How is a clan different from a tribe?

How is a clan different from a tribe?

I imagine clans have landholds, tribes have... tents.

A tribe all live together communally, a clan can be spread across an area.

Clans are closer to oneanother than tribes, or are smaller parts of tribes

Clans have better style.

Clan is a group of families, tribe is a group of clans

>Men wearing skirts
>style

Clans generally all have some sort of blood relation with each other, or at least a bond of some description. Depends on the nature of the clan, but there's some unifying force behind them.

Tribes are most loose confederations. Everyone knows one another, and they're all in a group, but they're usually bound together by location, rather than some underlying force.

>Wearing pants

Barbarians get out.

An iron age settlement can be made up of clans, but you wouldn't call it a tribe.

Arguably i'd say it has more to do with whether the group is sedentary or transitory. A hunter-gather tribe and an agricultural clan.

This. Literally just Google it, guys

> that moment when you remember your ancestry can be traced back to a clan.

Heh.

Family

Clans exist within a larger nation. Tribes are nations unto themselves

A clan is little more than a term do denote distant relation. The members of a clan will often ally with each other to face external threat, and hold the wisdom of the elders of the clan in high regard, but lacking a unifying threat will often quarrel with each other, not necessarily violently but there will be vehement disagreements, conflicts of opinion in times of crisis, and perhaps rivalry between two or more powerful wings of the clan. If the clan governs, it has an air of democracy, usually being governed by a council of elders with the elder of the most influential wing/family being the "first among equals". If a dissenting family decides to carry out it's own agenda, it may cause friction and stir up some bad blood but unless it's outright treason/putting the clan at risk there is little chance for violence.

A tribe is more comparable to a form of petty monarchy. A chief leads the tribe in civil and military manners and carries out the will of the Gods as communicated by the Shamen/medicine man/witch doctor/whatever the spiritual leader is called. To disobey the Chieftain is to disobey the Gods and will likely result in death or banishment. If a member/faction of a tribe dissents it is usually seen as a challenge to the leadership of the Chieftain and results in a purge.

tl,dr A clan is less centralized, a tribe moreso.

Clan is gaelic for family. Just throwing that out there.

Glad we settled that

Something something Kerensky.
Clanners are fags, that's what I know.

That's like asking how an ethnicity is different from a race. It's the same shit, just on a different order of magnitude.

White pointy hats

did you try using a dictionary.
seriously, it is a phenomenal resource for things like defining words.

Underrated post

Samefag

We can draw some after-the-fact distinctions but really they can be used synonymously.

Nope.

>phoneposter
ugh.

That is like saying "A Republic has to be located on the coast"
Why would you go and just make up a definition?

It's not at all.

Both are useful tools to label groups of people

Splitting hairs on which is to be used when is completely useless.

Clans tend to be related by blood or marriage and exist within a tribe.

I'm satisfied with this answer.

yeah, none of these are correct.

I'm sure there might have been some formal distinction between the two when people actually spoke the kings English, but colloquially they are synonyms.

they're basically the same thing

Do the world a favor and neck yourself, m80

underrated comment