Best System for Planescape

I'm reading the Planescape books and I'm loving it. I'm excited to try run a Planescape campaign in the coming months.

What would be the best system to run Planescape?

Lots of the setting seems to be integrated with D&D mechanics of alignment and the magic that deals with alignment (like protection from evil).

Also, Planescape thread in general.

bump

Risus with AD&D alignments.

>even in a landscape piece, dat ass dominates the scene
>wut can change the nature of a man
>dat ass can

According to my logs folder, over the past few years, I have run literally ~275 sessions of a "Planescape" to date. I use the scare quotes because it is actually a "modern-day/sci-fi by way of ultra-advanced magic" setting, and I mix in the World Axis and some other elements of my own making, so it is not quite vanilla Planescape.

I have used everything from homebrewed PbtA hacks, to Fate, to Strike!, to D&D 4e, to D&D 5e for these games. So far, I have had the most luck with homebrewed PbtA hacks and Strike!, and the worst luck with D&D in general.

In my experience, it seems that D&D handles the Great Wheel poorly, and that narratively-grounded systems are more suited to the job. When you are dashing from one plane of existence with its own set of physics to another, trying to pin down the precise nitty-gritty of each set of physics is a fool's errand.

More importantly, from my market research, people *really* want to play celestials and fiends. Given the opportunity to play just about any race, players will gravitate towards celestials and fiends, possibly because Planescape focuses on the heavens and the hells, and there is an immediate appeal to being an exemplar of one of those heavens or hells. In a D&D system, it is really quite hard to play a full-blooded celestial or fiend without wonky mechanics and/or heavy reflavoring (4e is about the friendliest you can get for this, and even then, it is not quite a perfect fit), so it is more ideal to use a system more flexible in character creation.

This is a comprehensive, chronological list of all of the Planescape characters I have ever GMed for, whether in one-on-one games or group games, with the exception of D&D games.

Peafowl the Elysian goddess*
Iseri the half-arcanaloth, half-leonal†‡ (half *, half #)
Astolfo the ancient Baatorian#, Shuten-doji the fiendish oni#, Vala the cervidal†*
Nevenoe the succubus#
Fenn the mortal werewolf†, Hiromi the mortal kitsune†‡, Nana 1.0 the arcanaloth†‡#, Sybyl the Abyssal al-mi'raj†#
Oro the vivacious vulpinal†‡*
Astra the Celestian lesser constellate cat†*, Liriel the throne archon*
Noirel the ultroloth#
Nana 2.0 the arcanaloth†‡#
Varvara the loup-garou†
Chessie the Cheshire cat†
Anja the arcanaloth†#
Tomoe the Bytopian divine servitor kitsune†‡*
Roxy the blink dog†
Emi the arcanaloth†‡#
Nox the arcanaloth†‡#
Jin the half-fire-elemental and half-homunculus
Zoayarisa the Celestian radiant dragon
Astra 2.0 the Celestian lesser constellate cat†*, Cherophilia the arcanaloth†‡#, Forge of Perpetual Creation the half-fire-elemental and half-positive-elemental†‡, Silvana the mortal vampire
†Kemonomimi
‡Kitsunemimi
*Celestial
%Fiend

This is a total of 28 characters across 19 games. Of those 28 characters:
6.5 of them (~23.21%) of them have been arcanaloths
19 of them (~67.86%) of them have been kemonomimi
9 of them (~32.14%) of them have been kitsunemimi
7.5 of them (~26.79%) of them have been celestials
11.5 of them (~41.07%) of them have been fiends

Not a single one of the characters above belongs to a D&D core race (e.g. human).

Arcanaloths are by far the most popular Planescape race in my circle of players. Perhaps it is because I flavor them as kemonomimi with the ears and tails of dogs, jackals, or foxes (Shemeshka is a canonical fox-arcanaloth as per page 96 of Uncaged: Faces of Sigil). It seems that many players are instantly sold on a race of cute and evil canid-wizard-daemons.

So, you're surprised people aren't playing D&D races in your list, when you've excluded all games of D&D from your list.

I assume they had access to every race that would be considered reasonable in the fluff, I don't see your point

>So, you're surprised people aren't playing D&D races in your list, when you've excluded all games of D&D from your list.

And that is exactly the point I am trying to drive at: why *would* people play dwarves, elves, humans, and so on, given the freedom to play otherwise in the Wheel?

Let us say I do include the D&D games in my list.

One of the games above had, for a single session, switched to D&D 4e for the combat, so that does not quite count as a proper game.

Another one of the games above is a D&D 5e game (the system was chosen to deliberately annoy me and all of the players involved, who were 4e fans). There, I gave the players the following restriction:
>Dwarves can be draphs. Humans can be reinterpreted as kemonomimis, dragon-blooded, and/or as generic petitioners. "Celestial" and "fiend" and so on apply only to "recognized" celestial and fiendish races, as opposed to more generic petitioners. A non-tanar'ri, non-obyrith, non-loumara petitioner of the Abyss, for example, would be considered a demon, but would not have the fiend type.

So, what does the roster of characters look like including that 5e game?

Peafowl the Elysian goddess*
Iseri the half-arcanaloth, half-leonal†‡ (half *, half #)
Astolfo the ancient Baatorian#, Shuten-doji the fiendish oni#, Vala the cervidal†*
Nevenoe the succubus#
Fenn the mortal werewolf†, Hiromi the mortal kitsune†‡, Nana 1.0 the arcanaloth†‡#, Sybyl the Abyssal al-mi'raj†#
Oro the vivacious vulpinal†‡*
Astra the Celestian lesser constellate cat†*, Liriel the throne archon*
Noirel the ultroloth#
Nana 2.0 the arcanaloth†‡#
Varvara the loup-garou†
Chessie the Cheshire cat†
Anja the arcanaloth†#
Tomoe the Bytopian divine servitor kitsune†‡*
Roxy the blink dog†
Emi the arcanaloth†‡#
Nox the arcanaloth†‡#
Jin the half-fire-elemental and half-homunculus
Zoayarisa the Celestian radiant dragon
Astra 2.0 the Celestian lesser constellate cat†*, Cherophilia the arcanaloth†‡#, Forge of Perpetual Creation the half-fire-elemental and half-positive-elemental†‡, Silvana the mortal vampire
SPECIAL: D&D 5e game with the following stipulation: Dwarves can be draphs. Humans can be reinterpreted as kemonomimis, dragon-blooded, and/or as generic petitioners. "Celestial" and "fiend" and so on apply only to "recognized" celestial and fiendish races, as opposed to more generic petitioners. A non-tanar'ri, non-obyrith, non-loumara petitioner of the Abyss, for example, would be considered a demon, but would not have the fiend type. Dolce the silverbrow human (reflavored variant human), Felicia the draph (reflavored hill dwarf), Suzette the... I am not sure what she is supposed to be, and the player can never seem to settle on anything (reflavored variant human), Tora the fiendish oni (reflavored variant human)#.
†Kemonomimi
‡Kitsunemimi
*Celestial
#Fiend

This is a total of 32 characters across 20 games. Of those 32 characters:
6.5 of them (~20.31%) of them have been arcanaloths
19 of them (~59.38%) of them have been kemonomimi
9 of them (~28.13%) of them have been kitsunemimi
7.5 of them (~23.44%) of them have been celestials
12.5 of them (~39.06%) of them have been fiends

Once that 5e game is included, D&D core races such as human and dwarf suddenly appear, and even then, they include slightly exotic reflavorings into a silverbrow human and a draph.

>Arcanaloths are by far the most popular Planescape race in my circle of players
Thats because you and likely all of your friends are /d/eviants, and weebs. Perhaps you should mention what modification you like using on your Arcanaloths?

As mentioned in :
>Perhaps it is because I flavor them as kemonomimi with the ears and tails of dogs, jackals, or foxes (Shemeshka is a canonical fox-arcanaloth as per page 96 of Uncaged: Faces of Sigil). It seems that many players are instantly sold on a race of cute and evil canid-wizard-daemons.

I cutesify virtually every race, however. A typical ultroloth in one of my games, for example, would look something similar to the image to the left.

Any race with even vaguely bestial characteristics becomes a kemonomimi in my wheel. Hound archons, warden archons, all guardinals, hellcats, hell hounds, arcanaloths, molydei, and so on all become kemonomimi.

The version of the roster with the D&D 5e game and 32 characters includes 19 kemonomimi, which means that ~59.38% of that roster has animal ears and animal tails.

7 of those 32 characters have one horn, two horns, or antlers. Thus, ~21.88% of have some form of horns or antlers.

>why *would* people play dwarves, elves, humans, and so on, given the freedom to play otherwise in the Wheel?

because we aren't furries or weebs

why would I want to play moe catgirls when I can play a goat centaur? or a gith?

>goat centaur

Sure, why not?

get your moe shit out of my planescape

>disgust.jpg

>And that is exactly the point I am trying to drive at: why *would* people play dwarves, elves, humans, and so on, given the freedom to play otherwise in the Wheel?
So you can roleplay being a normal person confronted by the endless weird stuff of the planes?

I mean, I'd probably run Planescape like it was Jules Verne-- in a way similar to one of the "fantastic voyages" of science fiction-- and "20,000 Leagues Under the Seas" would read very differently if it was written by merfolk.

(I admit, though, the notion of treating Planescape this way appeals to me in part because I like SF a lot more than fantasy; for me, a big part of the allure of Planescape arises from the fact that the premise and world feel wildly different from Ye Olde Standard Fantasy Setting. This is somewhat funny given the amount of stuff it filches from mythology.)

>So you can roleplay being a normal person confronted by the endless weird stuff of the planes?

I understand the appeal of this, but as a GM I have never once seen a PC express shock, surprise, wonder, etc. I could show them some mind-blowing cross-planar conspiracy that turns the plot upside-down and the most I'll get from the PCs is a sarcastic wisecrack.

Eyy, it's Dreamscape 2hu guy! Loved your post on that subject, give us some more concise summarized lore!

That's really fucking sad. And I don't mean that in a faux-pity "find better players" way-- I really don't know how common eternally-blasé PCs are. It's a genuine shame your players couldn't even try to fake a sense of wonder, and I'm sorry your cool conspiracies have elicited only sarcasm.

Why should everything in planescape have to be ugly as fuck?

Just use GURPS...

But seriously I don't know why you wouldn't use Dungeons & Dragons for planescape. Even someone who doesn't care for the system much.

If you just don't care for rules heavy systems... Well I don't care for FATE either but it is designed to get basic character concepts across in game in the simplest manner.

There is very little mechanical interaction to worry about. It's practically dice narrative system.

The characters have a few defining traits. If they want to use invoke them in game (like being big in a fight) they can cash in their fate points to get a bonus for it.

If the GM wants to use the trait against the player (like giving them a penalty to hiding for being big), they have to give a story point back to the player.

It's basic but gets the idea across.

Only True AD&D is suitable for Planescape. All other systems are mere pretenders, trying to usurp the glory of True AD&D.

>Dreamscape 2hu
More like scourge of Planescape and shittifier of it into anime.

part of the appeal of planescape is it's artwork

if you feel like the art style of the setting is ugly, then feel free to change it. But if you think that your creepy loli foxtail shit is a better aesthetic than this, then I wouldn't want to play with you anyway.

meant to post this, but either one works to be quite honest

Would that be AD&D 2nd Ed Revised?

I don't even know what Risus is. Time for some googling...

On a different line of thought, what about something like 13th Age?

This is one AND ONLY TIME that I will ever suggest this gameline, because otherwise it's horseshit, but if you want to run Planescape outside of its native AD&D 2e you should take a good look at Pathfinder.