Flames of War: Soviets are Cool now edition

>inb4 soviet complaint rush

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

DISCORD
discord.gg/drZbxvm

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Do you play TANKS? what is the local scene / meta like? (multi)
strawpoll.me/12127794/r

Soviet Brainstorming Batalon Discord
discord.gg/BfbxDSp

imgur.com/gallery/csesM stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ
1.bp.blogspot.com/-L-sNqMUYY-A/WYrIX9L5BGI/AAAAAAAAB_Y/eWvU0_5AurgW96UMQi3c0cbOb525nagtACLcBGAs/s1600/arp3.tiff
bel-podcast.blogspot.co.nz/2017/08/review-fighting-first-us-forces-in.html
youtube.com/watch?v=876tE_sgspM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Zvezda KTs make me kinda tempted to do one of the B@R KT lists, but then I remember I need support and that those support models are only in metal. Someone needs to make some plastic 1/100 german leftovers with panzerfausts, 2cms, and nebs.

The tracks have nothing on Battlefront's version which are pretty well detailed. I really like the box of three KTs each of which is a separate sculpt.

Remember to think about VALUE before you buy PSC tanks

Does anybody have scans of the TANKS rulebook? I'm interested in trying it with the minis I already have.

I do, and that's why I buy.

Also holy shit I fucking love this kit. If it was the Mk I carrier I don't think I could stop myself from making an EW divisional cavalry squadron.

shit im a dumbass, i found them. is there a collection of the expansion cards?

SHOW ME YOUR BEST FOW MEMES!

I was going to buy PSC tanks, but then I thought about the great customer service I get from Battlefront on their official forums. That's value PSC can't match!

>flames of war thread
>people bitch about the rules
>people bitch about the minis
>people bitch about the community
Why does this thread exist?

Because we contain ourselves to one thread unlike 40k which spreads itself out over the board.

You have to really love something to bitch about it constantly.

Then why did my wife leave me?

Yep, standard issue edition war.
Not really, we're just riding the fresh memes.
As is true of all games (with more than 5 people playing).

You probably just grew apart, these things happen

*loud patriotic screaming*

Soviets are cool "now" edition? was there ever a point they weren't?

We just had a new edition release, and there are some vocal people who highly dislike it.

And even those that do like it have to admit the complainers have some valid points.

Not all the minis. Just things like the T-55 massive spam tank for the Cold War game being made in overpriced resin, especially since a competitor now makes them for half the price in plastic.

Also, we love bitching about the new formula "bendy plastic" infantry that Battlefront has put out and their lack of face details.

Not that anyone ever really pays attention to the faces of 15mm infantry figures halfway across the table...

The official forums are crap, the lead game designer is horrible at public relations, and the most civil place to discuss the game is somehow Veeky Forums of all fucking places... so yeah, we bitch about the community.

>Why does this thread exist?
To talk about the rules, the miniatures, the idiotic official forum posts, to answer rules and army building questions, and to generally just discuss the game and the history it is based on.

Only a true fan knows how to **really** complain about something.

Like how Star Wars fans absolutely love to hate on the prequel movies.

[insert 3 paragraphs about a half remembered economics course I took for a semester 20 years ago]

Soviets have wavered in power levels previously. Around the time we were switching from V2 to V3 it was discovered that Soviets were actually paying a premium on Hen and Chicks tanks, making the cost more per tank to be worse at moving around. Plus Heroes didn't exist yet so you could only have CT/FT with H&C or CT/FT without Hen and Chicks.

Then we got Hero lists from Desperate Measures and Berlin, T-34s in late war dropped in price to compensate for H&C, Barbarossa was released where the Soviets proceeded to destroy the balance of the entire era, and then V4 made H&C not as bad as it used to be, allowed for hitting on a 7 and 8, and made Heroes from a "Maybe consider" for most players, to a "Strongly Consider" for a lot of players.

oh good you found it

Holy fuck what is this dipshits issue? Warren is his name? Holy fuck how can someone be such a disinterested asshole and shit all over the history part of historical wargaimg even with Mr Skeltal there as a guest to help him.

Who the hell let this guy cover historics?

They've always been extremely bland and difficult to build around from a historical standpoint. The difference is that now every army is clearly intended to be like that, just like the olden days.

Warren needs to choke on his pewter werewolf cocks.

He is more or less the face of their YouTube channel. He's in almost everything they do.

What I find most "entertaining" for lack of a better word, is how you can see the visible frustration in the eyes of the scrawny Doctor Who look-alike they have teaching him the game. The wordless cry of "why am I even bothering" poring off of him as he tries to teach this oaf who actively despises history how to play a historical war game.

Call me evil if you must, but there is a certain schadenfreude in watching him try to get Warren to understand the game and the history.

Thankfully he's kinda stepped away from their historicals coverage, although he did seem more reigned-in during their 4th Ed launch coverage.

> #
Holy fuck what is this dipshits issue? Soft Plastic is his name? Holy fuck how can someone be such a bendy asshole and shit all over the having-a-face part of historical miniatures even with Mr Skeltal there as a guest to help him.

Who the hell let this guy order infantries?

Holy fuck what is this dipshits issue? Loader is his name? Holy fuck how can someone be such a disinterested asshole and shit all over the loading part of the Rheinmetall 120mm smoothboore even with Mr Pointy there as a guest to help him. "Oh let me shoot this pussy machine gun instead of loading commie-piercing SABOT into our massive cannon."

Who the hell let this guy into the Leopard 2?

MY SIDES ARE MOVING ON THEIR OWN

I watched their Kingdom Death video, he's way more tolerable in that.

HiRes pics of all the above exist, just FYI....

yes. queue discussion of past soviet player complaints.

nice pic. i like those things.

what is the chance that the Dr Who wannabee took it in the ass at some point in his life? maybe even consentedly? he seems to radiate West Essex rape victim. just saying.

oh, someone is meme-ing hard.
thanks for the bumps, mein ubermensch

>Warren masturbating to Kingdom Death
What a surprise.

>image

Judging by the box art, are the plastic WarPac infantry seem like they will be in hard plastic. Has anyone heard otherwise?

I can never stay angry at fow with you shits around

> All criticism is bitching

I work at flgs.
I report as soon as soon as we get shipment.
the fire rises

They look exactly like the metal infantry. I suspect they're just using the metal models as a temp cover/images

> those two

I know one shouldn't judge on appearance but jesus christ one looks like he walked straight out of Belzec and the other is a fat shit.

God Beasts of War is such a terrible site and community.

I was mainly going off the sprue pic where it says all plastic. Looks like like the traditional hard plastic sprue. I know it's likely that means nothing.

Can confirm from the FOW forum and JP's comment: they're using pics of the old metals as they have none of the plastics (which will probably be ABS crap).

bamp for novaya russia

Okay, seriously, why are we speculating about such things?

He just seems like your stereotypical low charisma nerd to me. *shrug*

>Kingdom Death

The game famous for one specific creepy hentai model? Why does that not surprise me?

I know I'm in the minority here, but I can live with the non-existent faces as long as the weapon and uniform detail was still decent.

I'm looking at my troops from above and behind anyways, so it's not like I'm actually going to be looking at their faces during game play.

>All criticism is bitching

Some of it is legitimate. Even I'll admit that. And I enjoy 4th Ed.

But when it is unending and repetitive, to the point of it almost being copypasta... I think bitching can be an fair description.

Cool Red Alert fan art.

Soviets were never cool and never will be. They were so poor, they literally put up posters telling parents not to eat their children.

post the better version

> this is what people actually believe

>I can live with the non-existent faces as long as the weapon and uniform detail was still decent.
>I'm looking at my troops from above and behind anyways, so it's not like I'm actually going to be looking at their faces during game play.

Well, you're not wrong. You're usually not looking at the faces of your figures while playing the game.

But it still feels like a significant dip in quality just to try out a new manufacturing technique.

>I know I'm in the minority here, but I can live with the non-existent faces as long as the weapon and uniform detail was still decent.
It's not, though. They look like the old, shit PSC models.

You CAN make those look good, and I suspect the same is probably true of the ABS ones, but it's a really low-quality product.

New to FoW been following the game since v1 but never had the money to buy or play until now. I am building a late war german army. I picked up Ramch's charge as a starter set to build a basic panzerkompanie with. Any tips for me?

But we've seen good paint jobs on PSC's stuff, in the previous thread even, although I didn't save the picture.

I'm not claiming that they're as good as BF's metals or hard plastics.

And I'm certainly not crazy about BF's Bendy Plastic.

But when I look at my 15mm infantry, from above and from several feet behind, I'm not looking at their faces.

I'm looking at the uniform and the weaponry.

That's mostly what I personally care about.

Remind me, Ramsch's Charge is the German box with Panzer IV Hs, StuGs, and infantry in half-tracks, right?

It's a solid starter collection, and long out of production.

Nice find!

Yup panzer IV Hs, StuG, and panzergrenadier with half tracks, I also have a seperate panzergrenadier Lehr division that can be fielded with this also two 8.8 CM artillery pieces

Also yeah it was my local game store happened to have it in stock, I was looking for Rommel's wolves but I didn't want so many Panthers

Yeah, Rommel's wolves overloads you on the Panthers.

It's kind of a flaw of that series of box sets. The US one overloaded you on Pershings, the Soviet one had far too many IS-2s, and the British one had too many heavy tanks as well.

That sounds like a solid core for your list.

Do you have an army book yet? Something like Grey Wolf would be a nice start. It covers German forces on the Eastern front in 1944.

Also, the Version 4 Rule book for Early and Late War is a must. As is the conversion guide booklet for updating Version 3 books to the Version 4 rules.

Didn't the British one come with a bunch of Comets?

Also - can anyone make some suggestions for transporting FoW stuff? Right now I'm using a poorly-rigged plastic tub and it's real ghetto.

Yeah so I have a V4 rule book and conversion guide, basing my company from grey wolf, forgot to add that I have some panzerspahs and pak wagons for recon

I second this; I need a good carrier case as well

Feldherr makes nice fow foam and carry cases.

Psc troops look just fine on the board. I think bf plastics will look fine too.
I'm more worried about the rumored elastic qualities.

>and the British one had too many heavy tanks as well.
>Comets
>heavy tanks
It's not 1940, Eagles. A ~30 ton tank isn't heavy.

They are overpointed and hard to use right, but they're not heavy tanks.

My mistake. I'm less knowledgeable about the Brits than I should be.

I remembered it was overpriced and difficult to use, and that combination usually means the unit in question is a heavy tank.

Yeah, they're overcosted because they're fast, yet have an SIDF that requires them to stand still to use. They pay full points for both. Front armor 7 instead of 6 is kinda nice, but mostly irrelevant against LW dedicated AT weaponry anyway. That upped the cost some more. And the AT 14 gun is decent, and has HE, but...

Well, the Challenger, at CV, is 1 less front armor, one more AT, one more ROF, no HE, and has overloaded. And it costs less points. The challenger isn't OP, but that it's so much better for actual gameplay than the comet that costs the same shows the real problem with the comet: It's fast, it's meh tough, and it does everything ok. And all those somehow add up to a points cost that is well above what it should be.

/NVA/
youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ

I'm talking about in fow man seeming this is a fow thread. Soviets are cool as fuck in game. real life Russia was only somewhat shitty at best.

fair enough I guess. game was pretty new last time I playd and even then red army was just mean

LOL XD CHEEK BREEKI AMIRITE COMRADE? LET'S CRUSH THOSE CAPITALISTS WHILE WE DRINK OUR VODKA HAHA

I agree with the latter one.
Communism lives on today as a farce.

Holy fuck what is this dipshits issue? Warren is his name? Holy fuck how can someone be such a disinterested asshole and shit all over the history part of historical wargaming even with Mr Skeltal there as a guest to help him.

Who the hell let this guy cover historics?

The tank was attached to a glider, so if that counts then so does this adorable example of British/American cooperation.

So how do we make America great again? (In Team Yankee)

Missile AA?
Humvees?
Bradleys?
M60s?
M1A1s?

Other suggestions?

Hummers with missile AA clearly.

M60s with pintle mounted humvees

Any and all of the things you mentioned would be useful.

Missile AA is something the US lacks, and the VADS is noticeably lacking when compared the Shilka and the Gepard.

Give the US access to Redeye teams like the West Germans (who do you think the Wessies purchased them from?) or perhaps even the Chaparral.

Humvees would be good as a light recon element for the US. Maybe give them a small transport capacity, a .50 cal or the option to take a missile launcher and they're golden.

The Bradley is the BMP or Marder equivalent that the US needs. A transport with a powerful cannon and missile capabilities. Not that the M113 is bad, but it's a metal box with a .50 cal.

M60 Pattons, or even M48 Pattons(a few late model up-gunned versions were still in service along side the M60 in the mid 80s) are a lighter MBT option that would give the US something that pretty much only the Warsaw Pact and West Germany have, a powerful but cheap tank.

M1s are good, but at 8 points a pop, they're expensive to take along just to knock out the thin armor of stuff like a T-55 or BMP horde.

As for the M1A1, it would be on par with, if not surpassing, the Leopard 2 in terms or armor and armaments. It would be an expensive tank to field(I'm guessing between 11 and 13 points a pop) but it would probably be a solid tank for fighting the T-64, even if it would be significant overkill against T-72s, T-55s, and BMPs.

Also, the US has no rocket artillery unit. Give them the M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System. The MLRS was in service starting in the early 80s, and images of them launching barrages were an iconic part of Operation Desert Storm in 1990. Surely they would have seen action if the Cold War went hot.

The Behind Enemy Lines podcast page has leaked some points cost for some of the US units in Fighting First.

>Sherman 8 points per tanks. 1-2 HQ. Platoons of 3-5
>Lee same deal but 5 points per tank. The long 75mm upgrade is 1 point per tank.
>Stuart, reportedly 2 points per tank.
I am calling bullshit on this one since the British variant is 5 points for 3 and 7 points for 4.
Check out the rest here : 1.bp.blogspot.com/-L-sNqMUYY-A/WYrIX9L5BGI/AAAAAAAAB_Y/eWvU0_5AurgW96UMQi3c0cbOb525nagtACLcBGAs/s1600/arp3.tiff

Fug bad link

bel-podcast.blogspot.co.nz/2017/08/review-fighting-first-us-forces-in.html

Prism Tanks
Tanya
The Chronosphere

Sounds too fun for the average grog.

>Army's

Don't tempt me. The original Red Alert and Red Alert 2 were some of my favorite RTS games.

/USSR/
youtube.com/watch?v=876tE_sgspM

An excellent write up. It's tempting me to collect a Mid-War US force.

Same. I'm just worried about it being a burger festival since the other 2 MW options are a little lacking.

The Germans are also appealing to me, but I worry about the British.

The US has incredibly similar tanks, plus the Sherman and the Tank Destroyers.

They also have the Armored Rifle Platoons which are just as strong as they are in Late War.

The US is spoiled for options, but the one thing I think the Brits have going for them is the better quality troops.

That 5+ "Green" rating the US has will certainly give US players a tough time with trying to use movement orders. Something that isn't as big of a problem for the Brits or the Krauts.

And the Hit on a 2+ Reckless Stuarts seem like a major disadvantage as well.

Nice interior, but someone needs to remind the soldiers to wipe their feet off before they walk into someone's house.

1515pts is apparently the tournament level this year. Based on Cannon Aircraft being the new hotness, what do people think about this list?

In my opinion, it could do with some more high AT weapons and will probably struggle against massed mediums, but I think it's broadly playable... for Trained.

Ditch the Pumas to add 2 more wirbelwinds or ditch the Pumas and your 2iC to add another platoon of 4 StuG Gs. Recon honestly isn't worth the points in my opinion.You need as many dice you can throw at infantry as possible, because what you have now won't cut it in an attacking scenario.

Either that or see about running some veteran StuG Gs. Stormtrooper is really friendly to StuGs in late war, and even though you may bring one less tank it will vastly improve your assault and chance of survival.

I am not saying recce is always useless, but Puma recce is too many points for a couple of fragile ass cars, one of which has a gun whose sole purpose is getting it into trouble. Also if you are putting recce in your list you should have something you want to aggressively spearhead forward. I don't think 10 trained StuGs are enough to spook someone in LW. They will suffer in assault, even with schurzen, and they won't be able to outshoot any anti tank guns, veteran armor, or a T-34 horde.

Unless I posted the wrong list - in which case, apologies - there shouldn't be any Pumas in that list. I can trade out the SdKfz 250s and Tank Escorts for another pair of StuGs, or for maxed flak, but getting a full strength third platoon is a stretch at 1515. I had a quick look at Veteran, but there's no mix-and-match option, and all Vets got too pricey, too fast.

Sherman's seem far too cheap in Fighting First. At 8 points they are the same cost as an uparmoured P3 and 2 points cheaper than a Long P4, but will statistically beat both of those tanks in an equal-point fight.

In a P4 v Sherman fight the Sherman's better chance of saving (only 1/3 of the hits go through, compared to 1/2 of the Sherman's return fire hits) cancels out the fact that the Sherman is easier to hit (hitting on 4s at long range vs hitting on 5s).

Given that, the cost of the two tanks should be equal (or close to), but the Sherman is 20% cheaper than the P4. Seems like any semblance of balance in V4 is out the window already.

I'm just stupid and can't read.

Shermans will probably never be doing movement orders, while the panzers have stormtrooper which is only made better by their 3+ skill. Statistics don't account for that.

>Given that, the cost of the two tanks should be equal (or close to), but the Sherman is 20% cheaper than the P4. Seems like any semblance of balance in V4 is out the window already.

The long barrel panzer IV was overpriced in Version 3 aswell. An unit of 4 costed around 600 points.

The Sherman always had problems against the short barrelled Panzer IV. While it has lower armor and AT, at range it is much more difficult to take down than the stats suggest. Up close their gun is dangerous to FA6. Another problem for Shermans in midwar are going to be the Marders. They are hard to take down from a concealed position at range and the AT12 fucking murders FA6 tanks. Best thing is that they are cheap.

I also don't see an american player bringing 2 platoons of shermans + HQ, thats 80 points in ten trained tanks that are bad in assaults.

>reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I guess this is an advantage of metal minis :D

Good lord... Did somebody let their 4 year old try and paint those minis?

Plastic Priest sprue

So far I'm liking how the new plastics assemble. Kinda confused how we're getting great vehicles but infantry that look like Clayface.

Different kind of plastic.

This hard plastic requires very expensive molds, which means you need to sell lots of something to make it economical to make a mold.

The softer plastic requires much less expensive mold, much closer to the expense needed for molds for metals.
With current metal prices, this makes it a much cheaper option for products that wouldn't be sold in enough volume to justify hard plastic.