en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syphilis
curtisweyant.com/blog/epic-pooh-pooh/
youtube.com/watch?v=XAAp_luluo0
youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

She doesn't have one because selmy rules for her
She also seems to be shaping up into a terrible ruler
#teamyounggriff all the way

She would interfere with him when there is someone pulling her heartstrings.

YAAAASSSSS QUEEEEEN SLAAAAY doesn't need one. She will usher in an era of such progressiveness that everyone will donate whatever is needed. Take that, patriarchy!

I think what people miss about that GRRM quote is that it isn't just sperging about nonsense that totally misses the point of the story. It's worse. GRRM's critique of Tolkien is "Why did you write a story informed by your beliefs when you should have wrote a story blatantly shilling my beliefs instead?"

When you compare their life experiences it gets even worse.

To tax as much plot armour as she can possibly get.

Why are all the targs so shit?
The only reason they held onto their rule so long is because loldragons

Egg is pretty neat, Aemon is alright, along with sorcerer targ. Everyone else is kinda just there.

A tax on the mention of feces or sex. She'll be richer than Croesus in like 6 weeks tops.

Egg is only good because of Dunk. He would have been a little shit otherwise.

you're projecting so hard into a quote that wasn't ever even meant as a critique, but as a simple distinction between their works. It just shows you can't get over your hateboner for the fatman and are willing to believe anything if it supports your point of view.

Twentieth Century Motor Company

Daily reminder-
Tax humans the least
Tax all non-humans that live too long whom amass shitloads of wealth, status and social prestige that interferes with your government
Tax the wizard for his magical waste produced
Be lenient with religion, but make the prime cities deity a deity of commerce, rulershiper and also tax
By being lenient with religion, you can let less than savoury churches into your city, but make them taxable by the tax-god of taxes if they want their faith to gain traction
Use the wizard to add shit to the city, country and kingdom only the wizard can put in using taxes
Use the rest on public projects and working to get rid of those awful shithole districts that are always shitholes for some reason, find ways to raise the worth of job positions that earn so little you wonder why they even are made to pay tax in the first place
Allow choice extraplanar and outsiders citizenship, as long as you tax them for being as such
Build and start a hydra farm to support a Dragon who earns revenue via enforcing your taxes, kingship and rulership, Dragons can NEVER resist the taste of fucking Hydra- And you get more longevity races to tax the fuck out of as the Dragon bones everything in your city later on
Build and support a complex dungeons for the dragons to inhibit, leaking info to the thieves guild for idiots to raid the dragons but in truth it's a death trap, so when they die, the sewer workers sort the corpses out, and then you sell them to 2e Anatomist Necromancers looking to further their craft who you hire and hide in the Clerichood to further medicine techniques to keep yourself healthy and by extension, your people.

Use Dragons and their lineage to capture political heads and leaders of other countries in false flags that look like isolated incidents and easily annex competition, and absorv countries into a greater mass.

Allow Kobolds citizenship, use them to forge strong spy networks and mining enterprise.

Now that the hardworking bolds' are getting you sweet gems, and rare metals, you can let up on the Dwarves fucking trade prices and don't have to rely on them anymore, so when the Bolds make it to the Underdark, you send the Dragons in to displace Drow and Underdark denizen communities forcing them on the Dwarves so they get fucked, and the best part is that this cannot be traced back to you because Bold's always cover up their mining-work when they finish, making the attacks look like the Average murderdrow attacks.

Then I legalize prostitution, using my already exotic selection of dragon-breeds and extraplanar creatures to set up a gambling house/house of ill repute, and use the Dragons I set on the Drow to add them to the roster of whores on the list, people flocking from all around for sweet-colonized Obsidian pussy, eventually granting me a neat supply of Half-drow who I can force on the Underdark to further the expanse of my kindgdom, eventually setting up a network of tunnels that lead to my conquered by proxy vassalled kingdoms, securing a Trade routes using the Underdark.

Security of Trade routes will be maintained by Dragons and their kin, but to prevent uprisi gthrough Draconic Pride, I keep them fattened on an additional supply of Dugneonbred monsters maintained via the Dungeonmasters of the underground complexes that support that Dragons and their hoards as well as aspiring spellcaster of various professions, eventually, through the prostituted Drow, I get a population ready and suitored to navigating the Underdark routes and tunnels mined out, and eventually move on to aquiring Deep Dragons in the mix, granting me a more unified cultural mix.

A 100% tax of all the grain in Highgarden. Dragons as tax collectors. Grain spent as fuel for the biggest pyre of the week.

Based Florent poster.

You would starve the entire continent
Well besides the vale

Around Florents
Evil Portents

Fucking seriously, HBO?
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1501866134997.webm

Sullies on the wire!

>when you spend so much money on the CGI dragon that you can't spare any for a fan to make Danerys' hair move

Give me all your shit so i can give it to anyone who emotionally compromises me. This literally happens in the books

How can people survive a winter of fucking years except for the far south anyway

They store up a shit ton of food and wait it out in lord halls
That's the only plausible explanation i can think of

>posting about tax policy every day
What a sorry life you live.

Shit fucking bait thread, not even Veeky Forums related.

>>

>When you compare their life experiences it gets even worse.

I would like to know more

Reminder that it's not plot armor if you claim that the character is just that smart.

Same as this guy, explain user.
What you talking about?
Is it that Tolkein was in the war and a based motherfucker while GRR has grown old in a time of peace and gained a number of chins doing so?

Isn't the whole point of Daney's character the fact that she doesn't have one. The only real experience she has had with leadership is through the Dothraki, who's society isn't even close to the complexity of a place like Westeros. The best she could hope for is dying on the throne of old age using the fear of her conquest to keep the lords under her in check while the land around her falls apart due to her lack of any real economic or political skill.

Show littlefinger is fucking dumb
Book littlefinger has some semi-balance of a plan going on

She would most likely get assainated a few months in

Not just Tolkein's wartime experience but his tenure as a professor of linguistics at an Oxford College as well.

His work was very important in reviving interest in Anglo-Saxon literature which wasn't seen as historiographically significant before Tolkien and he was one of the earlier translators of surviving Anglo-Saxon texts.

>Allow Kobolds citizenship

Give Kobalds rights? Preposterous! You might as well allow the Drow to live among us!

I've always liked the idea of tax farmers. Just cash in up front, let the speculators try and get their money from the riffraff.

did you just want an excuse to post that?

They also have greenhouses.

>I think that the main characters of the series are Littlefinger and Varys, and they're playing the game of thrones against each other, because their philosophies are opposed, and everybody is, like, a piece they use
Things showfags say

No more dragons, they're all idiots.

She won't have one, bitch is going to end up like Alexander the great, dies for fucking her gay lover or her brother that has wildling sifilis. The whore has big lizards that spit fire, that is all her ability. Also she has a moral compas not fit for a ruler, hang her before she destroys food and infrastructure just to die from sifilis and reverse everything back before she invaded.

>a quote that wasn't ever even meant as a critique, but as a simple distinction between their works

Haha, no, it's very clearly a criticism.

>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy?

>The war that Tolkien wrote about was a war for the fate of civilization and the future of humanity, and that’s become the template. I’m not sure that it’s a good template, though. The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark lords and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes. But the vast majority of wars throughout history are not like that.

In both instances he says, essentially, that there is something wrong in Tolkien's works that he has corrected. Something he has quibbles with. Something that is not "a good template."

>sifilis

Are you actually retarded?

ASOIAF is, and always was, Veeky Forums.

Shut up! This is my time!

The only critic of Tolkien that was right is Moorcock. Martin stole a lot of his shit from Moorcock, only thing he did was add more in depth feudal system and detailed food better, fuck that guy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syphilis
Your language is the one retarded.
Hurr durr anglo-saxon change language but not grammar, hurr durr we so special, hurr durr.

Frankly, I feel the problem is more due to people ripping off Tolkien badly, rather than problems intrinsic to Tolkien himself.

Aegon was fucking shit
>i know
>lets conqur an entire continent full of people with vastly different cultures who all hate each other
>what can go wrong :^)

>current year
>hurr durr
Stop anytime

But that'd be criticism of something subjective. Martins simply favors realistic storytelling over tolkiens fairytale one and regrets that the latter one has become the norm

What I want to know is, how the fuck does Martin expect a feudal nation that spans an entire continent to even remotely function, on a logistical level? In a world where winters can last years.

Well, what exactly did go wrong? It's not like the War of the Five Kings is any worse than what happened in the time of independent seven kingdoms.

Really?
I found Moorcock's infamous essay to be full of subjective rambling, taking offense at values he didn't hold being promoted and bitterness.

hurr durr anglo-saxon is a dum dum
Because current year means I can't be retarded, to hell with you and your weird cutsoms.

He was rambling because people were just copying Tolkein, he acknowleges him as the father of fantasy and that it is impossible not to steal from him but the same damn thing over and over again gets retarded, that is what he wanted to say. Well he had unique shit and they promoted Tolkein clones because they knew market would want them 100%.

The region controlled by the Iron Throne is too massive for it to handle on any realistic level, and held together by what was initially terror of their dragons followed by simple inertia after the dragons died out. Robert's Rebellion proved how tenuous a single monarch's grasp over an entire continent can be, and after exposing the Targaryen Dynasty as a paper tiger he then proceeded to pretend that everything was actually fine.

Balon's rebellion failed largely because everyone on the mainlands fucking hates the Ironborn, and were regarded as a common enemy.

What's funny is the show has slipped into a lot of the Tolkien-esque tropes Martin plays with and subverts.

Because the tropes work with the normies. I'm okay with the dumbed down story, but some stuff could be more realistic. Let's say the way people respond to stupid plans that are logical. How people can teleport, how it takes 1 day for information to cross the neck, how women with fancy noble swords and a hore dressed as a boy walk the countryside with no one noticing, and there is more shit I won't add to the list. I don't care it has become plants vs zombies, what I do mind is how unrealistic it has become.

You're acting like the books won't do the same. The transition to a high fantasy story has been well-foreshadowed.

If all popluation goes inside the castles it explains why castles are o fucking huge,

^That.
Most of Castles shown in the sow other than I don't know Moat are too big to be hed by a small force, and that is a point of a castle. You can man it with 300-400 people and it can fend off 5k-6k with ease.

> The Tolkien model led generations of fantasy writers to produce these endless series of dark lords and their evil minions who are all very ugly and wear black clothes. But the vast majority of wars throughout history are not like that.

I would argue that even modern wars are. Members of ISIS are ugly and wear mostly black.

Because they were created by CIA operatives who are Tolkien fans.

Nah, it's just how the Middle East is. The Middle East has always been a toilet on fire, and it'd remain a toilet on fire until the end of time. It's basically where real-life orcs and the hordes of darkness come from.

Moorcock is a moron jealous professionally of another man's success.

curtisweyant.com/blog/epic-pooh-pooh/

I don't think the criticism itself is stupid, I just don't think GRRM realizes that there's a deliberate element of myth and legend to Lord of the Rings. Of course Aragon is a flawless king, because that's the way these sort of legends work, and LotR is a synthetic legend.

He's right to complain that other fantasy authors have mindlessly aped this without - apparently - understanding what sort of thing they're imitating.

>spell word wrong
>hurr it's the language's fault!

Please continue.

I feel like both Moorcock and Martin completely misunderstand Tolkien.

Moorcock's unfocused, incoherent essay on Tolkien is a wonder of butthurt, mostly just him whining about Tolkien's values being wrong. Martin on the other hand simply doesn't comprehend that you can have a good fantasy story that is more mythological in nature, where everything isn't as focused on being grim and gritty.

They do.

Can't speak for Moorcock, but as for Martin?

Yeah.

youtube.com/watch?v=XAAp_luluo0

(I posted this somewhere else, but I...well, I rather like it. hopefully you guys will too, even though you lot have probably already seen it)

Yeah, that's a completely inaccurate portayal of GRRM.

Would this be better
youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

Horseshit. Games based on ASOIAF are Veeky Forums. ASOIAF itself is either Veeky Forums or /tv/ depending on whether you're a patrician or a plebeian.

Show me how the books or TV show have anything to do with the phrase 'traditional games' you nincompoop.

To be fair, English has adopted words from so many languages, has so many rules and exceptions to them, that it would almost be fair to consider it a creole language, and so mispelling words isn't surprising.

>ASOIAF
>Veeky Forums
Outed yourself as a redditor. Veeky Forums doesn't like ASOIAF, they don't like fantasy, shit, they don't even like books. The only thing they do is measure dicks about who read this obscure roman writer, in the original.

Same dude as Thanks for having my back,m8

It kinda is.

>everybody listen to meeeee while I rage about rape being underrepresented in fiction because it's my fetish!

I've honestly started calling the fourth book "A Feast of Pubes"

Because man oh man, does this git seem to like his pubic hair, and depictions thereof

Do it again Kingslayer!

Reminder that dany will magically swoop in on her dragons snd save jon snow and friends from the white walkers and then she has sex with jon snow on a boat

Also ut would have been great if jamie killed drogon

The middle east is less Tolkien and more Mad Max LARP

And GRRM writes about wars where absolutely everyone is the worst kind of edgy cunt imaginable when they weren't like that either.

Well I mean, he was, or is, a big ol' anti-war peacenik guy, so I mean, anyone who willingly serves in the military is a murderous psychopath who likes to cut up cunts and rape children.

...though, for a dude who is against that, he seems to wallow in it quite a bit.

Idk, I've always disliked the guy both on a personal and literary level. I actually read the first 4 of his books just so that my criticisms would, y'know, hold some water. His writing has always struck me as GM-y or DM-y: he introduces characters, some of which are kind of interesting or neat, and then when he finds that he's stumped on how to use them, they either fade into the background, are killed offscreen, or both. (I remember this being the case for one of the Gold Cloaks, some dude with an iron hand who kind of just...went out, got into a skirmish and got killed).

Also, he has threatened to smash Westeros to bits with the big ass comet that is never portrayed in the show, but was in the books. I believe he said that "If he was really forced he would have it (the comet) hit the world"

Like, if that isn't "Rocks Fall; Everyone Dies", then I don't know what is.

The comet thing was probably a joke for or a warning of what would happen if he needed to end the series before he died

The stroy is fairly anti-war,but the way he portrays soldiers is really shitty

At least he also portrays peasents just as shitty as nobles(example,riot of kingslanding)

>The stroy is fairly anti-war,but the way he portrays soldiers is really shitty
>At least he also portrays peasents just as shitty as nobles(example,riot of kingslanding)

You know, I was wondering about that. Is it because the rather cliche, though often needed "Time of Heroes" part of his setting is over, and the time when the books are set is when the world needs heroes again?

I was thinking of this when I was making my own DnD setting: was going to have it kind of crappy and messed up, with a lot of bad guys, but not because everything is shit, but because now it's the time for the PCs to get up and fix shit, either partially or fully.

Do you think he had, or has, something similar in mind?

That's one of the major themes
Old shit is coming back
King of the north
Magic
Iron kings
White walkers
Wargs
Dragons
Heroes are most likely making a comeback

This. When you're writing a heroic epic, it's fine to hand wave some of the baggage that would otherwise make the setting more realistic. If GRRM wants to write something grittier and less romantic than Tolkien, that's fine, but he's not "improving" on fantasy, he's writing a different kind altogether. (You can like one style or the other better - the point is that they're separate branches.)

The way he portrays medieval soldiers is fairly accurate. Knights were mostly hooligans sponsored by kings and nobles to enforce their will.

What, did you think they were noblebright shining paragons of nobility performing heroic acts of derring do? That's all romanticized nonsense from literature and stage drama starting in the 17th century.

>starting in the 17th century.
It was already ingrained and popular in the 14th and 13th centuries senpai.

go to bed, Martin

Moorcock to me always sounded like the sort of 'liberal elite' type, especially because most of his criticism of Tolkien seems to basically be wrapped up in how much he disagrees with Tolkien for being Christian, socially conservative, supposedly championing the poor and middle class, and for being anti-urban/not a fan of industrialization. The dude has a very snobby attitude.

No but i would expect some just doing their job and not all of them beeping complete sociopaths who can't help but be dicks to everyone.

There's a middle ground between having knights be shining paladins and having them be retarded edgelords for no reason.

Certainly there are some knights who just might be rude to people but not outright sociopaths?

Martin actually wrote a story about some super soldier getting killed by his superiors to get out of being drafted for Vietnam. It's pretty cheesy and shlocky but it worked.

That's fine and all, but, sooner or later people like Ramsay Bolton or Walder Frey are going to get lynched, because they're not just hated by the foreigners they may or may not be fucking over, they're also hated by their immediate neighbors, their vassals, and the people that cook their food.

Martins' characters go way beyond regular, banal, but still mostly tolerable evil and into the realm of dog-fucking insanity so much of the time.

While I liked GRRM's books what I really don't like is:

-How unless the future book really deviates from the show and has Jon stay dead, he's showing worse than a betrayal of the promise and lauding of 'no plot armor' 'no deus ex machina'. Rather, he intentionally cultivated a false sense of that in order to make it seem like Jon or Daenerys were in danger when he seems to have intended for these worst fairy-tale pulp fantasy protagonists to survive and thrive.

-The criticism of Tolkien when GRRM is more interested in courtly intrigue than true bureaucratic affairs of ruling. It's not as if we get a solid sense of tax policy or economic development in his setting. I'd need to re-read the big old book of World of Westeros but I swear there was very much a feeling of "If the Targareyen ruler is good, then the kingdom is good".

And his complaint about a template is personal taste. It'd be no better if/when GRRM's template becomes the rule. Because as backstabbing and cruel as courtly intrigue was war and politics was not always like Game of Thrones.

>he's showing worse than a betrayal of the promise and lauding of 'no plot armor' 'no deus ex machina'.
Oh come on, he never had this. Try to explain Arya Stark's continued survival without plot armor/deus ex machina escapes.

GRRM just substitutes his own, openly machiavellian but without the veneer of charm values instead of the more classic heroic values, and goes out of his way to save the people with those, and to go out of his way to make sure anyone conventionally noble and heroic always dies. I mean for fuck's sake, he telegraphs Robb's death from like a million pages away by narrating everything that happens around him out of Catelyn's point of view, unlike the rest of the Stark brood.

Regardless, this is a fucking gaming board, and ASOIAF is a series of novels, not a series of games.

There is literally no reason for this cancer to be on this board.

Why do people like you who are new to Veeky Forums always think you control the board?