Kingdom Hearts campaign?

For some reason I suddenly got the desire to run a Kingdom Hearts RPG campaign with friends.

Anyone else tried this? What system would work well for it? Fate?

I'm not so good with the lore (only played through 1.5 aND 2.5 collections). When's a good time in the lore to set this campaign?

And any suggestions for worlds? My initial ideas:

Star Wars, Treasure Planet, and/or WALL-E
Monsters Inc. (Everyone becomes monsters!)
Moana
Black Cauldron and/or Sword in the Stone
Zootopia
Incredible
Jungle Book
Finding Nemo (For Little Mermaid-esque shenanigans)

big hero 6

I have The Incredibles on my list (though I did mistype it, woops) and I think that's similar enough to Big Hero 6 I'd rather avoid the latter. Especially since it's going to be a new world in KH3

>When's a good time in the lore to set this campaign?
Between BBS and KH1. Set up some kind of plot coupon that isn't the keyholes to chase after, fight Heartless, succeed.

Also, do Atlantis. Don't do Star Wars.

Oh, and The Rocketeer! Cant believe I forgot that one.

Doesn't that mean nobody can have Keyblades?

Also, why not Star Wars, if you don't mind me asking? The light/dark themes seem to fit perfectly into Kingdom Hearts. And it'll never be done in the games.

Also I totally meant to have Atlantis on the list, no idea how I missed it. I'm desperately praying for it and Treasure Planet in KH3. I love those two movies with my heart and soul. Especially Atlantis and it's Mignola-esque style.

FATE could work, probably using the Atomic Robo book as base; it adds a bunch of cool systems.

I like gamey RPG combat, so I'd use Strike!, personally.

Pic-related. If you aren't going to include Machu Pichu with Ezma as the BBEG and kronk as comedy relief for the world then you are doing things wrong.

I like gamey combat too to be honest. Especially for something like KH. But it also needs to be able to handle showy cutscene attacks and summons, and if the classes are too D&D-esque then I think itd feel weird. I'd ideally want the classes from KH. (Shield, Rod, Sword)

I was really considering this one because I looove Emperor's New Groove, but... I just couldn't think of enough interesting locales for it.

I do think Kuzco should be a Princess though, at the very least. And Yzma and Kronk would make great recurring villains.

It uses a Class/Role split, so it's like having 5(+1 in an expansion) options instead of just having "Shield, Sword, Rod", on top of classes. Classes are fluff neutral and mechanically can also get pretty damn crazy (though some D&D-isms exist).

There are also team techs which are really strong atm (though there aren't many).

Hm, sounds more promising than I remembered... does it need a grid to work?

Yeah, it's grid based.

Hm. I'll look into it sometime soon. Im not super into grids, especially for something as fluid as KH. But team techs and role/class stuff sounds nice.

It simplified a lot of stuff in exchange for being grid based, which I think is a good trade.

I think it can work pretty well for KH, especially with using the rules for goons/stooges/swarms/etc. for the chaff to get that "I'm wading knee deep in enemies" feel.

Mhm. It can just be tough to makeep movement feel really cinematic when using grids. I have some ideas on how to deal with that narration-wise though. (Grids representing larger areas of space for example)

That works. The game lets you split up your movement and there's push/shift effects galore, so it can be already pretty mobile, but it doesn't even have a set size for the squares; they can be 5 feet or 20, however you feel.

How do you keep your players from being furries in Zootopia?

By playing with people not from Veeky Forums. By reputation we're more furry than any site that isn't specifically made for furries.

So, no key blades, no key holes? Barely sounds like kingdom hearts at that point

What's wrong with being a furry in Zootopia? Do you want your players to not be mermaids in Little Mermaid? Or toys in Toy Story?

OP here. Intent is indeed they'd be animals in Zootopia, robots in WALL-E, fish in Nemo, monsters in Monsters Inc, supes in The Incredibles, etc. I love seeing the reinterpretations of the characters in each world.

I worry Atlantis might be too similar to Nemo though, so I'd probably cut Nemo.

Would Wreck-It Ralph be a good world? It'd be fun to see everyone reimagine themselves as parodies of video game characters.

As someone who ran a short campaign after II, I suggest you expand the setting a decent bit and open up the world's for some more travelling. Use new ones as hub areas if you want the Disney stories to remain unchanged.

I haven't been keeping up with the MOM, but the entire series is a tightly knit clusterfuck focused solely on a big final fight with every game so far having been declared to totally have been part of the villains plan all along.
Destiny itself wills these specific characters to have an end-of-game showdown, so your players are doomed to irrevelancy if you go anywhere near that point in time.

And don't try the keyblade war either, since apparently that's just a sports competition and they use future sight to run around in the same world's we already know.

And for the love of god put some more people in everything. There's like ten people outside main/Disney characters in what is supposed to be infinite world's.
More people means you have choices other than retelling the plot of the world again, the characters don't seem totally insane and saving the world might actually matter.

Or go with the emptiness and run a Dark Souls campaign in disguise.

Yeah. I planned on including plenty of original worlds to serve as hub worlds and greatly expanding the populations of the worlds to have actual characters, sub plots, and so on. They won't just be vehicles for combat.

I've run a Pokemon campaign and had to do similar work there to flesh out the games, using the manga and anime as reference for how to build more characters and depth. I'd do similar things here. :)

Is Frozen confirmed for KH3?

No, not yet. It'd fit nicely.

Are there any good Disney worlds with deserts besides Aladdin?

What was the plot of your campaign, by the way? What worlds did you use? I'd love some story time if you can.

Imagine if it becomes another kh2 atlantica

It's really not that interesting.

>be stupid edgy teenager
>sign up for kh rp with other edgy teenagers
>gm disappears without doing any material for the campaign
>players get together to discuss what's gonna happen, nobody has any idea
>off-handedly throw in some three sentence premise
>People love it

I have yet to find a group I don't end up running. As you can imagine from the backdrop, things didn't end well.

>Kingdom Hearts, Heartless, etc. are long forgotten
>two multi-world empires in a cold war
>one of them finds legends about Kingdom Hearts and tries to use it as weapon
>Instead, seal is broken and the Heartless are on the loose again
>keyblades become more common
>empires force wielders into service
>fast forward, players get captured and thrown in a prison for brainwashing wielders into loyal soldiers
>start a riot and evil members are sent to take care of it

Cont.

And that's when things fell apart. We lost half the group members to various causes and people just lost interest.
Some time later I tried to pick up the campaign again with actual preparation this time. Didn't happen, but here are the plans:

>party member working for the empire betrays emperor and gets him killed
>group gets sucked into realm of darkness where timey-way stuff flings them a bit into the future
>mad scientist-type took over empire A and went total war
>hybrid-heartless soldiers nerf the PCs with control over darkness
>group stranded in bumfuck, nowhere with an army of heartless about to make worldfall

From then on it would have turned into a sanbox-y campaign. Spira and Atlantis were available for some ruin exploration, Ivalice had the war of the lions happening right now, bounty hunting various Disney villains, etc.
But the endgame plots were the following:

>the Worldeater, the reason KH got sealed in the first place. Obligatory JRPG suicide
>bridges between world's becoming way, way more common and now connecting to shards of world's from the keyblade war
>rebels (which the party had good connections to via me dmpcing one of the top brass) and empire B forming an alliance to survive the bio-magical warfare of A and slow reforming of B into a decent society.

Probably wouldn't worked out very well either because no preparation and now getting of characters.
We had amnesiac anti-Sora and a guy literally called misanthropic in the group as standard jrpg and shonen protagonists. I think we even had Dragon with keyblades. We also had the old GM join on late and be try to be a massive Sue.
Like I said, stupid edgy teenagers.

Ah, so you had Final Fantasy worlds? Dope...

I can see the edginess a bit, but it is a cool premise.

So you had mostly the classic worlds, with those additions?

Personally I'm not a fan of FF worlds. FF characters sure but not FF worlds.

In a tabletop they might be more fun though

I avoided the Disney world because I had a rather big group with the possibility to bring NPCs along.

Shoving 10+ people into a running Disney plot seemed quite annoying. And considering the edginess of some party members, it would have ended in a bloodbath sooner or later.

You don't need too many locales for any one Kingdom Hearts world. ENG might be a stretch for a full campaign but an arc within that campaign can do Palace -> Countryside -> Hidden Temple pretty easily.

Wait, there aren't any keyblades in existence after BBS? I missed that, apparently.

Man, that would be nice.

By now they hand them out as punchlines for a joke.

OP here. I always got the vibe they were rare by the time of KH1. Is that not the case?

Like I said, I'm not too good with the lore. But in KH3 it seemed a big deal that Sora was THE key blade wielder. I know there's still Mickey, Roku, and Aqua surviving but it seems a lot rarer and more special now.

KH1 it was one of a kind/ a light & dark pair.
CoM/KH2 it still was, but we learned of multiple versions of the same character having one and a time in ancient history when they were common.
Birth by Sleep there were only a few guardians left to watch over the world.
Re:Coded and Days you could copy paste the things because data are also people.
Triple D a character makes a joke about everyone getting a keyblade, and as reward gets a keyblade.
In the non-canon-oh-wait-it-sells-it-is-canon-now Freemium game everyone just has the same five keyblades.

Honestly, just let you players have those things and all the keystaves and maces and whatever the fandom has come up with. Just time down the power level and the plot stealing.

Go for the TV shows. Gargoyles, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Talespin, DuckTales, and Bonkers are all excellent options.
Spirited Away (if that counts)

I hadn't even thought of the TV shows. I love Gravity Falls, maybe I could use that too... Gargoyles and Talespin would be amazing, of course. And I think the Duck shows could all go in one world, Duckberg, right?

Oh man, I could also do Motorcity... that'd be dope.

Yeah I was gonna give Keyblades to my players no matter what, just wanted to make sure it made sense in the lore.
Also, I wish Miyazaki counted but it's too much of a stretch.

>Would Wreck-It Ralph be a good world?

Yes but it needs to be super meta

For sure. I can reference the game adaptations of D&D, Shadowrun, Final Fantasy, etc. Old school RPG land.

>I know there's still Mickey, Roku, and Aqua surviving
>surviving
Oh, you don't know yet, do?
For this entire series, nobody has died. Nobody can die because fate has already arranged for seven good guys vs. 13 bad guys.
You can go hearltess and back, get lost in the darkness, sit around without a heart, have heart mind and soul split and fuck around on their own, get posessed, become a robot, turn into ice shards or whatever. When the plot calls for it you can just pop back out without any harm from your years in a waking nightmare. And you don't even age!

And as for keyblades, it's probably easier to list who doesn't have one by now. From the original characters we have:
>8 out of 14 organisation XIII members, though two should in theory also have them
>blonde witch girl
>Ansem who fucked it all up
>Sora's mom

That's not even half of the cast, quite the downgrade for the only hope of all worlds.
Keyblades went through the same process as the Jedi: Fans liked it and self-inserted as them, so the creators gave everyone their shiny toys, making completely ordinary and boring.

Sora's MOM? What?

Damn where is all this info???

I might have not expressed myself clearly enough, that's a list of characters who DON'T have a keyblade.
Sora's mom had one speach line in KH1. I guess I forgot Kairi's grandma in that list.

Most of the stuff comes from Dream Drops Distance, which really tanked the series in point of writing. It seems to be getting better now with the Master of Masters being a massive troll.

Ohhhhh ok yeah I misread that. My apologies. That's more reassuring lol.

Still haven't played DDD. Been wanting to pick it up for my 3DS but I also want to wait til I get a PS4 someday for KH2.8....