>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

modernnexus.com/testing-mind-sculptor-data/
deck
channelfireball.com/videos/modern-monday-mardu-madness/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>just bought 4 vengevines

How fucked am I?

Delve is a pretty stupid mechanic because it essentially amounts to fast mana. Modern shouldn't be a format with fast mana.

yeah and that's why the strong delve spells are banned, even in legacy and vintage. But even cheap creatures are easily dealt with by cheap removal.

Unban Jace Mind Sculptor

There's no reason he should still be on the banlist in 2017 and the only reason he's still there is because kids are still butthurt from his reign in standard

>Brainstorm
>In Modern

Jace has to stay banned. Modern Nexus did testing with a Jeskai Nahiri/Control deck with him in it and it flat out gave the deck anywhere between 10-20% improved winrate over common matchups. In fact the winrate against Affinity went from over 58% to 70% alone when switching to JTMS from over 100 games. They tested 500 games across 5 deck matchups for a test of 100 games per matchup.

>4 mana brainstorm
>in a format with 3 mana Karn
>1 mana 8/8's
>tier 1 storm deck
>a dredge deck
>and other high tier diverse strategies

Hurrrr

I'd have to see the data for that. If you are just shoving Jace in decks that having them face other copy cat tier 1 decks in the meta now then yeah it's gonna show an improvement.

It'd be very difficult to replicate a meta where Jace is unbanned and have pros and the metagame adapt and change to it's unbanning. Since there is no way they could have done that their data is garbage.

Basically they took the Jeskai control/Nahiri deck and ran games with Nahiri and then ran another set of games where Nahiri was replaced with JTMS and flat out JTMS always performed better. The only matchup where the win rate was increased less than 10% was Ad Nauseam where it was only improved by 4%.

They played 1000 games, 500 games per Jeskai and "Jacekai" list. Took five months to complete the data.

modernnexus.com/testing-mind-sculptor-data/

Total newbie here. For cards that change creature type, is it kosher to use two descriptors? My current deck needs Wizards because of Docent of Perfection, and I'm looking at adding in Lullmage Mentor/Merrow Commerce; if I added in Xenograft, could I choose "Merrow Wizard" and have every creature count for all three card effects?

This is why im glad shitters dont have access to the banlist. The format is starting to feel too pushed and fast as it is. Its called Modern, not nu-Legacy. It should be slower then it is now ideally.

First of all "Merrow Wizard" is not an actual creature type, i'm guessing you meant "Merfolk Wizard". Merfolk is one creature type, Wizard is another creature type. Creatures can be multiple creature types e.g Merfolk Wizard, Human Wizard, Elf Wizard, Human Shaman, Elf Shaman etc.

For Docent of Perfection you have to use Human Wizard tokens or some cards to represent them that cannot be confused with others e.g using any token card face down to represent the Human Wizard tokens. You cannot use your Merfolk tokens from Lullmage Mentor to represent these Human Wizard tokens as you will need to be able to discern the differences between the two creature types. If one set of tokens gets targetted with say an Echoing Truth you need to know which tokens were which.

Okay, good to know, thanks. If I stick with my current plan, I'll just go with whichever type is more useful at that moment.

Honestly if you want to slow down the format a little bit you unban Stoneforge Mystic. They did testing with Stoneforge Mystic as well way back in 2016 and the only matchup it had a significant impact against was Burn. Every other matchup was very slight between 2-5%.

Just sleeve up a bunch of tokens that are a different sleeve back to your deck and use those to represent whatever tokens you need them to be at the time. If you're using black sleeves then sleeve up some tokens in red or blue until you have the right token and use them facedown to represent your creature tokens of sorts needed. As long as you can represent and discern them apart clearly then it's valid at most casual REL events.

Fuck off Batterskull! God damn are nu Phyrexians annoying

Print Innocent Blood in Modern Y/N?

how do you justify to your friends, family, and gf (?) that you pay hundreds of dollars for painted cardboard with no intrinsic value?

Pretty art, next question

Legacy is a pretty slow format senpai.

Pls response

>bought several playsets of vengevines and hollow ones during the hyped r/g tech
>deck doesn't even make top 32

of course

I only play on MTGO so they don't know

>Waaaahhhh I didn't make money on a small penny stock mooooooom

Repost from last thread:

Sup modern players. Got back into MTG, haven't been playing since Oath of the Gatewatch came out. What's the new meta trends in Modern since then, and are there any new cards that could improve my Troll Worship deck?

list: deck (dot) tk/8zgJ2Ei6

>MTGO

>The format is starting to feel too pushed and fast as it is. Its called Modern, not nu-Legacy.

If anything Legacy has been "speed up" slightly due to the banning of top

Also nobody is getting exploded by Vengvine with Survival of Fittest in Legacy for years

I dont want to play Brainstorm the format
I just want Tron banned so midrange can come back

>thread q

If you could bring a mechanic from legacy into modern/standard what one would it be and why?

Also, im torn beween getting a fate reforged Fatpack for a amonkhet fatpack. dunno what one to get

Madness

Threshold.

Also don't waste your dough just buy singles.

true, butthe box it comes in is nice. but imbetter off getting singles anyway

I earn my money and spend it however I choose

>Threshold

my man

The Chinaman, so in reality I've only spent like $100 for a deck that's """"worth"""" $900

Enjoy my secret tech

>If you could bring a mechanic from legacy into modern/standard what one would it be and why?

Fading

earn it back via magic, its extra income

green paper vs colored cardboard

how do you justify using paper over a barder system?

Nigga how do you justify posting that ugly bitch? That #Imwithher fridge is a damn mess.

Fate Reforged has fetches, Amonkhet has Invocations.

>Do you want more Delve cards in modern?
yeah, there were two blue ones floating around for a while that were real good. when those decks are good, my decks are GREAT.

>Playing, Haitng etc
legacy. don't like the crowd that modern attracts to my lgs these days and the format isn't really interesting enough to play online any more. already qualified for rptq so i really don't have anything to do in modern unless a starcity 1k comes around or something.

Should I build 8-rack or just stick to legacy pox? Most my friends play modern, whereas only one or two play legacy and only one shop by me has legacy night. Currently playing UW control, but want another deck and have always liked MBC.

Don't ban Tron Lands, ban the stupid Eldrazi bullshit that WotC printed in BFZ and OGW
I would not shed a tear if the banned Chalice while they were at it.

Tron on its own is mostly harmless, it only gets gay when you add in a 4/4 beatstick that has an etb thoughtsieze and a 5/5 with trample haste and hexproof

>threshold
I would fucking kill for Barbarian ring in Modern.

Is it correct to side out cursecatchers vs tron for ceremonious rejection?

I don't think they do anything against tron anyway.

What's the best black card in Modern and why is it Thoughtseize?

>Bardersystem

A system using bards as currency, much better.

>muh intrinsic value
Good try. Fact of the matter is that I purchase magic cards to expand my credit limit.
>buy a playset of Aether vials on a new 300.00 limit card
>pay it off
>limit increased to 500.00
>just expanded my available capital by 200.00, lost fuckall in percentages

You should get better at buying unregulated assets. :^))))

who the hell is that

If your friends question your magic purchases then you aren't friends with the right people.

unless you're destitute and still buying cards. At which point the problem isn't magic.

because it's pay B and lose two life to remove the most important card from your opponents hand.

I honestly wouldn't care if wizards hit thoughtknot and/or reality smasher, however I don't think they will as those cards only really are prevalent in those specific decks (at least to my knowledge).

as far as I'm concerned, I only feel like thoughtknot is the one that specifically is ahead of the curve in value.

Whatever happened to that one taking turns deck?

So is Mardu Madness a good deck or just a meme

>mtgo will never be like hearthstone with cool animation

Too many people get caught in the trap of, "Thoughtsieze is a one for one card". Well it is, but it's one card or your CHOICE, and the information of what your opponent has in their hand, and what deck they run. The value of choice and information has proven itself time and time again in MTG. The choices the casting player makes are the most powerful in general. You take the card that will hurt your game plan the most, and in rare cases a TS can win the game, for example by ripping out a sideboard answer brought in to hose your deck, or to even have a chance of winning.

IoK is similarly as strong in situations where decks don't run anything above 3cmc (of which there are many), but it is not as good vs other decks (midrange) and cards (Delve or split cards for example). What really breaks TS in this format I think, is the fact that there is no T0 counterplay except Leyline. I would not be sad to see it banned, there are other more situational, but still good, cmc 1 discard spells that would replace it.

GDS is only as strong as it is because of TS where the life loss is a good thing and Snaping it back is a good way to shut people down for good.

Just Ban eldrazi temple we dont need workshops in modern.

Meme.

Fuck. It looks really fun

Post a list since I have no clue what you are talking about.

wheres the legacy general
i dont wanna hang out with you fags

go make one then

Just shill legacy on these threads. Maybe more people will see the light and we can have regular legacy threads. Or you can just make another one.

channelfireball.com/videos/modern-monday-mardu-madness/

This thing

Why does the edh babies get to have it?

>muh ancestral recall

It wasn't nearly as broken in modern as it was in legacy. Probably still too strong for modern babbies, though I think that DTT is fine.

it depends, how much did you buy them for?

Questioning whether I should play Modern or draft tomorrow. I feel like if the ban list announcement is bad on the 28th im just going to go to playing draft for a while.

*main decks relic*

>no more Standard General

EDH is the only one that's consistently around

>The synergies are through the roof, but there’s no mistaking that this is a deck that shines against creature-based decks more than control decks. I say this as I ended up rarely being able to profitably cast my Big Game Hunters and never being able to flip my Voldaren Pariahs.
>Just think how good those Big Game Hunters would have been against cards like Tasigur and Death’s Shadow!

?????

The problem is that we have this jank scheme of Madness concealing the fact that there are still a great deal of RBW power cards running this deck. Lili, K Command, Lingering, etc.
We're just using a suboptimal shell here. With those same power cards, we could put them into an actual deck and do much better.
Don't get me wrong, if you're building some Jund deck or derivative and have your Lilis and K commands laying around but no goyfs/shadows, this is fine. It gives you something to do with the cards while waiting to buy the rest of the actually good cards you want.

This article is the typical "hey we have inventory we can't move. Let's throw it into a shell and try to sell people on it"
same game Saffron Olive plays.

>meme game type is around the most
not surprised

Magic is a meme game

Batterskull wouldn't even be an issue. All the top aggro decks right now could beat it as is.

You would be correct. Eldrazi Tron doesn't cast much instants/sorceries other than Dismember and All is Dust and they'll hardly be casting either early. Traditional tron is depending on the colours usually casting Ancient Stirrings/Path/Push/Sylvan Scrying/Anger. None of which are something you really need to tax with the Cursecatcher.

I might keep Cursecatcher in against traditional tron but definitely not against Eldrazi tron.

So I wanted to make a weird tron deck that ran banefire, rolling thunder, craters claws, and torment of hailfire as possible wincons. So far I was thinking of the 12 usual tron ramp artifacts, ancient stirrings/sylvan scrying, Iok/thoughtseize, karn and ugin, and 4 wurmcoils. Anybody ever try this? I'm open to suggestions or ideas.

So Jund colored Tron? It should work alright, because the core cards are so strong against other midrange and control decks, but I don't see the advantage to running Banefire over Emrakul as a wincon, even in terms of inevitability.

There's a meme monored tron variant that's pretty sweet, some youtuber guy loves it, i can post a version if you want, it runs some Fireball-type spells

there's also a goggles/koth/moon deck that puts Fireballs to good use.

Why not just go mono black? You get hand shredding, wurmcoils, boardwipes besides all is dust, and torment to finish them off. Also gives you a more stable manabase. You could even run GB with that shell if you want extra digging cards and artifact/enchantment hate for the sb.

I just like ~X spells more user
I'd appreciate links or decklists, thanks
See my first reply

But black still gets x spells, while being a better color in general. Also, if you're casting big spells in modern you either need to cheat them out, or ramp up to them. Since you're ramping, you should use cards that compliment ramping better than just mediocre damage.

here you go duder.

it originally had staff of nin instead of trading post, not sure if that card makes your dick hard, but it didn't do it for me whereas trading post + tronlands always gives me a rager.

2 goggles might be too many since legendary as well but hasn't hurt so far.

My bad, I should've clarified I meant ~x damage spells. But I probably will run some hand rape since why not
Thanks do much dude

Sounds like you want to play Eggs Tron.

Because it has a huge secondary market. It's one of those hobbies that I don't feel any pressure droping 500€, since I can get that value back (sometimes it ends up increasing). This helps a lot when you still don't have a paycheck, only the initial fee is the barrier. Also it's fun.

What's eggs tron?

Just play KCI

Go through your entire deck starting turn 3 or 4 until you get (insert win-condition card here)

Is Modern Pay-to-Win?

No. There's just a pay-to-entrance fee. After that more money doesn't help you.

You take an Eggs deck aka KCI Eggs and you slap Tron lands in together and you have Eggs Tron.

ALMOST TIME TO SET OFF FOR GP BIRMINGHAM FAGGOTS

Oh boy, can't wait to see GDS dominate the top8!
So exciting!

GDS doesn't do well at events dude.

GDS was fringe at GP Vegas, it was still DSJ at that time, and DSJ is bad.

They can't fight through my Chameleon Colossus ;^)

>implying half the field isn't eTron

Punted my games tonight at a small Modern tournament. 1-2 drop. Its not all bad since it means I can play better tomorrow but I just wasnt playing as good as I should have been. Death and Taxes always trips me up since their creatures are usually must kills. I just have a hard time playing against it. Oh well heres to playing better tomorrow.

GDS is always heralded as the strongest deck in the format but it always disappoints. Can't even remember the last event it won

Eldrazi Tron is the true king of the format

Does anyone have that spread sheet of the modern tiers. I need it.