media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
What's the best thing you can fight in a city's streets?

Other urls found in this thread:

lisa-rpg.wikia.com/wiki/Withdrawal#Withdrawal
twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/859555831808892928
twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/871071659825872896
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Giants.
It's just like fighting a human but huge, so the environment can be used and come into play in ways that normally you do not associate with street fights.

A cult that's attempting a hostile takeover of the city. While playing as a city guard.

Eren pls go

Anything that isn't assassins or thugs. It's always assassins or thugs.

A evocation wizard whos also a serial killer whos quite fond of Glyph of Warding

The predator from Predator 2.

My character in an upcoming campaign is an octogenarian Rogue with a "live like you were dying (because you are)" attitude.

Should I do as the PHB suggests and dump STR and CON, and even trim DEX just a bit, to reflect his old age? Or would that be going too far for the sake of roleplay?

Giant alligator crawling out of the sewer.
Swarm of pigeons.
A pickpocket that must be chased through crowds and over rooftops to confront.

There's more art of that one tiefling lady? Why does she look surprised her hand is on fire?

Also, what is that guy with the spiked club in the background doing? And who is fighting whom?

>Wait a second... this isn't the Mage Armor sp-OH SHIT

First time she rolled 7-8 on wild magic and she has no idea what's coming up next

How do I go about making custom background? I want to make Half-Orc Barb of Ancestral Guardian. I'm thinking of giving him ability to reroll wisdom or intelligence ability checks twice/thrice a day accepting second result, as in he asks spirits for advice. He still would most likely dump those two (maybe get something in wis, though there's dex, con and str), and it's for non-combat only, so it wouldn't be that bad, right?

Would the Monster Hunter Fighter archetype from Gothic Heroes work for a Simon Belmont type character?

Backgrounds shouldn't affect rolls. It would be something more along the lines of 'You can spend [amount of time] doing a ritual to commune with spirits of your ancestors for advice'
I'd imagine it would work like the sage background. Sometimes you get info, sometimes you don't.

Ancestral Guardian used to have this as a level 10 ability. Advantage on an Int or Wis check 3 times a day. It was replaced by a free Clairvoyance spell once per short rest. If you want it to be a background feature I'd probably cut it down to once per day and do what you said where he has to take the second roll even if it is worse.

Yeah, if you wanted. There's a Monster Slayer Ranger archetype also that might work better for you.

I have a feeling that's literally what it's for.

>There's more art of that one tiefling lady?
Watch, this "Brimstone Angel" asshole is going to be the next Drizz't

Kay, so one per day is more in line. Yeah, accepting reroll works as downside and fluff-wise (he has no reason to doubt spirits).
Make it proficiency? I'm brainstorming for ideas to give him some help in peaceful interactions.

I've never played either. What's the difference between them?

A bulette.

Its burrowing gives it the sneakiness of Its maw gives it the crushing power of People can worship it bringing into the mix
And of course as it moves in three dimensions and can leap it brings environmental elements that thinks about.

You already get two proficiencies from a background. You should get;
>2 skills
>2 languages or tools, 1 of each, or 1 exotic language
>A ribbon ability of a similar level to other backgrounds

Anyone play Lisa the Painful RPG? How would you stat this drug?

Well I suppose they can't stop until they make an entire party of edgelords.

Predictions for today's disappointment?

Guessing something pointless like UA- Alternative AC, which is 9 times more complicated than normal while also still managing to be objectively shittier.

You know it's coming, user.

Would be better than last months

I did
If you want to make it like the RPG just make it so it fully heals the user and makes any damage they deal doubled for a minute or so.
Once you take it and you die, you instead turn into a joy mutant that attacks everyone near by.

Wouldn't even be mad. More reason to know what the local cuisine is like. You can put a lot into a setting just from the food that's available and how it's prepared.

Would you make it auto crits on a hit or just double damage? What about Withdrawl symptoms?

At least it'd be fucking used, grey hawk initiative is unneeded because regular initiative makes enough sense.

>Never do more than 2 combats per session because it just eats too much of session time
>Local DMs hate him: See how this Aasimar Vengeance Paladin destroys everything!

I don't want to ruin the experience for him, but I've had a lot of trouble finding ways to challenge the party in combat because he has such a powerful presence in non-multiple combat scenarios.

Have you considered not always ending the session with a long rest?

Does every session end with a long rest or something? My last 3 sessions have had 2 short rests and no long rests, all in the same dungeon

You can crit while under the effects of joy in Lisa the Joyful, so just double damage.
>withdrawal
Oh god, withdrawal is incredibly nasty in painful
>lisa-rpg.wikia.com/wiki/Withdrawal#Withdrawal
>Attack - 90%. Defence - 50%. Agility - 60%. Max HP - 30%. Luck - 30%. Evasion - 60%. Agility - 1. Hit Rate - 80%.
It would fuck with their hit point maximum, AC (if using unarmored/light/medium armor), to hit, damage, saves, and initiative.
You could probably make it so it's like having 4 levels of exhaustion, which is
>disadvantage on ability checks
>speed halved
>disadvantage on attack rolls+saves
>hit point maximum halved
Add on all saves you force targets to make are made with advantage because unfocused, maybe make it so HP maximum is just reduced to 66% instead of the full 50%, and advantage on attack rolls against the consumer,

Also buff joy a little more, make it so it gives AC/Save bonuses because that's what it does in game apparently.

They do mostly the same thing. I like the Ranger more for the aesthetic. Favored Enemy bonuses and such.

Okay, this is great! Thanks.

Wanna play an immortal mystic obsessed with the pursuit of physical mental and martial perfection.

Okay.

Thanks for letting us know.

No. You will play a wizard and you will like it.

That's nice.

One Human Monk with 14 in every stat coming right up.

Knowledge of burial customs and related stuff? Character knows if a grave has been desecrated, how long someone has been dead, how to properly bury someone (how would that work with different cultures though?) Background would be a social/spiritual leader in tribal society. I guess Religion proficiency would work best for the spiritual side?
I can always just try to talk GM into free reroll as a path feature. We already have Gunslinger who may take Vampire for multiclassing.

Is there a God/Goddess related to or has ideals in purity/virginity?

Virginity is a sexist social construct and has no place in modern DnD.

Also on the subject of Ancestral Barb, someone mentioned to me in some thread that Ancestral perks apply to you too, not just to your allies, but there's no wording to support that. So who's right?

Jesus.

Spirit Shield and Vengeful Ancestors does, but Protectors doesn't.

Yeah, those two. Was it answered somewhere?

>If you are raging and a creature you can see within 30 feet of you takes damage
You are a creature you can see within 30 feet of you.
twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/859555831808892928

Go back to /leftypol/ you cuck

Of the standard races from the PH, which ones make most sense as druids, which ones make least?

Thanks.

Sense mechanically for thematically?

>Most
Human

>Least
Human

Learn to reconize when someone is being facetious, man.

So, which other archetypes are confirmed for XGE?

>cavalier
>inquisitive
>the horizon walker
>circle of dreams
>ancestral guardian

I have a story of salt I would like to share

>playing token human deep stalker covenant ranger with a dragonborn fighter, half elf favored soul, and tiefling warlock
>fighter is bitching that he is a level behind he is lvl 6 and everyone else is 7 because he missed a session and gave nobody his character sheet
>quest to go in a cave to do adventuring things
>fighter keeps bitching that every creature targets him as he does battle master goading attack on everything in sight and complains that he gets hit with an AC of 17 he's using a greatsword with scale mail at 14 dex
>get where we need with no difficulty and the DM decides to throw a Behir guarding the treasure
>instantly 1 rounds the warlock who was slightly injured and the fact we are still lvl 7
>go on my initiative and get in good dmg
>fighter keeps moaning that this thing will hit him regardless of anything
>fighter gets swallowed and starts to attack from within thinking he can use his charger feat and greatsword without disadvantage
>ends up going unconscious with me and favored soul managing to finish it off at about half hp each
>only 1 diamond for revify available but the warlock player tells us to use it on the fighter as he was in the midst of making a new character anyways
>fighter metagames and says to let him die and tells everyone it is bullshit that a "tank" character should get hit and ragequits

>Shitty version of battlemaster makes it into the new splat
>Knight with it's marking mechanics doesn't
Feels bad man

>edgelords
Yeah, I don't think you understand what this word means.

>and ragequits
the best possible outcome.

How can they make Horizon walker better or cooler? Personally i think the third attack could be a lvl 7 feature, you need three enemies and cant nova with it anyway.

Anyone have suggestions for how to run a centaur ambush in the middle of a forest?

I think it will be there user, maybe we even get a revision today

something something horsecock something something rape

this

We know cavalier is in. We can guess arcane archer is too. We can guess Sharpshooter isn't, since it was least liked. That leaves room for at least one more.

Thematically.

Best: Wood Elf
Worst: Tiefling

>Worst: Tiefling
Well they have horns already.

My current game will be going on hiatus soon due to the DM's schedule and one of the other players will be starting a new game in the same universe. I'm hoping to do something different from the kind of things I would typically gravitate towards. Currently leaning towards a Warlock (Great Old One patron/Tome Pact), but I don't want to go the Cthulu/insane dude route with this. Any suggestions? Will probably end up using a Human (Variant) or Half-Elf as I'm only really familiar with the PHB stuff. Are there other races out there that may fit well for this?

Also curious: Does the creature I communicate with via the Awakened Mind feature know it's me?

Protip: Ctrl + S for spoilers

Ya fucked it up again, senpai.
Use ctrl+s

Storm Ranger and Forge Cleric

I did, that's what my phone gave me

Yeah, but Tiefling horns are abyssal in origin.

Trying this one last time to se if reconfiguring gets my shit together

I don't even want answers any more I want a successful spoiler text post

I'm running Curse of Strahd, having already read all the module and then some , and I'm looking for advice.

One of things I could use advice on is how to manage the big number of factions that are in play, and how they interact in the background

We have thus far:
Strahd and the whole of Ravenloft
The Werewolves

Madam Eva and her tribe of Manosa Vistani
Arrugal and his tribe of Boem Vistani

The Druids and the Wildmen

The ArcanaLoth and Baba Lysaga

The Bone grinder Coven

The Wachter Estate

The League of Burgomasters

The Order of the Feather

The Abbey of Saint Markovia

The Dusk Elves

And then the free agents like Exenthar Esmeralda and Van Richten

How do I juggle all this shit? I want to have the valley really feel like a living organism

Where is forge cleric confirmed? I hope it isn't, it's awfully boring

Mike Mearls confirmed in an interview on YouTube.

It's okay, crafty Cleric with fire shit, like the light Cleric only more armored and a little less radiant

You know it's one of the most liked UA, right?

All you really need is a motive. Family farm being taken over by evil landlords, son of farmer seeks power to prevent this. Dickhead thief that just wants to make it easier to steal more and more expensive things. Got locked up for some reason and need more power to escape. Maybe you're just that "crazy old man" in town whose house the kids run past and years upon years of it has pissed you off to the point where you want there to be a reason for people to be scared.

A friend of mine likes to use a single word as the starting point of a short-term character. Pride. Spite. Revenge. Freedom. Boredom. Curiosity. So on and so forth. It works quite well for him.

>Storm Ranger
wat

Forge Cleric is fun as hell, I don't know what you are talking about.

I like forge cleric. It's a melee version of light cleric with fun spells like heat metal and fabricate.

Variant tiefling from SCAG can have
>Small horns; fangs or sharp teeth; a forked tongue; catlike eyes; six fingers on each hand
>Goatlike legs; cloven hoofs; a forked tail; leathery or scaly skin; red or dark blue skin; no shadow or reflection; or the faint smell of brimstone

I've always kinda wanted to make a Tiefling with small horns, and goat legs who just passes themself off as a satyr.

The way one wise user put it once, each faction should have a "face" that players interact with on regular basis. Sure, the Keepers of the Feather are supposedly a large faction, but most of the time, players will only interact with Muriel Vinshaw, and the rest is mostly in the background.

New unearthed Arcana when?

I'm not wanting to get into the "is it evil" argument but I would like to know if playing a necromancer in 5e is worth it.

I read the animate dead spell and it sounds like I'm stuck making skeles and zombies. Is there a way to make more interesting undead?

- Dude playing 5e for first time

Storm Rager.my its a barbarian. my bad

Oh hey, one of the players in my game is using that for character art. I call him the most adorable little hellspawn.

Soon, it's only but just after 10am on the west coast.

The D&D team is likely just finishing morning meetings if not still in them and the office is taking a slow start to tasks as people are finishing their first or second cup of office coffee.

Greg and Shelley are likely finalizing this afternoon's guests for Dragon Talk. Mearls is likely glancing through his houserules for 5E and wondering which he should use for next month's UA before he just tries to pitch the whole of it as Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Next to the rest of the team.

Meanwhile someone is laying out that UA document and preparing it for the webmaster or their lowly and lonely intern to upload it to our clawing gnashing eyes. That we may descend upon it in simultaneous praise, critique, and complaint.

Don't.

I need some ideas for using old gods in my campaign. I'm planning on busting them out in the very end of a long series of campaigns (my group will be level 20 at this point) but I don't know what their motivation for coming into the material realm would be. Long story short the main villain wants to summon them to fuck everyone over because hes chaotic evil (was a former PC, GOOlock to be exact) and hates everything now but I can't think of what goals the old gods are really after

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/871071659825872896
>In Xanathar's Guide, each class gets 2 or more subclasses. The wizard gets 1.
Barbarian: Ancestral and probably Zealot. I don't think Storm Herald tested well as cool as it was.
Cleric: Forge
Druid: Shepherd and Dreams
Fighter: Cavalier and Arcane Archer
Monk: Kensei.
Rogue: Inquisitive
Sorcerer: Favored Soul
Warlock: Celestial

Eloquent. I eagerly await to chew this new thing with my eyes.

Also, Glorious WotC needs to maintain a proper workman's schedule: 5 AM to 6PM. Central Standard Time

I have a house rule with my necromancer player that a la Conjure Animals, Animate Dead may combine CRs for diferent, more powerful Zombies, or divide then in order to make more numerous groups.

Because he DM's as well, I don't have to worry about fucking with the turn order forever

Are you ready?

Eloquent, but you know Mike is furiously typing up the UA, day of, as is customary, and they don't have interns.