media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
Has your party ever been wiped out by goblins?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/893255239435927552
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/1120200-new-horror-little-morpheus
theangrygm.com/manage-combat-like-a-dolphin/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I love goblins and kobolds but I've never seen them go full death god swarms myself.

You wot mate?

That's from the SRD text, to clarify. Also, permanent spells can generally still be dispelled. Compare Wall of Stone and Forbiddance.

I think the object -> creature transformation has to be into a creature of the same size, too, so that'd be one big spellbook.

>But you'll die to a dispel.
Technically, you'll cease to be a living creature. You wouldn't be dead, so it'd take a wish to bring you back, if anything.

Or as I like to put it:
>True Polymorph object into creature.
>Creature eventually has child.
>You can dispel the parent.
>Can you dispel the child?

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/893255239435927552

Apparently the revised ranger will be free.

>cast dispel on child
>half of DNA disappears
>horrible prolonged death by disgusting mutations

I hope it's on a book though, random pdfs from the internet do not seem like official content

i think if it was anything other then free there would be outrage

You know, I kinda feel that way about the EEPC when some of the spells don't make much sense.

I was expecting something with XGE along the lines of "Variant Ranger"

But it'll be an official document from Wizards, kinda like how Death House is also a separate (physical) pdf from the book but is also official.

True that, but it's good Wizards is still giving a free revised ranger as an act of good will.

We c/should be getting those as well, they've been testing ranger variants in the UAs.

What do people want to see changed in the final release?

I think it's too frontloaded as it is

where can I get some cool dice sets for a good price? looking to at least four or five sets for

If I wanted to require downtime training to be eligible to multiclass, what would be a good time to require to do It?

It's still training, but there's not really any direct thing gained after since it would still need you to put in the level into whatever class. Training is typically 250 days at 1gp each

80 days? 100? I don't know

Natural Explorer is strong as fuck, making the class too frontloaded. One level dip into Ranger and you get all that shit.

That's a troll OP.

Shield Master on a grappler?

Works fine. You can bonus action prone than use action to grapple.

Just be aware this means one of your hands is never really available.

Before you can get Multiattack, it's the easiest way to prone+grapple someone in the same turn and its a bonus action, so you can still use it once you get Multiattack. The biggest downside is that you can only grapple one mook at a time.

Cool, yeah, I realize it means taking folks one at a time, but the Shove and extra Protection sounds nice

And Rogue 2/Barb 1 is a comfy start? We get level 3 out of the gate. I kinda wanna go Zealot barb and cook folks in necrotic death energy

My players (Party of 5, level 6) are currently stranded and are unarmored/unarmed. I want to throw a couple of giants at them to get them to think laterally and be creative instead of just move closer + best attack/spell. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to set this up in such a way that it doesn't feel completely unfair?

Extra attack shouldn't be an archetype ability. Just give Beast Conclave the ability to give up an attack to allow their companion to make an attack as a reaction.

>Does anyone have any good ideas on how to set this up in such a way that it doesn't feel completely unfair?
Provide clear escape routes or non-weapon options. Mounted ballista, the chance to set traps, or make it clear that the giants (don't know what type) can be negotiated with instead of battled.

something with heavy advantage dark/light conditions for giant/creature. He can wipe them out if they go hand to hand with him but otherwise they can almost guaranteed evade.

What is the holy grail of D&D? It's AC, obviously. Think about it. If no one can hit you, then it's very hard for you to die.

It's impossible to get maximum defense though, by design. You'll always have a weak save.

I thought the holy grail of D&D was to have someone actually enjoy your company for once.

Is there any precedence to have someone sacrifice an *extra attack*? That's splitting an action in half, and I cannot think of anything that does that.

It's a pitch black night. Giants are carrying ... hooded lanterns? ... So that its super easy to see the giants, but it's hard for them to see anything unless they get the lantern on them. Players can work to keep the giants distracted, the light focused on something other than them, and get tactical.

Well the best saves in the game are DEX, CON, and WIS so with my personal Monk+Barbarian multiclass you'll have all the important saves as well as 30+ AC.

maybe some way to rig up a smoke/fog/mist or something to boost it further. Give them options to add to those strengths.

>Extra Attack shouldn't be an archetype ability.
Bladesingers and Valor Bards both get them as Archetype abilities why not Ranger?

I thought the holy grail of D&D was to have fun with your friends (new and old) in an awesome adventure and talk about it for years to come.

i'm with this guy

How do you keep combat interesting?

I get the whole concept of being descriptive and having the enemies acting realistically and being more freeform by making rulings on the fly when the players wanna try cool stuff, but I still find that a lot of combats end up as simply trading attack actions until the bad guys die. I'm not sure if it's because of mechanical simplicity (few combat options and we're still low level too), my players being uncreative, or my newness to GMing.

its not a Full Attack anywhere and at least Valors have to also cast a spell so you're stuck MAD'ing if you go that route.

You don't. After three hours I dumb down everything to "you hit/missed him."

>Is there any precedence to have someone sacrifice an *extra attack*? That's splitting an action in half, and I cannot think of anything that does that.
Pretty sure you can never do that. "Extra attack" just means you make 2 attack rolls (or 3) as your action.

You can't make 1 attack roll and then do something else, as that's 2 actions.

Probably some combination of all of the above. 5e has dramatically fewer options in combat than previous editions, especially at lower levels, and a player won't necessarily do some great, flashy move when he could kill the goblin just as easily by bashing it on the head.

Ashamed to admit the same thing here.

I start out descriptive and fast, and it fades fast as combat drags on.

make the environment more complicated, and the combat becomes more interesting. a room with pitfalls that are visible (or not). ranged attackers that are placed in a strategic position. enemies far too deadly, but crippled in a way to make it fair, blind giants etc.

Make sure you have things to interact with in your maps

But in the end, it's always going to devolve into "you hit, you mids, you do 12 damage, you take 14 damage" personally I think it's better to have enemies that are very glass cannon like, so fights are very lethal and also very quick

>with my personal Monk+Barbarian multiclass you'll have all the important saves as well as 30+ AC.
you don't know the rules for AC calculation friendolini

my general rule is to have enemies surrender / escape when it's obvious the players are going to win, rather than having the players grind down the remaining HP of a fight they basically can't lose.

the other key is to put as much scenery around them as possible and try to keep them aware it's there. stuff that can be thrown, ducked behind, set on fire, otherwise interacted with.

mostly it's just important to have enemies act as realistically as possible, having thoughts like "this is taking too long" and "i am going to die" and "what is nearby that i can use to my advantage."

it's hard whatever you do because rpgs are slow by nature. just do your best.

>You can't make 1 attack roll and then do something else

You can move in between each attack.

You're right, that was my first draft. My second relies on a manual of bodily health and a manual of quickness of action.

What's a good multiclass combo with warlock that isn't a sorcerer or paladin? I have Str 8 and Dex 16.

Whatever makes sense for your character

Feedback requested on how I might convert this NPC to D&D 5e:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/1120200-new-horror-little-morpheus

Reposted from the "that guy thread" for more visibility:

So I had one guy leave early for unrelated reasons and another guy leave in a huff before the end of the session, killing the mood. Am I a that guy DM? (Am new)

5e homebrew game:

>Have players heading through magic-fog forest that's full of undead every night.
>Encounter small hobbit-hole ripoff; a house built into the side of the hill
>They knock, door's unlocked and they're invited in.
>Pic related sitting behind a desk, magical items laid out on the table in front of them.
>cleric casts Detect Magic, immediately earraped by sensory overload of powerful magic.
>Party goes in anyhow
>spend the next hour asking "what more do you have"
>end up having them spend a chunk of their cash and trading small trinkets to get stuff made or purchased
>one guy has to leave early, not there for the aftermath
>sorcerer gets mad when the potion he drinks turn him into a chick, and threatens to the burn the place down if he doesn't get turned back immediately.
>player OOC getting pissy
>after a bit more haggling with other characters (very disorganized session), throw the guy another dose of the sex-shift potion
>was going to charge him an arm and a leg for it, but I wasn't going to have a player melt down over slapstick.
>party ends up clearing out the whole place despite trying to throw up warning signs—then get pissy when every single item is cursed (as I planned from the start)

Like I'm going to have my creepy fey give them powerful magic items at level 4 without some kinds of drawback. As I was writing out the item cards for them, one left in a huff before I got to the good part of his item.

Yes I would but you don't have the book I believe.

List of items:

>lightning-slinging bandoleer that reduces the number of barb rages per long rest
>+1 longbow that kills movement and defenses in melee range
>Dark Souls Ring of Sacrifice Ripoff that withers one hand and & gives vulnerability to damage from undead creatures
>Potion that "provides you with the oiled-up flexibility of athletes of old." Gives permanent +5 movement, vulnerability to fire damage, and oily skin
>Ring that lights up when undead are close—but forces undead with an INT less than 8 to attack the wearer.
>Shield of missile attraction—resistance to ranged damage but forces missiles aimed at a target within 10 feet to hit you instead
>mace that sacrifices health and exhaustion levels to become a +1/+2/+3 mace as you kill more people.
>3 bits of magic arrow that bypass undead fortitude saves, but only if they've used it once already during that encounter
>spell focus ring that lets you roll fire damage dice with advantage but does half the damage to you.

So am I a creative asshole, or is my party handling it badly? We're 4 sessions in and things are finally starting to pick up.

Also, how much to pay a remove curse service in 5e? Considering charging them even more for the removal, since I used prices in silver instead of gold for the fey enchanter.

What's your current character? Mine's an Archfey Warlock 5/Life Cleric 2

That's my point. He was saying that instead of making it an archetype specific extra attack, give all the archtypes extra attack, and then let them sacrifice an extra attack to have a pet attack as a reaction. Which as far as I know, would go against the general design of 5e - an extra attack trigger is just done off of making an attack action; you cannot spend an extra attack to do anything other than just repeat the attack. Splitting extra attack doesn't fit the design.

Someone posted this a few threads ago: theangrygm.com/manage-combat-like-a-dolphin/

I don't know how good it is, necessarily, I've never DM'd, but it does give some ideas. I would generally see solid points:

- Limit the amount of time players have to work with. If they are spending forever to do their action, combat is going to be fucking boring by default.

- Don't let it happen in a white room. They are in some sort of an environment when this happens; have the environment affect the combat in some way (and the players able to affect the environment). I'm not a big fan of critical failures, but I do advocate for things like "hey you accidentally punched a hole in an oil barrel, now there's flammable liquid leaking all over the place - and you're splashed in it" or some such. Basically, things that they can interact with / take advantage of / have to be careful of.

- Give secondary objectives, or things that they need to do while this is going on.

- Have enemies react realistically. Intelligent creatures probably won't fight to the absolute bitter end - they're going to get hurt and withdraw, or recoup, or try to figure something else out. I would be tempted to say have enemies come into combat with a goal / failure point. If the enemy wants to say, rob the party, when things go sour they are going to want to get the hell out of there. If you take out the leader, they will want to get the hell out of there.

- Emphasize ways around the combat

Half-orc Tempest Cleric 2/Storm Sorcerer X.

Not mechanically perfect, but kicks ass with them maxed lightning bolts.

They had to learn an important life lesson

abjuration wizrad level 1. playing through curse of strahd for the first time with some fellow noobie friends.

Game Master Forever 2
I think in about 4 months I'll be level 3.

I really like that mace concept. Exhaustion IS sort of a resource... I haven't wrapped my mind around it quite yet but it's got so much potential.

For the whole 'ways around combat'; if the enemies have a goal, can they be reasoned with / that goal met without the party having to murder them? Is the enemy willing to parlay?

Personally I do wish that there was more options that characters can take advantage of in combat - I believe the DMG has some optional things that you can use. Similarly I also wish that there was higher lethality - it does feel like a lot of the time its stat blocks mashing together.

If magic items are cheap, they're probably too good to be true.

Good life lesson, thanks.

A GOO warlock 1 bringing the brain pain in the Underdark.

Glad you like it!

Pic related as to exhaustion—basically when an effect gives you one or you don't eat&sleep through a long rest you go up a level.

When you do eat and sleep through a long rest you lose a level.

Depends how shady you had the merchant act. Regardless the sorcerer player overreacted.

Fucking fantastic chart, thanks buddy.

I agree, but I didn't want to tell him that.

His character is gonna end up chaotic evil at this rate, he keeps throwing out thaumaturgies to fuck with the 8-int goliath barbarian.

And yes, it's a tiefling sorc. Pretty fun character though, had a normal upbringing.

Gonna get to confront his fiery demonic ancestor if the campaign ever makes it that far.

And I'd like to think he was pretty shady.

"Oh, you don't pay with *money,* my dear friends" should have tipped them off.

This is prices AL uses. For those wondering, it's (spell level * spell level) * 10 + expensive material components, or a 10th of material component cost if it's not consumed.

Can you guys help balance these monsters for me? They are 3.5 converts, I will be dumping a few.

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I have been trying to implement all those suggestions best I can unfortunately. I've had a huge boner for OSR style play for a while after playing PF for years and hating it, but now it seems the reality of that style is much harder to pull off. I guess I need to step up my game if I wanna keep things interesting. Hopefully things get better as the group levels so both them and the monsters will get more complex.

Although a part of it too might just be that now that I'm GMing I'm seeing all the mechanics behind the scenes so is seems less interesting on my end while the players just see the cool effects.

Yeah, I'm also wishing that there were more options and things were more lethal. I've been into RPGs for a long time but it's only now that I'm GMing and I think I'm discovering my style preferences now that I'm finally playing rather than just reading.

Check the variant rules in the DMG. Honestly I don't really know them all, but there's at least some stuff that emphasizes a bit more tactical combat - even just basic things like flanking (or letting people disarm.etc.etc).

I think there's some 'grittier' combat rules with injury charts, but I don't know how well done they are or how well they are received.

Why the fuck is spare the dying necromancy

Hi I made a Kender Rogue, can I play with you guys?

All the resurrection-type spells are necromancy.

Try to keep the number of combatants down as well. Sure, it might be cool to rally a few guardsmen to help the party, but all it does is add bloat to any encounter. Lower enemy numbers is also helpful, but if you need to have a lot of them, look up the mob rules in the DMG for possible automatic hits.

Sorry phb races only

well it's not an evocation cast so it must be. It's not acting on a healthy living person, it's manipulating the body and shit outside of the life.

But I have good character, he don't do nothing wrong.

If you have a good character it wouldn't rely on being a certain race.

Going to be DMing for the first time in a week, it's the first time any of us have played D&D. Do most DMs do voices and accents? I've been trying to practice some voices but it's just coming out as my normal voice. I'm worried it's going to be shit if I don't inject a bit of showmanship and acting, but I'm terrible at both.

>Is there any precedence to have someone sacrifice an *extra attack*?
All over the fucking place? This would be Commander's Strike, but there's a ton of examples of giving up one attack to do something, like shoving, grappling, disarm, a few of the new skill feats UA stuff.

>phb races only

Who does this?

Every sane DM

if you're good at it, go with it. If you're not good at it, skiiiip. You can change up your speech patterns fine though, obviously you can talk haughty or slangy depending on the character and it'll come out fine without full on accents. Story time not radio show.

Surely you see the difference between rangers, bards, and wizards.

Because it involves manipulating the forces of life and death, you fucking autist.

People who don't have access to books that add more races

Dm's that don't want to include certain races in a setting

I won't destroy your social encounters, pls allow the Kender, they fit thematically well.

Just need to find your niche and work with it. I'm only decent at big dumb gruff monsters. Friend of mine only knows how to be a 1940's swindler.

i assume this is in person right?
people will be impressed if you even have a character with traits that dont spill over into the next character trust me
voices are a step up not many people can pull off more then a few
and then beyond that its physical body acting i dont think unless you are a actual practiced actor it might turn out bad
basically if you are good at it go for it if not its fine to just develop character traits through basic speaking
as long as you dont have critical roll retards who expect professional voice acting from you you are good my dude

Voices can be as simple as you just changing the tone of your voice, altering speech patterns, and things like that

All my kobolds and goblins that do know common talk in very high pitched, broken common unless they're actually intelligent like spellcasters, for example

Yes, two of those are full casters while the other is half. I was making the rebuttal that there are archetypes that do in fact have Extra Attack as a feature and therefore it is not weird to have it for the Ranger Archetypes.

>allowing Dragonborn while restricting Lizardmen

This is just stupid.

The other way around is the only acceptable solution.

Agreed

Good DMs.
This. I am so sick of these fucking niggers who think they are allowed to play whatever they want in my campaigns. No, your shitty tengu is not allowed. No, your ratfolk is not allowed. No, your catfolk is not allowed. No, your tiefling is not allowed: that is a literal fucking demonspawn. Why the fuck would that be allowed in any campaign, let alone this one? No, you cannot play a drow. You will be shot on sight on the surface. Half these fuckers don't even read Drizz't so they have no excuse for wanting to play a drow, besides "lol it's different." Fuck different. Here's the thing: your race is the most boring fucking part of your character. Unless you do something interesting with it (which 90% of these stupid cunts don't do), then you are just weighing down the game. When you have a thri-keen, some homebrew furry shit, a tiefling and some fuck who wants to play kender, you know what? Fuck this. I made a setting that actually feels somewhat like the real world because it doesn't have 90 different races running around like it's motherfucking Mos Eisley cantina. It's not my fault that YOU are a bad roleplayer who can't be satisfied playing something out of the core book. Create an interesting character, and you can play as a human for the rest of your RPG career. I had groups that were entirely human yet they had personalities that seemed like real people. But no, no one wants to lump in 30 homebrew races plus 60 official wizards of the coast crapshit races they pump out like chocolate because they know it will keep people entertained and requires zero effort on their part. No DM worth shit wants to spend hours and hours putting that in his world. Play. A. Fucking. Human. You need to EARN the privilege of playing another race, by proving you can competently play a normal character first. You don't get the big boy toys until your prove you can be responsible for them.