So how does this card work in real life?

So how does this card work in real life?

Can I just take my time and go through his deck very carefully and slowly memorizing everything he has in game 1, and then bringing in 4 of these in game 2 and just exile everything?

Sure, provided you memorized fast enough to avoid getting dinged for slow play.

Or rather, you could try it, but you would lose because it's a shit strategy.

You're allowed to write down the names of cards while you're searching. No tedious memorization necessary. Shit, I'd just start writing shit down and figure out what to exile later.

writing down the entire decklist is going to cause problems unless you can do it extremely quickly

>writing down the entire decklist is going to cause problems unless you can do it extremely quickly

The way they do it in actual tournaments is shorthand and abbreviations (like writing "FP" for Fatal Push and so on).

>Can I just take my time and go through his deck very carefully and slowly

No, slow play is against the rules. You ARE allowed to write down his entire deck, and most people do in tournaments, but you have be quick about it or it's judged as stalling.

Also
>then bringing in 4 of these in game 2 and just exile everything
is poor strategy, the purpose of LL is to surgically remove one key card that your opponent's deck hinges on like Ulamog from Marvel or whatever. It's a bad card against decks that don't rely on any single specific card to work.

Maybe it's just because I've always been a casual kitchen sink player, but that seems kind of shitty. Then again, I am discussing competitive Magic.

But note taking is explicitly allowed, and you're silly for not doing it when misremembering your opponent's revealed hand could cause you the game (for example)

And let's be honest, most decks are a bunch of 4-ofs so you need to write down 9-10 cards, of which most will probably be a staple of that deck anyway

Still seems like it takes any actual skill out of the game.

More like you're going through motions than playing a game. But I guess some people decide to do this as a way to gain fame and money which is a whole other can of worms.

>remembering is skill
I've got just the game for you

Skill is sequencing the best course of action, choosing the correct cards to take out of the enemy's deck at the right time, not misremembering their cards and naming a card not in their deck

Knowing opponent's decklist actually increases skill component in the game because it lets you play around specific cards. What it does reduce is bluffing, but bluffing isn't a huge part of Magic anyway.

In Pro Tours I believe after the first day they just tell every player every other player's decklists (including sideboards), and it's not like Pro Tour is a low skill environment.

I disagree, I think knowing each other's decklists increases bluffing because keeping up a specific number of mana is much more menacing if you know the opponent is actually playing a spell that fucks you over with that manacost

>88
what kind of jestercap bullshit is this....1?!

Not at all.

By knowing their decklist, or vice versa, or both, you both start engaging in a much much deeper level of skill. Playing without knowing their deck is a lot like throwing darts blindfolded. Knowing decklists causes you to plan many steps ahead - and they will be doing the same. Even if one person knows the other decklist and not vice versa, it still can help the person who doesn't know. Because then that person is going to start playing in a way to make it difficult to know what's coming.

Good players will already have a really good idea on what's in their opponent's deck by turn 3-4 anyway, if not sooner. And so this level of mindgames starts happening at the pro level without the need for an actual hand/deck check card. If you're at the level where you don't have every deck memorized, then you would be hurting yourself by not playing these cards. Imo.

>that player draws a card for every card exiled this way

it's balanced. the only way that card is busted is if you are lucky enough to take their best card(s) right out of their hand, and knowing it's in their hand stakes skill and luck. Or because they had to reveal their hand earlier. In which case, you have a lot of "look at your opponent's hand" shit, and not enough "do actual damage" stuff.

hopefully you'll know what kind of deck is that and what are the key cards worth removing.
for each deck there are at most 2-3 cards that are correct to remove and it should be pretty easy to understand what they are.

>Can I just take my time and go through his deck very carefully and slowly memorizing everything he has in game 1, and then bringing in 4 of these in game 2 and just exile everything?

Yes. But ask yourself this, why would you bring in 4 of these cards game 2 onwards to try and remove their entire deck? You would have to spend 4 turns from turn 3 onwards trying to remove this stuff. In that meantime your opponent may have played a bunch of stuff on to the board and then just bashed you in the face enough times for lethal.

This type of card is more of a catch-all answer to removing key cards that are a pivotal focus of a deck and not about trying to remove everything.

>Balanced

It's a Black MTG card so it's not supposed to be balanced, it's supposed to be one sided and harsh. They're not really supposed to get "compensated" for their loss, that's more of the domain of White and sometimes Blue cards in general to provide compensation of sorts for things destroyed/taken/removed.

>They're not really supposed to get "compensated" for their loss
>that player draws a card for every card exiled this way

iuno man you should take up your argument with WotC

I'm aware of what the card says.

I am just saying that when they printed Infinite Obliteration in the past and Dispossess as of recent times without the same clause which is more in line of what classic Black does, Lost Legacy just seems like a poorly designed card just to spare hurt feelings.

Instead of writing stuff down, would it not be easier to just dictate notes to a smartphone or even an old tape recorder?

It's because it can hit so many targets at three mana.
Dispossess only hits artifacts. Infinite Obliteration only hits creatures. Cranial Extraction/Memoricide cost 4 mana. Extirpate requires the thing you're hitting already be in the graveyard.
In all fairness Lost Legacy could probably go without the artifact rider as well as the draw drawback, but it was also an artifact block and wizards didn't want their precious artifacts getting ripped from people's hands

target yourself and draw four cards for 1bb

I just leave my exposed hand on the table when they cast any card. Easier for both of us and it's not like he doesn't deserve the info.