media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:

Has your party ever had to deal with a Tarrasque or some other kaiju-type monster?

Other urls found in this thread:

enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468639-5e-EPIC-MONSTER-UPDATES
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkYF7N05E-
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkSFaLyGB-
enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468639-5e-EPIC-MONSTER-UPD
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Largest creature they've ever fought was a spinosaurus from Tome of Beasts. They ran into a T-Rex running from one and had a Jurassic Park 3 homage battle with them.

I once set my party up against The World's Largest Dwarf if that counts. It was just some guy. The beard was fake.

My party did in fact meet the world's largest dwarf. He was 40 feet tall.

The largest thing the party has pissed off was a deep sea eldritch horror the size of a cliff. The largest creatures they've fought were a Skeleton Titan just today (60ft tall) and a dragonlike creature a month ago (took up 9x9 square). They also fight alongside Kaiju, as during the latter fight, they had an Antimagic Wyvern the size of a house tanking attacks for them.

I run big encounters.

Wouldn't that just be a giant with particularly broad shoulders and a barrel chest?

>I've literally never had a combat take place in an area big enough for eldritch spear or spell sniper to ever be of use.

You're playing on a dry-erase map or with some other physical tool?

My group uses Maptool. It isn't at all unusual for battles to span hundreds of feat across.

My Gunsmith has the Sharpshooter feat and can fire at enemies up to 500 feet away, without disadvantage. Add a flying, giant, mechanical eagle mount... outdoor combat is great for me.

Less great indoors, but hey, everyone has weaknesses and strengths.

No, he was actually a dwarf.
In my setting, dwarves don't ever stop growing, but they don't get too large before dying. That particular dwarf, however, was roughly 4000 years old because of reasons. So he got fairly large.

Reposting from the last thread.

My DM is insisting that if a character dies (or you want to switch characters) that the new character is always level 1.

Would you guys play in a game like this? Can anyone play devil's advocate and help me understand my DM? Here's his justification in an email.

>>I think it's a variety of reasons. More than anything this feels right to me, the right balance between options and opportunity cost. It's described this way in the books, which always makes it more attractive to me, esp. when I'm not super experienced in the system. It also elegantly solves a lot of problems, like higher-level characters hand picking magic items (this is an incentive for players to switch spontaneously, which all-things-being-equal is not good because it is disruptive to the story line) and that it encourages builds that are only fun starting at higher levels (I admit this a personal gripe of mine).
>>I haven't found any rule that says you can't advance more than one level at a time. After enough adventures to bring a character from level 5 to level 6 a parallel level 1 character will advance to level 5. After enough adventures to bring a character from level 8 to level 10 a parallel level 1 character will advance to level 8. This doesn't seem game-breaking.

I'm currently getting ready to start DMing a political intrigue game and wondering what you guys think makes interesting plot hooks.

Obviously backstabbing and misdirection will play a large part in it. I have 9 noble houses set up that all have their own goals/motives. But what else could I do? I want there to be moral ambiguity and to have a hard time choosing what to do.

>t-rex
>running from a spinosaurus
Was it at least an adolescent male running from a fully grown female? An adult female t-rex should destroy a spinosaurus.

Yeah, there was an artifact spreading undead-raising-miasma planted in a certain kingdom. The players took the direct approach of just destroying it right there, and the magical shockwave woke up the Big T who's been buried for aeons in that area. The fight wasn't too interesting except for the "oh shit Tarrasque!" factor, as in they just intercepted it, jumped on it and killed it, though not with ease.

>I have 9 noble houses set up that all have their own goals/motives.

That seems like a lot of noble houses. I'd do 3 or 4. There should be other interest groups seperate from the Noble Houses too. A Blacksmith's Guild. The King's Wizards. The local Churches. Foreign interests too.

Can someone post Wot4E rework?

I can understand why some people would want new characters coming at 1st level (+- the survivors earned it / it needs to be hardcore), but I also strongly believe their opinion is fucking retarded and wrong. Such a mechanic is probably the least fun possible punishment for dying. I'd most likely quit the game, first because I can't stand the mechanic, and second because I'd expect the DM to have more rules/mechanics exactly opposite to what I find fun in D&D. Just a mismatch of mindsets.

I have the campaign set in Neverwinter and based the nobles houses off the Neverwinter Nine. Each house controls a part of the cities infrastructure, i.e. one controls the standing army, while another controls the city/royal guard.

I'm planning on having plots happening even if the adventurers never get involved. Lots of moving parts behind the scenes and if the characters stumble upon something they might catch a hint that their are deeper things happening. I didn't want the world to be static or revolve around the characters.

>Unearthed Arcana: More Pact Boons
What would you want to see in this?

Anything not related to the Warlock because it's a shitty class, with bad fluff and an awful fanbase.

Seriously I'm more happy to have Drow, Aasimar, furfags or anything over the normal Warlock player. I know it's just my own hatred of the class, but then they always also ask for a buff or some kind of free benefit.

>it's a shitty class, with bad fluff and an awful fanbase
ksy idiot

I'd rather see more Patrons, but I'm sure there is room for new boons.

Pact of the Shield: Get special demon armor
Pact of the Cauldron: brew crazy shit in your cauldron.
Pact of the Telescope: I don't even know

Yeah, he's really into this idea of the 'hardcore' nature of it. He initially had this whole ranking system and was promising high levels of character death. His concept was based around 'Actually Winning and Losing in D&D'. Initially it was going to be lots of solo adventures, with the players competing against each other in a kind of fantasy 'game show' format, something like Running Man or the Hunger Games.

We've ditched some of that already (people didn't like the solo stuff).

boons require subsequent invocations to build up to, patrons are plentiful from the templates given

>Completely depends on short rests to do anything
Even Monks and Battlemasters have things to do without a Short Rest
>Has spell slots that will only ever be used for combat
Gee, sure happy we have a Warlock over any other caster

>Fanbase
I googled "Warlock Character Ideas" and clicked the first 3 links. Here are the first 3 ideas from each link.

>Chef
>Wacky prankster gambler
>Character turned into a demon
>The Warlock is a god and his own patron
>Chef
>Immortal who was attacked by a GOO and became insane
>Fairy God Mother patron (This one is good)
>Son of the king and a nymph
>Geralt

These are the people I DM for at the game shop twice a week, you can understand why I have a sour opinion of it's fans. Then they either want magic weapons right away, demand I give out more spellscrolls and so on.

As for fluff, why couldn't making a pact with a creature be represented by Cleric, Paladin, Sorcerer or Wizard? Warlock fills a role that was already filled.

In Tome of Beasts the Spinasaurus is much bigger then it should be. It's basically an all around improvement on the T-Rex in almost every way

I'm trying to make a "pinnacle of physicality" style unarmed barbarian Primal Path- so please, tell me how retarded and broken it is- I'm not great at home brewing and need all the help I can get.

Level 3:
Brawler’s Skill
• You gain proficiency in Improvised weapons.
• You can roll a d6 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike or weapon. This die changes as you gain levels, first to d8 at 5th, d10 at 11th, and finally d12 at 17th.
• When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or improvised weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action. For example, if you take the Attack action and attack with your bare hands, you can also make an unarmed strike as a bonus action, assuming you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn.

Level 6:
Crushing Strength
Such is the Brawler’s might that he does not merely grab his opponent- he lifts them physically into the air, tending them helpless before
• Whenever you make the grapple action, you may also Pin your opponent as a bonus action, making an opposed Athletics check. Upon success, they are restrained.

Furious Might
• When raging, your unarmed attacks count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity.

Level 10:
World breaker
• You gain advantage on all strength based checks outside of rage.
• You ignore damage thresholds when damaging inanimate objects.

Level 14
Survivor
At 14th level, you attain the pinnacle of resilience in battle. At the start of each of your turns, you regain hit points equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier if you have no more than half of your hit points left. You don't gain this benefit if you have 0 hit points.

Ask him why he wants the party to babysit a level 1 character when they're level 15, or why this commoner that's adjacent to a fight suddenly grew five times more powerful the second the fight ended

I should add on I don't inherently hate what the Warlock class is, I loved it in 3.5 and found it okay in 4e.

The 5e Warlock's just plain pointless however.

>Even Monks and Battlemasters have things to do without a Short Rest
Eldritch Blast

>Has spell slots that will only ever be used for combat
Lol, it's the complete opposite, you have EB, you contribute even without spells.

I'd like more at-will powers honestly. I've been having loads of fun with at-will Silent Image between fights. Gives him something to do without using those valuable spell slots. Even worked it into my backstory saying he worked at a theater as the special effects

>Eldritch Blast
Is quite frankly not that great.

>Lol, it's the complete opposite, you have EB, you contribute even without spells.
Contribute isn't the same thing as being a decent class. One could argue a level 1 commoner can contribute to combat.

A Warlock at best has about +3-+5 average damage over a Sorcerer, caster Cleric or Evoker for most the game.... Except they all have a massive amount more spellslots.

If you want to get into levels 10+ then a Warlock is dealing good damage, sadly other casters are now at the point they can do ridiculous shit nearly all day long.

Also any martial does much more damage and in the case of Paladin and Ranger even carry a ton of utility effects.

>>Eldritch Blast
>Is quite frankly not that great.
?
It's second only to Fighter for best ranged DPS in the whole game

dull

Ranger does straight better though? 1d8+DEX with +2 Attack and the ability to use Sharpshooter? Or Crossow Expert and Sharpshooter for 3d6+9+30 damage at level 5?

Not to mention Horde Breaker and later on Volley.

Also Rogues deal more damage, sadly they only do it to one target per turn but still more ranged damage.

Also anyone with extra attack can pick up Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter to deal way more damage then Warlock.

Post stats? I could borrow that shit.

T.Rex was about 14K lbs (conservative estimate, but a recent one) and spinosaurus was 14K-20K lbs.

So I betcha a spinosaurus could take a tyrannosaurus.

>1d8+DEX with +2 Attack
In what world is that better than 1d10+CHA+Hex?

To be fair, Ranger basically has their own hex with Hunters Mark

>Sharpshooter
>Hunter's Mark
>Horde Breaker

Try harder.

>Has your party ever had to deal with a Tarrasque or some other kaiju-type monster?

I've never actually run one as a DM, and I'm kinda intimidated by the idea, because I want to do it right, but also kinda disappointed in myself because I've been a ForeverDM for years and years now. Biggest thing they've fought is like a dragon or hydra.

Am I right in assuming that the most optimal build for DPS if I wanted to play a fighter is 2 weapon fighting with the associated feat at level one? (I forget if I also get the +2 to a stat as well)

>2 weapon fighting
Dual wielding is a meme, user

Elemental pacts with powerful djinns, efreeti, etc

Spell Sniper with Hex is pretty fucking good, and Pact of the Tome and Pact of the Blade can be really good if you optimize them, and Pact of the Chain is a straight buffed version of "find familiar".

That would be a patron, not a pact boon (blade/chain/tome)

I really hate the boons that exist and their railroady line of invocations to make them not shit (or still shit) outside Tome which just makes them shitty wizards with eldritch blast. I think warlock desperately needs more boons but god do I hate all of the ones they have now.

We literally JUST fucking talked about this in the last thread
Warlocks ARE NOT CASTER SUBSTITUTES
They are ROGUES that HAPPEN TO USE MAGIC
(consistent damage + consistent (resourceless) utility)
For fuck's sake, can we not have this conversation EVERY DAMN THREAD?

I think you might just be retarded

I was just thinking about that kind of Patron while I was on the way home tonight. Seems perfect for a return to the Lands of Fate...

Though I wonder, What is a better expression of the Sha'ir? A Warlock Patron or an Arcane Tradition?

Can an Eldritch Blast "fire" from my mouth and the verbal component of it be "Recoom Boom!"?

Anybody? I seriously need the help.

ask your DM, not us

To explain, Two Weapon Fighting is only really good for low levels. At higher levels you're gonna need that bonus action for other things your class gives you, at which point the other fighting styles are much more useful

Looking for some solid 1DM1PC campaigns, doesn't matter if it's too railroady.

I had new characters in 3.5 come in with same XP level as the party, but without any gear beyond masterwork shit. So a high level 3.5 fighter might come in with masterwork plate and longsword, but no magic.

It's also good for Swashbucklers, but that's more that their "basically the Mobility feet" is good for two weapon fighting.

The name's Recoome. It rhymes with doom. And you'll be hurting...
...all...
...too...
...soon!

To get around the "Don't want chosen magic items" thing, ask to just get gold instead. That way he can stroll into a wizards tower and the GM can decide what's in stock

Sort of related. My group is about to play a dark sun game with revolving dms and I'm thinking of including a remote but fairly well populated city built in a vast graveyard of giants and monsters that have been dead for millennia. A society of preservers will be trying to reverse the mild defiler taint in the area will accidentally rejuvenate the mummified heart of the tarasque at the center of the city and over a few months its going to come back to life in a weakened state. Still strong enough to lay waste to a city made of bones, but not so strong that the party can't figure out how to re-kill it or that the sorcerer kings can't just flick it out of existence if they decide they give a shit.
Thoughts?
What should I give them to fight it, other than a powerful item? Should I place another big monster in a fighting pit in the city or in the surrounding countryside? Should they seek aide from the giants descended from the ones that put it down in the first place? Just have it stomp off into the desert and leave them hoping they never see it again? I dont imagine they'll get beyond levels 7-10 before they have to face it.

Pact of the cauldron sounds delightfully flavorful, I'd love that.

yeah all the lock lovers have that sort of desperate clinginess with their class. No counterarguments, just wailing and gnashing of teeth.

>Brawler's Skill
Not broken, maybe tone is down to d4 (using lvl 3 monk as point of reference).
>Furious Might
For a class dependent on using it's fists, why is it only when they're raging that they're able to bypass resistance?
>World breaker
Free 24/7 advantage on STR is pretty powerful for a grapple build. You don't even need to expend a rage anymore for optimal grappling. Hard to say if it's overpowered though, but I think you could put something slightly more interesting here. Maybe some sort of bonus damage with improvised weapons?

>Survivor
Constant HP regen on a class with bonus action resistance is nuts. At level 20, that's 24 effective HP while your raging at the start of your turn. I'd tone it down or replace it entirely.

Otherwise I think the archetype is fine. I'm biased toward unarmed/grapple builds though.

Why would anyone provide a counterargument to a post with no arguments in the first place?

Is there any excuse for pact of the blade?
Are blade boosting invocations not mandatory in that case?
Is there any excuse for pact of the chain?
Is eldritch blast not mandatory?
Are eldritch blast boosting invocations not mandatory?

This definitely could have worked in 3.5, especially with looting the previous character corpse, but 5e doesn't rely on magic items as much and in general the same concept probably won't work quite as well.

I liked it, but I'm pretty shit at balance, so take with that what you will.

>Is there any excuse for pact of the blade?
fun
>Are blade boosting invocations not mandatory in that case?
No.
>Is there any excuse for pact of the chain?
Only a person who knows literally nothing about how useful it is can say this
>Is eldritch blast not mandatory?
Technically no
>Are eldritch blast boosting invocations not mandatory?
Of course they're not

I mean even pact of the tome could get find familiar, but they can't get the big invocation to "boost" it ever so slightly. Everyone else just gets find familiar anyway. Fun isn't an excuse when shit's just weaker than comparable other classes.

>Is there any excuse for pact of the blade?
Flavor and fluff. Also works well with the Hexblade patron since that allows you to add your CHA to melee attacks (And I get the sense you primarily care about damage)
>Are blade boosting invocations not mandatory in that case?
No. Not mandatory. Do they help with damage? Sure. Are they mandatory for a player to have the character they want or have fun? Naaah.
>Is there any excuse for pact of the chain?
Flavor and fluff. Some people may want a little Imp familiar because they're playing a Tiefling trying to become a full borne demon. Others may want a sprite for playing a slightly loopy chick who thinks she's a giant Tinkerbell.
>Is eldritch blast not mandatory?
No, because damage isn't everything.
>Are eldritch blast boosting invocations not mandatory?
No, because damage isn't everything.

If all you're doing is killing things, Warlock may not be for you. If your campaign actually allows for politics, intrigue, exploration, treasure hunting, etc....a Warlock is a versatile, fun class.

>make rogue thinking I'll be able to pick locks and shit
>everything is magically locked with riddles and puzzles

I legit couldn't care less about damage, just not getting locked in to the premade class path which seems like all warlocks get aside from amazing fluff. You could also grab shillelagh and add CHA to attack rolls with added damage in a similar manner in pact of the tome.

Just take a wizard with a pact background. Just take an eldritch knight with a pact background. Maybe even multiclass the two.

>Fun isn't an excuse when shit's just weaker than comparable other classes.
There it is

Take mining tools and dig through the wall next to the doors.

What premade class path?

reminds me of that pasta about how the DM had huge adamantine doors the players couldn't break, so the players just removed the surrounding walls and took the doors back to town to sell.

>Roll sorcerer
>Spooky great old one backstory
>Magic initiate: Warlock Eldritch Blast, X, Hex
>Give Spear/Blast/etc invocations as feats for variant ASI

Ayy, what do you want in particular? I got the dragonoid from here: enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468639-5e-EPIC-MONSTER-UPDATES

It is the "Repeater," a Monstrosity that is very powerful. I decided to have it take up a 9x9 square because it's stats were not mentioned.

The Skeleton Titan is a gargantuan sized creature with 390 hp, 30 strength, and one single attack that deals 12d12+7 damage and has a +17 to hit.

The Antimagic Wyvern is a major plot character that comes from icy mountains. It takes up a 7x7 square. Ignoring the werehuman qualities I gave mine, the base creature I drafted is as follows:

Antimagic Wyvern, CR 23
Gargantuan Dragonoid, Chaotic Evil
512 hp (25d20+250)
AC 20
Speed: 40ft, Flight 80ft
Statline: 30 10 30 6 12 10
Saving Throws: +17 Con, +8 Wisdom
Skills: None
Damage Immunities: Cold, Force; non-legendary Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing Damage that isn't Adamantine (yes, it is immune to most magic weapons)
Senses: Darkvision 60ft
Languages: Understands Common, but does not speak

Features: Immune to all 6th level spells and lower. Has advantage on all other saving throws against magic and has resistance to magical damage.

Siege Monster: Double Damage to structures.

Multiattack: One Bite, Two Claws, and can use it's stinger against something behind it. All attacks are made with a +17 to hit. Bite deals 7d10+10 piercing, the claws 7d10+10 slashing, and the stinger deals 7d10+10 piercing and forces a DC 25 con save or take 14d6 poison damage and are poisoned for a minute (repeat saving throw at end of turn). Half damage otherwise.

Screech (recharges 5-6): DC 25 con save for everything within 60 ft. Deals 10d10 thunder damage and deafens for 1 minute (repeat saving throw at end of turn). Deals Half damage otherwise.

The DM was a pansy. Here's how you really railroad.
>The walls are also adamantine.

>Not broken, maybe tone is down to d4 (using lvl 3 monk as point of reference).
I upped from Monk because the Barbarian is more of a frontline fighter- do you think the d4 progression is competitive?

>For a class dependent on using it's fists, why is it only when they're raging that they're able to bypass resistance?
I was worried that I might have made this level overly powerful and figured this was a decent place to tamp down. I prefer it without rage, so if you think that's alright I'll change it to constant effect.

>Free 24/7 advantage on STR is pretty powerful for a grapple build. You don't even need to expend a rage anymore for optimal grappling. Hard to say if it's overpowered though, but I think you could put something slightly more interesting here. Maybe some sort of bonus damage with improvised weapons?
Honestly, I included improvised weapons not as a main feature, but so the Brawler could use his foes as weapons, either by using other enemies as weapons, or tearing someone's limbs off and using them as clubs. The Path is supposed to be a warrior so mighty and tough he doesn't need weapons or armor- he can just smash through all before him with pure might. BUT I could specify that the str advantage only applies to lifting/breaking things etc and give doubled encumberance, allowing the Brawler to carry and move even bigger foes. Not sure what else I'd do- nothing springs to mind.

>Constant HP regen on a class with bonus action resistance is nuts. At level 20, that's 24 effective HP while your raging at the start of your turn. I'd tone it down or replace it entirely.

Fair. Maybe make it an action or bonus action instead? That way it's a choice between more damage or survivability. I specifically wanted an ability focused on combat endurance- allowing the Brawler to outlast others. My other thought was the ability to use a reaction to make a damage roll against an attack, reducing the damage you take by your own damage.

>Brawler's skill
Reduce the unarmed damage. You should not do more damage per hit than a monk. ESPECIALLY if you then give the archetype the bonus attack action from Martial Arts.

>Crushing Strength
I think it's balanced enough (not an expert on grappling), except that the level 6 feature for barbarians should be an exploration feature (see Totem Warrior).

>World Breaker
No problems here.

>Survivor
Same as the Battlemaster ability, but 4 levels earlier? I'm really not a fan of that. From a balance perspective, it's an acceptable ability when characters have access to 9th-level magic, not 7th-level.
If you must keep it, tone it way the fudge down. But I'd recommend swapping it for something else.

At level one, yes. At level 5 and beyond, no. Two-weapon fighting doesn't scale with level because you only ever get one off-hand attack, so it's much better at the lowest levels when nobody has extra attacks. If you want the biggest amounts of single-target damage in the smallest time, I recommend a paladin with a big two-handed weapon, Great Weapon Master, and maybe a couple of levels of fighter for Action Surge.

>I'm biased toward unarmed/grapple builds though.
You might find this interesting: homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkYF7N05E-

Cont.

-the idea being you knock their attack aside, overcoming their blow with sheer might.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions by the way.

Different user:
It's not about competitiveness. It's about having a higher unarmed damage progression than the monk, which you basically shouldn't.

The reaction idea is interesting, because it has parallels with the berserker's level 14 feature. I'm in favor of that change.

I'm still not following you. What is the premade class path Warlocks have built in? If you're talking about Eldritch Blast and Hex, those are optional. You don't have to take those. At All. Ignore them, pick up a light crossbow, and play a disgraced academic who fell into his or her pact by accident and is only adventuring looking for a way to break it, only to get more and more distraught as their spells get more powerful.

Good luck casting Disguise Self and Speak With Animals at will, and having either dozens of rituals or a fantastic scout.
I agree that the warlock has some choices pre-made for him (Eldritch Blast package), but that's not the entire class.

I think what he's going for is that if you wanna be a melee warlock you pretty much have to use all your invocations on extra attack and such to remain useful compared to other melee classes. Yeah, I get it, it's not about being the best damage dealer at the table, but when you're high enough level your fucking cantrip will be doing more damage to more enemies then your magic weapon summoned from the bowels of hell, and that's just dumb to me.

Really, I just don't like that I have to sacrifice most of my invocations to make the melee any good when I could be using it to get Alter Self for free or being able to see in magic darkness.

Do you have thoughts on this: homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkSFaLyGB- ?
I'm not necessarily 100% happy with where it's at, but comments about the general concept and balance would be appreciated.

Serious question to you and- why shouldn't a Barbarian have a higher damage progression? Monks are, as I understand it, Skirmishers, not frontline warriors, and Monks have a TON of neat tricks they can do with a punch, from Flurry to knock back to stunning. Doesn't the lack of utility make up for the marginally higher damage?

It does sound like I should reduce it from what you guys say, but it just seems weird to me.

I just hate everything about the design, the weak-feat-tier boons, the hacky spam path for damage parity. I don't care about keeping up the DPS but I wouldn't allow it for anyone but the noobest of players who can't comprehend a complete class's play style. Most invocations are just shitty feats but they refuse to allow them back in 5E even though they designed themselves into a corner.

I think some of the patron abilities are pretty neat but adding spells is just something they do with every subclass and doesn't seem to benefit fucking anyone, least of all not-quite-caster warlocks. I think the warlock is a great class that should have probly been merged with Sorcerer or something to create some not-theoretical-magic superclass with some mix-and-match options to boot. You've already fucking got ability overlap between invocations and metamagics, why not just fix it?

Not-at-will animal talk is not a big loss and illusion wizard is like.... god tier among all classes anyway.

Frontline warriors don't inherently need to do more damage than skirmishers. What they need is less mobility and more tankiness. Damage has little to do with it.
Like, I'm not sure why you even think frontliners need higher DPS.
In either case, I give again the main argument that you simply should not have higher damage with your fists than a monk, similar to how you shouldn't have more attacks than a fighter or stronger sneak attack than a rogue.

>enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468639-5e-EPIC-MONSTER-UPD
Was really asking about all of them, but that's a handy thread.

Probably gonna use that skeleton titan sometime, thanks mate.

And I appreciate the writeup! Good stuff.

I disagree with a lot of what you say about the warlock, but I also think merging the warlock and sorcerer into a single class would be interesting. Not anything I'd bother to homebrew, because there's literally no way to do it in a way that won't piss everybody off, but we do have too many "mage" character classes. (Even though the warlock in 5e is a rogue substitute, not a wizard substitute)

If anything, skirmishers should do MORE damage, because they use hit-and-run tactics.

I like what it's going for, but it seems to just delete the Tome and Chain pacts as far as I can tell, and if not I don't agree with giving Bladelocks the option to chose one of those on top of what they have already.

This here is also straight overpowered
>You may learn invocations that require knowledge of eldritch blast. If you do, their effects apply whenever you attack with your eldritch weapon.

So you're saying my 2d6+DEX eldrich greatsword can ALSO get Agonizing Blast, making it a 2d6+DEX+CHA on top of a hex? At level 1?

I tend to think of skirmishers as having more tricks or doing higher damage under specific circumstances while frontline warriors do more consistent damage.

But fair enough- I'll reduce it. Be a bit retarded if I wasn't willing to take the advice I asked for.

What CR is the Skeleton Titan, btw?

Glad I could spread the joy of giant monster mayhem! I just used the Skeleton Titan today in an encounter where the party faced it and exactly 1000 skeletons all at once! It was great fun.

The philosophy is that the warlock pact boon should be a utility thing, not a combat thing. And I think not being able to use eldritch blast is an acceptable tradeoff for getting a slightly improved pact of the blade.

As for invocations:
1. You can't get invocations at level 1.
2. Dex + Cha won't be THAT high until relatively high levels; a typical level 1 character with this option will have a Dex + Cha of 4, or 5 in some cases. 2d6+5 at level 1 seems reasonable when you compare the survivability (or lack thereof) to a fighter doing 2d6+3.
3. By the time Dex + Cha becomes very high, fighters have 3 attacks, paladins are smiting often, and rogues hit like a truck - see the last page for comparisons.

Does that do anything to sway your opinion on balance? I'm not married to the concepts, but I'd rather have a bit of back-and-forth before making any changes.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown. Your heart is in the right place, unlike too many homebrewers. Let's see which type I am...

well wizards took sorcerer's deal with not-prepared spells and bards became godly powerful and interesting and still versatile so literally nothing was left of that husk of a class anyway. Sorcerers in older editions were always sort of mystery powered anyway so pacts wouldn't be a huge difference in theme.
>Well I have dragon blood deep in my ancestry
>but now there's Dragonborns so no you don't
>Well I can cast without preparing
>Nobody prepares spells anymore, some of them can even do magic AT WILL
>Fuck it, demons did it.
Fits perfectly. I agree that warlocks could be cool but they're contradictions in the 5e design.
>We don't rely on feats in 5E
>We just call them boons/invocations for this one class that still heavily relies on bonus feats
>And there's less combo capacity since they mostly just extend the first one

I think having a single feat-based class isn't even awful but I hate the concept of just stacking them vertically. Also sorcerer's need a home and there's some extra versatility that could be salvaged from combining them.

It certainly isn't proper, but the CR is about 17. Also, it's attack should deal 12d12+10 damage, have a +17 to hit, and 30ft. reach. My bad. Beware of it's crits!

DMs, do you ever feel bad when one of your players gets fucked by an unlucky crit?
What about when you are getting ridiculous rolls and crit your players like 6 times in one encounter?
How often do you fudge rolls in your players favour when shit goes sour?