Warhammer 40K General (40KG)

Renegades are useless, Please buff Edition

>Alpha Legion (and I guess Chaos as a whole)
youtube.com/watch?v=W069dPLTXg0

>Grey Knights
youtube.com/watch?v=OWrG8DofaFA

>Konor Campaign: Alpha Legion winning the tabletop. Imperium winning painting and model purchases.
konor.warhammer40000.com/

>Check your local store's contribution to Omegon.
warhammer40000.com/fate-konor-galaxy-flames/

>GW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/23/updated-faqs-and-boots-on-the-groundgw-homepage-post-2/

>FW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in pdf & epub, SW:A, WIP and BB are here too, no novels.
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA

>Other Omegas
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Chart-user doing Omegons' work)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfire_(miniatures_game)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for how to take advantage of Night Lords besides raptors

first for da orkz

orks is best

Things with Butcher Cannons.

I never knew wenches were so wild for knights

>hellblaster kit specifically comes with left handed robot arms and bare heads with huge plasma burns to represent wounds from overheating plasma guns

Really? Thats actually pretty nice

>Second reply
>I2

Bully marines since hordes are morale immune

Hi guys, I used to play back in 2nd ed and I'm looking at getting back into the game.

I've been reading up on the lore and army lists and mechanics and stuff, and of all the questions I have one is at the front of my mind

What the hell happened to the Space Wolves

when I played they were pretty cool; Marines who didn't care about the Codex Astartes, had their own thing going on and had some neat organizational quirks (like Long Fangs being the Devastator equivalents because they were old and wise enough to not want to rush into melee like the newbies, or Iron Priests and Wolf Priests being a thing), now they're literally riding around on wolves and all their gear is named Frostwolf X something. What happened?

I was excited about the grand master dreadknight until I realized it would have 12 wounds and can be easily sniped, regardless of 4++ save.

What are some good Warhammer pants?

What was the first army you wanted to play? What do you play now?

Magnus had his revenge.

Drown in yiffing and die.

How can I suck less as Black Templars?

Unless you use a strategem and a psyker power
In which case it is 2+ 2++, fun

Bring that bullshit Land Rider with.

Roll better.

wait I figured sanctuary would be ++1 but there's a strategem that does it too?

>Renegades are useless, Please buff Edition
Advance and charge is fucking awesome, what are you on about?

That's so fucking cool holy shit.

GW releases in the last couple years are really hit and miss but the hits fucking HIT and the misses really fucking miss (looking at Kastelans).

Apparently some guy playing BT got in top 8 or something in the BAO, running a totally fluffy list, no bullshit WAAC cheese or anything

Repeating a question that never got answered last thread.

If I take Raven Guard chapter tactics can I use Strike From the Shadows multiple times in the deployment phase?

It seems to be made with the intent to have multiple units strike forward turn one but from what I've been told you can only use one CP per phase. Wouldent that mean I couldent use it on multiple units?

>2CP and a psychic power to make a purgation squad shoot 16 S8 AP-2 D3 damage ignores cover/LOS shots

no, only SMs in top 10 were dangels
azrael+parking lot+fliers

Must've been top 16 then.

FLG guys were talking about it.

> from what I've been told you can only use one CP per phase
Wrong. You can only use the same stratagem one per phase.

Strike From The Shadows doesn't take place during a phase so it ignores that restriction.

Can shitty OP's stop forgetting to link in the old general and link the previous thread in the new one? Holy shit you faggots have been so bad at this for weeks.

What was the list?

Jesus christ that psybolt ammo strategem

one 10 man rapid firing strike squad will do 8.89 wounds to MEQ with it.

and JESUS FUCK IT works on vehicles too

a rapid firing land raider crusader will do 10.67 wounds to MEQs with just its hurricane bolters alone

Void Lances or Dark Scythes on a Voidraven Bomber? I'm leaning towards the lances.

Hey guys I've been writing random lists on Battlescribe for Necromunda and am wondering the average game size (point wise)? Also how many models should I have for each point amounts?

I don't know, they don't post them for free.

That's awesome

Wait what?

How are dreadnoughts in their "default" versions, the Asscan + CCW or the Twin Lascannon + Missile Launcher?

I don't see people using them anymore and that makes me sad. What so bad about them?

Apparently you need to buy an app to download the lists used at the major tournaments.

twin lascannon + missile launcher is fine

asscan + CCW is basically just one upped by the redemptor entirely. That being said its a fairly cheap carnifex.

Damn. Oh well, maybe this will mean GW might give the Templars some attention or at least bring back their transfer sheet!

Yeah...it is never going to happen.

Do you guys think GW is going to put their thumb on the scale next week to make this campaign not seem like a total blowout to keep players interested? Or will they allow a clean Imperium sweep?

>dat psybolts
Holy fucking shit. A 10 man strike squad is putting out 40 fucking HB shots when in rapid fire range. That's fucking rape.

With the inclusion of dark mechanicus characters and keywords in the FW chaos index, what are the odds of chaos getting access to some of the mechanicum toys in fires of cyraxus

assuming it ever comes out

Next week the Chaos Codex comes out, we may see a turnaround.

Consider Chaos has been doing a fairly okay job at competing up til now even without it, and the playtesters believe the CSM codex is stronger than the loyalist one.

Well there is a codex for the CSM coming out, and I believe all those purchases count.

>20 shoots
>12.6 hits
>8.33 wounds
>4.17 unsaved

2CP for two extra dead marines doesn't sound all that good.

Landrider crusader would be pretty brutal, however.

>54723263
>I read yesterday that overwatch doesn't take the weapons range into account anymore.
>Can someone tell me where that's located cause I completely forgot.
Wait excuse me? Is that legit?

So I need opinions on Terminators this ed? I have like 40 Termies + Captain + Ven Dreads etc. Should I attempt running a 1st Company, or balance out shit?

What is a good Terminator count for 1500, 2000, and 2500 points respectively?

Also, mfw OP Alpha Legion infiltration has stuck

I honestly think to hamfist more chaos into things they'll do something like that. The book will probably BS Chaos into the mix and let dark admech become more of a thing. What else will they fill the book with?

Bumping for interest

holy shit, Chaos is actually slightly winning in one of the Konor warzones. The one for UK and rest of the world. Pretty amazing, really.

No. Overwatch checks weapon range. Flamers don't Overwatch targets charging from over 8" away.

Right out of deep strike too

normal rapid firing 10 man squad against MEQ: 4.44

psybolt ammo rapid firing 10 man squad against MEQ: 8.89

You literally double your damage output.

Which, after save, amounts to two or three extra dead MEQs. For 2CP.

I mean, it's really strong as it turns all of your bolters into heavy bolters, but i wouldn't spend it on Marines shooting other Marines.

Ran 10 with a lord and sorc to buff them just today, have to say they still really need support to work. They are even easier to out maneuver as well now with the 5" move

So terminators are better than last edition with a second attack, less weapons completely ignoring their saves, a second attack AND twice as many shots really boosts them.
In regards to how many? It really depends on the list. I know that's a cop out answer but a list that already has things that do their job then less and a list that lacks them more.
Tl;dr Terminators are good, use sparingly because their expensive. Use 10-20 if you have a balanced list and test amounts in the lists you bring until something works.

tyranids and tyranids, chaos marines and GSC

not that good.

The extra wound is nice, but they aren't particularly good at fighting over regular marines and the ap systems mean that you are no longer an impenetrable wall of 2+ saves

That *is* after saves, jesus christ.

Normal

40 shots

26.67 hits

13.33 wounds

4.44 dead marines

psybolt ammo

40 shots

26.67 hits

17.78 wounds

8.89 dead marines

So flamers still suck, got it.

No you idiot, he already factored the save in.

~4 dead marines without the stratagem, ~9 dead ones with it.

user, his nunbers ARE after saves. Before saves it's 13.333... Wounds for reg and 17.777... With the stratagem

Isn't that silly. You only shoot at the guys running towards you before and not a moment after.

considering you spend 1 CP for 1 reroll which hopefully will kill 1 marine, you're getting pretty good efficiency here.

First off, what's giving you guff?

So GKs squad are Rapid Fire 2, huh.

That's a squad with moral, so it's worth it, i guess.

You use that 1CP to kill a vehicle or save a warlord.

>So GKs squad are Rapid Fire 2, huh.
Yeah, it's a stormbolter.

its a deliberate concession for gameplay
to encourage more agressive long charging tactics.

Depends what you imagine the random charge roll to represent. It's really a matter of how well they got the jump on the enemy. It's not like a bad roll means they're standing in place, it means they didn't charge fast enough to avoid another volley of fire. We abstractify the game into turns but everything is supposed to be happening simultaneously. A high charge roll means their opponent didn't react quick enough.

Exact same thing for me. neat

My brothers!

Orks, which I did back in 2nd and 3rd ed

Now Marines and Dark Eldar

>You use that 1CP to kill a vehicle

Rerolling a D6 damage roll is about equal to adding +1 to the roll on average (4 instead of 3.5), good for when you roll really shit but its not usually going to make or break your average.

Giving your deep striking unit twice its ranged damage potential for a mere 2 CP is one of the best strategems in the game, easily.

>save a warlord

different phase, do that too. Don't run a vanguard detachment like a doofus and reap the rewards of your command points.

Does studying actual war strategy help with applying strategy to 40k?
I used to study historical wars, like Carthage vs Rome, Greece vs Troy, battlefields during the World Wars, but I'm kind of rusty, is it worth brushing up on that kind of strategy to outmanoeuvre opponents or not?
My game store doesn't own or use a whole lot of terrain so and cover seems pitiful this edition so I'm not too sure.

You're going to be impressed if you kill 4 marines with orbital bombardment for 3 CP, doing that for 2 CP without relying on a 4+ roll is huge.

no, 40k isn't a particularly strategic game

at most, it's about tactical use of cover, positioning and choice of targets

No because 40k doesn't give you anything for flanking or encirclement which are big parts of actual tactics

Definitely

40k is a tactics game and a highly abstract one. War strategy doesn't really figure into it.

The main skill you need to be good at 40k is math, after that it's judgement.

Wrong scale, historical wars are almost entirely about strategic warfare

40k is sort of tactical, mostly numbers and distances.

I've got enough warhammer and am looking to play a game that actually involves tactics (beyond list building). I have played LOTR and it's a step in the right direction but still not enough. Any suggestions?

>Rerolling a D6 damage roll is about equal to adding +1 to the roll on average (4 instead of 3.5), good for when you roll really shit but its not usually going to make or break your average.

Average is irrelevant given small sample size.

>Giving your deep striking unit twice its ranged damage potential for a mere 2 CP is one of the best strategems in the game, easily.

As is rerolling your charge. Mind, i don't say that it's a bad strategem, by any means, but your comparisons to CP reroll are shitty.

>different phase, do that too.

You don't have infinite amount of CP. That applies to Psybolt Ammo as well, as you'll have to choose between number of squads to apply it And using it to kill MEQs still sounds really inefficient.

>orbital bombardment

Is trash.

Malifaux and Infinity aren't bad.

Batman Miniatures Game is surprisingly decent too, if you don't mind miniatures that cost more than their weight in gold.

Sooner or later

Can you use the alpha legion 9 inch deploy stratagem multiple times?

Infinity.

Your list matters in that you need to hit a few bases like guys who can score objectives but winning the game is very much dependent on player skill and awareness.

>Malifaux
Agreed there.

X-wing used to be decent but it has pretty much devolved into this now.

>Malifaux
Is that the game that uses cards instead of dice and doesn't revolve around killing? I always thought that was the weird black sheep of wargaming.

Damn, I figured there'd be some strategy.
I noticed that, I can't draw my opponent into disadvantageous positions if he has no reason to chase after a unit, and camping an objective just makes me a target.
Even with deep strike it's almost impossible to set an actual trap.
So how does one get better at 40k strategy?

Dawn of War 1: Soulstorm and Dawn of War 2: Retribution

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfire_(miniatures_game)

Don't listen to the faggots shilling Infinity.

Personally I prefer Malifaux to Infinity, because I'm not a huge fan of gotchas, but Infinity is still a lot of fun

Yep, but the card mechanic works surprisingly well.
You still kill enemies too, it just doesn't always actually help you win the game (it does tend to though, since at the very least you're denying your opponent options)

What horus heresy book would I want to look in for details on Word Bearers legion organization and Iconography? I'm looking for inspiration for my 40k force.

>Strategem that makes Stormbolters hit like Heavy Bolters

Holy Emperor ... and the local Ork player already has a sore butthole from the amount of times my GK massacred his 150 boyz list

>Is that the game that uses cards instead of dice and doesn't revolve around killing?
Yup.

I'm considering throwing a heat lance on my arena champion reaver, and a blaster on a random dude in the squad.
If I did this and said "nah, he's just got a splinter rifle" for one would you be annoyed at all?

Eh in 5E they basically got that for free on every single unit. At least CP means they can't abuse it for the entire game nor do things like spam heavy bolter Razerbacks which all get the bonus.

>I noticed that, I can't draw my opponent into disadvantageous positions if he has no reason to chase after a unit, and camping an objective just makes me a target.
>Even with deep strike it's almost impossible to set an actual trap.

You need hidden information to set up traps, and hidden information isn't a thing in the rules (well, IIRC, it can be, depending on information, but 40kids sperg out if you suggest playing the game like that).

First Heretic

Both of those are low model count so I might give both a go. Thanks for the advice guys.