/wip/ Work In progress General

Remembering to put /wip/ in the subject edition!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo

miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

madrobotminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_10&products_id=186
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So I have a Grymkin army for Hordes and I'm going to convert them to have a Bloodborne look.

I'm going to take pic related and turn their pumpkin heads into giant masses of eyeballs.

Any other ideas for conversion ideas?

Bloodborne is real hot for trenchcoats, robes, and shades of grey so that would be my advice to add. The Winter Lanterns wore robes if I remember correctly.

Need a cool nickname for my dude. So far all I got is "Hustler" and "Pointman" but they don't really do it for me. Any ideas?

Ace Levy

WIP Sorcerer on Jump Pack. The basing isn't finished and highlights need to be applied, but otherwise how's he look?

He looks okay, but he needs more definition. You should do a (very thin) highlight pass on the gold with silver, and crank up another shade of grey on the blackest parts of the armor. Right now it's pretty undefined. Case in point: can't even see the teeth on the central pack buckle without zooming in really.

It's a solid start you just have to take it a little further.

Looks a bit better with a basecoat but I think at some point I'll just buy the Manticore kit

In my defense the lighting where I live is really shitty, the gold looks brighter under normal circumstances.

Sure but cranking up the contrast is rarely a bad thing. Did you ink wash it?

Rate my base

A bit of Nuln Oil here and there, even the thinnest coats of Auric Armor Gold are too bright for my taste otherwise.

What i'm working on currently work in progress but coming along nicely

blotchy inconsistent mess

Just need that second thin coat and you'll be in business

Brick Vladivostok

Jerome Brown

RIDGE LARGEMEAT

BULK VANDERHUGE

Just 'finished' my first ever 40k build/paint. Is there anything I can do to improve it or should I leave it as is?

Ork Scrap trukk builder here.

I've gotten a lot farther than I did when I last posted here asking about ideas for wheels.

Here's an update on my progress.

Drybrush highlight the red chassis with whatever color suits your fancy and it will help a lot. It just needs to be broken up a bit and it will help all the details pop out. Maybe something like a dusty beige.

Pic 1 of 5

Pic 2 of 5

Pic 3 of 5 (also, yay quads?)

Pic 4 of 5

There isn't much to do other than simple asthetic choices like putting a gloss over the larger metallic parts, maybe a few blast marks, some battle wear.
Overall, though, you did an excellent job, the red does look a touch thick, but it is still a good first time job. You've got a knack for it for certain.
>9/10 would smash

Pic 5 of 6

Pic 6 of 6 (the driver & gunner)

The basics don't look bad, but you gotta get a better camera for taking pictures. Literally cannot see any reasonable detail on it.

Akimbo Apothecary doesn't care for your bullshit.

Now take the Bolt pistol from the kit and put it on the Chaplain.

Yeah, the only real camera I've is my fucking ancient smartphone camera (I've got a tablet one, but using that as a camera is awkward as hell).

As for details.... considering the entire thing is made out of chopped up sprues and strips of the plastic straps used on large packages, what you're seeing IS the detail (along with the disastrous glue jobs on the front. Need to see if I can clean that off somehow without damaging things too much).

Reikland fleshshade is usually a better choice for gold IMO. The redness fits the gold better, give that a pass on a model and see how it looks.

That's what I think makes this idea so awesome, lots of the faction's aesthetic just screams "BORN OF THE BLOOD, MADE MEN BY THE BLOOD!"

I mean, look at this guy. He is a spider. A spider in an awesome coat and an awesome hat. A spider in an awesome coat and an awesome hat who holds 4 pistols.

How much more Bloodborne can you get?

Rework of my previous picture a few threads ago.

With Nurgle bile eroding the grass away

Been chipping away at these FW Khorne Terminators for a week or so, thought I was done with them last night but realised I forgot to paint the skulls and guns on 2 of them... Will send pics when finished.

Looks too much like a...

Chad

The bolt pistol with the long barrel... fuck me do I want a pair on the chaplain.

It's like Cypher only cool

Won't look so much when the Lord of Contagion is standing on it.

But now I'll keep laughing at it in the back of my head.

Anyone here do any Bolt Action or similar sized WWII minis?

Building a crisis team even though they're shit this edition.

Thinking of leaving the antennas off of the squad leader's head. And I've build him with Iridium bits because they look cooler. (It's all dry fitted with blutac, still need to do cleanup before this thing gets anywhere near a spray can.)

Legs on the right are mostly done, could probably tidy up the highlights though. This is only my second unit ever so I'm still learning a lot.

You magnetizing bro?

trying for a darker skintone, need to clean up around the eyes and smooth the beard down a little though

Hightop Walkingtall

Yeah, all the arms are already magnetised. Unsure if I want to magnetise the shoulders, or just rely on friction; the weapons seem to slot in nicely unpainted already, so painted it should be pretty snug. Magnets would mean less wear and tear though.

So... looking into paints, and does anyone make paints that come out of the container at the consistency they're actually meant to be used at?

Cause I'd really like to use the paint I'm paying for, not waste a third of it. I guess a wet palette would help with some of that, but it wouldn't help a bit with drybrushing wastage.

You could transfer your paint to larger bottles and add some flow-aid into the mix. It's what a lot of people do when transferring GW paints to droppers.

Dry brushing will always waste paint though, that's unavoidable.

I haven't dry brushed in god knows how long
(I'm the guy who paints fine details but leaves parts of the models black)
Tbh though alot of cheaper quality paints come out fairly think which I did find easier to dry brush with but I would suggest either get a larger container for the paints or buy a lower quality paint specifically for dry brushing

Reposting from last thread. Getting along with my AM commander. Still need to do little touching up and highlighting.

Where's the head from?

BLAST HARDCHEESE

Hork Bigcork

Hey, guys. I'm slightly new to painting, and I've been following lots of tutorials. I'd like to branch out into doing my own color schemes, but I don't really know where to start. How do you guys pick what you'll paint Your Dudes?

Look at a color wheel and pick two complements.

Or doing anything at all, really. Just keep putting two colors next to each other until something resonates with you. There's no rules.

For Tyranids I like to look at flowers. For Space Marines I dartboard.

That would mostly depend on the models, but if you're newish to miniatures but not art in general I'd suggest sticking to 2-4 main colors and 1-2 (simple & complementary, e.g. black & white or gold & silver) accent colors, not including a realistic skintone.

If you're having trouble visualizing in your head or even while using a color wheel, it may help to go out and buy a cheap coloring book with some colored pencils. I know that sounds pretty dumb but its cheaper than using paint only to discover some colors just don't go. It'll give you a feel for color even if you stick to the typical colors of whatever is in the book.

Otherwise just keep looking at examples and maybe watch videos on color theory. Do what makes you feel creative and gives you a feeling of wanting to continue.

Thanks, anons. You've been helpful. I know a bit about heraldic rules. Should I obey the rule of tinctures, and pair colors like red, green, blue, brown, black, etc. with metallics like gold, silver, copper, brass, etc.?

Inappropriate uncle steve

Mmph, I might be able to split the paint into batches of different consistency that way... it's an idea, thanks.

Still a work in progress but here's my Red Scorpion Termies and also my first real attempt at edge highlighting and glowy power weapons

Nothing about him says sorcerer to me. Could easily just be a raptor sergeant.
Staff is an obvious one, but I understand you may want sword for combat reasons over the staff.
Needs some form of cloth maybe.
Robed legs for example. There's some good Greenstuff tutorials.
Familiar floating with him could do a good job of making him feel magical.
Also things like a small book on his belt or some green stuff energy swirls.

Looks like he's in hysterics, laughing.
I think that would be a cheeky base if you kept it that way.
But I assume the intent is he's wounded and screaming in paint, so bloody paintjob will convey that nicely.
Good stuff.

My genuine honest answer?

Do that if it looks good to you and you like it. Yes, it will often look best that way. But ultimately all that matters is that it's Your Dudes and they end up the colors you want them to be.

Try not to basecoat with a large drybrush

Nice. You can base it

Finally got motivated to finish my tzaangors!
One afternoon was enough to get their weapons almost done (still need to add some darker purple and black to build up contrast and clean up)

Those look fuckin amazing user
Damn tzeench models are fuckin complicated. I like that one green boy in the middle left
Nice job blending the pinks on the weapons too

I was looking up guides on red scorpian schemes and decided to check forgeworld as well only to find out that the yellow is meant to be metallic yellow gold, why does everyone does theres in just yellow?

Cuz yellow is also an option but mostly cuz old old paint scheme like back when ultramarines were blue and yellow like rogue trader days

The gold might be HQs only. Carcharodons have this bronze colored metal but their HQ is in gold.

The imperial armour volumes describe their scheme as "charcoal grey and mustard yellow trim"

So I use dawnstone and averland sunset respectively

inb4 ketchup red marines

ONLY CODEX APROVED Ketchup Red(tm) CAMOUFLAGE IS PERMITTED IN THE RED SCORPIONS

I want my primaris to look like knights, what would be some good heads and other bits to use? Also post primaris with head swaps.

Use grey knights bits and paint scheme

Make primaris(tm) NOT!Grey Knights

MOLD
LINES

They were really shitty condition terminators i got off ebay for 5 bucks
I didnt bother cleaning up the mold lines cause there were so many other areas that were fucked up beyond fixing that they werent as big a deal

Im only expecting to reach tabletop standard at best but im ok with that
I consider these boys practice

How about practicing mold line removal and thinning your paints

>implying the paints werent thin
YOU TAKE THAT BACK YOU DIRTY DOUBLE NIGGER

you got me on the mold lines though, i should clean those up but i really dont want to have to repaint the areas i gotta scrape

Wait, that was not supposed to be an ork vehicle?

Not the other guy but I can sort of see how one might think your paints weren't thin. I think it is a combination of the greys you used plus whatever wash you used.

Also 'Tis a fine Space Wolf but tis no Red Scorpion english'. Don't know how you can fix that.

>Moldlines
>Marinelets
That's a double whammy of failure user.

Yesterday I finished my second nid. I chose a light skin colour (the first was dark blue and it was pretty bad). Any thoughts or input? I want to sort out the shade lines so they are thinner and more straight and maybe do something about the wings, have them be a different colour or what not but I don't really know as I am a total noob. I might also change the chitin colour to orange.

>Heinz, get the Bolter.

Does anyone know if regular space marine shoulder pads fit on the Custodes? Or will I need terminator shoulder pads? Buying bits atm

regular pads definitely won't fit, terminator pads might though? but not 100% sure.

Art Vandalay

You have a filename of 'Dirtbag McGee' and I think that's fine.

My suffering begins.

I will document this project as I feel I am one of the first to burn money on these shitboxes, and I will be doing magnets.

Bummer. Thanks

Terminator ones for sure.

What were you planning to do with them? kitbash?

Second member of my grot ScAvengers done. Tor, Grot of Thunda to go with Kaptin 'Murka. Hawkgit is next.

Where are those guns from?

Babby's first Crisis Suit. This is the second unit I've ever painted (already done a squad of Fire Warriors) so it's not too amazing, but I think it's a decent effort.

Need to clean up my edge highlighting technique, it's pretty sloppy as is.

Still gotta do the backpack and weapons for this guy. It's all magnetised.

Ah sweet, Nurgle Tau!

SQUAD UP

I didn't really consider how Nurgle my colour scheme looks. Hardly a problem though.

madrobotminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_10&products_id=186