/nwg/ naval wargames general

Cross-section edition.

Talk about botes, bote based wargaming and RPGs, and maybe even a certain bote based vidya that tickles our autism in just the right way.

Games, Ospreys and References (Courtesy of /hwg/)
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming

Models and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/LcD16k7s

Rule the Waves
mega.nz/#!EccBTJIY!MqKZWSQqNv68hwOxBguat1gcC_i28O5hrJWxA-vXCtI

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monitor_(warship)
youtube.com/watch?v=fvWS01GjKIw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can someone give me the custom nation editor
I have to wait for the account to get approved

I've always enjoyed this idea. I wish they'd made something like it irl.

Those /20&/30 cannons never stop looking so comically short.

You hate winning wars, user?

>even as a scouting cruiser, something which nobody ever complained of having one, aviation fuel is a DO NOT WANT-tier battle hazard

So do you rate the Tone sisters as junk then? Honest question.

Or the Gotland? Perhaps my favorite warship ever produced by a minor European power.

See: "something which nobody ever complained of having one"

man, just about every major ship power got in on the whole "put all the guns in front" thing except the USA, eh?

We waited until guns weren't cool anymore and then did it to be ironic.

>goddamnit who let Petty Officer Fujiwara at the helm again

>multiwake drifting
I've been meaning to do a shoop or a shitty drawing for a while now, I might have to get on that tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Wizkids kind of gives me pause, but that may be because I used to play BattleTech.

It was a fun beer and pretzels game, and you can use the ships to try out other Age of Sail systems without investing in models.

Clicky Tech was poorly handled, but it wasn't all bad. I say this as someone who wrote a five page screed railing against Pogwarrior, so take that as you will.

>Be no coffenated
>read filename as "pervert"
I truly have become a bote fucker, haven't I?

Loved that, it got me into ships.

What's the cutest boat of them all?

I'm partial to the ones that fly, myself.

But as a rule, gunboats, monitors, some DD's all tend to a cute.

Don't tend to like the appearance of modern botes as much, but Vietnam era river monitors were pretty cute.

Four Stackers always a cute.

Wew the fuck is this one function. It's a harbor defender or what.

>Monitor_Faa_di_Bruno
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monitor_(warship)

its the 'Floating turret' approach. Actually not as uncommon as it sounds but you have to go back to the age of sail for analogs

Basically for defense of a port or shelling forts. Getting them to the forts was always a trial.

I could see why, it doesn't seem to be very seaworthy.

Well there's always the bit about having to tow it where you need it as well.

Cute semi-modern boat.

Cute little putt-putt has teeth.

Seems like a miniature. Aww look at him go.

I've got a soft spot for the cold war hydrofoil classes/projects. Horrible radar signature i'm assuming.

Shore bombardment in WW1 along the northeast Italian coast. The shoreline between Venice and Trieste is marshy, shallow, and comprised of hundreds of lagoons. Building a monitor with a very small draft allowed the Italians to take advantage of that while also keeping the vessel away from the KuK navy.

di Bruno provided some good service during one of the later Isonza offensives, but the fact she was basically a barge with twin 15" guns meant her sea keeping abilities sucked. She ran aground during during a storm while withdrawing due to the Central Power's Caporetto offensives.

Fascinating. Designed with a very specific purpose and location in mind. Quite unique.

Ugly as hell though.

Designing ships with narrow role in mind isn't exactly that rare, see Fisher's fast Baltic monitors for another example of this.

It's so ugly it wraps all the way around again into cute.

'vettes a cute too

Well aware of Fishers Follies. Trick with those is that the "Baltic Plan" was only one of many reasons he gave for those three. Above all else it was a way for him to get another three BC in the fleet while skirting around the no-BC build order. The Baltic Plan was just a convenient way to pass them off.

Just looked these little guys up and I have to say...i'm impressed.

Does anyone here have any experience with the various naval games produced by Minden Games?

Dreadnoughts & Battlecruisers(Jutland Edition), Tsushima, and Battleship Captain fell into my lap a ways back and I just dug them out last weekend.

Wanted to see if anyone else had tried them out before now.

always a ton of fun!

>Fascinating. Designed with a very specific purpose and location in mind. Quite unique.

Exactly. She was slapped together and worked just well enough in a very specific location in a very specific role for a very short period of time. IIRC, she was commissioned in late '16, used to support the Isonza offensives in '17, and then ran aground in November of '17 during the Central Powers' Caporetto offensives. IIRC, she worked with a group of UK monitors too, but well inshore of them because she could basically float in a teacup.

The entire Adriatic naval campaign in WW1 is absolutely fascinating. The KuK navy routinely bitch slapped the Italians and even held it's own against the RN & MN. There were some incredible raids conducted by both sides. The KuK navy had enough warning of Italy's DOW on the Central Powers to have forces positioned to hit a couple of Italian navy bases the night the war began. In another raid a KuK captain BACKED his DD into a narrow Italian harbor so he could steam away faster after shooting the place up!

>Ugly as hell though.

Not familiar with them, give us a rundown afterwards?

Any reading recommendations for that theater? It sounds very interesting.

I will do so once I get a handle on the basics. I have the older out of print version of Battleship Captain though(2ed) so what I may say could differ from others exp with 3ed.

>Any reading recommendations for that theater? It sounds very interesting.

Halpern's "Naval History of WW1" is a good place to start.

Cute, what's the reason they aren't more popular, that kind of craft? More complex mantainment?

go hero bote go go

The US versions (Pegasus) at least weren't cost effective for role they found themselves in (coastal/narcotics operations which they were good at) vs the role they were intended for (which they thankfully never had to engage in). Not sure about the Italian/Japanese designs, nor the Russian ones.

I really like the Norwegian Skjold class. Pretty neat successor, I think.

youtube.com/watch?v=fvWS01GjKIw

Is there anything better, naval gun wise, in general service or production now then the OTO Melara 76mm gun? They seem to be the gun of choice the world over.

I mostly remember them from the various Gerry Anderson things like Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet.

It's such a cool concept though; making a boat faster by taking most of the boat out of the water, even more than a catamaran.

Goddamn it Italy, STAGGER YOUR SECONDARIES! They could have easily had an additional 2 or 3 AA turrets per side if they split them between two tiers...

Technically those are tertiary. Littorios had 12x 6" guns in four triple turrets. But yes, the DP battery could have been arranged better.

Looks comfy, but not a fan of the "modern" look, remind me of those litoral defense uglies the USA is packing right now.

It's not exactly my cup of tea either in terms of looks, but none of the most modern generation of ships really are. Then again, pic related is more my speed, so ymmv.

Gabbianos were well designed little botes. I'm sure RM wished they'd had them at the start of the war, but nobody in pastaland had expected a protracted conflict.

1. Yes, gotta go fast = gotta watch maintenance schedules.
2. No AAW. I cannot think of any surface ship < 3k tons can effectively defend itself from modern airplanes.

They look pretty cool, kinda of flying above the waves, being so tiny.
Well, for the moment airplanes are the too OP pls nerf stuff of our times.

I was thinking more along the lines of limited sensors. Even the OH Perry class frigates, loved by many, were notorious for having a Ray Charles radar and a Helen Keller sonar -- and it had 4k tons to work with. Weapons and speed are nice, but today, electronics and electrical generating capacity matter too.

>They look pretty cool, kinda of flying above the waves, being so tiny.

Be careful with that fancy, m8, it might lead you into developing interest in GEVs and other things that blur the line between boat and aircraft.

>Implying wing in ground effect isn't the patrician choice for travel

I lost my entire collection of these, even had one of the limited edition 10 mast ships

Anyone know where to get these for cheap?

yummy
good rtw inspo

Computer Naval Wargames welcome here? /wgg/ is ded so I figured this would be more appropriate than /hwg/ general for CMANO.

Just let loose 150 tomahawk missiles on their AB's, will be cleaning up what's left with SEAD aircraft. Pardon the shitting up of the thread, I deleted the incorrect posts and fixed it up.

Good luck on getting them cheap. Hills whole sale gaming and ebay are your best bet.

It appears I was unable to completely destroy their runway before they could get some dudes off the ground, and they've shot down about twelve of my missiles. Time to do some clean up with an air superiority team and a SEAD team.

>Computer Naval Wargames welcome here?

Probably considering how often RTW and SAI stuff gets posted here.

I was pretty confused but hyped when the battle popup told me I was about to participate in a fleet battle against Austria-Hungary. Little did I know that I was about to recreate the Battle of Antivari but in the Baltic.