Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/

Starship Edition:
Do you hope your Starfinder party be crewing their own small vessel or use a large military/commercial ship as a base of operations?

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/JLu5xXML
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/3GfJKi0y
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/YAk263j
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Posting it again another thing I remembered and context:

So my party and I recently fought a villain and a bunch of weird stuff happened that I want to call bullshit on. Can you guys tell me if this is bullshit:

>enemy has two initiatives, GM said it was "to make a singular enemy more threatening and to give him more action economy"
>the bad guy every time he attacks us with this giant mantis limb that he has instead of an arm causes a fort save or debuffs to hit and movement speed (GM said it numbed you when it touched you)
>use a hand crossbow with like 6 shots (GM said it was a multishot crossbow) to shoot incoming attacks out of the air (I think this may have been PoW)
>went through a window to escape from us and didn't provoke AoOs when running off (he didn't attack that round though)
>when we went through after him he attacked the first guy who went through with a shard of glass (my character) and gouged my character's eye out (GM said he had readied action after he went through)
>GM said I was blind for one round and permanently in my left eye, plus a bunch of bleed damage
>the next guy who game through the villain apparently had a cut on his hand and flung blood into my party member's eyes to blind him as well (it was a tough attack)
>had a climb speed
>had a swim speed & could breathe under water (he escaped from us by diving into the river and swimming straight down)
>several times during the chase he would just tackle his way through doors/windows and keep going without having to stop moving
>one point activated a spring loaded thing and launched this seed that grew super quickly tried to wrap around another of my party member's, it was a touch attack and a reflex save
>was able to just break things and use anything as an improvised weapon, but was able to give them weapon properties (at the least he was able to give one acid)
>resistant to scrying (don't know why)

(1/2)

Your GMs being kind of a dick here since he is attacking your WBL since your going to need to trek to a metropolis and fork over 910 gold to have Regenerate cast on you to have your eye regrown

Starfinder General this way

The important thing is what comes out the mothership

So the situation for context.

We're playing the game in a massive city, like 1800s london massive at somewhere around 300,000 people. We work for the government. The guy we're hunting is a serial killer who has been targeting government officials. They tried to scry him and it didn't work. From what we know he's named Solomon Grott and the news papers are calling him "The Half Man" because his description included the weird insect parts.

From what we know Solomon Grott was a prisoner in the big magical prison the government keeps dangerous fucks in who somehow got out.

When we tracked him down he told us "You're blind, scratching at the underbelly of sharks, blind fish in a murky abyss.".

We're already in a metropolis. Our characters are basically government employees. The problem is there isn't anyone in the city who can cast regenerate even then. My character now has to wear an eyepatch and is getting a -2 to ranged attacks and visual based perception checks.

I don't use ranged attacks anyway for the most part because I'm a melee fighter, but still.

Then ya he is being a dick that hurts your most important skill the spot it before I get stabbed by thugs skill also how is there no one to fix your eye more so if your government backed? press the issue this was a on the job injury

Basically our GM said this:
>They don't have any clerics strong enough to cast regenerate on you, but they could sort of compensate for it. The fleshwarpers will make you the equivalent of a new eye, but it's gonna make that side of your face look strange, likely they'll slightly enlarge and fit something into the eye socket. If you're lucky and they do a good job it might actually be better than before.

I refused because I didn't want my character to be warped.

So the scrying thing could have a few ways.
Obviously, you can get swim speed, climb speed and immunity to scrying from spells.

However, I think it's more likely this creature has at least 1 level in vigilante, which gives it two personas, and you can't be detected with scrying when you are in the other persona.

It seems likely that this whole creature is a custom job of various classes and/or templates. For example, you can temporarily blind people with the Dirty Trick manoeuvre. However, permanently removing an eye isn't part of that. If you have all the chunks of your character's eye, you should petition your DM that it should just be blindness, that can be removed by Remove Blindness/Deafness.

It likely took a withdraw action when you didn't get attacks of opportunity.

The crossbow seems likely to be a repeating crossbow.

The acid properties on weapons you can get from a few classes, especially the the Transmutation implement of the Occultist, an ability you can get with the psychometrist Vigilante archetype.

Hey. Do I want a normal familiar with the Mauler archetype or an improved familiar? I can't put Mauler on an improved familiar without DM fiat, right?

How do you feel about players significantly refluffing the appearance of their magic items? Like, for example, if they wanted to say their Jingasa of the Fortunate Soldier is a tricorn hat or their magic vest is actually a magic dress?

I'm fine with it. I GM'd and talked to my players about how their magic items looked, and they could ask for specific designs. Adds a bit of flair.

Go for it.

It doesn't make sense for magical enchantments enchantment to be tied to a specific type of hat.

Seems 100% fine to me, as long as it's just fluff.

i want leakanon to post setting

Magic and tech items, as long as they work the same way, should look like whatever the person who made it deems fit. If that individual made a jingasa out of a tricorne, so be it. My pyrokineticist has been wearing a scarf of resistance for three levels now.

I want you to PM them.

It's the only way to do half the fucking equipment in the game due to how trapped it is.

I want you to bend over and spread 'em

>implying they haven't been spread this whole time
I don't fuck around when I come to Veeky Forums.

Can someone post page 502/503? Looks like I missed that one when it was posted.

>I can't put Mauler on an improved familiar without DM fiat, right?
There's a Jolly!Vigilante talent which explicitly allows it.

Ah, right, he posted that one out of order. Thats why I missed it.

Thank you user.

And thanks to you too leakfriend, wherever you are, keep up the good work!

Yeah, no worries. Had to go back a few threads is all.

An interesting thing I noticed after looking into it is that if you want to be a pure melee monster in Starfinder, you actually don't want to be in power armor.

Let me explain; the best power armor (Jarlslayer) brings your speed down to 20, gives you +24 KAC, +18 EAC, brings your size up to large, gives you two upgrade slots (not great) and 2 weapon slots, and brings your strength up to 29. That's really good.

However, someone that starts with 18 strength, +1 from their theme, +4 from levels, and +6 from a stat-booster will have the same amount of strength. Vesk Monolith level 3 armor (A level 20 suit) gives you +26 EAC, +27, reduces your speed by 5, only has a -2 armor check penalty, and has an absolutely massive 7 upgrade slots. If you're an Armor Storm soldier or picked it as your secondary, you can even install power armor mods into it at no extra cost. The only things it doesn't make up for are losing large size and not having integrated weapon slots, but I'd say that's weighed out by not needing to carry around a shitload of ultra-size batteries to keep your dwarfsuit running.

It doesn't hurt you too bad if you don't want to go all-in on strength, either, since the difference between 26 strength and 29 strength isn't particularly appreciable most of the time.

Sup /pfg/, I'm the DM for the Kal-Vortun campaign, the one setup on a discworld-ish setting. Sorry for not posting for awhile, we kinda went through a hiatus where the campaign got shifted around, and several flakish players were dropped in exchange for more consistent players. Anyway, we now have a full party of level 3 players, which means I can now do more complicated things.

Our last session more or less consisted of roleplaying, and getting players acquainted with their new city home: Wind Rises. It's a decidedly polish-themed city that's run by an ancient cult of tengu cavaliers. It's current ruling family is the Raginis clan, which consists of roughly 3000 people, and whose heraldry is a huge stylized gryphon, set upon a white frame with a single offset red stripe.

The party was first introduced to their Guild Hall(The neon green mark up top). They met up with their secretary; a Tengu peasant named Pamela Kulczynska(Pronounced: Cool-shin-ska), and were given a permanent lodging room within the guild hall. I made sure to explain to the party that their guild room is a very secure location, as it's protected by an Arcane Lock that can only be opened by the party members, and it has both barracks and storage for the party and their loot. While the lodgings are very meagre, it will be free to them so long as they operate under the crown.

They had a small feast, and were introduced to some of the town delicacies. Such as a popular dish consisting of fried dumplings filled with fish meat. Then the next morning Pamela had set them up an appointment with a Crown representative. They met up with a Court Wizard for the royalists, by the name of Marian Perepeczko. He had them sign up papers pledging their service to the crown, as well as sign over the Reposession Rights to a fort(captured in the previous session) in exchange for a fair reward. He gave them some downtime to visit the merchants in the city to sell off their loot.

Bit of a bummer, that. Such is life, I suppose. Thanks for looking through it!

It's worth noting that the Jarlslayer power armor is only level 15 power armor, and that Paizo has promised us "gundams" in the future. While Heavy Armor is currently better for a dedicated melee combatant than Power Armor, I imagine mechs (which will very likely run on a similar system to the power armor rules) may well change that.

Also, power armor remains a viable idea for anybody that doesn't go hard into strength, since even if you have complete shit for strength you'll still have 29 in Jarlslayer, so if you're willing to pay the cost to pick it up it can be a viable way of expanding your character's options.

More:

After selling off the party loot, they met up with one of the Crown Princes, in order to be sworn in as agents of the Crown. Up at the city castle, they met with the Heir Apparent; Prince Calpheon Raginis. He was a grizzled old tengu cavalier with a modest honour guard, and a silver prosthetic arm. Despite his battle scarred appearance, I played him off as being a genuinely cheerful and friendly person, and described him as being more of a local celebrity to the party members with good local knowledge. He had them swear oaths to his father's crown, just the usual cavalier stuff. But that leaves off the current session.

And that brings me to some more things. I want to run them through a sort of "Trial by Fire" encounter, to start off their adventures as official agents. Next session they're going to be sent to resolve a hostage situation at a dye factory. Here's the idea.

> An unknown group of foreign agents has setup camp in a Dye Factory, just on the outskirts of the city proper.
> They have issued no demands, and have spoken to absolutely nobody on their way in. Although it is estimated that they have taken 4 hostages.
> However, the building is ON FIRE. They have set a number of fires inside the building's structure that have caused it to smoulder and produce smoke. But the factory's fire suppression system is keeping it in check.
> The building is 3 stories tall, and contains roughly a hundred rooms, numerous windows, and 3 ground floor entrances. One basement entrance in a loading dock. Only thing not available is the roof, as a huge cloud of smoke prevents aerial approach.

And for a few notes.
> Party will be given a small rod, enchanted with 'Endless Water'. They're instructed that if one of them can get it to the building's fire suppression room, it can be used to put out all fires in the building at once.
> Without doing this, anyone entering the building MUST hold their breath for the duration of entry, and until exit.

The hostiles will be a mixture of Ancient-tech Automatons, mixed with Android Cultists.

> Almost all of them will be lightly armoured, but heavily armed, with a mixture of advanced firearms, and skymetal blades that cut through iron based armour.

Those weapons are going to be worth a fuckton.

Only when recovered completely. The same skymetal that ignores all iron is as fragile as glass, while at the same time it's loaded up on a robot body that's essentially made of hardened plastic. Strenuous combat is going to shatter them into millions of pieces.

I've run these enemies before. The party won't be earning a 1:1 against them, that would just break the game too quickly. So they'll get a limited quantity of the skymetals as party loot, maybe a pound at most. The firearms are where most of the money comes from, even if they suffer a 90% cost reduction from the setting having them be Common.

I've already planned out that the party will be earning a maximum of 7000 gold from this encounter, and whatever the party doesn't sell off from monster loot, the city will give them as a reward to round up to 7k. Same deal, I also reward experience based on Loot-sales.

Every gold piece worth of loot sold to their home city awards them with 1 exp, split between the 6 party members.

>leakanon said he would leak the equipment and spells
>only leaked the equipment

For intrigue game my character married into a noble family. We were vassals to the noble family for generations and I have considered who should be essentially the progenitor of this.

I decided it is my character's Oread Great Great Great Grandfather. Being an Oread this man is actually still alive at 187 years old, and not even considered really elderly yet (He is Old, not Venerable). My character, and the rest of the family, are human. Part of my character's story involves the fact that during his father's generation the progenitor of his family turned away from the noble family they had been serving (he had already been a recluse for decades) and left entirely. My character having a complex that this was due, partially, to his failure as an heir.

Also my character being painfully aware of the fact that he will live, grow old, and die while the progenitor will likely be around, seeing his children grow old and die, and his children's children, and their children, and so on. It is sort of a shadow upon his life.

Is level 15 the minimum to equip it? Because that's very, very late.

No, just the rough level of when you can buy it. Most settlements will sell you items equal to your level+1, major settlements will sell you items your level+2 (like absalom station). You can use it at level one if you can find a way to acquire it.

Just ask somebody real nice.

still not great, then. If you're hoping for Gundams, and that power armor is level 15 already...

It's just. how often do we get to play at level 18+?

If we were that pumped for gundams, I wouldn't be surprised if people made a campaign about having mech suits, in which case fuck their suggested acquisition level, we're playing gundams.

Well that is something you can do. With the right connections with certain influential individuals your GM is free to allow you to purchase wildly high level items if need be. Or just ignore level suggestions entirely and sell a level 20 suit of armor to a level 2 scrub that just happened to find a dragon hoard in a random asteroid.

Exactly, do as you please. Me personally, I think gundams will be along the same lines as starships in that they don't have a set price and will be more for story purposes.

And that's how 2 Space Hicks lucked into mechs and entered them in a demolition derby.

No; item level in Starfinder is like caster level on magic items in Pathfinder. it's not a requirement to buy it or use it, just a guideline to the GM for around when it should be available.

if you look at the lowest level general use power armor ( the battle harness), it sets your strength score to 18, which at that point you may have already left behind, meaning it actually reduces your strength rating, though it does provide better AC, and has a pretty kickass battery life of 1 charge/hour.

This is versus Lashunta Ringwear in Heavy Armor, which is cheaper (though not by a huge amount), has somewhat lower armor bonuses, but doesn't take any charge at all to run. The Battle Harness is, as long as you can keep it supplied with energy, better. That seems to be a general trend; the problem is that power armor just doesn't scale up to level 20, and requires maintenance in the form of batteries. If we had a level 20 suit of power armor, I bet I could point it out as being comparable to Vesk Monolith III armor. I imagine we'll get just that when the mech book comes out.

When you try suggesting a cool but suboptimal concept to your group
>OMFG WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT FAGGOT
>Oh god it hurts you're so stupid
>Lol you a dumb cuck

When the popular diva player suggests a cool but suboptimal concept to your group
>OMBG THAT'S SO AWESOME
>Oh god I need your cock inside me
>Lol I love it

When you try suggesting a cool but suboptimal concept to your group
>OMBG THAT'S SO AWESOME
>Oh god I need your cock inside me
>Lol I love it

When the dumb virgin retard in your group suggests a cool but suboptimal concept to your group
>OMFG WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT FAGGOT
>Oh god it hurts you're so stupid
>Lol you a dumb cuck

What do you run for a group that doesn't seem to want to do anything? Nobody seems invested, nobody wants to roleplay, and I'm starting to feel like I might as well just give up and end the campaign. Because my players certainly act like they don't enjoy it, and I'm really not enjoying just running them through a gauntlet of dice and statblocks for the sake of getting told "Man I hate Pathfinder, we should be playing 5e."

I'd like your cocks inside me, Anons. What are your Discords?

Are you in any way surprised that half the people that play RPGs online would turn into sycophantic slobbering yes-men as soon as someone even remotely female OR attractive - since half the group is going to be desperate enough to also want the cock, not because they'd have been actually gay if they weren't this autistic but purely because they are that desperate - appears before them?

Oh and don't point out when the bitch is being several That Guy species all at once if you wanna keep playing. Diva is just begging for something to project onto.

ebin, truly ebin

Nothing. You kill the game and look for a new group.

Tell them to go fuck themselves. You'll be happier without them, and chances are you'll have the last laugh when they realize what they were missing out on.

Friendly reminder that /pgg/ /pfg/ /sfg/ now has a Starfinder Discord cabal here:

discord.gg/YAk263j

Why must you do this, I have a wife and child.

OFFICIAL STARFINDER TIER LIST:

Mid/High Tier 3: Operative
Somewhere in Tier 3: Mystic, Technomancer
Low Tier 3/High Tier 4: Mechanic (drone), Soldier
Low Tier 4/High Tier 5: Mechanic (exocortex), Solarian
Low Tier 5: Envoy

Did I get it right?

Technomancer and Mystic are tier 2.

We don't know that yet, hold your horses.

Also, Soldier might be tier 3, due to having some surprising combat versatility in the form of grenades that do different things.

Soldier is a purely combat class.
It's tier 4 simply by virtue of not having a single out of combat feature.

A few combat tricks doesn't put you into tier 3, bub.

>tier lists tied to old pathfinder definitions
oh just fuck off

>official rules
>using platest creature examples built out of a different ruleset
>don't have any actual; combat rules for Starfinder
>official
You know, you're not only reaching, you're showing your personal bias already. You can't prove any of that shit you just claimed because you don't even have a rule-set to work with.

Which are good picks for a melee paladin with unsanctioned knowledge?

We know how a lot of the combat works and we have First Contact.

Hey pgg, im playing an oradin in my campaign, we have a magus dps and a master summoner, but im not feeling like i contribute much what are my options, i often enjoy support/healer classes, whats a role i can fall into from here?

Sorry if it's been posted already but do we have the chargen rules yet?

First Contact was created by using PF quickgen rules, meaning the math does not match up for SF, as you were told in the other thread.

PF quickgen rules are what Starfinder uses, dummy.

Are solarian blades magical? It isn't written anywhere on the manual

I'm annoyed that Slayer has so few talents that are worthwhile, and so few that modify studied target. Any good 3pp slayer talents, anons?

Still not understanding the logic behind Solarion and Envoy are shit.

Struggling to see how Operative is better than Mystic and Technomancer WHEN WE DON'T HAVE SPELLS.

Any idea when Leakanon should be posting more stuff?

How awful Sniper Rifles are is truly baffling.
They can't full attack, but deal less damage per shot than Longarms, which can full attack, all while requiring a less common weapon proficiency than Longarms.
If that wasn't enough, the class support for Sniper Rifles makes even less sense:
The Soldier Combat Style designed for Sniper Rifles (Sharpshoot) has half its' features work only on full attacks, which Sniper Rifles CAN'T do, meaning the Combat Style meant for Sniper Rifles doesn't actually work with Sniper Rifles.
Operative support is even worse - you never get any way to add Trick Attack damage to them, so you're stuck with a really bad parody of a Longarm to which you can't even add most of your class features. To rub salt in the wound, you can only knock people unconscious with it at high levels, but not actually kill them. All while you get far more damage out of Small Arms thanks to your class features actually working with them.
The only advantage Sniper Rifles get for all this nonsense is high range, which is extremely situational, and likely will never come up in an AP because AP's are written with the intent to allow everyone, including melee characters, to participate in all important action.
To make the whole ordeal even more humiliating, unless you spend a move action to aim, Sniper Rifles typically have lower range than Longarms.

bumpo?

Yeah I was talking to my friend before the info came out that if they have a range of over 500' they're basically never going to be used because... well guess what No one can tactical combat that shit and that will be 0 fun for every other class.

That and Well fuck me Operative the class that gets the proficiency by default has like you said jack shit they do with snipers.

Their main purpose seem to be shooting from very long distances, in which case the safety of laying hidden at a vantage point, while still able to attack, is the main benefit. Sharpshoot style is probably expected to use other weapons for closer encounters, where you don't have the benefit of being hundreds (sometimes thousands) of feet away from harm.

>Their main purpose seem to be shooting from very long distances, in which case the safety of laying hidden at a vantage point, while still able to attack
Name one Pathfinder AP when you can meaningfully snipe with a longbow from 200-300ft away.

about to enter in a jade regent game, what are good ideas andnwhat should I avoid for this AP?

Jade Regeant

In which book?

Book 2. A boat full of vikings will aproach the party to attack from like I think a couple of hundred feet away. Very early in the book.

Any one that deals with open areas or outdoors flying opponents. Did it plenty in Crimson Throne. Stupid "name one" challenges aside, any game with friends where things other than dungeons happen. Can easily see in Starfinder situations arise in cities or other places where you can make a sniper situation happen if you wanted, possibly when setting up an assassination or a meeting with enemies.

Anyway, specializing in snipers as your go-to weapon is definitely dead in the water. It's niche and I can see how that disappoints some.

I mean, snipers are specialized tools, you shouldn't be basing your entire build around them but knowing your way around one is good. If you need to assassinate some low-health Aristocrat, for example.

Fuck that man, name campaigns you've played that have had at least half the characters melee or close range where you've been able to actually use a longbow at range increments past 1 more than rarely.

I have a player who had luring cavalier for the longest time and loved careful aim for the few rare situations... thing is though between level 3-9 [retrained out of it after that] he probably only used it... maybe 6-7 turns in combat total. There were a few situations out of combat where it came in handy but other than that yeah...

Honestly if your players are expecting tactical combat not theater of the mind you can usually say goodbye to most long range things.

At the very least I doubt paizo will go very long before a splat comes out to make snipers at least function with the features of classes that are proficient in them. Operative alone can't possibly go long before someone demands the not!sneak attack can be applied, probably with some special scope attachment.

Might as well just not be proficient with it at that rate or be a soldier with long arms because they're basically better except at extreme range.

Trick attack can be applied, you just have to grab that trick attack exploit or whatever. That said it's generally not that helpful.

>Trick attack can be applied
Nope. Only Debilitations, not the base Trick Attack itself.

I'm playing a 2hander Chosen One in a Hells Rebels game atm, I can give you some help if you'd like it.

I went with:

1. Vanish
2. Alter Self (GM houseruled it to have a hours long duration, so hella good for disguises)
3. Aura of the Unremarkable
4. Dimension Door

Now I was wanting some more versatility to my character so I could help with investigation and sneaking around, but if on the other hand, you wanted straight up combat buffs.... Maybe ask your GM if you can take Divine Sacrifice from 3.5? It's a first level spell, you get an additional 1d6 of damage on your first attack per turn for each 2 hp you burn, up to 5d6.

>Leakanon posting SF kept the thread relatively on-topic
>Someone wants to split back into two threads
Time to fall back into celeb posting

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa did you forget to throw out the night tea?

Just be glad there's a Starfinder Discord now:

discord.gg/YAk263j

There's not a lot of choices that are actively "bad" in Jade Regent. You can do pretty well as a variety of character types

why the fuck do we need more discords, it's just going to be the same people spreading the same copypasted discussions over multiple servers

Because the discord fags get off on people in the generals complaining about their "cabal". I bet they're the ones who decided to split the threads just to shit on people who aren't in their little club.

Which of the Ensoulment heroes have fucked yet?

I heard Derrin fucked a farmboy

I thought she was a lesbian?!

The new Discord was made by 2hu who got banned from the old one.