Need a RPG system that suits my GMstyle

I'm looking for a universal rule-set to become my go-to system. Thus I would need something that fits my GM style which I would resume in the following points :

- The system must allow a certain degree of improvisation, I prepare most of my game but there's always a certain point where my players absolutely fuck everything and I need to make some shit up.

- Combats need to be quick if they don't involve a major antagonist.

- The system must allow me to run most genres with a single core-book, of course there can be extension because certain genres need a book of their own (Super-Heroes, Horror typically). In fact I actually prefer it when there's lot of resources, when I have something to work with (Main reason why I wouldn't GM Risus or Cthulhu-Dark styled game is that I would have to come up with everything starting from zero).

- The system can be complex enough but ultimately needs to keep everything fluid, in the preparation and the actual game. (That's the reason why I don't like GURPS because I would spend hours just for the NPC and PC character sheets and combats would take forever because of the many maneuvers).

These are the most important points of my style, I need systems recommendation that fit these points. What would you guys recommend for me ?

(Don't bother talking about pic related, already tried it and kind of hated it, I just took the picture because I gotta post a picture)

Other urls found in this thread:

classicmarvelforever.com/cms/advanced-game-and-modules.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Savage Worlds or Fate. They're both rules lite and work for any setting. I think they both have a lot of supplementary books for certain settings.

Eh I know you said not to talk about it, but you'll be fighting an uphill battle if you were to try anything else. Best stick with GURPS (or go for it if you actually haven't played) and trim the fat off of the basic combat (which you're supposed to if you don't like very involved combat).

You can improvise extremely easily too, for the rules at least. If you want your player to do a jump kick but don't want to fuck with the combat focused supplement Martial Arts, you can just assign an arbitrary penalty that feels right, have harsher drawbacks for failure and then take note for next time.

You don't even have to make full, completely statted sheets for NPCs, just jot down some basic stats and traits that define the character and give a bio - half that if it's just a mook combat NPC meant for the players to kill.

I suggest to give it another go and pick up the book "How to be a GURPS GM" to help you get into the mindset for GURPS. I don't know how much experience you have had already, but that book surely helped me.

Well, you've gotten the best answer you're likely to get with and the guy who didn't fully read your post but still gave you a very well thought-out and considered response .

So now all that's left is either trolling or /thread.

Or we hijack the thread into the new GURPS general.

Oh no I fully read his post. Which is why I said "I know you said not to talk about it."

Sorta ironic, don't ya thing?

Maybe a little, considering you still talked about it and apparently can't take a compliment worth a damn. Or so I 'thing'.

I still love you user.

Open Legend?

It's meant to be possible to utilise no matter what your campaign setting is, be it fantasy, sci-fi or what have you.

Played it a few times online with others, it's decent even I struggle with some of the concepts.

OP Here, I should have said it earlier but I hate D100 systems

Fate core may be what you want.
Table top did a episode on it which will explain it better than I can.
I'm not for a second saying it's perfect, e.g. the art and play examples are a little cringy, but if you can get through that you basically have a working version of what GURPS wants and fails to be all in one book. Very roleplay heavy though.

Unisystem?

Not that im a fan, but numenera?

the art is more than a little cringy, it makes me wish the book didn't have any art at all

i actually quite like the system itself, but the aesthetics of social justice manifest everywhere, corrupting the book and tainting the entire fate line

It's d20

HERO

Holy shit indeed, I mistook it for Open Quest. My mistake.

Although Heroic-Fantasy and godlike beings isn't really my type of fluff.

bump

Strike! maybe?

Strike is shit, don't play it.

Sounds to me like you want a mechanically deep but quick system. Such a thing doesn't exist. Play GURPS and massively restrict options for quickness.

What's so bad about it?

It's build around buzzwords without understanding them, does flow worse than actual rules light systems, and does mechanical engagement worse than actual rules heavy systems. It's just all around the worst option in every situation.

Stop shilling Strike!

Why does Veeky Forums keep shilling Strike!?

>That's the reason why I don't like GURPS because I would spend hours just for the NPC and PC character sheets and combats would take forever because of the many maneuvers

Just learn the maneuvers nigga. Also you don't make full characters for mooks or NPC characters. Just give them their stats, and a couple of relevant skills, and gear.

That said, why haven't you tried FATE? It's what the other half of my GM duo runs when I am too busy to run a game or not done prepping for sessions. It seems to be exactly what you want.

mate I'm shitting, not shilling.
nole the difference belween l and t. I know il's not a greal margin separaling the lwo, bul's il's an imporlanl one.

all jest aside, I gues there's one or two dedicated autists shilling it, akin to the group of mongoloids that keeps making 3.5 hate threads because they're salty about it beating out 4E.

WOIN rpg (what is old is new) might work for you. It's quite new but it's built specifically to to a scaffolding for different genres, with its 3 basic books for fantasy, contemporary and sci-fi.

If modern fate is a bit bland I think Starbalzer Adevntures and Legends of Anglerre are interesting, and in between them you have lots of ground covered.

Age of Ravens blog has a nice series on History of Universal Rpg systems, with quick descriptions, I highly recommend it.

Most common options outside D100 have already been covered.

Obviously in terms of supplements you have things like all the d20 stuff, true20, etc.

Wow, you must really fucking hate Strike! if you liken recommending it to literal shitposting.

Makes your opinions kinda hard to take seriously.

It's literally the same post with the same retarded marketing pdf in every single system thread. Pointless repetition of content is shitposting. If you enjoy the system that much, take your time to actually explain why you think people should play it it, this is a forum for discussion, not a bulletin board.

The d6 system. There are 3 . D6 space, D6 modern and D6 fantasy.

You have stats of say 3d6+1 and skills that will add to them. Say lockpick. Everything in cordanation will be 3d6+1 and with lock pick being at 2d+2 you will roll 5d + 3 . but say painting will stick at 3d +1

One of the dice is wild. If you roll a 6 you get another die. If that rolls a 6 you keep getting extras.
If you roll a one, you drop it and the highest other dice.

Armor is DR not AC.

Bigger things have a +3 to hit, deal +3 damage and take -3 damage from you. This scales up. So a mouse will take an extra 21 DMG while a house will soak 30 before having to roll its DR

Two different life system . wounds or hp.

To take an extra action you drop a dice. So if you want to attack 3 times in one round. All attack rolls will be at -2d.

The system is free from drive though (I think its pwyw)

The only downside is the magic system is a bit fiddly and could be a lot clearer.
The system was west end games starwars system before they lost the IP back in the late 90s

I love the system and use it for most of my games now. Only read the starwars and fantasy system though. But I hear that PCs game in space and monden can be imported to fantasy.

Anymore questions feel free to ask

FASERIP aka Marvel Superheroes. It is made for superheroes but can do pretty much any genre. It's easy to use, the combats are relatively fast, and it does improvisational very well.

classicmarvelforever.com/cms/advanced-game-and-modules.html

D6 poster here.
Faserip is good too. Really good everyone knows what they need to do.
Only problem I have with it is the damage system if one pc has a strength two ranks above another. The damage dealt is massively different
A punch from spiderman deals 45 HP while a rocket from the punisher will deal 20. And a halkeyes arrow deals 8.

Faserip Poster
D6 is always a good choice and has a lot of options. You can also find rules for the Legends Variant that was used in the DC Universe rpg.
I also like the Mini Six variant of D6 it's nice and concise.

Fate, as others said, is probably the only real choice.

That being said i THINK there are Apocalypse World clones that try to make is "universal", check them out.

Sure. I think the pdf does it a lot better than I can, but here goes:

I really like that it's built from the ground up to be a flexible, adaptable system that considers simplicity and ease of play its primary concern.

I like that it is transparent and has a lot of modules and rules variants if I want to tinker with it, and even explains a bit of the math/ideas behind it.

I fucking love the way character building is modular, giving you absolute control over the character.

The tactical combat module is fast and fun if you like that kind of stuff, and picking the two halves or even combining them randomly for how your character fights is quick but also pretty fun. I can also improvise monsters when I DM without problems.

You are waaaay better off finding (or I guess making your own) PbtA hacks that do what you want than any sort of generic version of the system. It thrives on the genre specific mechanics/moves, which is basically impossible to do in a generic system.

>You are waaaay better off finding (or I guess making your own) PbtA hacks that do what you want than any sort of generic version of the system. It thrives on the genre specific mechanics/moves, which is basically impossible to do in a generic system.

Absolutely. Still, checking them out isn't a bad idea (and I personally find that nowdays it's time for a a little more "universal" RPGs, actually).

OP, try Primetime Adventures too.

Either houserule some of the more complex shit out of GURPS, simplify maneuvers, and don't play by the rules when making mooks.

Or try a more narrative system like Fate. The one thing to consider about that is, however, that it, like any narrative system, doesn't work well if your players have a gamist attitude and are interested in "winning" more than anything. It requires them to be able to detach themselves from their characters and be able to take a loss or do something they know is stupid for the sake of a better story.

So 0P what's it going to be

EABA

Amen

I mean, best ones I can think of would be GURPS, Fate, or Cypher Ruleset.

I've been using Cypher mostly to introduce new and more casual people to tabletop, as it doesn't require much for players (like a D20, D8, and a D6 is all you need), the GM never touches a single die, and the system allows for a huge amount of improv and creativity.

The big downside, especially in Cypher versus the themed Monte Cook books like Numenera and The Strange, is that the GM has to do a lot of legwork and some house rules in regards to skills, classes, etc. Like if you haven't run a Cypher game yet, at least a few days of setting up.

I'm prepared to get shat on for using Cypher, but I like it well enough.

>fuxk youzzzz hick

How is the chyper system?

Strikefag and the answering guy are the same

also tri stat ;^)

I like it. I'm a fan of systems that aren't bogged down my complex rules or more than 2-3 types of dice being used because I would rather immerse the players more in the story resolved with quick and simple dice rolls then say something like AD&D.

The Cypher core rulebook requires a bit of leg work from the GM to set something up. He needs to decide character classes, feats, skills, etc. There are examples in the book, but the GM is expected to create some of his own or have a supplementary book. The rules themselves are that any action the player takes, the GM ranks on a scale of 0-10, 0 being basic stuff like walking through a door, 10 being impossible tasks. The player then must roll a D20 to beat a score that is 3x the difficulty score, and his skills, modifiers, and assets (ie equipment, allies, etc) can help reduce the difficulty by one or more steps. So if there is a level 8 creature attacking, the player has to make a roll of 24 to defend against it, but if there is a dodge skill that the player is trained in, that can reduce the difficulty to 7, with a score of 21 to beat. The player might use a flashbang, blinding and stunning the creature, reducing the difficulty down to 6, with a score of 18 to beat.

The whole system is like that, with the only time a non-D20 comes into play is calculating damage or other special nuance rules. But for the most part the player needs 1 D20, and the GM never touches a single die.

My group and I have only played D&D (4/6 have only played 5e, one of them has played World of Darkness and Deadlands as well, and I've been playing D&D since AD&D), and we're looking to branch off into a different system to do a superhero game, any suggestions?

We've leaned towards the narrative focused games, and get tired of the really crunch heavy stuff. Also, not looking to play gods or anything, just do hero stuff.

curious, can anyone here recomend an RPG for non-gamers and entry level people?

I would like to have an RPG that I could get my lady friend into. Fiasco looks interesting.

Any success here from you anons?