We Design A Surreal Apocalyptic Setting: Take Three

Continued on from here: , .
Let's try to do something with this, shall we?

>"Ah, how kind of you to join us. Please, partake of all the wonders laid before you. We have no restrictions here."

Seems to me like:
>World filled with networked nano machines.
>Inside people, food, furniture you name it.
>Something goes wrong on a massive scale
>Nano machines do their best to change people into furniture, furniture into food, food into people, you name it.
>Horrific "blended" tapestries as people and animals are merged into thier surroundings.
>The problem stops, a failsafe kicking in after a few days.
>The damage done was on a massive scale, even in a short period of time. Destroying civilization entirely.
Everyone who survives more or less intact had to pick up the pieces in a new twisted hellscape.

That could work. The original threads had a more 'chaotic' feel with "The Expanse" and the whole dying cosmos thing, but this can work.

Also, just going to bump this.

>Towering monuments to the Ancients litter the landscape, worn and torn by the ravages of time, but still standing tall and shining with alien wonder.

reminds me of "john dies at the end"

Now that I look at that image closer, it kinda *does* resemble some of them oysters from that a bit.

It's art of Korrok, from the book.

>It's art of Korrok, from the book.
So it is. Thanks for mentioning that user.
>And so it was that a blind man had enlightened the misguided ones to the alien truths bubbling beneath the surface

>The Expanse is boundless and hungry, devouring all that exists and bringing about a ceaseless cycle of decay and ruin. There is no freedom from this nightmare, we are trapped in a withering cosmos as all of reality crumbles and breaks. We are truly lost in this boundless darkness from which there is no respite.

I've been working on a sort of surreal post-postapocalyptic setting in a sort of "S.T.A.L.K.E.R." scenario where locals have regrouped in the periphery and learned to exist around the anomalous nature of the land(still a deathtrap for outlanders). Thing is I want to inject a sort of subtle character into it, and I have been trying to think of things which are surreal but in such a way that you don' really realize what is happening at first but makes you shit a brick with the implications when you put the pieces together. Things that gets more surreal the more you think about it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Have it so that the land gives subtle 'benefits' to those who survive around it, but after a time some people just mysteriously up and "vanish" after a certain period of time. Could be a day, could be a week, maybe even a year, but everyone 'marked' by the land inevitably vanishes.

When I was younger I had this edgy setting in mind.
It's basically a hell or purgatory and none can die. Those with power to carry on live twisted by their long forgotten vices, those who gave up completely exist more like objects or food - still conscious yet mad and out of touch with their humanity. There is no animal or plant life - just twisted humans. Then a 'messiah' of sort appears and spreads the disease that makes the locals drop motionless and unresponsive - perhaps dead at last.

That sounds interesting user. If you wish, you can elaborate more on your thoughts for settings and stuff. It's not like this thread is going anywhere.

Also, bump.

Make the materials that make up the monuments vastly different from the surrounding area.

>The alien structure of these monuments is completely different from the various materials that composed the areas in which they are buried. In some cases, these monuments glow with strange lights and pulse with strange runes.