Why are orcs depicted as a horde race?

>larger, stronger and more durable than humans
>designed for fighting
>spend most of life making war
>can survive off scarcer resources and eat their own dead/enemy dead
>can replace casualties faster
>don't get sick, don't have to worry about infections
>still has to massively outnumber the civilized races to have a chance

Why are orcs always portrayed as a swarm enemy when individually each orc is more than a match for several humans?

Why are aeldar depicted as a small, specialized agile warriors?

Elves usually have better stats than humans, with eldar being straight up superhuman, makes sense for them to be smaller elite forces. Orcs are also physically better than humans in just about everything but massively outnumber them in almost every conflict. A single veteran orc should be more than a match for several humans. humans should need at least a 3:1 advantage or some serious ranged power to take them out

Because Orcs draw inspiration from Germanic Barbarian tribes which were individually stronger then Roman, but their strength was not enough to overcome the more organized force of the Romans.

So as the descendants of the Romans civilization and now the Barbarians we jerk off our ancestors by saying that it would work even if the Germans were superhuman.

not* not now.

It's just inconsistency.

There is also the issue that a race created for war that feels much less physical pain than humans and is generally lower morale.

Because they have shit tactics an no armor. "Aiming" isn't in the Ork dictionary. Boyz get gunned down by the thousands. They die to lasguns and bolters just fine. Orks, not orcs, are an angry mob not an elite army.

No armor and guns are a great equilizer.

>orcs
Cheaper than your state troopers, better than them too. But my god is that squabble chart fun for all the family.

The few instances of isolated Orks in the lore seem to not do so well, especially when imprisoned. They need WAAAgh! energy and get flabby without exposure to it although that last bit is from Xenology.

Where the hell are you pulling these assumptions from?

Having one ork imprisoned just leave an ork to muk about.

Leaving a shit ton of orks isolated on a planet and they're going to kill each other for years to come until a Boss strong enough unites them.

A basic understanding of the lore would tell you that all of those things are true

Because they're idiots and individual strength is no match for superior tactics, numbers, and firepower.

He's talking about Orks from WH40K but spelled it like Orcs from D&D.

Actually it's referring to orcs in all
Settings, though warhammer tends to be everyone go to. Orks would have made it specifically about the 40k ones

>Actually it's referring to orcs in all Settings

Let's do Tolkien, shall we? Kind of an important influence on Veeky Forums related stuff.

>larger, stronger and more durable than humans
Definitely false.
>designed for fighting
Mostly true.
>spend most of life making war
Only really true for Uruks; you have lots of orcs slaving away in mining and tunneling etc.
>can survive off scarcer resources and eat their own dead/enemy dead
The first part is probably true. The second one has no basis in the books, and the notion of orc cannibalism seems to be one of the few things that makes them disgusted. (PJfags please go)
>can replace casualties faster
True to most of the other species in Arda
>don't get sick, don't have to worry about infections
False
>still has to massively outnumber the civilized races to have a chance
True.

4 (counting #2 and 3 as 1/2 each)/7. Not great at all.

>Poor tactics
>No cohesion
>Low morale
>Poor tech (comparatively)

>Not oogah-boogas during the colonization of Africa

Nah, not really. Most of the longest-lasting and most ingrained "barbarian" myths and archetypes are based on germaninc invaders.

While I agree in general. They do have decent armor from time to time and wildorks know how to aim. Hence they had bs 3 back in the day.

>poor tech
Depends on the population. Common ork tellyportas are better than necron stuff. And the Beast showed that there's no real upward limit on batshit stuff they can come up with.

Orkz at their height were beaten down by the Eldar at their height. Humans are just still primitive.

Take 50 random muscular basketball americans and give them rusty hi-points.
Give me 15 moderately trained white brothers, in a meh-shape, but we do have some training and okay weapons.
Set us loose in a small forest for a deathmatch.
Guess who wins ?

Jackson really messed up with the orcs in LotR. They should be slightly larger than hobbits, but still considerably smaller than men. Uruk-hai should barely be man-size.

Ever notice how the orcs just got larger and larger? In the first film we saw the orcs of Moria which were smaller than men, and the uruk-hai who were the same size/larger than men. Then orcs catch up in the latter, and in the Hobbit trilogy they're uruk-hai sized and even larger in the case of Azog. Silly man. And Tolkien described men-sized orcs as a very scary rarity.

>>still has to massively outnumber the civilized races to have a chance
Every soldier has 20-100 people working in support. Count those to account for superior equipment.

The black guys, I'm afraid. Yes, I just inferred the basketball americans are black, but whatever's more relevant.

Gee I don't know, nothing like this has ever happened before to the best of my knowledge. I guess the white people because they've got the queen's latest innovations in powdered firearms, right?

You're going to lose your lily-white pasty life.
You'll get winded, surrounded, and clubbed to death while you whinge and cry about how you were supposed to be superior.