/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General

War Edition

Resources for Worldbuilding: pastebin.com/yH1UyNmN

Thread Question:
>How is War conducted in your setting? How are they fought?
>Are there any War Gods in your setting? How do they influence the process of making War, if at all?
>What's the biggest war ever fought in your setting? Who fought it? Why?
>How common is war in general? What level is most war fought at (skirmish, "Flower War", Total)?

>The two largest factions in your setting are now at war. What happens?
>Who wins?

>The entire Roman Empire as of 110AD invades your setting.
>Then the entire Kingdom of France under the Sun King.
>Then the Empire of Japan circa 1940.
>Then the entire Imperium of Man from WH40K.
>Who wins each of these?

Other urls found in this thread:

bl.ocks.org/Azgaar/b845ce22ea68090d43a4ecfb914f51bd
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You mean an army several trillion strong?

Yes. Some people make settings that can handle that. Some can't. Which are you?

The kind where there's only one planet and people who use magic have massive bullseyes on them even when they're not using magic

Generally country against country though on occasion there are non-nation groups like rebels or terrorists. Some nations hire mercenary groups though in general war has faded and instead the true battles are fought through political, economic, or technological means.

Yes, many. Few influence it directly, mostly watching and enjoying seeing the battles. Occasionally they'll push for conflicts for them to watch although they mostly have other things they watch.

WWII, literally. Only added details are mostly in necromancers, vampires, and other monsters who took advantage of the conflict for their own purposes although that was more the case in WWI which was largely orchestrated by a necromancer who wanted more corpses.

Very uncommon for the most part. Cold wars are somewhat common and the occasional skirmish though certain other parts are in constant conflict.

Depends on the scale, if total war then everybody dies. Don't fuck with nukes. If it's the more common level of war then tons of people die and the rich get richer but that's about it.

Every group but the imperium could take over some parts of the world but most would crush them. Japan would fare the best by far.

The imperium would destroy pretty much everybody. The only groups that could handle them are magical and most would just mesh with the imperium like they have with what already existed, staying in the shadows helps. In theory if all the magical and supernatural groups said fuck this then the imperium would get repulsed but it would be a hard fought battle, gloves off then the imperium would get wiped out but that's only because beings who can casually erase galaxies would get involved.

Well.

That won't end well then.

I'm not sure if this is in the pastebin, but it should be.
bl.ocks.org/Azgaar/b845ce22ea68090d43a4ecfb914f51bd
In my opinion, the best map generator in existence.

Setting: Lost&Found
Due to the nature of the world and civilizations just appearing and being displaced rather than developing naturally and the lack of resources, war consists of minor skirmishes.
>Are there any War Gods in your setting? How do they influence the process of making War, if at all?
There were three at one time, all from different worlds. Two killed each other, the third changed his portfolio.
The largest war happened at the tail end of the Spirit Plague, when The Cathokay, who had their own cure, started annexing nearby territory that had been decimated. It wasn't much of a war, but it had the most troops deployed out of any "recent" wars.
>How common is war in general? What level is most war fought at (skirmish, "Flower War", Total)?
Skirmish, mostly

>Who wins?
The Cath and the Neanjoar. The Neanjoar obliterate half of the Cath's empire before running out of resources, then the Cath start a rapid, unopposed advance. It ends with Neanjoar retreating into the deep tunnels and vanishing from the surface.

It's not the first time Romans ended up here. Their determination will lead to victory.
Their army decimated and sold into slavery or scatter. The survivors joins with lost remnants and descendants of Napoleons winter army in New Paris.
They cave out a small empire before running out of gas, oil, bullets, replacement parts, ect.
Planet isn't big enough and collapses into a black hole.

I feel like the Imperium has a chance to lose in my setting- not because they failed to dismantle the kingdoms living there, but because they might not figure out that they had arrived in the middle of the apocalypse.

To explain further, Garamond the Black, the most ancient and powerful dragon anyone is familiar with, is the owner of the world, which is a demiplane he created. In conjunction with Tiamat, his consort, he created the Eight Spokes of the World-Wheel, which are massive constructions that correspond to each of the schools of magic and hold the plane together without his direct interaction (as well as doing a host of other relatively things to maintain life there). After centuries of being a jackass to the people-shaped ants in his terrarium, a bunch of mortals and Tiamat got together and gave him an indefinite time out from the demiplane using the magic of the Spokes.

Right now he's forcing his way back in because an apocalyptic sorcery war happened and one of the Spokes was destroyed due to improper use. If the Imperium invaded they'd be subject to the rules of the demiplane, so even with Warp magic they couldn't do much to stop him if they didn't know what was happening. Once the magic weakens to a certain extent he can just collapse the plane and start fresh.

That's pretty interesting actually. Which school of magic broke?

Posting again

So I finally got the geographical names put in, all based on the real scientific names we have for them now. Im pleased with them all now.

I had a hard time figuring out a good name for Arabia Terra. With it bordering the sea, I need a name that evokes "Netherlands-like lowlands that borders the sea and is really pretty", ended up going with The Lowlands because whatever.

Also, the general ecosystem is that the northwest(Alba, Olympus, Thaumasia Heights, Daedalus Fields, ect) are temperate areas, with forests and mountains similar to that of British Columbia or other mountainous regions, slowly transitioning into grasslands the further they go.

Whereas the Sirenum Badlands, Cimmerian Badlands, Aonian Steppes, and The Promethean Roughs are all a mixture of savanna and deserts, similar to that of the Mojave and Sonoran Deserts here on earth.

But when you get to the southernmost part of the planet, The Australian Wastes, it is nothing but desert, similar to the Gobi Desert. It is nothing but dunes and craters, all of it seen over by a humongous mountain called, obviously, Mount Australia.

Mareneris Vale is sort of like the Grand Canyon, but a hell of a lot deeper and longer, filled with lush hidden valleys and enclaves. Argyre Lake is the largest inland body of water on the planet.

Hellas Valley is the largest and deepest valley on the planet. It was used as a ecological research testing site, where hundreds of scientists worked tirelessly to adapt Earth fauna and flora to the newly forming martian habitat. It is essentially a world unto its own, a Garden of Eden far removed from the troubles of the surface. Not many know what is going on down there anymore...

waddya all think so far?

Ah, I remember this. Alpha-Centauri-but-Mars right?

Looks okay. Did you ever figure out your faction issues? I seem to recall that from a few threads ago.

Evocation. The party is in Evocation-land right now, which is this world's version of the Underdark.

The artifacts being "spokes" is pretty literal. They manifest as giant towers that dominate the landscape and go deep underground. The Evocation one exploded, and there's a big underground ecosystem that gets its energy from the fragments of the Spoke that get carried around in the water.

>Alpha-Centauri-but-Mars right?
An apt description.

>Did you ever figure out your faction issues?

A little. I figured I should figure out the environment first so I can work from there, as it will have an important effect on things(where the factions are relative to each other, their resources, ect ect ect).

I gotta go to bed though. I'll answer tomorrow before I go to work(Gotta love afternoon shifts, amirite)

Gnight user.

Does anyone really like developing the economy within their world? I like going over every meticulous detail, which regions have certain ores, what the oceanic trade routes are and why they are that way, what the tax and usury policies of certain nations are, etc.

It can lead to some interesting explanations. Perhaps the reason for an ancient alliance between two kingdoms is because one of them had large deposits of tin, and the other had large deposits of copper, and by trading and maintaining friendly relations they were able to make bronze tools and weapons. Or perhaps the reason that island is a merchant republic is because it is smack dab in the middle of a circular oceanic current between two continents, so whether trade is outgoing or ingoing to one continent or the other, that island is guaranteed to be a stop along the way for the trade ships.

I'm really slow to set up economies, but once I've got a groove going it makes the setting make a lot more sense. My co-GM loves building economies, however, and frequently will do so before he's done much else with a setting. This has led to his current work, where he's figured out appropriate tolls on a teleportation network.

I'm in my underwear 100% of the time I'm drawing this

guess im the only one up this early, I'm making the pnw bordering a jungle at a huge altitude difference

it supplies really cool water to the jungle, giving the rivers (not the standing lakes that are plentiful) really cool refreshing mineral water, hence why you can see that fog coming off of them. Its an almost constant phenomena because of the temp difference

rest in peace horsemaster plainsmen that were going to go up here, I like this color palette more

I think you did a great job, but the circle of mountains looks wierd.

which circle, I can see a few areas you could say are circles

Eh, the left and northeast areas, still calling it a circle tho

thats fair, I kinda just got carried away with making shit that looks cool

like this capitol city up here in the one little bit of coastline on the northern face of this continent

woop

Its cool m8, my (mental) map has a somewhat small city on the pole north, which houses the world tallest mountain.

Depends on the sides involved. Half the fun is exploring the WILDLY different forces, equipment and doctrines and how they measure up in combat.

Yes, there are literally thousands of gods in the setting, but they are not omnipotent but just powerful spirits left over from a more primordial and mana-rich time of the world, dwelling in parasite sub-realms. Mostly they involve themselves with followers, buffs and proxies as they steadily got weaker through the ages. Sending divine agents or incarnating is very rare these days.

Depends on who is asked. Every civilization will respond with the biggest war they have been in. A human might answer with either the Crusades(which failed) the orc wars and the Founding(which they failed but the elves decided to poison the orcs) and the demonic invasion(which they failed to stop but the demons decided to massacre their mortal followers and cultists which led to the collapse of their links to the world and disappared) The current biggest war is the "war of imperial unification", a human civil war they steadily keep dragging in everyone till its a truly global war. Think of the Seven Years War or the Napoleonian wars.

contd.

nice, I'm filling the valleys towards the cliffs with pines and shit

This city isn't somewhat small, its the big bad ancient seat of the north, because nowhere else is worth living due to how landlocked and rocky it is, you need fucking fish up here.
If you live outside the walls toiling as a farmer, you do it in fealty to the king anyway, not that taxes are too high, the king has all the fish he needs anyway, but you really dont have much to begin with in terms of harvest out here, mostly fucking apples and hand fruit, cherries, nothing too filling though unless you are good with a bow, then you can fuck up some small game or test your mettle with some bigger elk type shit, bears and the like.

fishing is EZPZ though, all that cold ass water along the coast, gonna make it deep as fuck and fill it with fish (through lore)

beautiful work!

Seems like a somewhat decent place.

Mine is all about all emcompassing walls, monsters make the need for walls that surround both the cities and the farmlands.

>How common is war in general

Again, asymmetry. The surviving orcish tribes love combat, combat is a way of life to them. Orcs greet eachother with mock combat, establish themselves in communities with challanges and taboos requiring blood to be spilled when broken, rites about combat and preparing for combat permeates their society but desbite the constant naked agression most of the combat is ritualized, even conflict between tribes. The ultra-reactionary and traditional elves have the best equipment bar none, both technological and magical and their warriors are on the same level too. Unfortunately, their rigid hierarchy, blood purity laws and intrigue permeating their society means they are rigidly inflexible and almost completely unable to project their force outside their waning empire. The viewpoint humans are based on prussians around the time of Frederick's reforms. They are immensely bellingerent, expansionist and supremely self-confident, and they have the discipline and especially the logistics and rapidly growing economy to back it up. Humans have recently underwent a wave of anti-wizard sentiment and started developing a slew of new solutions and doctrines to replace magic and wizards in pointy hats as the primary way to wage war. A huge focus on artillery and combat engineers, a general staff system, promotions based on merit, a cadre of "soldier nobility" replacing war magic with adepts and simple "buffing" adepts available in greater numbers, replacable parts, standardization, metricization etc. Their equipment is still nothing compared to the many arcanotech wonders left over from the Age of Magic, especially the ones the elves can field but they are generally regarded as the most capable army standing because of their general morale and resilience. Unlike the elves who like quick, decisive victories and retreat is a terrible shame, the humans love pragmatism and long total war scenarios

like attack on titan? or many other settings, but I thought of aot first

I plan on having a couple places like that, in the jungles mostly

Funny, on a earlier /wbg/ thread It got called similar to that series.

But its about superpowered lords and knights,with peasantry living under the walls as they can't face the monsters on their own, pike/spear formations don't really do the job aginst the monstruosities, but that doesn't mean auxilirialies aren't a thing. Transportation between the walled cities are done in groups of wagons protected by some knights and auxiliaries and later armoured trains.

Depends on where you are and who you are

There are billions of different religions so most likely yes

Fairly common, they just came out from a century long war with an AI army, though most wars are just civil uprisings of some sort kept to one planet

Their states both collapse as they're sort of conjoined.

See above

Seen as some sort of primitive uprising, doesn't get any attention

Both same as above

They beat the imperium by sheer numbers

sounds dope, half of the world is just going to be fucking hardass knights who make a living in the 'shit is always about to hit the fan' regions of the world that people normally cower from

Also, a huge part of the entire setting was to deconstruct some of the most common "medieval stasis" and hollywood warfare tropes. The PCs have been human soldiers for the longest time and instead of heroic last stands and glorious charges, they have been mostly doing paperwork and pulling rearguard duty covering orderly retreats. The importance of logistics, reserves, good command staff and reconnaissance comes up often too. For example. the Empire had some steampunkish "sky battleships" which were immensely costly and almost completely worthless failures, far too expensive to actually risk in combat and costing a fortune to maintain and build but simple two man recon blimps and observation balloons were absolutely invaluable.

Actually the setting is in space, there is advanced tech and magic, but magic enables feudalism to adapt and continue existing. The knights are indeed hardass, but one of my biggest issues is with society and how different it would be on this setting.

Funny, its the exact opposite on my setting, huge things are useful and faceless mass made products are unreliable.

It was just for putting in a little bit of versimilitude about the Wunderwaffe and cost efficency. It also helped to emphasize the humans hat as the most adaptive, industrious and reasonable race in their own eyes. The PCs actually took part of a commision evaluating another possible superweapon, a solid-fuel rocket and got an ugly lesson on how military development actually works.

>Yeah, its possible.. Give us a well equipped lab, a well staffed workshop, about a thousand silberthalers annually and about five to eight years and maybe we can give you a prototype you can possibly field after another three years of testing. Or maybe not, Teufeldreckt is naturally unstable afterall. Maybe it will never be possible to stabilize it enough to make a deployable weapon.

bump

Do you make any new and exotic wildlife for your settings? What are they like?

I dicksaurs that spit cum, the cum is used as detergent and soaps by some.

You should get that checked by a medical professional

We both got dubs, lol.

Well, I made creatures that are dicksaurs, my bad.

Yes, yes I do. Economics have a huge impact on culture and politics so neglecting that means missing out on lots of juicy detail.

Resources and trade routes are lots of fun to build, once you set up the parameters it can be quite satisfying to see how it all unfolds and one detail naturally suggests another until you have a rich and interconnected world.

Tax policies and the like I deal with in a more abstract manner. "Country A decided to raise tariffs on wine to pay for it's wars, so merchants instead use the longer but cheaper route through Country B" or "The Empire can fund it's fleet due to a having a well enforced tax system courtesy of it's large civil service". I don't need to put actual numbers on the wine tariffs, all that matters is that they are now higher than than Country B's and this shifts trade patterns. Who/what gets taxed, how it is collected and the rough level of taxation (crushing to token) gets across the important information. Too much dry detail not only alienates the reader/players but once you attach concrete numbers to things the chances of making a mistake not easily reversed out of rise dramatically. There will be players who calculate that the income through taxes can't pay for half of the expenditure of your kingdom. Better sidestep the issue with "The King gets most of his income from the salt trade, which is farmed out to merchant consortiums via charters of royal monopoly".

In other news: how do set up ocean current to enable that island trading powerhouse?

The real world has plenty of exotic and unknown wildlife already, people tend to steer towards making new things before using what is already designed for them.

I personally like to create animals that would blend in our own world and fit into clearly defined biological classifications.

Same, but i tend to warp the megafauna

>>The two largest factions in your setting are now at war. What happens?
>>Who wins?

Dave from Accounting vs. contract tech support?

Some amusing snark, and a few delays as everybody figures out how to work around the glitch in the workflow.

>>How is War conducted in your setting? How are they fought?
It's towards the end of the Pike and Shot era. With a small amount of magic thrown in.

Pretty much constantly. Although most of the fighting happens in the colonies, and isn't usually more than piracy/skirmishes.

>>Are there any War Gods in your setting? How do they influence the process of making War, if at all?
The monotheistic church purged most of the worship of pagan war gods. Although some might still practice in secret.

>>What's the biggest war ever fought in your setting? Who fought it? Why?
So far, The Wars of Religion, if you count it as one big single war. Not Protestants vs Not Catholics.

>>Who wins?
Depends mostly on what other major players get involved and on who's side, overtly or not.

And what the heck is goin on here? cause it has a star of David loincloth and black people drawn as degenerates but it is crushing a city and has a ku klux klan headdress
so I have no clue what is going on

It's all the bad things about America.
And also the world's most beautiful leg.

Reposting from last thread in case anyone didn't see it:
I was wondering if anyone here had a top-down, detailed map of their world they wouldn't mind me (attempting) recreating in the game Minecraft?
I'm honing my skills in creating environments using external tools to the game and looking to make a themed survival map.

That sounds pretty cool.
I can't help though, I've been intentionally putting of working on my campaign map.

Well, if you happen to get it finished any time soon just post it to me and I'll see about getting crack-a-lackin' on it :)

Anybody familiar with real world mythology and the Boston area (current or historic)? Alternatively familiarity with the Dresden Files will help. I'm trying to figure out what sort of supernatural groups would be part of what is effectively a supernatural UN underneath the city. There's a ley line which runs from Teotihuacan to Stonehenge and it runs through Baltimore (about under their Washington monument), D.C. (under the Washington monument), New York (Couldn't find anything of note aside from the city itself), and Boston (Under the Bunker Hill monument) and I had the idea that the fae courts took part in the revolutionary war and eventually reached a compromise of sorts which led to them creating a court on the ley line under Bunker Hill prior to the construction of the monument. This compromise is constantly changing and having minor things added and removed but what is constant is that the courts are in a state of cold war. They've largely ceded the area to a group of emotional vampires who feed on rage (they're responsible for the mess that is the roads, in fact they're designed to funnel the energy to a few points where they can feed without causing harm) and they've allowed other groups to treat the areas around the court as neutral grounds (this was aided by another being creating a city and enforcing that neutral grounds rule throughout except in the court grounds). Thus far both remaining Dragons have envoys (one has his favorite daughter and I'm unsure who the other sent) as well as the Svartalves and the Tuatha De Danann (specifically Goibniu). The Tylwyth Teg don't have an envoy but they do have a tavern which Goibniu spends most of his time in so they have his ear, not that either group wants much.

In my setting, the Deicolorii are a mass of small islands. Each island has a lord (iodge), and they normally have an armed force sworn to them. Due to the islands being small, the forces are small and very varied, carried in low-draught ships. A lot of skirmishing on beaches. There aren't many wars any more, now the islands are united, but standing forces still exist, especially on the outer islands, where pirates are more likely to attack.

There is a War God, the Gods aren't real in my setting.

The final battle the first Siege (Equivalent to a Venetian Doge) fought against the largest island to bring them into the fold. It would be tiny by battles of the same period in our own history.

Mainly skirmishes to secure a beachhead. Champions will often offer duels, rather than full battle, due to small population sizes on the islands.

The Albans are a nation far to the North. They use more traditional medieval warfare, with knightly orders. If they can secure a landing point, they would likely win. But the people of the Deicolorii are very adept sailors and at ship-to-ship combat, so could hold them off.
>Who wins?
Eventually, the Albans, if left unchecked. They have discovered the secret of the religious rulers of another land. Their 'fire magic' is simply gunpowder.

>Who wins each of these?
They would all win. There will be many more of them

Really nice. What program did you use for this?

Unless one of your players is a Bostonian, I think you're fairly free to make it up.

paint tool sai, all of it is hand drawn on a slowly decreasing number of layers

Most of my players are from the area (I'm not but I have family there so I know the area well enough) but the real issue is that I don't know the minutia of the city well enough to add too many details.

You can get layers on paint?

paint tool sai you butt boy

>all of it is hand drawn
That's extra fucking impressive.

Leave it vague, unless it comes up. If a player calls you on it not being accurate, tell them it is is in this fantasy world.

Ah, my bad. I'll give that a look.

>Layer 73
Sweet fuck

It's actually pretty acurate in part because I'm just sticking to parts of the city not specific blocks. My main issue is in coming up with more stuff.

>Layer 186

thats from when I had like, a shitload of layers

sai names them weird too, like if you make layer 2 and layer 3, then delete layer 2 and make a new layer, its layer 4

so you almost always have a numerical increase in the actual numerical value of the layer

see above, its a rigged system

Don't worry, I was just pointing out there was a higher number. I'm a programmer so I know shit like this, they almost certainly have it set to track the highest numbered layer not what layers exist and increment from there.

yeah its p gay, and I kinda want to go rename all of the layers, but eventually you just equate the number to whats on the layer, like I know layer 2 is home base, thats the lineart of the map layer 46 is the rivers layer 72 is the tree color, layer 22 is the landmark effects like the glint off of the waterfalls and some lakes, the clouds in the blood plateau and the spooky classical cinema horror mountains.

so I cant really rename them, or I'll be fucking lost and my workflow will shit on itself.

damn shame

How many hours in are you?

I think I would have passed the point of diminishing returns after the first couple hours.

2 or 3 years

I usually intentionally avoid writing about my world as it does not seem to help anything or anybody, but I'm weak today, so if you'll excuse me, I'll indulge myself a bit.

That is for a longer analysis, but in rough: most of the landscapes are open grasslands and steppes, or sharp mountain ranges.
In open field, battles are usually dictated primarily by cavalry, which attacks from backs of animals that look like a cross between a bull and a dog, which we call "Karaf". Chivalry usually relies on spears, bolas, recently also on simple match-lock-like pistols. Heavy chivalry might charge in full plates and with heavy swords or axes to break the heart of enemy infantry stances.

Infantry plays the "archonts", the heart of the army, and consist mostly of pike men and rifle men in tight formations, surrounding the general and protecting the most valuable asset - usually cannon or cannons which are vital during sieges and must not fall into the enemy hands. Battles can drag out, as the chivalry skirmishes on the sides and seeks for a good way to crack the infantry defense, while the infantry slowly head towards each other for an inevitably crash.

In general, it is preffered to maim and not kill enemies (prisoners of war are valuable). But in the heat of the battle, people rarely care.

Sieges are long and frustrating. Victory is usually decided by the size of the attackers cannons.

Tons of such gods are worshiped, but they mostly as real and involved as our gods in the real world are.
There are rumors of fantastic, divine creatures living somewhere deep in the mountains that can alllegedly fly, and can join into the battle and completely turn the tide. Nobody knows who they favored if they join in. It seems that they are more like joining in without biases
(cont.) Pic inspiration for my war-aestheics.

Damn. Is it for a campaign?

it was, then everyone moved across the state/country

now I just do it because I'm bored and like toying with the ideas, its basically an escape for me

Kind of like a setting-in-waiting, whenever a nice looking suitor game saunters up I'll use it for that probably. I mean shit I'll probably use this forever.

>>How is War conducted in your setting? How are they fought?
Brutal large scale. Go Big or go home. If it can be deployed. Deploy it.
>>Are there any War Gods in your setting? How do they influence the process of making War, if at all?
There is one. He really isn't active. He just watches and helps those who are getting unfairly dicked over.
>>What's the biggest war ever fought in your setting? Who fought it? Why?
The biggest war had to be the war of the of the Goliath. Why it was fought, the god of death provoked all factions to fight over an artifact said to grant anyone mans wishes. But really it was a catalyst for an ancient summoning stone used to summon those who died in the battle back as the undead. The legion awoken after no one won. Then began the phase known as the The Frozen legion which is Goliath sized golem comprised of a million of reborn undead. Who's vengeful soul didn't get a rightful dead. The legion is called frozen since there soul is frozen in a state of limbo.
>>How common is war in general? What level is most war fought at (skirmish, "Flower War", Total)?
>>The two largest factions in your setting are now at war. What happens?
The Undead Legion, and the Blackened Knights. Brutal man to man warfare against unholy knights and legions of damned souls. While aided by the Warp Entities that attempt to take control of there respected side.
>>Who wins? No one. Each army is never ending. They will continue to battle till the sun consumes the planet.
>>The entire Roman Empire as of 110AD invades your setting.
They Loose. We don't like off worlders.
>>Then the entire Kingdom of France under the Sun King.
They are semi victorious but the other races REALLY don't like the sun king due to the fact of the last Major king starting the undead legions rise.
>>Then the Empire of Japan circa 1940.
>>Then the entire Imperium of Man from WH40K.
We loose due to shear numbers but the undead and black knights will continue to be a problem cont.

CONT:
Japan: Would get its ass handed to them by the last of the Humans. Who are the equivant to Modern day tech wise. But suffer a curse where all off springs a horribly mutated. But the humans never truly die. There dead form will wage war till the invaders are gone. Which is why the elves refuse to fight the humans due to the fact of ghost army.

Again - long story. But to cut it short:
A massive Mongolian-like invasion destroyed and took over much of what once was the biggest kingdom in the world, called Circle.
After the fall of Circle, the leader of Go-Sum declared himself a divine god of the land, and many of his chieftains started integrating themselve into the existing infrastructure.
The problem was, many of the nomadic warrior weren't thrilled with the idea of giving away their nomadic, warrior lifestyle, so to appease them, the Emperor started launching military campaigns towards surrounding territories to keep them busy. These were known as Slave Wars.

The last, fourth Slave War saw the last few remaining powerful nations form an aliance: "The Purple Head Union".
It consisted of leaders of a trade-city-state Caliopa (Inspired by Damascus, richest city in the world) and their mercenary army, budding theocratic Byzantine-like nation of the fair folk, and "league of free men" consisting of warriors collected from numerous yet uncivilized tribes from the far west (kinda Celtic type of people).

The Purple Hand Union (army of three nations, as they were sometimes called), stopped the invasion of Go-sum in what was arguably the biggest battle of the last two thousand years.

It was an interesting battle. The very technology-savvy Fair Folks first utilized artillery batteries (as opposed to using just one or two massive cannons in sieges) in an open field battle and their heavy knights proved to be exceptionally durable and devoted.
The Wild Men lacked organization, but fought with insane zeal. And the mercenaries of Caliopa only showed up at the last imminute, but wreaked havoc on the retreating and supplying troops.
The entire army had about 40k soldiers all together.

Agains them, Goh-Sum fielded about 90k men, but only 35k were elite riders from the nomadic tribes, rest were conscripts with poor moral and experience.

War generally speaking reflects IRL however, Akai ultimately has a philosophy brutal and similar to the Chinese in its pragmatism. One major example of this divergence is the willing use of nuclear weapons against enemies. "In latter years Censor-Marshal Woerjin and Ditu Jieke added their own theoretical additions with their Warfare beyond bounds which served as a way of implementing a form of modern total war that made us of a wide variety of methods not conventionally considered tools of war and incorporating the idea of perpetual civilisational conflict.
Modern Akai has begun to incorporate these ideas, with its main elements being is focuses on is the Unrestricted Warfare doctrine, the Ditu’s War, the modernization of conventional forces for war and the continued strengthening of strategic forces for further deterrence. The Akai are constantly striving to maintain a balance between their desire for a new sleeker force and the maintenance of the current conscript forces.
Modern Akai has begun to incorporate these ideas, with its main elements being is focuses on is the Unrestricted Warfare doctrine, the Ditu’s War, the modernization of conventional forces for war and the continued strengthening of strategic forces for further deterrence. The Akai are constantly striving to maintain a balance between their desire for a new sleeker force and the maintenance of the current conscript forces."

Tiandao Jiao does have a war God, in the form of the Ditu and Huodi otherwise known as the Fire Emperor. They have only so much power as their followers grant them, merely exerting presence for their actions

While other wars in the region do have significant scale, the conclusion or the Second Warring States Period is otherwise known as the Unification war 1894-1923 marked the expansion of the Lazinatoese empire with the planned goal of the restoration of the Akai Dituate under the Lazin dynasty. It was exceedingly brutal, mirroring many elements of the Warring States Period with vast armies clashing in highly mobile combat.

Outside of Akai, the Great Republican Uprising in Tuthina probably outmatches everyone else with some 50 million dead.

No war is especially common in recent times although Akai has undergone five wars in the 20th century. The longest period of peace was brought by the Xionghe Ditu whose reforms broke the back of all those who could resist the central government.

Outside Akai war is fairly common.

>Who wins?

Within Akai, the Order of the Sea and the Order of the Field wage war, and the country is basically nuked by one another in order to secure the destruction of the other.

Outside Akai, chaos.

Gets curbstomped by the 3 million strong Akai armed forces with modern equipment. Probably just carpet nuked.

Probably ditto but easier given smaller numbers.

War probably would be a difficult thing but the Japanese would be broken through superior firepower and equipment along with less military autism.

Curbstomped by the Imperium. Less they get Orion space orbital missile platforms which might actually do some damage.

>Who wins each of these?

>You mean an army several trillion strong?
only 7 trillion? what about the planet made entirely of guardsmen?

Should I post full milsperg doctrine?

Call me when they finally got rid of the orks

Kind of want to make my a setting where the gods of the mortal realm are cruel and petty, but conceal this fact, and the only good god is the god of the afterlife who is demonized. Essentially the death cults are right.

The Orks are there for a reason. I mean, what else would they use for target practice? (other than doubtful/heretical guardsmen, which are what Commissars are for)

Someone explain to me how sewer systems in the ancient and medieval Near East functioned. It seems too hot and dry.

>Roman Empire
Beaten back by a nation of giants (think 12-13ft tall, like Game of Thrones giants but more sophisticated) that use gunpowder and magic, but said giants are merciful, and will agree to a peace treaty and the ceding/vassalization of whichever chunks of the Roman Empire they have conquered should the Romans wish to concede defeat (if they don't, then the giants will just continue to conquer their lands until they surrender for real this time, or the entirety of the Roman Empire is assimilated into the giants' own empire).

>17th-18th century France
Depending on their tactics and stuff, might win the initial battles with said giants until the latter adapt and turn back the tide, afterwards, it's the same deal, should France wish to admit defeat.

>WW2 Japan
A post-industrial nation with superior airforce, navy and guns vs a schizo tech industrial nation of giants that have crude cyborg zombies as cannon-fodder but are yet to progress beyond muzzle-loading flintlocks in the firepower department. Japan definitely has the edge through and through, unless they decide to be foolish enough to give their opponents time and opportunity to reverse-engineer their tech.

>Imperium of Man
No question or contest here.

Self-correction: A post-industrial revolution nation*

bump

work has begun again

Sup ringanon, is the northtown meant to be that small? Also are you planning to show the farmlands?

probably, just gotta work out a nice way to draw them that doesn't leave me wanting.
And the city is just like an icon, not representative of size or anything I'm trying to make the world at the same scale as the eart, with some stuff stylized just because its easier that way.

Namely stuff like this sand bar, of course the thing isn't 160 miles wide (sized it up against some landmarks, at its widest its about as wide as florida @ 160m) but its easier to draw it that way because it looks cool, and I only have so many pixels.
Also the mountain ranges, its not just one big peak, just a representation of the borders of where the moutainous regions start and a general idea of their height

I see, so its basically a map made with medieval cartography technicques? interesting.

Nice King's landing down there

Also, some of the mountains of the bottom left look a bit strange, that white "lake", what is that suposed to be? I am not a geography master, so there is that.

you know it boy, the actual plot aside I cant fucking get enough of GoT's worldbuilding.

also bottom left where? all I see that sorta fits the white lake description is a canyon I'm gonna fill with skeletons
Basically it was some necromancers keep, after he had his whole story play out all the stuff he resurrected still continued living in the canyon basin, so natives blew up part of the mountain to wall it off (which failed, hence the little goat trail spicing life up sometimes)

at least that's what I'm thinking now, the only thing that I know for sure is that there will be skeletons just chilling 24/7 who mostly mind their own business, and are too great in numbers to really warrant leading a crusade against them.

Ah, never watched it, but I know some bits of it.

By the bottom left I mean those wavvy mountains (the brown ones), looks a little erratic or unnatural, but its fine, i don't really know much about canyons and muntains, so i could be wrong.

Good on the skellies, mine are just the servants of a trap, who also happens to be the lord of the amazons.

With all dem sea reaching mountains I think seafaring isn't that explored isn't it?

Oh, that is like just a little row of cliffs that jut out of the water, with a pock mark in it that turned into a little tidal pool type thing, I mean to add more because its supposed to be like, a common feature along the cliffs

>trap lord of the amazons (ft. bone boys)
let me enter into your magical realm

The coasts being so harsh and mountainy are the reason that the one northern town has such a monopoly on everything in those highlands, it has the deed to the whole coast it sits on (which is practically all of the coastline).
Barring the little bay-of-a-lagoon thing, but I plan on making the water so shallow and the mouth of the lagoon so rocky that nothing much larger than a 2-man canoe can really traverse reliably, and you have to make a 400 mile canoe trip just to get to port, because all around the lagoon is just barren rocks.
Suffice to say, not many people want to spend 10 days on a canoe just to deliver a canoe's worth of fish for market when the fishing guilds and coalitions in the capitol can drag in galleons' worth of fish every day
Maybe there is a small group of people who do it out of spite, dirty northern jews not paying the kings fish tax, but its not a popular hobby

Otherwise there are people who live on the coast and fish all the time, its just that the land is so barren and they're so isolated and barren that its hard to build anything that isn't just a little fishing village so they're of little consequence.

I see, are these cliff rows that common IRL?

Abou the coasts, I can see it playing out, makes sense, a fishing commune sounds comfy, I guess tax evasion is a thing here too.

>let me enter into your magical realm

Actually its not a fetish, but I can explain it if you want.

might as well, nobody else is posting anyway and we're basically just talking to each other

dunno if cliffs like that are common irl, but this map is mostly rule of cool anyway

A rule-of-cool-bro talks about geography with someone who slept during geography classes

>in the lore of the setting, a ancester of the lord of the pole north rejected the advances of a gay prince with sorcerous powers, so the prince was like "if ya like pussy that much then all your people will be woman and only fall for woman"

>A few years later, the same ancestor asked their lord to uncurse them, but they had a price to pay, from now on, any of their descendent, if they die, do not gets reborn, but have to fight forever aginst the abyssals inside the abyss to help with a unrelated issue. Also, the curse wasn't completly either, but merely changed, men and woman got swapped, men became womanlike and viceverse, the amazons of the north had to fight harder to regain their respect, being cursed is seen as a huge dishonor, however due to an earlier event in history called "The Necromancer's rebellion" when a group of lords revolted and used black magic to its full extent aginst the empire.

>Black magic back in the day was openly teached, but after this issue of lords using the dark powers to make themselfes above others, only the amazon clan (not amazonic at the time) was considered worthy enough, nowadays they are hated and feared, the trap lord was the result of friend of the amazon boss at the time making a wish to a shooting star, wishing that the new child would be like her father, the gods misintepreted the message and he was the first male lord in almost 80 generations of woman leaders.

>The trap lord, inheriting the dislike the other lords have towards the amazon clan, decides to be cunt to his fellow nobles and support the theory that there is a way to free mankind from the abyss influence, singlehandedly preventing the purge of men until a better solution can found.

>Said trap gets to act with impunity most of the time because he slain the prievous emperor, putting the current empress in power and earning her favor and of the other gods.

high magic settings are weird, I always wonder what regular peasants are doing while the progenitor of the lord of the north pole is getting hit on by some epic level sorcerer who polymorphs millions (?) of people because he got turned down

It was a gradual process, people eventually asked the local lords "why only girls are being born?" who turn asked for the Great Lord (the lord of north pole), who then said "before we begin, I would like to say it wasn't my fault..."

It was an akward moment for everyone involved, especially during the first years of it.

1\?
In first epoch, it was sort of bronze age, but with magic.
Second epoch is late-medieval \rennaisance, except one subfaction has electricity, primitive engines, golem-powered factories and so on.
Third epoch is full-blooming cyberpunk\magitech. Warheads, bombers, drones, combat AI-spirits, necrobiological weaponry, mad shit.

Gods have no domains like war. They are tied to sectors and give no fuck about mortals, only about wholeness of their world. Allgod is sleeping and these little gods are his thoughts\dreams. (sort of realms divided by timespace anomalies). There are demons and spirits for it, but they are quite local, and there are 2 True Demons alive. One doesn't give fuck at all, he just smiths concepts into weapons. Second is true demon of conquest. He killed and absorbed all his kin except smith, tried to kill allgod, got fucked up and endlessly shattered, each piece in each sector. They have their conciousness at level of stone, but gathered, they slowly become whole and sort of closer to original true demon. But before shattering, he made greyskins who are best in means of war in setting, to get his shards. And since shards are endless...

In first epoch it was greyskin rebellion. Enslaved by Humanity Protectorate, bc humans are present everywhere and were more civilised than greyskins. After 460 years of slavery, six talented guys got voice in heads, went through catarthic expiriences and gone from "my life is hard but we should endure" to "whoop human asses and go to our homeland". Later, those prophets are remembered as Six Fathers, each of them found their own caste. War was cruel and long, humans lost, because slaves stole much of bronze-age tech, became disciplined and united.