EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Reflect on that" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but people often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
If you play less than 100% competitive, what restrictions do you place on yourself?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Haha, OP, you seemed to have forgotten the Discord info. Here it is:

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just try to be less forgetful next time.

Black women Roman vampires.

No cards in old borders. Or if I would put together deck from days of yore - no modern borders

>forget
Never.

>If you play less than 100% competitive, what restrictions do you place on yourself?
I don't play decks that want to win asap (or stax, but I never play stax anyways)

Licia would have been much more interesting if she didn't have that stupid "once a turn" clause and if instead of giving counters to herself she would give them to another target creature

I love Breya but I think that going turn 4 kill everyone is really boring.
I've made her Battlecruiser without Combo tutors.

I would play her as a commander if she had haste instead of first strike.

Right now I'm not that tempted by Mardu vampires thou

We should be getting our Godfather, Don Markov in about two hours so I'll hold out with judgement untill then.

I also do this.

Probably going to be a massive but really slow card, just as The Ur Dragon. Still, I love the tribal flavour of the decks so far

>Tell me Sorin. Do you spend time with your fammily?

Look at this 3D model on a photograph

So, how can we get her on T3 for 3?

>Serra Ascendant
>Stormirk Noble into Ideal of Heliod
>Sunspring Expedition into Knight of the White Orchid

What a boring card. Feels very Boros, only slightly Black.

Does WotC hate Boros so fucking much that they're going to make this Mardu deck the brainless I-can-only-attack-and-lose-to-board-wipes deck just because it is the closest to Boros?

Ew.

Wow that's...

Look, I know Karador is a high bar but given the cost and cost-reduction ability that's what I think of, except Licia follows up the vaguely interesting cost reduction and decent keywords with a fairly trash ability rather than Karador's awesomeness.

I think I'm fairly locked in to dragons+Wizards.

>photograph
Ramos is gratingly CG-looking (as you usually have to be to get that shiny metal look) but the background is actually rather painterly

Which is kinda nice because Ramos is man-made and sticks out as a piece of technology in a natural landscape.

I think the rest of Ramos looks passable, but his wings look like they're ripped from a Playstation 2 game.

Isn't ramos some kind of old-phyrexian construct?

I'm having bfz titans flashbacks.

I don't know why but aart on this card reminds me of Mirage/Visions block. I kind of like it

They are going for the early 2000's look.

>What if we made the lovecraftian gods from the dimension between worlds look like posed action figures?

Speaking of this guy, is he competitive at all?

>reminds me of Mirage/Visions block
Black dude (as are the inhabitants of Jammura) and minimalist surroundings (as was a common style at the time, especially for artifacts)?

Man that cost reduction is super fucking cool, but how did they let that last ability ship. Multiple times a turn, letting us use it on other peoples turns, 10 life for six counters, haste fucking anything other than that.

I think the once per turn clause of his ability prevents any shenanigans from going off

Probably. I don't see him dethroning Tazri for top rainbow commander but he can do some pretty horrible things as I recall from discussion around his initial leak.

So yeah, Licia is pretty shitty. The "only once per turn" part is particularly dissappointing. If you're going to make a combat damage card, a bad enough strategy as it is in edh, at least make it powerful.

Yeah I'm a bit bumed. I do like the art, keywords, reduction, P/T for the cost but I sure wish this 5 life could be payed for anything else. Dunno - even putting some 1/1 vampire tokens onto the battlefield

There's a combo with Feldon and Intruder Alarm some user posted when he leaked that circumvents the OPT clause

At least fucking flying.

Ok yeah, I'll give you that. It also looks a lot better in a card-sized format, which I much prefer to a great full.size artwork looking terrible on the small canvas.

I miss old Magic art. It wasn't always good but at least it didn't offend my senses as much as this awfully digitally rendered crap.

>They're not wrong. Mediterranean people aren't white.

Listen Luigi Mario you can keep telling yourself you're not white after going your entire life thinking you are until it was cool not to but Tyrone and Jamal aren't letting you into the cool kids club anytime soon.

>tfw card isn't cEDH playable
REEEEEEE ONLY HYPER TRYHARD OVERPOWERED CARDS ALLOWED

Anyway

Another way to get it T3:
>T1, land, Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Signet...

This is sorta kinda ok

Yeah. It's 10/10 art anyway - especially the subtle thing about the mirror.

Into hidegutsu IT goes

>don't care about the pure Tribal commanders
>only hope for anything interesting is the alternate commanders
>they're all phoned in

>Add Green to R/W
>It's good
>Add black to R/W
>It still sucks shit through a straw

R/W was a mistake

Ramos and the Magnet Cat are good.

>was excited for the vampire deck
>tfw it's going to be the "turn dudes sideways" deck

T..thanks wizards.. I really wanted boros with a hint of black..

Catforge Meowstic and Ramos seem pretty decent.

Ramos is the only one I'll give a little concession to, because running him in Charms.dek seems hilarious.

If it had flying I would have played that. Combate damage creatures have to have trample or flying in edh.

Edgar has to be a knight. He's getting outfitted in the art and we got a new vamp knight. He's pulling double duty.

Hopefully his eminence won't suck in a knight deck.

Neat that it interacts with stealing your opponents' commanders.

Considering he's the first vampire I think his eminence could be making tokens. Beginning of upkeep, pay BW or something like that and create a 1/1 vampire knight or something like that.

I have high, if unreasonable, hopes for the wizard deck.

It would have been so cool of them to have some balls for a change. Tokens, lifedrain, who knows. Anything over that.

Giving your general haste is good in all sorts of decks don't be a cunt.

Yeah, Bastion was the same way. Fun in Partners too.

The only way to make them good is to have them slot into Azami and be the same boring lab man deck.

The rest of their identity is giving shit flying. And sometimes mill.

Kill your hype now.

>Average cost of my cards in deck is like $5-$8 tops
>Faggot at game store I went to got pissy when he lost because "Anons deck is like $1000 so he cheated"

When did Pauperfags start infecting EDH?

He's a Dragon-Engine from the Brother's War. Either Mishra made him, or he was a loaner from Phyrexia. Then Urza reprogrammed him to protect some civilians in case they got caught in the crossfire. Which they did, when Urza went Super Saiyan at the end of the War.

Long story short, Ramos is Bender in Space, with a bunch of people he took through a portal confusing him for god.

That still doesn't invalidate his point though.

You can add Blue or Green to Boros and make it good but Mardu really does suck.

And I remember there was an user recently who was saying Black is the best color in EDH.

Look at all the awesome things you have access to in Mardu.
>Boros
uh
>Rakdos
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Looking at licia and that guy it just seems to be going into the combat oriented direction of boros, but who knows maybe edgar brings a surprise.

Well, we don't know if it is going be 100% turn dudes sideways just cause we have a card that gives commanders haste.

I'll be honest though, expecting tribal decks not to win by combat damage is a bit silly, despite a few select tribes being able to.

Card Draw is the only thing Boros needs and with Black it has. Stop being a cocksucker.

Mardu isn't that bad. We get all the removal and wraths from red white and we cancel out its biggest weakness with black card draw.

>Group hug player always ramps people into their fast combos because who'd have thought that infinites get easier to do when everyones drawing 3 cards a turn and has double mana
>Dude fucking rage quits and storms off when I Return to Dust his Howling Mine and Heartbeat of Spring
>"Fuck you user i didnt even attack you"
Why are grouphug players the fucking worst?

I would say the biggest weakness is lack of ramp

>Ragequitting in EDH
For what purpose

I like the synergy with Gain Control

Gross.

Horribly HORRIBLY underpowered, even with the cost reducer thing. You have to jump through stupid hoops in a colour with no mana fixing for what?

A 7/7 lifelink first strike for 8 mana that folds instantly to any removal AND costs you 5 life? Gay shit, they could have at least given it haste to make it somewhat playable, or get rid of that "only once each turn" clause. Anyone who plays this is a mong.

>If you play less than 100% competitive, what restrictions do you place on yourself?
usually the restriction is just money. I dont pay more than 15-20 dollars for a card

As in any combination without green, you can make do with cheap manarocks.

Maybe he assumed your playgroup doesn't do infinite stuff and all it would do is lead to people playing Balefire Dragon and Murder Battlesphere a few turns earlier.

>dat flavor

Because they have no fuckin idea how their decks should work and think "lolrandom" is fun? Just my guess. I have no grouphugs in my playgroup

what a boring and underpowered card

I get what your saying, you make fair points. My problem is all of the vampire cards revealed thus far have been uninspired. I would like something a bit more original, like Bloodline keeper, or that 3cmc vampire that tales control of other creatures.
It's ok for vampires to win through combat damage, but they can be more than that as well.

Have no mercy on Group Hug players. They are the easiest to piss off and they ruin everyone that is not playing Combo. Just target them a lot and when he whines you should let him know why he's beign attacked.
After leaving the table first a few times he'll learn his lesson.

It is just a generic general for lifegain Mardu. They didn't want a repeat of Oloro I guess.

You're thinking of chaos, grouphug should be able to get a foot forward with his shenanigans unless it's a scrub

Not playing for two hours with people you hate?

I haven't had to, but there can be reasons.

Most of the time Commander precons have a couple packages. Some (typically the ones best out of the box) have one clear strategy but more often they have "a" and "b" gameplans, sometimes "c" as well.

Clearly, one of the gameplans for vamps is "Turn dudes sideways" specifically with go tall/voltron. I wouldn't be surprised if they did a lot of tokens as well; vamps are good at that and Aristocrats (a Vamp ability since Magic 20xx at least; it went on shades before that) would fit BOTH elements. Their C theme is probably lifegain of the tax/sap/drain/gain-from-loss species.

>all these people saying remove the 1/turn limitation

That's a great idea, lets have a 5 mana (On average) commander that oneshots a player the turn it comes down.

They're not going to put shit like that in the precons

Yes I know Kaalia shut up

seem shitty to be honest. there are so many more things that give haste and something more important for much cheaper mana cost and less restrictive on colors

>cats seem to be way more interesting than i originally thought
>vampires seem way less interesting than i originally thought

huh

They'll be a few here and there, man. Vampires always get a few fun tribal effects. I'd relax.

Not like other tribes which are much more pigion holed into playing 10 lords.

>Chaos not profiting out of the mess they make
Playing smart chaos is a great experience because it LOOKS like what you're doing is symmetrical, random, and zero-sum and then you pull the rug out from under everyone and they're left wondering when you actually started winning.

Sometimes it's more obvious than others.

How the fuck is Taigam phoned in?

If they didn't want a repeat of Oloro, they shouldn't have made Emblem Commanders an actual mechanic.

could be fun with "whenever you gain life" effects.

She's not one shotting anyone without trample or flying, my friend. She's just gonna get chump blocked.

Yeah chaos well piloted should have some way to reverse the shenanigans in their favor too (like Thieves' Auction + Brand), but it's riskier than grouphug where you always have something for you in the effects you play.

And yet they literally reprint Kaalia in the anthology, and Ramos/that cat bitch are going to come out gangbusters. Wizards knows better, it's just unfortunate that they seem to do this to particular colour combos.

Do you know how to make a good vampire soldier?

>Vampire Soldier Guy
3WRB

Flying, lifelink

Pay five life: Put 3 +1/+1 counters on target vampire.

Remove 6 +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control: Destroy target creature, gain life equal to its toughness.

2/5

I mean, fine. Let them chump.

Yeah, but it is a 4/4 for 4 flier in red, which is atypically pushed.

Urabrask and Bloodrush Cyclops are comparable, but you can see how this is a fair cost.

Personally wouldn't run it outside of Partners.

>vampire
>no flying

F minus. Come see me after class.

So where is this chick from?
My first guess was Kephalai, though a friend of mine insists on her bein from Fiora or an entirely new plane.

>chump blocked
>removal

There is a reason voltron heavily relies on the commander having evasion/protection. Even then voltron is really easy to shutdown

It's not like lifegain could be lethal anyway