MTG modern general

#FreeBBE! edition.
>playin
>hatin
>brewing

thread q

>what card so you think should be unbanned and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/ModernMagic/comments/6rxo8w/28_august_br_announcementwith_polls/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/monowhite-good-stuff-1/
mtgtop8.com/event?e=16208&d=300064&f=MO
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think Stoneforge Mystic could reasonably come off the list. Between hand disruption to discard whatever SFM tutors, tons of removal options to make sure SFM doesn't get to activate, and everyone packing some amount if artifact removal in the sideboard, I think it would be a powerful, but certainly answerable card.

>dies to removal

Could we say the same for the artifact lands? we could ban ravager.

Yes, removal is a reasonable answer to a threat. What of it? I'm not saying SFM is objectively bad because it does to almost every removal in the format, but that there are a plethora of tools to deal with it.

Probably not as the synergies in Affinity with artifact lands would clearly be too powerful for the format to deal with in my opinion.

was RG elves with BBE ever a thing?

I really want Dig Through Time to be unbanned. DTT wasn't banned for anything it did. It was banned because of what Treasure Cruise did. It was banned out of fear of what it could potentially do, which I think is a questionable justification for banning. I also want Blazing Shoal to be unbanned just to see what Infect would look like.

Not to my knowledge, but Jund Elves could be a thing with BBE and Shaman of the Pack. I might even brew that deck for the kitchen table or something.

I heard about somthing with BBE+blightning being a thing when alara first came around

regardless it got a EM reprint so it must be worth its salt somwhere

Why in the fuck would you care about BBE's creature type? It's just a good card it doesn't need janky ass stupid tribal synergies that shit up your deck with bad tribal cards.

What? Dude, its a great card that just happens to be an elf. I would run it in a kitchen table Elves deck because it's a good card first and foremost.

>playin
storm
>hatin
planeswalkers
>brewing
I only net deck, senpai

>what card do you think should be unbanned and why?
bloodbraind elf. If retards can make claims that JTMS is fine to be unbanned because he costs a whole 4 mana, then bloodbraid elf, costing 4 CMC should be off the list looong time ago.

When is a good time to start buying in?

Yesterday

Never

As a current infect player, still dead. Infect can't continue to be a pure agro only deck. Anyone who is still on infect only wins due to skill and tight plays and generally being able to grind out.

Right now, while everyone is focused so much on Standard. If you wait a month or two, eyes will turn back to Modern and prices will go up again. Always buy cards during peak Standard season.

What i mean is that with the bans/unbannings comming up is it better to start buying parts now/ right after/ or wait a while. Because if i just buy the lands then i could use them no matter the bans.

This is the only fair and healthy card that can and should be unbanned

Well what deck is it that youd like to play? Id advise against Deaths Shadow, Affinity, and Eldrazi Tron if you are worried about bannings. Everything else is fine.

I thought that bant eldrazi looked fun but i was worried about temple getting a ban as well as wondering about hierarchs going down in price.

Temple probably isn't getting a ban. Pronably. Hierarchs aren't going down any time soon and are used in many decks; go ahead and pull the trigger.

Its probably Chalice getting the ban if anything. Or god willing the Tron lands. Probably Shadow gets hit, probably Opal gets banned. All within the realm of possibility. Memers are saying Valakut might go back on the list but thats just salty midrange and Cucktrol players.

Awesome thanks man.

Opal is never getting banned stop saying it. Affinity has been a deck for a long time and won't be banned because it's good in this current meta.

>Pod has been a deck for a long time
>Twin has been a deck for a long time

To be fair any deck can beat affinity if they want.

i mean, craw wurm.dek could beat affinity if they main deck naturalizes and shatterstorms.

There has to be a deck that literally can't beat Affinity.

noo artifact lands are crazy busted and not only for affinity
has to
>have no interaction by turn 4/5
>not be able to kill by turn 4/5
i can't think of one

I hope it doesnt get banned because the lasr thing this format needs is Eldrazi Tron losing yet another bad matchup

i've been building affinity for a few months, just need to get the ravagers and opals
waiting until after the B&R update, very nervous about my first modern deck getting wrecked

Not like burn needs any more toys but why was this specifically banned?

Don't worry, Affinity won't be getting hit any time soon.

grove of the burnwillows + punishing fire = fuck creature match ups, forever.

there's talk of wotc banning mox opal to hurt KCI and lantern control

>have several of the same basic land or same creature/artifact
>opponent has to target the foil one

Both are un tiered decks that do nothing to the format. If affinity dies, tron will just destroy everything.

if affinity is the price to finally kill the tron menace, I'm willing to pay it.

I play memerange lol

Yes, because paying 3 mana and giving your opponent a life to deal 2 damage to a creature would be broken. And this combo only works if you find the grove.

I wouldn't touch Punishing Fire with a 20 foot pole in this meta. Any red removal spell that doesn't do at least 3 damage is absolute trash even if you can recur it, and most of the time 3 isn't enough.

>kill Affinity so eTron can be 15% of the meta, and then eat a ban itself

What a convoluted scheme. The better idea is to hope Wizards prints another card to help the deck out, something nice and colorless, same way the did with Dredge until it was pushed over the edge.

>#FreeBBE! edition.
oh god fuck that card are you retarded man?

>>playin
Deadguy

>>hatin
other people

>>brewing
Deadguy

>Deadguy with no SFM

What even is the point? Why am I even alive?

>in this meta
punishing fire means the meta could never shift to anything else because any deck with smaller creatures just gets fucking shit on by punishing fire.

everyone would just port punishing jund to modern and the meta game would remain "big fat fucking bullshit you can't burn out "and "combo that doesn't rely on small creatures" for the rest of time

you cast sram's expertise and drop a sword or a wasteland strangler or something off it. it feels mad dece.

>creatures the tappening.

Should have been mono-red

All the cascade cards were multicolored. Alara block was about jamming as many unnecessary colors as you could onto a card and as long as one of those colors had the intended effect it didn't violate the pie (other than that Bant enchantment that gives extra combat steps).

I fucking hate this phrase. Always used by smug blue control autists who are like a decade to late to the party.

>implying i play control
>implying wizards doesnt push creatures almost as much as they push planeswalkers

Also i play burn and if an opponent wants to pay 3 mana to remove a guide or eidolon than mre power to them.

Just be happy and know that he gets a free loss against any Tron deck.

>implying control decks create complex board states that encourage interactivity
>implying playing control is anything other than hitting removal over and over and swinging at a player with 0 threats
>implying winning with a control deck isn't like beating up a wheelchair bound paraplegic
>implying playing control takes more skill than any other deck type
yfw

counterspell, boardwipe, gideon isn't a hard recipe to follow.

Fellow burnbro

>burnboys itt
truly /ourdeck/

I've been wondering this for a while.
How did it take Death's Shadow so long to emerge? It's not like it suddenly got a huge boost from a recent set, all the pieces were always there. Battle Rage is the only new card I can think of that is ran in most lists, and maybe a Lili Last Hope in the sideboard. Swiftspear helped initially when it was balls to the wall aggro, but fell out of favor relatively fast.

So what gives? Why did it take so long to break out?

Pic related invalidates Tarmo and other traditional small beatdown creatures, which buffs Eldrazi and delve creatures, which pushes Junk/Junk further out of the meta. Death's Shadow is their replacement.

The probe ban killed the old combo deck (which wasn't good), so people tried the next best thing, which was jamming it into Jund.
Jund, after all, has a reputation for losing life with Fetch into Shock into Thoughtseize, followed by a possible T2 bob.
Once that was proven to work, folks just maximized efficiency. DS and K command work so well together, the next natural step is to increase K command castings, which Snappy does well. Enter Grixis DS.

It could have come sooner, don't get me wrong. It's just that no one was innovating with Jund because it was already good. Kill off the old DS combo however, and those players start looking to innovate.

The decks always good. I play it pretty much exclusively despite having Titanshift and access to play Abzan/Jund. Despite it doing well I just am not enjoying Moderns meta atm. Way too high variance, feels just too coinflippy and Chalice is just really sigh inducing, its not that its game ending cause you can win through it, its just a groan test along with Thought Knot Seer. I like the Affinity Matchup, I like fighting CoCo decks and such, the decks I find super boring and obnoxious to play against are Eldrazi Tron, Grixis Shadow and Titanshift which are nearly everywhere now so its just taxing to play. Its not even bad matchups because Titanshifts a good one, its just general annoyance at having to play them over and over.

Btw i am self aware that many people hate playing against Burn so its probably a two way street

Eh fuck em, as a storm player where they go low with creatures and lands we go high with spells. Target them mercilessly

Is Bant the only possible 3 color Eldrazi deck? I was thinking if adding green to B/W Eldrazi for Stirrings, Decay, and sideboard stuff would be worth it. I remember seeing a video of Mardu Eldrazi that seemed to work without color problems.

Junk seems like it would play well. I like mardu but ancient stirrings is too good to pass up in eldrazi.

DTT is a cheaper and stronger fact or fiction. While fact or fictions power level has decreased, if it costed UU, it would be beastly again, yet DTT would still be better. It wasn't banned because Treasure Cruise was banned, it was banned because it's just as powerful.

Never, if you just play casual just print your deck. If you play to win tournaments play burn its cheapest tier1 deck.

What if I want to go to FNM and have fun?

What do that have to do with not spending much money?

Whenever I think that Veeky Forums is the worst at Modern, rebbit steps in

reddit.com/r/ModernMagic/comments/6rxo8w/28_august_br_announcementwith_polls/

Poorfag here. How does this look?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/monowhite-good-stuff-1/

Rename the deck to "monowhite stuff"

I think Tappout's listed deck price is usually high, but you can do way better for 187 assuming you don't own any of those yet

I want to go back to mono black devotion but I want to splash another color

I'm thinking about Red just for the hilarious blood moon match up that has been plaguing me as abzan. But the only red cards I can think of as being relevant would be Dreadbore, K Command, and maybe Mogis?

What would you recommend?

Kommand and some light burn maybe?

Oh, I could totally play Molten Rain

Here is some spicy tech you probably won't be able to fit

Haven't played modern since 2011. Can anybody give me a quick rundown. I haven't played in a while

The midrange decks bow to the Tron. Affinity is the true enemy to the Tron. Death's shadow is merely a pawn to drive the Trons bad matchups away from the Tron.

Oh for fuck's sake I had a massive wall of text typed and piece of shit mobile Veeky Forums app lost it. I'll summarize I guess.

Budget decks 99% of the time blow. Most of the time if the cards are that cheap it's for a reason, and if none of the cards go into real decks it's just a waste of money.

Around 200 or less your best options are 8-Whack and Monogreen Stompy. Stompy is cheaper but 8-Whack has slightly higher overlap value from the set of Guides. UR Storm without fetches most likely fits here, especially because you'd shave Blood Moon from the side due to basic islands being a bit harder to come by. Note that this is overlapping with the other option.

The last option is picking an established deck that you can reasonably make some budget cuts to and upgrade over time, things like Birds or Avacyn's Pilgrim over Noble, cutting Cavern, etc. Decks that you could do this with from the top of my head would be things like monored burn, living end, BW Eldrazi, Humans, UW Spirits, BW Tokens, Little Kid, and probably quite a few more. Make sure you do your homework for what it will take to do the full upgrade, and DO NOT take this approach if you can't or don't want to put in more money over time, or you'll end up in the same basically-wasted money trap as a "budget" list. Also, make sure you check with someone who has enough experience in the format to make sure your initial list is reasonable - Living End sans Fulminators is something you can enjoy for a few months while you save up, Affinity without Opals is not.

Finally, try to play something you enjoy. Having to go with a budget deck likely means you'll only own one deck for some time, so you don't want to get sick of it. Proxy it up with some friends, play it on Cockatrice/Xmage or something before you buy cards.

Good against Tron (Wurmcoil, Newlamog), but what else??

...creatures?

That's a pretty steep casting cost though. I'd play a lot of things before that.

Vengevine is 10-1 @ the SCG Open

Tbh it's not even that great vs tron. Ghost quarters would be much better, to say the least.

I'd probably run it in match ups where you can't run over any of their creatures, but that casting cost fucks you hard. Probably only good in things like wb tokens

> Thoughtsieze OR IoK, Streetwraith, and Tronlands get banned
> SFM, GSZ, Mistep, Pod, BBE, and Jace unbanned
> Or nothing changes but they reprint modern legal wasteland

What combination would you want, what combination would be best for the "meta"?

Even in tokens I don't think that I'd play this over Condemn, Sunlance, Dec in Stone, Journey to Nowhere, or Oblivion Ring. Cool card though, I hadn't ever seen it before.

>time spiral
fun set, but too pricey to ever expect my group to draft the whole set. has anyone here drafted it? how much fun was had?

Friend has a TSP block cube with one of every card, but I've never cracked packs to draft it with proper rarity balance. Pretty fun, there's a lot more going on than most sets (even if you had the right C/U/R ratios)

Like dredge vine or what? Anyone got a link?

I know, cube sounds kind of fun, but I already have like 1 and a half, and we dont use it that frequently to make me want to make another

With that being said. Are any shitty cards showing promise of a new deck architype?

Might be the RG HyperVine list Iv seen around. Runs Faithless looting to get rid of vine, then plays 8 copies of etb mana making bears, with a good hand, vomits out Myr superion with em or a reckless bushwhacker and is swinging for 10+ by T2 and lethal by T3. It's as hyper aggro as you can get, I've yet to see one of those decks not vomit out their entire hand by T3 and its fucking impressive. Have seen different varriations that I want to try out.

turn 1 goblin guide
turn 2 neonate sac faithless looting hollow one hollow one vengevine trigger

wasteland pls

Oketra's Monument feels awesome from the two events I've played. It beats up on fair decks absurdly well, and UW has some nice dickpunches for unfair stuff in the board once you figure out how many cards you need for each matchup. My problem has been Tron, but Dusk//Dawn is a house and we can pray for a ban on that shit

List I'm playing is adapted from a published 5-0 a while back, and I think(?) Shillron Olive put out a deck tech if you're into that kind of thing

mtgtop8.com/event?e=16208&d=300064&f=MO

Also not bad to budget if you're the same user, but I didn't mention it because it's not established (yet)

Ayy I used to run this before I ran zoo. Super strong. I guess with hollow one it becomes really fast.

I can drop around $1500 for a new deck. I was just wondering if I should jump back in with a new Tron deck or try and break the meta with something outlandish

The monument deck is only 400, spicy as fuck, and everything over a dollar is played in some other deck so it's/ basically/ free. Might ve worth a try

So it's just a white weenie control deck?

Vengivine dredge is always fun too

Sounds interesting, got a list?

You missed the trigger on your second creature spell cast on turn 2.