Why does cyberpunk not work in tabletop form...

Why does cyberpunk not work in tabletop form? Is it because hacking is an inherently single person job but it's too important to the genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailycaller.com/2016/01/11/fat-studies-courses-fat-awareness-groups-spread-across-universities/
youtube.com/watch?v=408tWOubRDM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Why does cyberpunk not work in tabletop form?
The fuck you jabbering about?

It works, but it's hampered by retarded DMs and players.

On some days under this fair moon, be it rain or sun, city to grassland to desert, one thing seems to always be true...
>OP is a fucking idiot

Shadowrun struggles as a TTG. But cyberpunk works just fine.

you know there more to cyber punk than hacking right?

Hacking-as-a-dungeon can work if everyone at the table gets to play in it.

What exactly am I looking at here?

>pictured, OP, in a rare photo without a cock in their mouth

The step up from a cage home in Hong Kong.

Instead of just being a row of cages the size of a very small bed, it's a box the size of a very small bed.

Basically literal coffin apartments. (as opposed to the usual coffin apartment which is about 4-6 times the size with a bunk bed and a little space to move)

Anyone else saddened that girls like this won't exist anymore but will be replaced by HAES landwhales that think they can pull off the look? See through rain jacket will do nothing for rolls upon rolls of lard. The necklace will barely be visible under the third chin. The future is so disappointing...

His battlestation still looks better than mine goddamnit.

That is scarily close to our present time.

Will they even fit in the cubes?

>big girl dance class
So they have a paramedic on standby to deal with broken ankles?

We'll make them fit.

This (or rather, these).

Also...

Who the fuck left the door to /r9k/ unlocked?

Go dry your hambeast fold sweat, we can smell it from here.

Yep; definitely an outing day for /r9k/.
And you whiny bitches wonder why us 'normies' are always invading your little safe space.

Being a 400lbs rainbow hair pansy like you is hardly the 'norm'.

Just reported you for being a little faggot.

Beats being a fat faggot, am I right guys?

Announcing reports is against the rules, user.

that depends on how important you think it is for hacking to be done by player characters.

someone's apartment. Also a strong argument for the importance of politicians respecting urban planning instead of just doing whatever the hell they want .

what does it say about me that my biggest problem with living in such a space would be the lack of a bathroom and Air Conditioning.

Bathroom and kitchen are probably shared. A/C and ventilation depend probably on how much you pay. I guess the coffin homes have no A/C while the Japanese net café probably has it.

Even Judge Dredd has to deal with Tumblr's bullshit.

Silly user, the bathroom *is* the kitchen.

>everything is so close you'd better have great hygiene about everything or you'll be dead within a week

>Is it because hacking is an inherently single person job
It isn't? It can be broken into lots of different sub-tasks requiring different skillsets.

>Current beauty trend is athletic bodies
>Exercise more popular than ever
>"Girls are all becoming land whales!"
>okay.jpg

>inherently single person job

Jesus, read Neuromancer. It's the seminal work and you don't know shits about cyberpunk until you do.

All of the hacks in the book required a team effort of diverse skill set characters. It's literally a blueprint.

The short explination is "the target is air gapped"

There's more harmful bacteria on average keyboard than on average crapper. And plenty a people eat at their computer.

You don't really need kitchen. You eat at ramen windows, or have instant noodles, chocolate bars, etc. I lived without kitchen for almost a year back at college, and even now I would miss washing machine more than I would miss fridge and stove. Food can get real simple when you put pragmatism before enjoyment.

So in other words, obese SJWs would be right at home in /r9k/?

How exactly is that politician's fault?

I once thought of a cool idea to fix hacking. What if this cybee punk is more 'apple white' kind of future and have all players able to hack wirelessly. Each turn in combat they do a physical action and a hacking action. But the type of action is based on class. For example, a fighter may use their hacl actions to buff their cyber pimbs or increase their aim, or even hack the accuracy of theor enemies. Etx etc.
Thoughts?

So everyone is a script kiddie that can code out of combat. Because coding in combat is like assembling your getaway vehicle from a box of scraps under fire.

>I once thought of a cool idea to fix hacking

...it's broken?

I mean sure your idea is cool but what's all this "fixing" nonsense?

Have you ever tried playing Cyberpunk 2020 or Shadowrun? Because if you had you'd know that it is a giant pain in the ass.

Yeah I play Shadowrun. The hacking is pretty easy once you wrap your head around it. The only problem is that my group has never been interested in using it so we usually just have an NPC hacker and whoever is GMing just rolls some dice.

>what is shadowrun

>assembling your getaway vehicle from a box of scraps under fire.
Hard mode engaged.
Lets do this.

I have a netrunner in my 2020 game and it works just fine.

Cyberpunk 2020's hacking isn't complicated or particularly time consuming. You don't need to hack dataforts each time you want to do something simple like unlocking a door or disabling a CCTV camera.

Hacking is only a small part of cyberpunk. The social engineering / contact gathering part is actually the most important part - information is power. Yet, everyone puts the emphasize on hacking and fighting.

the class is just full body twerking...

The only air gap here is between op's ears.

This is probably going to suck in table top, but it'd probably work in a video game (I think Syndicate had something like that).

Modern studios in Bangkok often don't feature a kitchen since people eat outside, order food for home delivery or get take-away food. As a result, young urbans cannot cook for shit. Having an apartment with a kitchen is becoming a status symbol.

Just like Ancient Rome.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Another cool thing in Bangkok is the sky train (basically an elevated metro). Sky train stations are connected to elevated walkways that are themselves connected to shopping malls and hotels. To have access to those secured and clean walkways you need to pass a security check. Beggars and bums get kicked out. Once this net of stations and walkways get sufficiently developed, wealthy people wouldn't need to walk on the street.

So are there any good cyberpunk systems that weren't made in the early 90s?

Interface Zero 2.0. Infinity when it comes out has shades of it, if you play in the right place. Corporation.

>Is it because hacking is an inherently single person job
Both hacking and sniping involve a single character investing a bunch of time into something while apart from the rest of the party.

There is an easy solution.

These are not PCs, they are NPCs contracted by the party for their specific support function.

There are plenty Cyberpunk games that were designed after the 90s, but I couldn't say if they're good or not since I didn't play them, apart of Cyberpunk V.3 which is shit.
Polychrome
Tech Noir
Remember Tomorrow
Sprawl
Interface Zero / Interface Zero 2.0
Wyred
Cyberpunk V.3
Tokyo Nova
Kuro
Ex Machina

dailycaller.com/2016/01/11/fat-studies-courses-fat-awareness-groups-spread-across-universities/

"Typically found in women and gender studies departments, fat studies courses don’t study obesity as a leading cause of death in America but rather approach fatness as a “social justice” issue, and usually focus on “fat liberation” movements and activism as ways to combat the “stigma” attached to obesity."

"A PowerPoint presentation from the course consistently discourages weight loss and denies that being fat is unhealthy."

I have the Corporation rulebook, never found a group though. How is it?

It's pretty good. Played in an EI group a year or two ago, had a pretty good time. Nothing immediately obviously wrong.

The infinity one is very much Cyberpunk (hacking, espionage, cybernetics, etc) and the corebook is finished. When the rest of wave 1 is done it'll get printed and shipped. It has a very CP2020-like character background generator that also affects starting stats and stuff but has the weirdest abstracted income/assets system I've seen which looks like it could be a pain to run.

>the weirdest abstracted income/assets system
Tell me.

Cyberpunk 2020 is a pretty comfy and simple system. No reason for me to switch to a different system. I can model about anything with it.

How do you deal with the weird tech level and setting? Keep as is? Update for modern times?

Also, how do you do hacking?

If I was a new DM I'd probably go with Interface Zero 2.0 since it has about the same amount of crunch or I'd use Ex Machina.

The tech level is outdated for petty stuff like cell phones and consumer electronics. This can be adapted pretty easily.

Hacking, like I've mentioned before, is divided in two things. On one side you have the full and somewhat time consuming datafortress hacking (that's if you want to uncover secret stuff or subvert the datafortress by implanting fake info). On the other you have hacking of remotely controlled stuff (doors, lifts, robocabs, cameras...), which is very simple and very fast.

I mean no one cares about how much RAM Takeshi Kovacs' phone has or how many phone numbers it can memorize. This kind of detail is trivial. Mike Pondsmith made the error of giving this kind of info.

How is NeoTokyo anyway? Are there still players?

No idea. Never played it, but love the art.

It basically relies on one of your 7 basic attributes "Personality" to determine the number of assets you get (plus any you happen to come across in random character creation) and a related skill "lifestyle" which is added to the personality attribute to determine the target number you must roll under for lifestyle tests and also affects your "cashflow" which is basically the amount you have to spend per session.

Before you can buy virtually anything you need to make an Acquisition test, a lifestyle roll to see if you can find it, or someone to sell you it, a roll that is made harder because anything you might actually want is restricted with a difficulty of 0 - 5 successes needed. A normal roll without stored momentum will only have two dice - you won't have built up momentum during character creation so the only ways to get more successes are to burn assets to get an extra dice on the roll or have enough ranks in expertise and focus for the lifestyle skill. Focus ranks improve your chances of getting a "focused/critical" success which gives you an extra success on a roll of 1-3 (depending on how many ranks of focus you have) or 1-5 if lifestyle is a signature skill related to your profession/education.

Even knives and plasteel pipe have a restriction level of 1 success needed to find someone to sell them to you. So if you want a combi rifle (Restriction 3) for your nomad moderator to start the game with you will probably want to burn an asset or two for an extra dice unless you are confident both of your 2d20 rolls will be successes with one being critical success.

(Cont'd)

The value of assets is very unclear. Being written into a dead relatives will in character creation gives you 2 assets so you are potentially blowing your inheritance on the CHANCE to find a gun you need to effectively do your job at this point. Assets such as those 5 assets another player got when their character won the lottery or the 10 a third player got from finding an alien artifact, cannot be used to buy things directly - only to improve your chances of finding the item you want to buy or restoring some of your "cashflow".

Cashflow is determined by adding 5 to your lifestyle expertise ranks (1-3 or 1-5 if lifestyle is a signature skill), plus your earnings which is randomly determined in character creation by social status or career and can be as low as 0 if you are unlucky and become unemployed in character creation or as high 9 if you are a really lucky corporate exec - more likely it will be around 3/4 as most jobs don't pay that well. So if you are a pretty average fellow with earnings of 3 but you thought ahead and put 3 ranks skill expertise in lifestyle (your character creation max with the profession you rolled/chose) then you will only have a max of 11 cashflow. That should be enough to buy a combirifle, right? Well...

There's something way better than the art ... the soundtrack. I used parts of it while leading cyberpunk campaigns.
youtube.com/watch?v=408tWOubRDM

(Cont'd)

The cost of items is determined randomly too. A combi rifle costs 6 + 3combat dice. A combat dice is a d6 but you ignore 3-5 and 6 is instead a special effect - in this case the special effect is to increase the cost by an item dependent Tariff amount (1 for a combi rifle). So you end up with a combi-rifle that costs between 6 and 12 of your Cashflow. This means you could potentially lose an Asset or two finding/not finding your single purchase, and if you do find it you might not be able to afford it because it costs 12 but that's okay - you can use an Asset to restore Cashflow mid-purchase with a regular 2d20 lifestyle roll + 1d20 for each additional Asset spent. For each success you restore 2 Cashflow (up to your maximum) so you only need one success.

However, every purchase costing 5 Cashflow or more means you've had a shortfall which increases the difficulty of finding future purchases by one step meaning you'll likely need to spend more Assets finding your second purchase. Also, if you end a purchase with 0 cashflow you get another shortfall and four shortfalls mean you can no longer make any purchases. You can sell off your assets to recover shortfalls in the same way you restore cashflow but you only recover one shortfall per success and each shortfall increases the difficulty so you'll need an additional one or more successes before any shortfalls start to be recovered.

(Cont'd)

If you spend 1 asset finding someone to sell you a combi-rifle, plus one to recover cashflow mid purchase and another to recover the shortfall you will always have when buying a minimum cost 6 combi-rifle then you have blown your whole inheritance and go into debt just to make a simple, single purchase. I really cannot see what the benefit of this system is but it seems like it will slow down player purchasing equipment and upgrades. Players will want to shop every session considering that they will be getting a standard cashflow boost at the start of every session and that their is so much to buy - from guns, ammo types and weapon attachments, armour and armour integrated equipment, to hacking devices and program upgrades, geist upgrades, Lhosts and remotes, to cybernetics, biografts and other augments.

All those rolls, just to buy a combi-rifle and not go broke in the process. No roleplaying to look for underground contacts to buy illegal weapons. No rules for military or police personnel being able to acquire the weapons or items they need to do their jobs. Although, a character can use the awareness based thievery skill to search the black market instead of using the lifestyle skill to find items and this reduces the difficulty of finding them but can instead jack the cost up.

Alright ... who the hell invented a system like THAT? What person in their right mind would implement this?

Yes, the soundtrack is nice, too.

Someone who didn't think allowing players to keep track of their money was a good idea so wanted to give them a fixed amount per session and then ruined that by throwing in nonsensical assets.