How would you go about making a warhammer 40k movie? Do you start with the birth of the Emperor? The first founding...

How would you go about making a warhammer 40k movie? Do you start with the birth of the Emperor? The first founding? Would you need to cover all of the Primarchs' backstories, just a few, or just cover a little bit of each one? I think you would need at least a trilogy to cover the story from the first founding to the end of the Horus Heresy, if not more than that. Can you even make a (good) movie out of Warhammer 40k that doesn't just appeal to people who already know everything about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Badlands_(TV_series)
youtube.com/watch?v=iUkyAt6CJgU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do none of this, make a movie based on one of the one-off books like 15 hours. Provide glimpses of the setting from the perspective of the characters and use the plot to hammer in the grimdark tone.

You don't do a movie, you do a Band of Brothers/The Pacific style mini-series of 10ish 1-hr episodes, starting with the raising and training of a new IG regiment from Generic World #1 (who uses mostly Cadian-pattern gear, to tie in with the models), slowly introducing the major players of the Imperium (Guard, AdMech, Space Marines, Inquisition/Sisters, Titans) and upping the ante of the invasion from generic-seccessionist movement to full-blown Daemonic Invasion (starting with generic Traitor Guard, introducing Renegades and Heretics, then Chaos Space Marines, then Daemons and other forces of Chaos).

The series starts by focusing exclusively on the Guard regiment, with the first few episodes showing the capability of the Guard and establishing their "strength" as the "norm" for the audience. This "norm" will then be shattered by the simultaneous introduction of Ultramarines and Salamanders in contrast to the sudden-but-previously-implied existence of Word Bearers - the Chaos Marines devastate the Guard as they push into a hive and shatter their assault, but then the Space Marines appear at 2 minutes to midnight and drop from orbit, pushing them back in a brutal clash of arms as the Guard rallies and pushes forward. This shows the audience that human beings are still capable fighters in the 40K universe, and yet also shows them the incredible power of Space Marines (loyalist and traitor alike) by showing how much MORE capable they are. The introductions of things like Titans and Psykers halfway through the series up the scale as the war engulfs the planet .

Eventually, the planet is engulfed in a Daemonic Incursion, the Inquisitor uses the Guard regiment and a group of Space Marines to serve as his vanguard as he plants an Exterminatus deep into a hive structure. The series ends with the Ultramarines and Salamanders sacrificing themselves, alongside half the remaining Guard, to hold Chaos at bay while the Inquisitor and the rest escape off-world.

40k is a really dense setting, it'd be extremely hard to condense enough of it into 2-3 hours to make a decent film. You're better off making a tv show or an animated series instead.

Do a Badab War Trilogy so you can build up what the Imperium is and lead into corruption and chaos with the downfall of the Astral Claws.

Then for a Xenos movie either do Fall of Orpheus (since you can reuse the Minotaurs actors plus Krieg get a big role that guard lacked in Badab), or go with something more upbeat like Salamanders beating up Orks on Armageddon, or Inquisitors hunting down a Genestealer cult on a Hive World.

Fuck the big, major figures. We're going for some Commissar or Inquisitor.

This. A film is way too short, the amount of information that you would need to dump on an audience unfamiliar to the setting would be overwhelming (Jupitar Ascending sucks in lots of ways but its sheer amount of exposition is the main reason its dull as fuck, apart from I CREATE LIFE).

I agree it would have to be based on a Guard unit, seeing the universe through the eyes of someone who hasn't experienced the horror of 40k universe is a good way to introduce an audience to new things (for example Luke Skywalker lives in the Star Wars universe but things like Jedi, Clone Wars and the Empire are distant unknowable things to him at the start of a new hope).

Though not Cadian, Gaunt's Ghosts would be fucking awesome, you could just do the 'the founding' omnibus, which includes likable characters, good pacing, already has great mini stories for each major player (dat Larkin one with the statue for example), introductions to other factions and culminates in Vervinhive (a 3 parter to close out the series).

Also Eisenhorn would work really well, a season based on the first book would be doable. The problem is budget. Sci Fi tv shows suffer from having tv budgets and the special effects would suffer which anything based in the 40k is going to need alot of. I personally wouldn't care as long as the narrative is solid and they do the setting justice.

You are choosing the gayest parts of the setting to do a movie with.

The correct answer.

>special effects would suffer which anything based in the 40k is going to need alot of

No, costumes. Costumes and sets. That is going to be the biggest problem. There are plenty of ways to avoid the big set-piece things until a season finale. Costumes tho? You can't avoid that.

Wait, they could just raid a Pride and Prejudice theater troupe and then slap on some small cybernetics....

>The problem is budget

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_the_Badlands_(TV_series)

This got funded. They could do 40k.

Fall of eldar first.

necron origins + eldar conflict next

30k movie 3 part (expansion of man + conflict with xenos, loss of worlds in 2nd + remaining conflict + creation of primarchs.. include seeds of the hersy and recovering primarchs.. 3rd movie will be the horus heresy.

1 more film with orks/tau ..

1 more nids film.

now you may make a 40k movie.

I would also have the level of "what the fuck" Admech/Imperial stuff slowly increase over the show's run. To start with there'll be the Enginseer as basically a normal dude with an exoskeleton for fixing stuff and maybe the Admech commander at Guard HQ who's an old man in a robe, but then they meet a few servitors (and completely ignore them, but it shows things to the audience), the unassuming Dominus activates Hyperaction Protocols and sharpshoots his way through a Traitor Marine or two in an ambush along with maybe the Marine Advisor as everyone else is dying, we see some standard Skitarii at a distance in a muster scene and then later the Sicarians doing their bloody work on the battlefield, the Dominus peels back his facial membrane to make adjustments like Darth Vader, etcetera. Slowly ramp up that the Guardsmen's allies are almost as fucked-up as their enemies, because just dumping all that into the first few episodes would probably be a bit much.
Do the same for just how different the Marines are from normal men. More and more like weapons rather than people and generally a tad disconcerting for the Guard commanders at meetings. Steadily darken down the good guys until you hit full 40k dark grey vs. black.

(Then introduce the Tau in like season 4 and watch everyone get confused as to why they're the villains, it would be hilarious.)

I agree to an extent but sci fi is expensive no matter what you do. 40k aesthetics are grand, epic, gothic and over the top. Physical sets, make up, costumes, action sequences don't come cheap which is why many sci fi shows look cheap at times. You can't half ass the look of a setting like 40k, its all or nothing.

It can be done ofcourse with a production company worth its salt even on the cheap. Firefly had a shit budget which it worked to its advantage (static ship set, planets are wild west inspired keeping costs low etc) so its not a major problem, just something to consider.

Gaunts Ghosts nuff said

It's space marines fighting aliens and/or demons. The backstory is mostly irrelevant or easily glossed over, no one who isn't balls deep in the setting already is going to care and the ones who are don't need to be told. If there's one the thing the Ultramarines movie understood it's that you don't bog the audience with pointless fluff unless they absolutely must know to understand the story being told. A few lines of dialogue or a star wars-esque crawl of text at the beginning is more than sufficient unless your director and screen writer are both going full retard and want to make the movie one long info dump about the history of the Imperium.

>Would you need to cover all of the Primarchs' backstories

Hell no, don't mention them at all unless they're relevant to whatever space marine chapter(s) the movies about, even then does anyone really need to know who founded the Night Lords if he doesn't show up and they're not specifically on a mission related to him?

Basically the opposite of this:

Small scale, just show a bunch of space marines clearing a dreadnought or a Rogue Trader doing a heist that ends in a massive battle

Adding another vote for this. We're talking a movie not a documentary, you don't need three solid hours of exposition. Just tell a compelling story in the world, likely following a small handful of characters.

I'd say avoid Primarchs altogether. 40k is a big place, and it's easier for the audience to connect with people who are less superhuman.

Dude, they made FMVs of 40k shit back in the day. You can make 40k look good and on the cheap.

this. I see a lot of movies that i go, this could be like 40k. Just an easy 1 off movie that is relatable

I could definitely see how doing more of a classic war movie/tv series like Band of Brothers could do really well with things like the Imperial Guard, but I think doing something with the Primarchs could be interesting because of the inherent differences in their characters along with the conflict that sort of thing causes. Not to mention the issues rising from the daddy issues caused by the Emperor. I think there's a lot of interesting themes to explore there, especially with the Primarchs who fell to Chaos but for more complex reasons than, say, Angron or Horus. More along the lines of Magnus or Konrad Kurze. Conflict between Perturabo and Dorn because Perturabo always felt like he should've been the architect and not the guy always knocking shit down? There's a lot to explore there.

Also you probably don't need tons of exposition but you would need at least a bit to explain the setting plus whoever the Guard happen to be fighting at the time

I dunno, all the 40k movies/fmv stuff I've seen looks pretty cheap generally. I think it would cost a lot to do it right. Though to be honest I do question a little bit how good the fuckhueg pauldrons would look on screen

> I think it would cost a lot to do it right.
>all the 40k movies/fmv stuff I've seen looks pretty cheap generally.

I don't understand. You just described doing it right...

There's a misconception running in this thread.

You do not have to start at the temporal beginning of a setting.

LotR didn't start with Silmarillion stuff.

Star Wars didn't start with Old Republic/Clone Wars.

A 40k medium does not have to start with The War in Heaven/Great Crusade/ Horus Heresy.

You make a good story with great characters in current. THEN you explore thebackstory.

This. Do not try to do stupid Horus Heresy bullshit. The Horus Heresy should have stayed myth, legend.

You need to introduce people to the setting, and the best perspective to do that from is a Guardsman whose never been off their home planet. Ease folks into how unbelievably fucked everyone is. Theme of the movie: Ignorance is Bliss.

Fuck all of that. Just do a simple story about a world besieged.

That's a good point. Maybe start with a smaller narrative about a guardsman on some planet (maybe even Cadia or Catachan?) and then establish the setting and exposition through that to make it easier to build on?

Also a 40k movie doesn't necessarily have to be about how fucked everyone is. Rage against the dying of the light, etc etc.

i always thought a sci-fi/horror story about a guardsmen on a planet infiltrated by GSC would be cool. they're forced to battle the cosmic horrors holding on to their only hope that the imperium will save them. it can have one of those hip ambiguous endings where the main character sees what look like meteors falling through a red sky after the final climactic battle; leaving the viewer to wonder if it's reinforcements or exterminatus.

cadians vs orks or cultists is such a common occurrence in the setting that they'd be perfect for a story in the 41st millenium.

I'm adapting this into a screenplay, for fun and because I like this book

...this book

That's the ones with SoB vs Necrons right?

Here's something else I was wondering, do you have "Warhammer 40k: ________" right there in the title or do you just name it something innocuous and then have it be a Warhammer 40k movie to ease people into the story?

Does anyone have a copy of the Gaunt's Ghosts movie trailer greentext, I lost mine.

definitely the latter.

Yeah. Its a small story, but it has cool stuff in it. Plus the characters are interesting including the villans

That's what I'm thinking, I think the public perception of Warhammer might hurt it if it were the former. On top of just blatant in-your-face branding.

Opening scene idea for a cadians vs. xenos film:
>black screen with ominous sub-bass
>scraping and the sound of objects being dragged fades in
>ext. high noon several guardsmen are positioned in a trench dug into red clay.
>we see men dragging stones and such fortifying their position
>close up of one sharpening a bayonet
>protagonist is crouched with jaws chattering and eyes glazed over. lasrifle resting against the wall of the trench.
>in the periphery we hear a commotion and see the silhouette of a commissar performing a summary execution screaming something along the lines of "to arms, cowards!"
>protag is knocked out of his stupor by a tap on his shoulder and is helped to his feet by a nearby comrade
>the ambient sub-bass grows louder and the sound of a stampeding horde can be heard
>protag shoulders his rifle, still shaking, and squeezes the trigger with a click
>cut to a command and control center where an officer says something like "we're making progress, sir."

then they'd go on to explain the setting and stakes in the form of a brief sitrep, as well as what they need to accomplish to win the conflict (aka what the protagonist will find himself roped into). this might be a little rough because it's just off the top of my head for the most part.

I would go for a movie about Inquisitorial acolytes. Guardsmen daily routine is a solid choice for a movie adaptation, but it's unlikely to depict the setting comprehensively

I would just do amovie about the war of apocolypse.

No explaination, everything would be explained by just it happening

Magnus man, he is a fucking great tragic hero.

>intro with a quick summary of the events of the Heresy
>pull out, it's a speech given by a Chaplain or Captain to the Marines under his command
>we follow one of the Marines in the squad, this will be his first combat drop as a full Marine
>he's nervous, but is told by his buddy from training that he'll be great and by the Captain that he has tons of potential to be a leader
>they're getting ready to drop on a hot zone under attack by Orks
>Librarian mentions something strange, give a quick rundown on psykers and the Inquisition
>they drop, things are going well
>our Marine acquits himself well but makes a mistake that almost gets someone killed
>the Marines link up with the local Guard forces
>shit progresses until OH FUCK CHAOS WHO COULD'VE PREDICTED THIS
>most of the present Marines are wiped out
>only survivor is our Marine, who is saved by his superior officer after he makes a similar mistake to earlier
>sets out to unite the Guard under his command using his superior tactical knowledge to turn crucial battles
>having bonded somewhat earlier, he bonds further with the Guardsmen, showing that despite how far removed Marines are, they are still human somewhere and blah blah blah
>despite their effectiveness, he doesn't like putting them in danger due to said bonding
>wages a one-man guerilla war against Chaos, eventually succeeds at pushing them back
>he's cornered by the Chaos leader, a mighty sorcerer
>as he's about to be killed, suddenly the Guard launch a surprise attack, giving the Marine the opportunity he needs to fight and kill the sorcerer
>wiser now, when the circumstances of his previous mistakes present themselves again, he takes the correct course of action and in so doing saves the life of the main Guardsman he bonded with
>movie ends with a ship arriving and a mysterious man with an Inquisitorial symbol on his armor stepping off and asking to know who's in command
>heroic pose
>"I am, sir."

there's a reason Space Marine worked.

>>as he's about to be killed, suddenly the Guard launch a surprise attack, giving the Marine the opportunity he needs to fight and kill the sorcerer
Definitely needs a wall of Russes accompanying a Baneblade. Just imagine it. The ground starts trembling, loads of Russes appear on the hill, getting closer by the second. Suddenly, they make a bit room, and a tank arrives, a lot bigger than the Russes: THE BANEBLADE!
>cue charge Riders of Rohan style

I didn't even read the thread but I already know it's full of faggots who think they'd actually make Guardkino where space marines are only a minimal part of the story, and it focuses on all the FEELINGS and GRIMDARK HOPELESSNESS.

Any real 40k Movie that doesn't appeal to the masses gets trashed by critics and plebbits alike, bombs in the box office and Only gets praise by /tv/tg/ crossover faggots who insist it was just too smart for normies to understand. Think BvS except without the 2 most widely known superheroes in existence drawing in fans.

They said the same about Game of Thrones nigger. Go back a decade and try telling people that the most popular tv show in the future has dragons in it.

>10 years ago
You mean well after the Lord of the Ring film series finished and the biggest franchise at the time was Harry Potter? GoT being the most popular show now would shock literally no one, normies love fantasy.

40k movie would bomb just as hard as films like John Carter, Valerian, Jupiter Ascending, etc.

>Brother Protagnius: Chris Hemsworth
>Captain Deadsoon: Sean Bean (alt Idris Elba)
>Sorcerer Reallybad Darkman: Michael Ironside
>Guardsman Jimothy J. Supporting-Character: David Wenham (alt Michelle Rodriguez)

you're acting like 40k is some unheard-of franchise. 40k is more popular and well-known than ASOIAF was 10 years ago.

I thought about that to, but maybe a Series would be better?
If I would make a 40k movie, I would simply go for a BL Story. If it just should be one film, go for Titanicus. Nice Book, Epic Titan Battles and many different characters, the only thing that I would complain, ist that it would be a bit strange for people who don't know 40k, because its heavily focussed on the Admech. If you want Blockbuster in Overlength, maybe go for the Second War for Armageddon, make sure that you cast some good actor for Yarrik and don't let the Orks luck stupid and I could be working. If you want a (grim)darker, tragic Story, just take the Eisenhorn Trilogy. I would take Rufus Sewell for the young eisenhorn, I think.

This is important. Show don't tell.

Tau as villains would be amazing. One of the interesting things about the 40k fandom is I don't think it was entirely intended by the creators of the Tau, but they kind of memetically shifted to a far-left totalitarian state to complement the Imperium's far-right one over time since their release. Their early stuff is much more positive, and now they at least talk about manipulative Ethereals doing shit behind the scenes, mind control hats on Vespids, etc.

But yeah, if you did it right, you'd have people naturally assuming that the Guard, for example, are the good guys, looking mostly human and up against a murderous Satanist antifa rebellion, later supported by roided up murdermachines with hand-held semi-auto rpg launchers. Might work even better if the loyalists have no Astartes support, really drive home the hopelessness of the setting. And have the Admech and servitors be creepy and weird, have commissars *blam*ing people at times. Could start as something almost familiar and go to weird, creepy territory real fast.

Yeah. Start with a Guard regiment training. "We're the best of the best of our home world, ready to serve the Imperium!"

Tear-filled goodbyes, "Gee, I wonder when the war will be over and we'll be able to come home?", all that... people think they're getting Starship Troopers, kind of.

Then the Event Horizon shit starts happening.

it's also important to remember that if you're making a movie you've got to have humor in it. if you're going for a blockbuster (and you have to for something like this), then anything full-grimdark or even completely serious will get shat on. if nothing else, characters need to recognize the over-the-topness of the universe they're in.

Should the characters? Or should you go for the Judge Dredd-style gallows humor where the characters take everything seriously but the situation is so over the top you can't help but laugh?

Or will there just be orks in it?

Orks.

but the characters should acknowledge it. in Dredd it works because though the universe is over-the-top, it's still ultimately a grounded, ugly little film where physics as we know them aren't completely ignored. when you take that same concept and apply it to something far, far sillier or unrealistic (BvS), you get people laughing at the setting rather than with the setting.

you don't need to go full quipgasm, though. Orks to lighten the early story a bit (though they should still be dangerous), then occasional jokes to break the mood.

>between battles
>Space Marine and Guardsman are talking
>"Hey, I've always wondered something, sir."
>Marine gives unprompted speech on heroism
>"Actually I was gonna ask how you go to the bathroom."

Orks would be great as they are dangerous but funny in a very dark and violent way.

I was talking more about Judge Dredd the comic rather than Dredd the film... the comics are as grim as the film in parts but in others veer into British-style dry gallows humor pretty heavily. As well as OTT one-liners like pic related.

Like... you know General Ripper from Dr. Strangelove? He takes himself completely seriously but his character is hilarious. You could totally have a character like that who's a commissar, priest, or AdMech to lighten things up while still keeping the setting sufficiently dark.

The worry is that they'd be more fun than the actual protagonists.

>The worry is that they'd be more fun than the actual protagonists.
Nah, you have to show them extremely dangerous and cruel, like ripping someone's arm off to use it as a bat, bosses and meks killing their boyz if they look at them funny or ask stupid questions. They should be funny because they think "red unz go fasta" but ultimately they are 200kg of muscle ready to shove a shoppa in your guts and loving every second of it.

Like the villains in Punisher: War Zone, maybe?

To guy saying that the Tau should be villians. That doesn't work.

In most Tau stories the Tau are either neutral or playing straight man to the Imperium's grimdark.

Yeah. The guards and the marines could be funny in a human way, maybe dialed up a bit, like in most war movies, and then you get scenes of ork life and you understand they are really biological killing machines.

Nah, basically the Tau should be the equally oppressive Communists to the Imperium's Fascists. Perhaps at first you think they're the good guys, just because they're in such stark contrast to the Imperium and its brand of oppression, but the truth should come out eventually.

You gotta have the one Guardsman who's just like "I came from a peaceful farm and am completely normal and oh my god why does everything in the galaxy want to kill me, even my own officers?!" to get that audience stand-in.

not in the first movie, you can't. if you're making a movie like this, the Imperium have to be the good guys, even with shades of grey, and the bad guys have to be fully unambiguous.

but on the other hand, you're already thinking about the second movie in the series, so you're more like a studio executive than i thought.

I was thinking more in terms of a TV series, but yeah, they'd be a later-season antagonist.

To start you've got to do Chaos rebels or Orks to get the feel of it, to present the setting's "normal."

>Take Guard Unit from world similar to our Earth
>Get notified they are being sent to a new warzone
>Commissars arrive to join them
>Arrive on world besieged by Orks, told to hold a certain stretch of trench
>Put alongside a Krieg unit, plus some remnants of other guard units
>Guardsmen talk a bit, other parts of 40k are treated as myth/legend. One scene has a Priest describe the Heresy; another has Guardsmen discuss if Marines actually exist
>They fight off a few sparse attacks, and are later told to prove the Ork lines that command thinks are empty
>The attack is initially a success, but once far enough in the Orks spring a trap and attack in full force
>The Krieg reginent dies to a man to allow the others to escape; the last shot is the remaining guardsmen smiling as they are hit by artillery. This is the only time they smile
>Remaining guard are forced to hold their lines against a massive Ork assault; even the priest gets involved with an eviscerator
>The lines are being overrun, and close in on one character who has been concussed by an explosion
>Just before a Nob can kill him, it recoils and is cut down by bolter fire
>Space Marines arrive, led by a Cbaplain and Dreadnaught. The Marines receipt catechisms in unison and start pushing back the Orks
>The battle escalates, as Imperial Armor arrives backed by Titans; briefly focus on a crew of a Baneblade or Russ
>The battle ends, and the surviving characters meet up to rest. They are informed they will be moving to a new warzone soon
>"In the Grim Darkness..."
>After credits scene has one of the characters start praying to Chaos

A second movie would deal with mutants and Genestealers and introduce the Inquisition, while the third would dive in with Chaos Marines, Eldar, and Demons.

I see where you're going with it, but it totally takes the moment of heroism away from the actual protagonists. If you're going to have guard be the main POV characters, you can't have Astartes step in in the third act and steal all the glory.

Chaos Marines, on the other hand...

Master and Commander in space.
Or an admech/sororita romcom.

you could, but you'd need to introduce the Marines earlier so they don't just deus ex machina he whole flick. either a ticking clock until the Marines arrive, or the Marines die and the Guardsmen have to fire off the signal beacon to the rest of the Marines to tell them to send reinforcements.

Damn, my dudes, don't any of you read Shoggy?

Introduction to 40k? Low level inquisitors, coming from a guard background. They're a great audience avatar because the roles are familiar to the audience and because they don't necessarily know anything about the shit they're about to face--they've been kept in the dark, like good citizens of the imperium, and they're only learning about the terrifying things out there because they're inquisitors.

First couple of episodes open with flashbacks that inevitably introduce the main conceit of that particular episode and, ideally, a bunch of dead guardsmen who didn't quite make it.

>>Assassination mission to take out warboss
>>Intrepid team fights their way through the dense jungle, dodging patrols and horrifying fauna to eventually kill a huge Ork
>>Report success in such a way that they are commended but it's made clear that their striving and loss has seen them take out a noob at high cost
>>Great work! Keep going.
>>Jump cut to crazed survivors weeks later, playing cards as the inquisitorial shuttle is ferrying them back to the ship

That movie was so fucking good holy shit.

I actually would like to see the Romcom with a priest and a tech priestress, but more because I like the aesthetic of female techpriests.

You need it really to be a multi part hbo style series focussed on the Horus Heresy and building up all the tensions between the various Primarchs until it explodes.

One of my favourite things in it was that the SOB and the Necrons both had the exact same opinion on the Mechanicus.

>What are those fucking idiots up to this time?
>Oh hell, I think they are trying to meddle in necron tech.
>This is going to be stupid.

That and actually showing some necron stuff that doesn't turn up on the TT (Like the inside of their hyperspace bullshit structures)

I want a story where the AdMech discovers an inactive Tomb World, and has some time to find their tech so advanced, they'd think there might be magic at work.

This saving private newfish is the best way to get people into 40k and you show off one of the best xenos

In Hammer and Anvil the head techpriest (Briefly) manages to hack and seize control of necron systems. Mind you, he's also devoted his life to autistically trying to understand necron tech.

Even the other techpriests have no clue what he did and the SOB general responce is 'You are a fucking idiot. This is going to provoke them and get you killed'.

[spoilers] It provokes them and gets him killed after he gets banhammered from the systems by the Cryptek [/spoilers]

Not really. The Cryptek revealed that he allowed the Admech guy to think he hacked into the Necron systems, IIRC.

Actually, I thought about it, and I think, the best possibility would be, to start with young malcador meeting emps, and have him as the main character.

I'd say a TV show with a war of escalation on a planet that ultimately ends in a full on Daemon Invasion/Exterminatus.

Like what said.

>How would you go about making a warhammer 40k movie?

Why would you? It just brings in normies and females and they'd ruin everything.

You have a 2-minute introduction along the line of the Fire Warrior intro video, then you jump straight to an Inquisitor's investigation, and draw you in in media res.

youtube.com/watch?v=iUkyAt6CJgU

That does sound good. I would possibly then go back to the pre-battle or landing staging area, so you can introduce the main characters and show the Guard forming up and some Skitarii or Enginseers in the background, plus dropships and such. Just introduce the scale of the thing somewhat.

Honestly a GOOD 40k film that would be compatible with mainstream audiences would have to do something that 40k rarely ever does and that is not focus on any flavours of marines for once. They can be there sure but they themselves are too cheesy and unrelatable to the average viewer and a film with more relatable characters (like from the guard) fighting an easier to understand foe that you need to know not much about (orks or nids) would be a lot easier to sell and produce. The only way a 40k movie would realisticly happen though, like a live action one with a high budget is if GW was 10x the company it is now.

Introduce the setting the way House Vyronii was to it.
>dying planet overrun by xenos
>last fortress of the last humans picks up incoming fleet
>everyone rushes to the ramparts to die gloriously
>ship lands
>door opens
>hey you guys need a ride?
Just follow a group of confused individuals trying to fit into a galaxy that doesn't care about them, but which they are willing to die for.

So... gaunts ghosts?

>Guard vs Tyranids

Sooo...Starship Troopers?

Just make the whole movie nothing but pure bolter porn and explosions.

You can't fuck it up.

Stop trying to shoehorn some shitty plot, just make sure there's action and more action.

>t. Executive Producer

We have enough of that bollocks already. I'd much rather throw Saving Private Ryan, Event Horizon, early Game of Thrones and Star Wars battle scenes into a TV Series blender, pour it into a 40k mould and see what comes out. Probably a pile of shit, but hey they might get it right.

>15 hours
This. Fug Horus Heresy

The Fast and Furious but with orks.

That sounds more like Redline.

That sounds a lot better.

The space marine game did this well. it had a self contained charterer driven story that showed just enough of the setting without ridiculous levels of exposition.

>How would you go about making a warhammer 40k movie?

Call together a team of award winning jewish directors and screenwriters to put together the most awe-inspiring movie of the century. First step is making the emperor a proud black woman in touch with her african roots. Then I'd have the story revolve around a homosexual space marine coming to terms with his sexual orientation while dealing with less-than-appropriate insults from his battle brothers. One day one of the battle brothers who regularly insults him opens up about his sexuality and it turns out he's gay and in love. They have a wedding full of salutary bolter fire that is interrupted by the evil chaos space marines who are bigoted and hateful of homosexuality and trans people (slaaneshi marines don't make an appearance). Instead all chaos space marines have a red, black, and white color scheme with a black 8 pointed swastika. Just when it seems the chaos space marines are about to win, the power of gay love overcomes and the adeptus astartes defeat them. The entire chapter then travels the galaxy teaching tolerance and punishing bigotry.

Once a season or two of 'normal' shit goes by, and audiences are invested, that's when you start dropping the weird antagonists.

Season 3 starts with guardsmen being torn to shreds by weird green guys with bad English accents, while main guardsman character just stands there, dead look on his face. Just another day in the shit.

Make the show about humans existing/surviving among the shit, not about the shit itself.

Besides, if the weird shit is really popular, you get SPINOFFS! I'm thinking Ork show that watches like a sitcom, despite still being a brutal military setting.
For example: Warboss Smashskull is planning a big push on the 'umies tonight, but he can't find his lucky hat! Turns out some gretchins spilled fungus juice on it and tried to clean it with a flamer. Hilarity ensues as they try to cover the secret, and Smashskull learns he had the WAAAGHH in him all along, hat or no hat. Also he skins the gretchins alive at the end to make a new hat. (Implied off screen, of course. It's a family show!)

I too am perked by this idea

just pick major multi layer conflict and just start the show at the beginning of the height of the war, keep the film rolling till the end , explaining things ... just by having them happen.

All movies are already 40k movies. That's the point of the setting. Just squint a little and imagine extra skulls glued everywhere.

That's how you make a boring as fuck movie with no substance

>meet Yon Quintus Everyn, manufactorum worker at a hive city
>watch his first day assigned at a manufactorum putting laspistols together
>watch the incrementally brutal quotas, lack of workplace safety, mounting bodycount
>watch Yon overhear word of rebellion and mutiny
>Yon joins a workers meeting, other malcontents and dissidents chafing at the ecclesiarchy, Arbites, etc.
>Yon gets involved in low level sabotage
>big incident goes down in another section of the hive
>suppression ensues, but larger rebellion builds
>rumors of warpwyrds and psykers promising ultimate power
>proves himself in targeted attacks against arbites patrols that become incrementally more effective
>brought into the upper echelons of the conspiracy, meets with a psyker and balls-deep chaos cultists
>De-activates his limiter, the psyker starts to how in terror as he draws a pistol and fucking executes him
>flatlines everyone in the room before pulling out an inquisitorial rosette just as stormtroopers bust down the doors

idunno might be cool