How realistic is your setting?

How realistic is your setting?

Exactly as much as it needs to be to stay familiar and understandable, and not a step more. How much depends on the genre, but I tend to run over the top, heroic games, so realism isn't a priority beyond the basic necessities.

Define 'realistic?'

on a scale from one to ten, there are talking animals.

After battles, injured players roll 2d20 + CON for saving throw against infection.

Our last session involved fighting a colony of sentient spiders piloting a combat exosuit and talking to us through a text to speech program with a tiny, tiny keyboard. Shortly after that, we went and tried to beat up a vampire to get him to pay child support.

We have passed the realm of realism a long, long time ago.

Shit almond milk is amazing

It's got a shit ton of alien and psychic stuff along with fantasy races, not very realistic

Internally consistant and things are practical within the setting but many of the rules are obscure, fantastical, pseudo scientific ect.

It's not particularly, and I never intended it to be.

It's consistent with its established internal rules and that's all it needs to be.

Realism is pretty low on my list of concerns when designing a setting.

This guy gets it.

The setting isn't realistic at all, but that isn't important so long as it's consistent and practical within the own rules and logic it dictates.

Then so is quality.

You sound like a boring person.

You sound like a hyperactive rule-of-cool obsessed fuckwit.

The idea is latch onto some existing hypothesis/theory and use that to justify any oddities one might find in the setting.

Otherwise, most of the setting is just what we live in but the battery tech is better.

Pretty realistic, over the top "rule of cool" shit is just a crutch for people who can't write

Cosmic Eggs spawned supergod overbeings that war for supremacy.

It's hyper realistic

This right here. This is how I write settings. Just, start with some basic principles of how things work, then extrapolate from there.

Calm down, nobody's going to take your boredom away from you.

"realism" is a retarded word to use when talking about fiction
Internal consistancy, scale, fantasticness are better words to properly articulate what you want to talk about

Imagine being this narrow minded

He's right in his sentiment but wrong in using the word realistic

let me guess. After being wounded in battle your players are out of commission for couple of months and some of them die from infection.

Realism can be very over the top sometimes, see 16th century Japan/Korea/China for example: Pirates, samurai with rocket launcher muskets, triple shot repeating crossbows, invasions, european characters are available, monks can use firearms, ironclad galleys whose dragon heads have cannon/smoke launcher in their mouths... So I go for "believable".

I start reading wikipedia and learn very realistic concepts, like cinnabar mining. Then I deviate from them until I end up with the concept of "sacrophysics".

So I can explain the pros and cons of real life european dual sword wielding; but my setting has a barbarian death-and-life goddess which is very much the brachiosaurus equivalent of Godzilla.

Is low magic, but still has magic, dwarves, elves, halflings, demons, undead.

So incredibly unrealistic.

I would very much like a story, user

I think some people miss the point here.

Realism is not by default, boring. High fantasy is not by default, a shallow crutch. It all comes down to the actual creator's talent as a world-builder and writer.

Whether its realistic or unrealistic doesn't have anything to do with quality, its more just about what genres and themes you prefer, if you have a preference.

its a 18th century slice of life simulator

the players think its something else

please take me through a session of what that's like

I dislike realism. 9 times out of 10 the author only cares about realism when it comes to a few niggly things. They'll gladly believe that everyone who owns slaves is a heartless bastard, that medieval lands barely had any order, huge monsters can survive in dungeons despite not having enough calories in there to support them- oh but I have to tell everyone how black powder weapons were around before plate armor! Did you know people died of infection? I'm going to say everyone dies of infection and scratches even though medieval people performed surgery. Look at how REALISTIC I am!

Mythic, fairy tale, or gonzo fantasy is way better then run of the mill dark and edgy realism. Alt-History is even worse.

My new setting, if I'm being honest, is maybe too realistic.
When I say "realistic", I mean that in order to replicate and improve upon an aesthetic, I decided to replicate the entire context from which it derived. So, rather than having wild steampunk gear bullshit with all kinds of nonsense, I've maybe gone a bit too far in replicating late 19th century America, Europe, Africa, and Asia. The main differences (besides different names) are mostly either a few amusing what-ifs (what if the Zulus won?) and adding in fantastical details like monsters or supernatural powers (cowboys and dragons!), and many of them derive from real world mythology anyway (what if royal bloodlines really were special?).
On the upside, reality is fucked up and fantastical enough as it is. The wild west is the closest historical period to how the whole "player characters" dynamic worked. On the downside, I've invented basically no cultures or concepts. Most of my work has been either to emulate or to justify elements taken from fantasy or action stories, such as making ammunition largely universal. I've taken some care to create updated or anachronistic elements, like a late 1800s revival of the Aztec Empire or Zulus as an international power, but aside from maybe the Dwarf-y redesign of the rising "German" power, I don't feel like I've done anything genuinely fantastical.

Also, in interest of moving the game along quicker, I've given up on tracking disease so I guess the Indians have a decent shot now.

My setting is about as realistic and sane as you could realistically expect 25 random Anons (overdiety let the last 25 kill gods each other and needed new ones) plucked from Veeky Forums and given godhood and a blank slate setting with 6 worlds to be.

That's fine as long as the game is combat focused, plus that seems harsher than things are in reality

Not very, but I'm fine with that.

Realism?
We regularly break the laws of reality to make the game more enjoyable and fun. The players tell me what they want to do, I look at their stats, decide that if they roll this then fine, and most of the time, it doesn't make much difference. So long as they keep it out of my story, everything is fine.

Realism imo if you do your research is easier to write well than non realism

Furthermore, just remembered:
I think I just borrowed most of wh40k, slapped fantasy on it and mixed it with some undertale, calling it a day.

Just seeing the letters, without necessarily reading and comprehending them, gave me cancer. Then the almonds activated and I actually read what you said, and that gave my cancer AIDS.

I like NPCs explaining the rules of reality to players and then later breaking those rules.

Come now. It's not actually my fault that the undertale is even there. My players enjoy it, I offer them enjoyment. The Warhammer bit is mine, but I just do not like Skubmar and can't be fucced to read up on old WH fantasy, so 40k reskin it is.

I don't consider it realistic yet I think typical Veeky Forums weeb or D&D fanboy would be all like
>REEE TOO REALISTIC IF I CAN'T MAKE MY GIMMICKY ANIMU GIRL OR NINJA PIRATE LUCHADOR THEN IT'S NO FUN ALLOWED

In other words, it's somewhere on the level of more classy fantasy than your typical kitchen sink shit, yet doesn't tryhard into historical realism territory. Like, LotR, Witcher, GoT, Conan or pseudohistorical dramas in vibe of Vikings.