What is the wildlife like in your setting, user?

What is the wildlife like in your setting, user?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MntWOlF4F3c
youtube.com/watch?v=4dcQO6Zb8Eg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

they butcher anyone that doesnt like 40k and slaughtrers any tat consider 40k discussion "hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr muh personal army durrrrrrrrrr"

Extremely pretty. Ultra fast. VERY dangerous.

>warbabby is mad someone doesn't like something he likes, proceeds to shitpost
hmm

real fucking big

What is that birb?
Common fauna with a wide variety of exotic magical creatures.

A bearded vulture, aka dino bird

Hungry

>GET OFF ME

Based off of Dougal Dixon's New Dinosaurs and After Man.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH

There are no birds in my setting because I hate birds
Insects, too.

So do your ecosystems just die? Or do you just not put that much thought into it, and it never comes up?

I should've clarified I didn't mean all insects
But modern birds are pretty easily replaced in most niches

my man

Because magic is and has always been naturally present, especially on the coasts, animals often develop strange and supernatural abilities. This magic results in such creatures as the coastal coral forests, soot-swimming dolphins, electrical centipedes, and thorny hydra. The line between animal and monster is very blurred here.

Do any of you go for something like pic?

>dinosaur bird
I'd give that title to these two:
youtube.com/watch?v=MntWOlF4F3c

youtube.com/watch?v=4dcQO6Zb8Eg

Oh gods yes

Post-patrician taste

Basically Indonesian. My setting is based on Krakatoa's eruption.

yes, lots of it

Evolution works in strange ways. What a weird birb.

All birds are dino birds.

>Insects, too.
This is how you get ecosystem crashes. Birds I can understand, its easy enough for other creatures to fulfill those niches, but Insects basically hold a monopoly on their place in ecosystems.

replace insects with magic

done

>grabs popcorn

Sounds like youre just that now that you mention it

Do you know how hard you'd have to rape both the laws of Evolution and Sanderson's Laws of MAgic to get that to work? Do you have no idea just how much biomass on this planet is composed of insects, and how much the physiology, behavior, composition, and biochemestry of nearly every ecosystem on earth is cause by the presence and pressures of the bullshit arms race that is the Phylum Arthopoda?

Are you retarded? Seriously, how the hell could magic make a world even remotely similar to ours in appearance to pick up the slack of the insects?

Some general stages for creatures depending on magical imbuement:

0-5%: Regular creatures (dogs, cows)

10-30%: creatures with odd abilities (shedded skin reanimates)

40-60%: pokemon-esque

80%: Elementals/Spirits

100%: "Gods"

Probably with magic.

Alright, now explain how it does this yet still follows Sanderson's Laws of Magic, because if it can't then your setting is automatically shit

Beautiful birb boys

Bearded vultures are great. They're both beautiful, and super metal since theri diet consists almost entirely of bones

what animal is that? looks cool

same here, someone enlighten me please

first one is some sort of newt or salamander, second is an Antarctic Scale Worm

Second one is an Alaskan Bull worm, I think

It's a hair squig

Pretty inconsistent.

I've got fantasy critters like dragons and wyverns and griffins mixed with jurassic saurians, feathered dinosaurs, prehistoric megafauna, Monster Hunter-tier unrealistic monsters and super ayyy tentacled abominations and extraterrestial animals. A setting where you can ride domesticated terror birds as you hunt for wargs on the open prairies but have to keep an eye for flocks of snatching Night Gaunts during the dark hours.

I try to keep most of the different flavour-of-the-month-creatures on separate areas/continents but they do overlap and mix in quite a lot regardless.

lusty

Mostly big, aggressive and magical.

No, those are just murderbirds.

Shit now I want to play a berserker with Cassowary themeing.

birds are stupid

I desire details my man.

Its a worm salamander, and it looks like a muppet combined with a leech lizard.

I want to hug and kiss it, it is adorable.

I just pull it out of a dnd book.
All the monsters that aren't sapient are considered wildlife.

Isn't that how snails work?
Isn't it documented that bigger ones could just bite trough a shoe like wet paper?

Fucking chainsaw toothed cum harpooners the whole bunch.

That's not a birb, it's a dinosaur.

Middle-European, i. e. boring because it stays away from humans all the time. Mostly used as ingredients for food and magic. Do the animals that can talk still count as wildlife?

Not him, but: No conflict is solved with this magic, so nobody has to understand it. How does that sound?

Best thing about it is the Lammergeir is usually white, but it seeks out either blood or red soil and covers its feathers in the reddest stuff it can find for intimidation and courtship.

eldritch space whales that look like flowers and have biological fighter jets that defend them

This is what it looks like when nature has decided that something needs to be a snake, but it hasn't gotten all the way there yet.

>Wolves that can stand on their hind legs and their forepaws have extended digits to allow them to grasp things
>Birds that can easily get to the size of a 747
>Dinosaurs of all sorts
>Bulls who horns naturally contain precious metals in them
>Big cats who roll around in rocks and form rock skin
>biologically immortal jellyfish that exude magic and are the "elementals" of my setting. Their cells are regularly used to enhance magic users and can cause mutation over long exposure being near them or the places they inhabit.

>*Gojira album starts*

>Antarctic Scale Worm, thanks though i cant find much info about it

jesus its smaller than i thought

Lewd

Crocodiles are ridden as mounts

Wild

My brain tells me I shouldn't touch the golden bits

Turbo-autist located. "If magic isn't science it is shit."

IT doesn't have to be science, it just needs to be internally consistent enough that it doesn't create plotholes the size of Kakoram 2 that even a child will question

Mine tells me not to touch that thing with a ten foot pole

all monsters are actually hyperevolved slime molds that speciate in weird ways. Something looks like a bird, but it's actually just a slime mold exhibiting a similar appearance, with slime that looks and feels like feathers, growing on sticks and rocks to simulate the proper shape. They move around with electro-impulses generated in the slime pseudo-musculature, but they actually have no awareness, they simply are drawn to other resources the single cell organisms can utilize.

This has 3 effects the players can care about
1: nothing is ever going to retreat or ask for mercy therefore
2: there's no moral complexity to slaughtering entire bands of gnolls or dire wolves or whatever. They're just ambulatory slime-piles with no sentience or sapience.
3: if you don't burn it, it will come back.

Vicious beasts that hate human life and will always attack, often without cause, and will not stop until one of either party is dead.