Do you think cyberpunk can be cozy?

Do you think cyberpunk can be cozy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hgCtRLX3bx8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why the fuck not? Any setting can be cozy, mate, even apocalyptic (depends how you do it though).

I always thought cyberpunk looked more post apocalyptic. A little more like fallout. Maybe I'm thinking about the slums?

So are the rich people in cyperpunk land living in technocolor apartments and the people I'm thinking about live underneath them?

>check out the movie Rock and Rule (also knows as "Ring of Fire" in Canada)

kick ass psuedo-cyberpunk animation from the early 80's

>Maybe I'm thinking about the slums?
>So are the rich people in cyperpunk land living in technocolor apartments and the people I'm thinking about live underneath them?
Yes, and yes.

Only if you're right at the top of the pile, and even then you'll have problems with those below you trying to kill you off so they can be on top. So, no.

I think it depends on how broadly one defines, "cyberpunk," and how integral one feels tone is to the concept. I personally think that a persistent feeling of comfort or safety is not very punk and so I would deploy such scenes mainly for contrast and to give something to disrupt and destroy.

The trappings of cyberpunk, however, are often perfectly compatible with a "cozy" tone. You could have high tech apartments and corporate campuses and androids and computer networks and whatever else you want and have it be perfectly nice. I don't think it'd be cyberpunk anymore (not unless it's a setup to everything going wrong), but genre is only a shackle if we make it one and if someone described such a story as cyberpunk I'd understand where they were coming from.

Finally, if a cyberpunk setting were "real" (and let's face it, it kinda is), there would logically be places that are cozy and people who would lead cozy existences. It's only that I'm at a place in my life where, at least with my science fiction work, I find it more useful to think about the effect my work has on my audience (players) than tying to make something that is an accurate depiction of what it would really be like (although the two things are related).

When I listen to city pop shit I with accompanying cyberpunk gufs/images I feel comfy.

In my opinion cyberpunk cannot be completely cozy - which would completely defeat the punk part of cyberpunk. The corporate business and residential areas are mostly cosy and safe, the rest is Third-World slum tier. To evade the general grimness, people resort to escapism through VR, drugs and whatnot, and express their frustration by destructive behavior (vandalism, crime, terrorism, alcohol/drug abuse, deviant sex...).

Post-cyberpunk, being generally less extreme than classic cyberpunk, would have the potential of being cozy on a larger scale.

You should play VA-11 HALL-A sometime, user. Cyberpunk can be extremely comfy.

>tfw no lolitoaster

International spaceports, hypersonic jets, clean robo-cabs, metros and skytrains, business hotels, cozy capsule hotels, lounge bars, business districts, high-tech office towers and labs, chic rooftop restaurants, Japanese beer, club sandwiches, geisha, cyberware.

As long as you have cash, the future is going to be cozy.

Who wouldn't want to work for The Man.

The alternative, living in the slums, isn't that comfy, usually (cash can provide for some cozyness).

The deeper you venture in the slums, the grimmer life gets.

Implying the apartments in bladerunner is not cozy with some jazz going on in the background.

Just imagine their fucking downlow clubs with a bunch of 40-50 year old men and women talking about old times and asking the piano man to play their favorite songs from the 2090's.

There's no setting in the world that is more "common cozy" than cyberpunk. JAZZ is the key.

Maybe that's why Blade Runner isn't considered to be cyberpunk. Deckard is a cop. He can afford a nice and spacious apartment where he can fit a grand piano and a huge sofa. A real cyberpunk cop has an apartment that would fit in a grand piano.

And I'm not even speaking about the art-deco furniture Deckard has (Frank Lloyd and Rennie Mackintosh)

>He can afford a nice and spacious apartment
Part of the themes in Bladerunner (and especially in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) is how much everything is being abandoned and emptied - big and empty buildings are becoming the norm

>Blade Runner isn't considered to be cyberpunk
this shit is going too fucking far.

Jazz or Vapourwave

youtube.com/watch?v=hgCtRLX3bx8

Dude where are those movie stills from? The one with the dude holding the cowering people at gunpoint and the rape?

Children of Men
Irreversible

Corporate fashion seems pretty comfy, too.

No it won't

> all black, no other color of clothing
> bullpup rifles
> nothing but light Japanese lager

Well, you got the dystopia vibe down pat.

but vaporwave is dogshit user, synthwave is the soundtrack you want for cyberpunk

You could find confy, but barring the corporate gated communities, you'd probably have to leave the city and venture out in the vast farmlands required to support those metropolitan populations.

I imagine the artisan communities from Stephenson's "Diamond Age" would be comfortable, although they'd require a lot of hard labor too. With fabrication tech being ubiquitous, hand made goods would likely be giant tokens of wealth, so there would likely be a lot of these communities of you were willing to give up tech.

No.

/cybercozy/

>you'd probably have to leave the city and venture out in the vast farmlands required to support those metropolitan populations.
Buy up some warehouses or fill some cheap skyscrapers with pink lights and you can start doing that in the metropolis

Still not on par will millions of acres of farmland, but it's a start

Synthwave is how millienials think, 1980s music was like.

Well cyberpunk is about what people in the 1980s thought millennials would be like so I guess it sort of fits.

>hurr millennials
Thank you for informing me your opinion is as worthless as your life.
Plus it beats taking samples of actual 80s music, slowing it down and calling it a new genre.

>Only if you're right at the top of the pile, and even then you'll have problems with those below you trying to kill you off so they can be on top. So, no.
The top of the pile in a cyberpunk setting is litteraly anti-cosy. What's left of the middle class can be pretty cosy tho (engineers, skilled craftsmen outside of corps clout, etc)

I'm not the guy you were replying to, ass-wipe.

>cozy comfy poopy :3333333333333333 xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
kys

>check out the movie Rock and Rule (also knows as "Ring of Fire" in Canada)

My brethren of mutated canine descent

I love Rock & Rule. Been meaning to watch the original Canadian version since I saw it.

>there will never be a soundtrack because all the musicians were with different labels at the time the movie was produced
>somehow a post-apoc cartoon featuring Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Blondie, and Cheap Trick was completely ignored by mainstream media because of a few Satanic references here and there

No, then it would be cybercozy

Don't want to miss out on the food shortage riots caused by industrialized farming techs out in Iowa, unhappy that they are the only human being for 30 square miles due to most agriculture being completely automated aside from repair and high end planning.

Shit's already happening with wacky crap like Farmers Only dot com, etc.

That's Monica Bellucci being raped in the butt btw.

>Synthwave is how millienials think, 1980s music was like.
I was born in 1980 and I love vaporwave because it makes me feel like I'm in the 1980s.

Now what?

No reason why not. Have you ever played ROM? It's cozy as all hell.

Yes, but I would argue it generally shouldn't be for the PC's - you're essentially stripping the punk element from it if you do that, and this is how you rapidly end up with something like steampunk.

Post-cyberpunk can absolutely be cozy though.

> Now what?
You're probably a closet homosexual who does a lot of cocaine.

Only one thing to do then. Create a Face pistolero, deck him out with sweet hair, all white linen/spidersilk suit, and an Ares Predator in 10mm. Don't forget a penchant for drinking alone in dark rooms while listening to "In the Air Tonight" while plotting revenge against the suit who killed his partner and got him kicked off the vice squad.

That's not saying much, really. Hit a long enough line and Kinsey's scale turns into a fucking slip and slide.

That's one hell of a quote

How ironic it would be that industrial farming like this opens up vast tracks of land and then people ironically begin living a life of subsistance farming in small communes because it beats living in the slums of the mega city

Based off of the loss of power due to AC transmission of power to the buildings, I don't think it will. Extreme drought might have done it for cotton or wheat, but there have been some crazy efficiency advances both in aquifer and irrigation technology lately.

There could still be a giant market for warm weather crops during winter though, along with tropical fruits in North America.

Well, I don't only mean crops and what not. Imagine once the meat industry gets to t he point they can grow meat in a lab. It's not synthetic because it's the actual cells being cultured so then maybe only a few farms continue where people actually butcher cows and chickens and what not. I'm imagining this plus advances in indoor farming as well

>grow meat in a lab
Huh. Yeah, this would absolutely fuck up a shit load of ranchers in my state and free up millions of square miles of land. I'm just not sure you could even live out here on subsistence farming without drilling wells. Might be worth trying over living in a fantastically future fucked favela.

This is where the cyberpunk aspect comes into play I feel. ghetto rigged solar panels, greenhouses to grow stuff when you can do it in the soil, repurposed industrial machines to do stuff like drilling for wells or making use of existing ones. rain catching and filtering.

I mean, it would be hard work to make it work but then farming and subsistance living isn't exactly comfy either no matter the romantic notions attached to it.

No, cyberpunk is supposed to be dystopic and uncomfortable.

80s means you're a millennial.

Dystopia does not mean uncomfortable. And regardless of the situation, you will always find people who will find what they consider comfy. Cozyfolk are appropriate for all settings.

True, I just mean the grind of living day to day like that, to me, doesn't seem all the comfy but then you'd have those rare moments when the work is done and you relax and look at the sunset.

That said, it would be neat to have a future America where a majority of the population is built around the coasts into mega cities and the middle parts of america are essentially empty save for the scattered communes, squats, and hold outs for whatever groups decided they wanted to take land and hold it.

It makes a lot of sense as future developments. For me, personally, while I love untarnished skies I also find late nights with the hum of electricity and dull glow of light polution keeping the darkness out of reach pretty damn cozy. Whether it's neon or holograms doesn't matter.

Not to mention, even then the ubiquity of technology adds its own sort of uniqueness about it like you say.

Imagine you're sitting on the porch of your house on a comfy chair and on the table next to you is a little hologram projector watching or listening to something you just got off the net or had delievered to you via some physical media. The porch lights are dimmed to save power on the batteries and you see moths flying around the little lantern that provides that illumination.

Mean while next to you your housemate is fixing up the prosthetic leg he's been working on but it's the old style ones that you have to hold onto the stump with straps because there isn't a doctor around that can do the complex surgery to graft a cyberleg.

Why is Doflamingo wearing a Power Glove?

He got a hold of a nintendo and insisted he wear it around until he got bored of it.

Yes.

In theory, yes.
In practice, it's all CMYK neon and very sterile hexagonal tile designs and clean lines, glaring computer screens vomiting bright bloom and brushed steel and chrome, none of which are things that tend to bring people associations of coziness.

>a majority of the population is built around the coasts into mega cities and the middle parts of america are essentially empty

On the macro level, America is already there. The catch is that it's urban sprawl instead of high-density cities. American city planning started up in the wrong era and the scattered homestead instead of farm-surrounded village history meant there was no corrective influence to automobiles. /pol/ reasons later on didn't help either - with lower security in city centers, the newly well-off in the 1950s bought suburbs and the next generations self-segregated for better schools.

If unrestricted cyberpunk security corps were a thing, and real estate laws were deregulated, moving to a high-density setting would be a viable future.

Makes one wonder what sort of major infrastructure changes would be inacted after a massive disaster, like say Mount Mckinley exploding or maybe a nuke going off in the states.

1. Cities in the Midwest are going to explode because property values on the coasts are just asinine. Median home price in San Fran is up to 1.5mil.

2. Those inner cities are being cleaned up not through security, but simply because gentrification is slowly dispersing their previous residents. We may see a future where the inner cities become high density, high value living spaces and the suburbs empty out.

A very good example of a growing urban sprawl I just visited is Bangkok. It's a large triangle-shaped conurbation, each side about 70km long, with Bangkok City in the middle. It englobes the cities of Bangkok, Rangsit, Samut Prakan, Sooner or later it will reach Ayuthaya in the North and the Chon Buri-Pattaya conurbation in the south-east. The whole thing doesn't really have a center. Instead it has different POI (e.g. university, airport, shopping mall, harbor, skytrain/BTS station, fun park...) around which some districts are built (commercial, residential, industrial...). The whole sprawl grows horizontaly and vertically - low-rise buildings and slums get replaced by skyscrapers that will house offices or condos. Navigating the whole thing is a mess. Streets are constantly jammed. To avoid jams, tollways were built that circle around and go through the core city. Elevated rail links are being built to connect the cities of the sprawl to the core but not to each other.

if it's cyber-noir, sure.

I find Japanese downtowns can feel both cozy and cyberpunkish.

I think it's the difference between something being run-down and it being broken-in.

whoops, meant to attach this

Who's the designer/season for those sets senpai?

Not that user, but bottom right is Acronym.

Cyberpunk has become the roguelike of Veeky Forums

Any deviations are grounds to denounce a cyberpunk setting as "just futuristic" or "a star wars ripoff"

Tom Ford and Acronym

>tfw no cyberpunk setting where richfags are listening to synthwave shit while going about their radical business featuring loads of bright turquoise and pink lights before their nauseating society comes crashing to the ground at the hands of punks

Sorry, I mixed a few things up. The top row is Versace (2010). Bottom row, right, is Acronym. Bottom row left is Tom Ford (2015). Don't remember who's the designer of bottom middle.

But what if the Sprawl of 20XX is the same as the sprawl today. Not a dense urban environment but instead the gas stations and shopping malls that slacker teens hang out at because they live in the suburbs and not actual neighborhoods?

Assuming public transportation doesn't get the kind of boost cyberpunk novels assumed it would, I can see the classic Bos-Wash style sprawl actually being just suburbs and trashy strip malls connected by endless twelve-lane superhighways.

The predominant mafia is Italian-American, the predominant megacorps are more like Walmart than high-end consumer electronics and firearm manufacturers. Lots and lots of heroin and meth.

Instead of future NYC, the world is future New Jersey.

Vaporpunk