bad Rolls can and do happen to either side. The Fighter could roll 1s on every single save or attack roll. The Wizard could roll 1s on every single RTA.
2. Trying to say "build X to fuck up your enemy" means that both sides will be trying to build characters specifically to fuck up that class. Wizards won't be preparing Antimagic Field or Aroden's Spellbane, and will stack on items specifically to kill a martial.
3. Wizards aren't supposed to be broken in combat. That's not where their actual strength lies, their strength lies in preparation and utility. Can you kill three Simulacra backed up by an Astral Projection or deal with Scry-and-Fry tactics? Can you bypass puzzles by casting Dimension Door? That's what makes them annoying.

Last thread was a fuck, and this one is too so.far, so I'll.stwrt up a topic to discuss

So anyway, let's talk Gunslingers. Now that we currently have so many varieties of Gunslinger, which would you prefer to use, and how would one make a whole party using a whole mix of Paizo, DHB, and Jolly Gunslingers? And what type of campaign would be best for our gun-toting posse?

Where's Jolly's gunslingers?

>Wizards won't be preparing Antimagic Field
But AMF does fuck up Martials though
At later levels they rely on their magical tools and trinkets

What are the pitfalls that make a character "anime"? What are the anime stereotypes you think players should avoid?

Mordenkainen is better for that purpose, though I guess having a Wondrous Item of AMF, tossing it to the Fighter, and bringing out your Golems and Summon Monster IX counts too.

Right here friendo!
docs.google.com/document/d/10MzQQumu0nksyGWKwmlVZFteXGUICeULHzehQKZWR8c/edit?usp=sharing

Even has Gunmage options!

Well in a scientific experiment, you would have set rules and stuff right? Set level, set gold amount to build from, will do more than one fight(you don't get results from experiments with one test), for experimentation also do it on different playing fields at random. Open fields, narrow hallways, in doors, out doors, etc.

DHB? also did jolly post his play test yet? Or is he still writing it up? Last I heard it was in the starting stages.

Yeah, except those experiments don't help with a Wizard, whose job is utility and preparation work (do you let him have Books of Explosive Runes and cast Dispel Magic?), and help even less with the problem of building specifically against each other.

>9:51 before 9:46
reeeeeeeeee

Then I am lost in why people were still arguing back and forth last thread. Oh well. Why not be a Magus and do both? lol

Magi suck shit is the reason.
>then I am lost
It's one specific paidrone.

>DHB
Depressed Homebrewer. He made his own "Unchained" slinger along with the Fighter and Cavalier. It's good in my opinion, but definitely not to everyone's taste as it's built more for utility than combat. Can be found here docs.google.com/document/d/1pUevSnzc65Xw2cx3ah7iL7s1BBx0bVeF8xKlL0uFIcQ/edit?usp=sharing

As for Jolly playtest, see hereChoose your path to being fantasy /k/ommando

But I love and play the Magus ;_; In my current game I play a Magus and I have a player who is a fighter/hellknight. We both do killer damage. The one difference between us is that he is almost active all the time while it takes time for me to buff myself up. Once I am combat ready, I am tankier than him sometimes.

>Buffing
>Not just spamming metamagicked Shocking Grasp Spell Combat Spellstrike and deleting everything.
It's rare to nowadays find someone still so innocent and precious

God, Paizo's slinger is fuck awful. DHB's and Jolly's could play well together though, team touch attack.

I mean, I do that to but in the rare case that your combo does not out right kill the thing, better safe than sorry I guess.

Generally being a very shallow archetypal character who acts in an unrealistic manner. They take one attribute they think is "cute" such as naivety or cheeriness and only roleplay that.

Paizoslinger can be cool if you use good archetypes, like the ones in Gunslingers of Porphyra

>firearms and full plate
Truly, is there any better combination? Plus they were contemporaries! Why is art of it so rare though?

>jolly's required to fix the gunslinger no matter the build

what a hero

It's the sort of thing you can't really describe that easily, because on paper, most shonen protagonist bullshit is very much a staple of Western fiction as well. The best way I can say it is that "You'll know it when you see it."

It's like says--you see a character whose player clearly isn't trying to grow, or react realistically to stimuli, or show that they have multiple settings besides their default stereotype. A character who is designed to have just one mode, like "Naive little girl" or "Violent tsundere" or "Cool, collected yuri love interest."

And yes, in my experience, the characters these end up being are usually women. Male characters have a whole different set of pitfalls, but that's a story for another post.

You think that's hard, try finding big crossbows

Wouldn't a big crossbow be a ballista? I'd imagine that'd be easier to find

Building on this, male characters actually tend to have a much more westernized set of problems. Their players try to make them conform to what they think of as either their own idealized macho image, or something slightly softer that they assume will be a crowd-pleaser (like the "daddy" character phenomenon).

The whole "Dick Delivery System" problem of /pfg/ characters is the same problem that would otherwise be called a classic John Wayne-style Marty Stu (not to disparage the man, but not all his movies have aged well). They're made not to be blatant references to anime waifus, but to be masculine, strong, and...that's about it. They get maybe a slight spin on them from being Lawful, Chivalrous, or Ambitious, but generally speaking they'll remain somewhere in the realms of "full-bearded and mature, but reasonably youthful and virile."

And yet he's made to be relevant.

has ki pool from different classes been unified?

Is Vital Strike a meme?

It's a good meme.
Get powerful build with a butchering axe to have 4d6 damage off the bat.
Get two effective size increases from, say, elemental nimbus (earth). You now have 8d6.
Get two real size increases from, say, Aegis nonsense. You now have 16d6.
Apply Greater Vital Strike. 64d6.

How do I get Powerful Build beyond Half-Giant?

There are several Bloodforge races that give it.

Oh, damn, my DM hates that.

Well, without Powerful Build you cap at 48d6. Still nice.

You can use stupendous strength to wield an oversized Butchering Axe.
You'll have to eat the attack penalties for inappropriately sized weapons, though.

All these homebrew gunshitters get too far away from the core of the class.
That is, being a slinger of guns. A lot of the new "features" are shitty tag-ons you'd burn on an archetype no one wants to play.

If you dip a level in Aegis you can have an astral suit that grants Powerful Build for 2 of the 3 points one level will net you.

So what you mean is "Don't play stereotypes"? Because that seems pretty far removed from "anime".

The core is fucking garbage, being too far from it is a good thing.

Hey, playtest pastebin needs updated, SoM is over and Legendary Gunslingers is started.

Someone should probably add SSDK's stuff to the Homebrew list, too.

Anyone happen to pick up the Black Blade Options book from Rogue Genius? Kinda interested in what other classes get bladebound options.

What's this Nimble armor enhancement everyone talks about on the pathfinder forums? Where can I read it?

Anime more directly relates towards playing cute characters. People sometimes fall into the trap of playing anime archetypes which are characters that look pretty damn out of place when put up against one with some depth.

Also for heaven's sake if you're trying to be cute don't be lewd. If you do both it almost always comes off really forced like you're trying super hard and/or compensating for something. Which, if you're actually doing is totally fine RP but if our intention is to be cute, it should be something that looks unintentional.

Adventurer's Armory 2. It's on Archives of Nethys. It's also an armor mod, not an enhancement.

>Think about apping to Bones and Bef Shackles
>Want to play stacked domineering captain-lady
>But also prefer playing guys. At least for lewds. Partly because male doms are less common in lewd games
>Don't like futa but want the best of both worlds

What do?

More squid.

>Bef
*Bed

Autocorrect you're not even using real words anymore.

I was actually considering a Skinwalker, specifically wereshark-kin.

>weeb characters can't be roleplayed well
False. There is no aesthetic or stereotype that can't be roleplayed well or given a fresh spin by a good roleplayer.

Firefox -> Inspect Element.png

>if you're trying to be cute don't be lewd
Really, I'd say just don't be lewd in the first place. It's even worse than comfy when somebody in the group just takes the first instance of anything beyond passing conversation as a signal to molest your party members.

>tfw my intrigue character is straight up anime
;_;

Trying her best despite being out of her depth

Edgy character always brings 2 tower shields around so he is always in a corner brooding. Bring another 2 so he is surrounded by corners. I need to do this one day.

>PLD
Is that Cashmere?

You can prove me wrong. Just because they've got an anime backstory and character art doesn't mean you can't play an engaging three dimensional character.
If they've got more going on than just being a 2 foot fucktoy then I'll be proud of you.

>If they've got more going on than just being a 2 foot fucktoy then I'll be proud of you.
SMOL ARE NOT FOR LEWD

Stacked domineering captain-lady sounds fun, especially since the party will need a captain later on.

Is a 20 charisma start Human Paladin (Hospitaler) too meme to be effective?

>too meme to be effective
What does this even mean?

Well I mean the AMF would turn off the Summon Monsters.

Close enough to the little arcane investigator

Too specialized and underpowered to be effective.

I thought monsters got a will save to be banished

>Too specialized and underpowered = too meme
uh, ok

Smites > Channel, but you'll probably be ok in unoptimized group

I'm sorry I use meme in a way that reminds me of SQAUNCHING from Rick and Morty. It has less of a syntactical meaning and more of a emotional and contextual application.

When I'm playing a fighting game and getting raped by a friend that's pushing me into a corner I might just blurt out I'm being fucking memed!" in a happy/hype/butthurt sort of way. I might also describe something like No Mans Sky as a fucking meme to describe it being people bandwagoning on something without substance. I also just use the actual word meme though.

I'm sorry.

It's not something you should be sorry about in my opinion. Our short conversation was about finding a common language that's all.

Still, if you're interested in playing a paladin-healer, Life Oracle dip (life link) will probably be more effective for in-combat healing (since then you'll heal others as a Swift and more effectively). And there are CLW wands for out-of-combat healing anyway.

After 'blogging' this at request in the discord, it was suggested I post this in the thread for people to read/rage on as necessary. I suppose airing dirty laundry is good for you, anyway. Some less important parts removed so it can fit in one post.

IterationDrive: I got a new job that proved to be a lot more stressful than I anticipated, which a schedule that left me all sorts of screwed up; combined with flaring up some ongoing family issues and a whole heap of money issues, I just didn't have the energy to do any gaming at all. I kept MEANING to show back up and apologize and explain what happened, but each time I tried I felt awful for vanishing and said 'maybe next week'; and by the point my life had stabilized I'd already been kicked out of everything. I have a bad habit of taking blame in to myself, so I pretty much convinced myself I deserved it and had been an awful person and that I didn't deserve to try to go back and explain myself and what happened until recently, because as it turns out depression is really shitty and I'm tired of living with it, so I decided I'd try to fight it.
[Discussion on how I did deserve it/the rape and murder.]
IterationDrive: I am aware, which is why I didn't come back until I realized a good chunk of the reasoning was that it gave me another excuse to look down on myself, which wasn't healthy short or long term.
IterationDrive: Because it started with me missing a session due to oversleeping and snowballed from there, basically.
IterationDrive: (Also the rape and murder--evil campaign, I was very clear about playing a serial rapist, I okayed it with the other players and GM, the murder was an accident.)
[Discussion on how I should have apologized, and being told to post]
IterationDrive: And, again, I kept meaning to, but it kept snowballing to 'i'll do it tomorrow'. I know that I screwed up, and I'm not looking to make excuses, which is the main reason I haven't until now explained myself and just sort of showed back up.

You could probably just PM argentum to clear up matters instead of expecting them to hear about it through a third party by posting it openly!

DESU it's also kind of an open apology to everyone else who was involved in that game too, at least the ones that still browse /pfg/, since I'm a shitter who doesn't remember most of them. Anyway, taking off the namefag after this post, what's done is done.

I'm a huge fan of the gun archetype for Spellburst Savants. It's very much a gunmage (With about equal amounts of both gun and mage) but it's very fun.

Recommend me a character sheet

To be frank? Most people here don't give a shit. The only people know anything about anything there is that Witchhunteranon keeps bringing stuff up and I'm honestly more tired of personal drama being thrown about after a game is over than one person fucking up.

I mean, apologising/admitting mistakes is all well and good but just tell the GM what happened and don't pay attention to witch hunter user.

What do DM's look for in regards to a character sheet to determine whether a player is going to be worth it or not? Online character sheets, obviously with physical sheets I'd look for the sheet actually being taken care of. I'm trying to make better characters.

No one gives a fuck dude, this ain't your personal blog.

In addition to being filled out properly, the character needs to be competent, but not ridiculously minmaxed.

The point of sheets is largely to tell the GM what sort of player you are, and if you can fit in with the group.

Because they know the face of their father.

I have a nation in my setting that's a classic holy mideval kingdom where all the Knights are gunslingers. Come come commala, motherfucker

There was a pretty cool homebrew harbinger archetype for them posted a while ago. Can't find where it was though.

>Divergent Paths:Mystic Playtest
>Playtest is officially closed, but I'm leaving the document available if people still liked it and want to use it or its materials for their games. I will not be working with DSP any further for this product.

...What happened?

I need writing material! Give me some ideas for short games, /pgg/. Golarion or Homebrew world, it doesn't matter!

Tribe of Kellid Barbarians have to survive their village being assaulted by the Technic League looking to try out their newly constructed robots and weapons.

Alternatively Technic League agents try out newly constructed robots and tech weapons against a Kellid Tribe/Numerian Town that's been a pain in their ass fora while.

Gangs of Absalom

This, but use Augustana in Andoran and use halflings as your Irish stand-in

I tried to nerf down the Lords of the Night vampire so it'd be LA+0 and feasible for normal games.
pastebin.com/zesx3Fn1
What do you think, /pfg/?
Did I overnerf it? Did I not nerf it enough to justify LA+0?

>mfw I'm already building Bill the Butcher as half-orc in another game.

When Altered Summoned Monster says "a creature you could summon with a summon monster or summon nature’s ally spell," does it mean that I have to actually know one of those spells or is that clause just saying I can't pick a creature that's incompatible with my alignment?

I don't mind ridicuously minmaxed as long as is not powergamer. You can minmax and just be competent, for example, back in 3.5 I've seen a ridiculously minmaxed Notwerewolf (was a shifter) barbarian, he had like 40 Str and stuff, but only 3 natural attacks (bite claw claw) he didn't want more because wouldn't fit his image and dealt like 1d4+20 with each. If he used weapons instead he would deal like twice more, he wanted to make that concept and minmaxed it, but wasn't really as strong as I say a paladin focused on falchion or other 2hd weapon.

There's a dude who appears in here from time to time who mentions his mach 1 character, I'm 100% he minmaxed the shit out of it to be able to reach that speed as a human, does it matter? no, is just useless, is a gimmick that doesn't help him and makes him better than anyone in the table, in fact probably worse because he wasted tons of resources to achive nothing.

DM fiat.

Does Seize the Opportunity combat feat allow you to use initiation maneuvers as attacks of opportunity?
"When you make an attack of opportunity, you can use take an attack action (such as vital strike) or attempt a combat maneuver (such as a bull rush, disarm or dirty trick) in place of your attack of opportunity. This feat does not allow you to move when it isn’t your turn."

Initiation maneuvers are not attack actions. They are general standard actions.
Attack actions are a subset of standard actions according to Paizo rules.

Bumpo?

I'm the DM. I'd guess RAI is that you don't need to actually need to be able to summon said monsters on your own with the actual named spells, only that it's supposed to say you can't take monsters that need feats or different alignments from yours to summon.

The keyword is in the next sentence, "The new creature must be an option from a spell of the same level or lower as the spell that summoned the target". It has no clauses on what you can't summon other than the max level of it. The first sentence can indeed be read as "a creature YOU could summon", to support the no-alignment-breaking clause. It's your call, but it definitely doesn't restrict you to spells you already know.