Finished first campaign today

>Finished first campaign today

Do you remember how your first one ended, anons? How'd you feel? I'm just relieved to have one actually get to the end, it's satisfying, especially since my players made sure things end really happily.

>Do you remember how your first one ended, anons?
GM quit. Just like how every other campaign I've been in.

>How'd you feel?
Irritable. Just like how every other campaign I've been in.

>I'm just relieved to have one actually get to the end, it's satisfying, especially since my players made sure things end really happily.
Lucky bastard.

You are the few my friend, rarely does a campaign actually conclude.

In a group been playing for 2 years and DM says we've "just finished the first episode, there's 4 more coming". Christ I don't wanna play a 10 year campaign. At least it's still fun for now and we have other games we play in.

Never finished a campaign.
I had to quit, Gm had to quit, or they are ongoing. That having said after years of reading books, and imagining playing, I only started to play circa 8 months ago.

Closest I came was a game of Exalted, where I had some fun, but the rest of the party started to go full edgelord, did nothing about the "doomsday coming" scennario with plenty of preptime, while my character tried his best, and lately they have cut all sorts of in-game ties between PCs, because of the good/evil divide. So in the end I went with my character pursuing the solution that would be very likely to kill him, but could potentially save the world.

This mean retiring him, since it placed him way too far from the other PCs to have any interaction ever, and we all agreed we don't want this to become my personal adventure with the GM, while the rest watches us play. So I guess it can't really be counted in the finished campaign catergory.

I just realized I've had to get this off my chest. The campaign was great fun at many places, but in the end I can't help but to feel disappointed how retiring him was the most in-characer thing to do, and possibly the most satisfying conclusion.

Which is a lot lot less than I expected for a finale.

Sorry to hear anons. The first few campaigns I've been in fell apart like those, and one I'm in on the backburner has a case of the GM extending it. Still, I'm hopeful for the next ones. One of my players from this group is running a short 5E campaign for us so I can learn it and GM it for them. That, I have Black Crusade lined up for them in a few weeks.

Never had one have a proper ending. If they're good people keep begging me to keep going, and when they're not good they tend to just sort of Peter out until we decide on a new one

The closest I ever got involved the dissolution of reality

How exactly did reality devolve?

I was the DM in high school; ran 3 or 4 campaigns total, though most just sorta petered out without a real ending, to be replaced by the next big idea.
But Senior year, I started running a big boxed-set campaign. Not entirely by-the-book, and I'm sure that, as a whole, it wasn't a great campaign by any stretch, but we got through the whole thing. About a month after graduation, we made it to the big, climactic fight. And the PCs won.
One of the players, my best friend for years, moved out of state about two weeks later. So, lots of bittersweet going on there, but still. It was good to end things on a high note.

First one died because the GM tried to tell too big a story and had no idea how to tell it, like every other GM

The big bad, who was the past life of one of the player characters, set in motion a plan that led to the assassination of the concept of "things that exist, exist. Things that don't exist , don't", so there became no difference between real and unreal, existing and not existing, etc. The party managed to get a heads up about it, and secured an artifact in the form of a lantern made of the skull of the demiurge, who they had euthanized (which also contributed to the whole reality breaking down thing). The campaign was basically left on a cliffhanger, with the party floating endlessly through the void of chaos in their little bubble of logic. It also led to a memorable dick move, and the only instance of player killing player I''ve allowed: a guy had the brilliant idea to basically get right up to the edge of the lanterns safe zone and taunt the unpossible quantum demons running around outside it. The guy holding the lantern moved it, and the edge of the bubble, back about five feet, away from the demon-taunter.

The longest running campaign I had been in lasted over two years of weekly play, with some off weeks every so often. It was also the first campaign I had ever been in. We were actually getting close to the end but people were showing up less and less and eventually I was the only one regularly attending. GM just stopped running it and told me everything that was supposed to happen in his story, as well as the plans he had for my character so I could at least have some sort of conclusion. Never finishing the game felt like shit but it was cool of him to tell me the rest of the story.

Pretty good, but a little befuddled. We'd been playing "Unhallowed Metropolis", with one of the plot points being the least morally corrupt player ( a Criminal, amusingly enough)trying to save up enough scratch to get him and his kid sister a ticket to the USA to start a new life.
We'd bumbled through a series of pretty fun missions, with one of the other characters descending into degenerate madness as a sort of Frankenstein character. Eventually, things came to a head with the party evenly split, around the same time that the Criminal got enough cash to get out of London. He and the other "good" player, a wandering Ronin type who was descended from diplomatic envoys stuck in Europe at the time of the plague, laid low for a little while. After a brief confrontation with another player, who at this point had transformed into a horrible werewolf creature, they made it to the docks and took off for America. Meanwhile, the mad doctor salvaged the werewolf's body and started turning him into a cybernetic monstrosity.
I had actually planned a longer plot involving them being hunted by a nobleman they'd crossed in the first session and a few other villains, but everyone got the end for the character they more-or-less wanted and I was happy to have a conclusion of a sort.

The GM died just as act 2 was coming to its climax with the villains at the height of their power. We were just about ready to start pushing back and then boom, dead.

>play rogue trader
>end up overrun by mutants in a shithole hiveworld
>lying on the ground bleeding out
>mutants are swarming over me
>my dying wish is for my allies to shoot the meltagun fuel

First one ended when the DM's schedule changed and he couldn't run any more. The game ended while the party was racing through the Shadowfell on horseback, desperate to get back to the lair of the dragon we'd just killed so we could loot her hoard.
Something to do with a random roll on drinking an unidentified potion that teleported us all halfway across the country.

Last game ended with the party closing the demon gates and stopping hell from invading the material realm, and then all of us promptly stabbing each other in the back.
The game had gotten quite political in its course, with different empires making alliances and deals with one another to secure an army to fight in the coming demon war.

The goblin character and his human ally came out on top.

Fucking terribly.

The Rogue and the Ranger dragged us to some temple where their fallen angel mothers slaughtered them and our Oracle. My Druid took their bodies and burned them, then spread their ashes across the countryside.

last few years I was in a university RPG club. Had a dramatic increase in properly-concluded campaigns due to fact that everybody knew games would end with the end of semester.

That's really cool. I wanted to join my Uni's D&D society but I went once and everyone was just completely insufferable, comes with the territory I guess. It's why I try to play games with people who have never played before

I've never gotten to finish a campaign because my DM only holds a tabletop day like twice a year even though he does fucking nothing the rest of the time.

Also he keeps changing settings.

Not my first, but my favorite campaign end by a long shot. Technically not even the grand finale of the campaign since we continued playing with mostly the same roster of characters, just the end of this particular arc.

The overarching plot of this arc had been the extremely volatile tensions between the dragons living in the mountains and the city we were currently working for, and I guess it finally came to a head after our attempt at negotiations broke down and we had to murder our way back out of dragon territory and to the safety of the city walls. To no one's surprise, the dragons retaliated by launching an all out assault on the city only days later, and we were plunged into the middle of an epic battle between the dragon army and the city forces, bolstered by us.

The dice were in our favor, and we beat back the dragons with minimal mook sacrifices and no lasting injuries to our party members. We went to report our victory to the king, ready to begin tying up loose ends and get some well-deserved downtime now that the city was safe.

(1/2)

(2/2)

Only to see all hell break loose as one of the noblemen suddenly produced the supposedly long lost relic of evil out of nowhere and use it to murder the king. Yeah, the thing we'd been looking for the whole campaign and hoping to peacefully settle the dragon vs city conflict with. Admittedly there was a whole political intrigue subplot building up to this, so we should have seen it coming, but we'd just beaten back a horde of dragons so no one's mind was on it. What comes next is the second boss fight of that session, the party vs a power hungry superpowered evil nobleman.

My rolls weren't too good, and my character was about to die that fight. But our GM isn't fond of killing party members unless the plot calls for it (or someone fucks up epicly), so he instead offered me a chance to survive with RP consequences. I agreed, and he ruled that one of our NPC companions, a knight I'd been playing my character as having something of an adolescent crush on, instead shoved my character out of the way and took the hit in his place. I got to play out the whole cliched "dying in his arms" thing, was pretty fun even if I probably went a bit overboard with the dramatics. The party went back to whaling on the superpowered nobleman, the GM gave me a slight bonus to my rolls as a sort of "resolve bonus" (he likes handing out thematically appropriate perks like this to make it feel more epic for us), and out of respect, they let me deal the final blow to the nobleman, getting revenge for my knight friend.

(3/3 actually, fuck post limits)

After that it was all RP. I don't quite remember how we settled the political intrigue stuff, I think we eventually decided to stay out of it and let the noble folks argue it out among themselves while the party just stood by to make sure disputes didn't get too violent. After it was all over and the party was getting ready to move on to the next chapter of our adventure, I decided to retire my character and roll up a new one for the next campaign. As I explained to the others, my character couldn't just leave the city behind like the rest of them anymore. He felt something of a duty to the place now, and had chosen to honor the fallen knight's memory by joining the ranks of the knighthood himself. And so the party rode off into the sunset, leaving my character behind as he swore to watch over the city in his knight friend's stead. (Honestly, OOC I was just getting tired of playing a fighter and wanted to go back to my usual sorcerer or wizard.)

Kinda cliched now that I look back at it, but it felt great at that time. Too bad the group broke up a while later due to scheduling problems, so we never really got anywhere with the next campaign.

It was a mutants and masterminds campaign and it end with the biker gang one of the player's controlled turning the Utopian society that the campaign took place in, into a hellish, anarchistic city. He still died at the end though.