EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Old Lore Edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but people often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Wizards: Great choice or greatest choice?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>B/R
Why even play this dumb combination? Prove me wrong.

So far the wizards seem really fun. I'm interested to see what the third legendary is.

Waifu reprint!

I'd say self mill. You don't want to ever exile shit from hand.

Also, look at this adorable synergy. Turn your combo General into a shitty Raise Dead.

The wizard deck has brought in some of the coolest stuff so far with only two legends. I look forward to the third and Taigam.

Sweet. I knew her or Jeleva would get reprinted.

Gate Mage

Creature - Human Wizard

Flash

~ enters the battlefield during the declare attackers step, you may reselect the player or planeswalker that the target attacking creature attacks

Forgot 2U cost

Wouldn't work.

Wow. They really went crazy with that new wording.

I guess they were terrified of it ending up like Balduvian Warlord.

Is Scarab god in Mairsil valuable?

That's a qt rogue

Because you enjoy it.

mfw

It happens sometimes in Magic, where it's SUPER easy to explain what you want something to do, but the wording for it to actually WORK within the rules is complicated.

Like Animate Dead. "It brings back a dead guy with -1/-0, and if this Aura leaves the field, sac that guy." But to work, it has to be an Aura that enchants a creature card in a graveyard, brings it back, then converts itself to an Enchant Creature card to work.

Back off of her.

Only warning.

Wanna fight about it? "Exiled with" refers to that specific object with the ability.

But she Queen now

So I don't have to play RW

Sure, why not?

Haha, OP, you seemed to have forgotten the Discord info. Here it is:

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just try to be less forgetful next time.

I want to cage up Kozilek.

Actually, it's a linked ability. "Exiled with" on a card like Bane Alley Broker specifically refers to cards exiled by the ability to which it is linked (in this case, the first ability on Broker), not all cards exiled for any reason.

607.5. If an object acquires a pair of linked abilities as part of the same effect, the abilities will be similarly linked to one another on that object even though they weren't printed on that object. They can't be linked to any other ability, regardless of what other abilities the object may currently have or may have had in the past.

Example: Arc-Slogger has the ability "{R}, Exile the top ten cards of your library: Arc-Slogger deals 2 damage to target creature or player." Sisters of Stone Death has the ability "{B}{G}: Exile target creature blocking or blocked by Sisters of Stone Death" and the ability "{2}{B}: Put a creature card exiled with Sisters of Stone Death onto the battlefield under your control." Quicksilver Elemental has the ability "{U}: Quicksilver Elemental gains all activated abilities of target creature until end of turn." If a player has Quicksilver Elemental gain Arc-Slogger's ability, activates it, then has Quicksilver Elemental gain Sisters of Stone Death's abilities, activates the exile ability, and then activates the return-to-the-battlefield ability, only the creature card Quicksilver Elemental exiled with Sisters of Stone Death's ability can be returned to the battlefield. Creature cards Quicksilver Elemental exiled with Arc-Slogger's ability can't be returned.

So, Mairsil will pick up both of Broker's activated abilities, which will be linked, but ONLY those two are linked. Mairsil could do the "draw a card, then exile a card face-down", and use the "return a card exiled with ~ to its owner's hand" ability to get it back, but you could NOT use that UB T ability to get back cards that were exiled by Mairsil's ETB trigger.

How can you tell at a glance if they are linked? I believe you, but I want to know for future reference.

If they're printed on the same card, they're linked.

She's asking for it.

Experience.

But also, the rules.

607.2a. If an object has an activated or triggered ability printed on it that instructs a player to exile one or more cards and an ability printed on it that refers either to "the exiled cards" or to cards "exiled with [this object]," these abilities are linked. The second ability refers only to cards in the exile zone that were put there as a result of an instruction to exile them in the first ability.

Because they are printed (not gained) abilities on the same card that refer to one another.

Understood. So, just a general rule, no current wording can overwrite it.

To be fair, 607.5 tells us that it's entirely possible to obtain linked abilities and still have them work. Mairsil can do that, but the abilities are still ONLY linked to each other, not to any other abilities on Mairsil.

If you ate a Bane Alley Broker and a Sisters of Stone Death, you could use the Sisters' linked ability to exile-and-steal creatures, and you could use Brokers linked abilities to draw-and-exile, then return-from-exile, but no mix and match.

Injured girls are my fetish.

Oh shit, I just realized - if you imprint Mirror-Mad Phantasm, activate, then send Mairsil back to the command zone, you just mill your whole deck, don't you? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Well, technically it could be overwritten, because the CR explicitly says that any time a card's text directly contradicts the CR, the card wins.

Just, they probably *wouldn't*.

>if that player does

>Lab Man
Fucking kill yourself.

Sure. I was more referring to the fact that they can't be mixed; it's only the ones that are printed together. I could have worded it better.

Anyone feel like the Wizard theme is really underwhelming. Trying to unite a loose tribe with a generic mechanic seems uninspired.

Well that's one other way of winnning with lab man I suppose.

No, you are the only person who thinks that.

Yeah, when I said "current wording", I meant cards that exist they have that wording.

It would be neat to have just an aura that gave a creature an ability to fuck with its exiled cards.

He never mentioned Lab Man.

Wizards have always had a thing for giving each other tap abilities.

Shuffle it back, then replace putting it back in with going to the command zone. I'm not sure if it works, but I hope it does.
Lab Man is one option, yes.

Have literally just seen the spoiler and no other discourse about the card so it wasn't reply bait. I was seeing if I was missing something with its synergies with other Wizards.

Milling your entire library is a pretty awful idea unless you're going for Lab Man or have an infinite combo that works from the grave. So you go for Narcomeba, Fatestitcher, something else, Dread Return for a Necrotic Ooze, and then what?

Fuck. I am now at 2 decks I have to build now.

What wincons should I use for zedruu pillow fort?

>Fuck. I am now at 2 decks I have to build now.

Only two? Lucky.

Would you still be able to look at those exiled cards though? Mairsil doesn't gain the static ability "You may look at cards exiled with Bane Alley Broker"
So if you used the second activated ability, you'd just have to pick from the pile, without knowing which one it is?

The tap ability to lose life seems super inelegent and the splinter twin ability feels hamfisted. It's not a bad card and s wizard deck with it at the helm is alright but I can't help but look at the Vampire and Cat general and regular rares and feel a missed opportunity for Wizards.

Donating Transcendence.

You wouldn't be able to look at the cards, but you'd need to keep them separate from the other exiled cards for that purpose. SO you'd have a stack of "Things exiled face-up by Mairsil, which have cage counters", and a stack of "Things exiled via Mairsil's copying of Broker's ability, exiled face-down".

>Mairsil gives me a lore boner
>Mairsil gives me a jank boner
>Mairsil gives me a boner
I can't NOT build him.
I mean who would build Ramos + Door to Nothingness when your commander can be the fucking door

I have 7 decks right now.

I didn't even entertain the idea that the new Grixis secondary would be so fun and build around.

Now I'm stuck thinking of entombing Kozilek and smashing this guy out turn 4.

Well there is still one more grixis wizard legend to be revealed.

You're off base with the inelegant comment though. Wizards tapping for abilities was part of their thing in Odyssey and Lorwyn too and this fits.

To elaborate on I felt like instead of taking something that Wizards normally want to do and then elevating by attaching a wincon to it, they just made a generic engine with Wizard subtype. Something like Diviner's Wand or Docent of Perfection comes to mind for examples of the former.

It'll let you counter some spells. I'm thinking of a +1/+1 counter bizarre voltroj deck for him. He's very unique.

>combo general
What's the combo?

I want to use that new Enchantment that puts divinity counters on things in a spirit tribal deck with Myojins in it to get repeatable board wipes/discard/draw

Wait, so instead enabling jank and interesting combos, you want ways to turn wizards sideways and attack?

>Your commander can be the door

>Grixis
>5 colour

Hm

He curves from Buried Alive. If you grab Aether, you got plenty of cages, but you probably want to have mana up.

Don't worry, I would never turn my back to a rogue.

Phyrexian Devourer to mill your whole library and Lab Man win.

Well, there currently isn't any crazy good ones found.

Anthroplasm and Sage of Hours gives you 5 mana repeatable timewalk.

I'm sure there are combinations of two that instakill, but I'm not that style of guy.

yes

>You may activate each of those abilities only once each turn.

Considering that the current legal "Take an extra turn after this one" cards are 5 mana (Time Warp, Temporal Manipulation, Capture of Jingzhou), and that has to be 3UU instead of 5 generic, that's pretty good.
>inb4 "dies to removal" and "needs haste"
You're not going to be using Greaves in your build around commander?

Yeah, that guy is a dummy. You can Magister's Scepter and Ventifact Bottle with some untap like Staff of Dominion.

I'm doing some jank with it. But you can do some infinites with some work.

I don"t see how tapping to lose life is a "jank and interesting combo." In fact, it's even simpler than actually attack. I was using them as an example of something wizards naturall support and turning it into a wincon, something this Wizard commander doesn't do.

>5 mana repeatable time walk
>Purely from activated abilities, so you need a stifle to counter it.
Sounds pretty much like an instawin to me, barring stuff like Smokestack being on the field.
It does die pretty hard to removal though.

I've got seven decks myself and two more that are in the building stage and that's BEFORE these new sets came out.

One of my EDH buddies has more than two dozen decks if I'm remembering right...he may have taken some apart to build others. It's gotten to the point where he's making wonky theme and gimmick decks for shits and giggles. His latest is a deck with nothing but banned-in-EDH cards and before that, he made a deck with 85% lands.

Just checked with judge IRC; they say you don't mill with Mirror-Mad if you send Mairsil to the command zone. I'm still gonna wait for an answer from Tabak; but it's not looking good. Still, "1U: Mill a bunch, then get another imprint" is pretty nice.

It's Grixis not Rakdos dipshit

Not if he's an Aetherling too.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Rakdos, not the new commander. Rakdos tends to be a crappy color combo.

Shuffle Mairsil back, then put him in Command when gets milled. Simple shit.

I play down combos to cEDH people because I know when they say "combo" they usually mean "resilient, effectient combo that wins even if the opponents has a solitary confinement, thorn of amethyst and sulfuric vortex, a hand full of countermagic and terminates"

>mfw casting Stifle on Animate Dead's ETB

What's the rules debate here? Commander zone changes are a replacement effect, they never go to the original zone

Nice combo. I think I like Gemstone Array more than Ventifact Bottle though.

Last thread somebody posted Ventifact Bottle + Magistrate's Scepter with is 4 generic to infinite with Mairsil but needs some means of untap (if he cages a Pili-Pala it's 5 mana and 3 cards, if you have an untapper on the field it's potentially cheaper but relies on keeping something else alive)

O wait nvm

He can only get 1 counter a turn from gemstone, he's not skullbriar he'll lose the counters if you flicker him. Also, it'll be more expensive -- 6 for the 3 needed to scepter rather than 4.

Gemstone Array only gets you one counter. Remember, you can only use each ability once per turn.

Literally just searched for "o:: o:extra" on magiccards.info. Not particularly inspired. Going infinite with this guy either requires Flicker or extra turns due to his restriction.

Personally, I hate going infinite so I probably am just gonna be caging big dudes with drawbacks. Stuff like Shaku or Helldozer.

>working on Karrthus.dec
>spoilers cmd2017 come out
>now torn between 5c or jund
>mfw im halfway jund
>mfw 5c needs 10 fetches/shocks
>mfw i just wanted to play dragons

Staff is one cheaper and has other utility.

for me, I just want to cage Barl's Cage, but only because I can't cage Ith without donate+mindslaver to someone who just happens to have him.

Where is dickass Taigam for wizard #3

>and has other utility.
This is the key part, otherwise Pili-Pala is fairly equal. Remember that while it costs 2 to untap you get 1 back.

If Mairsil copied this chucklefuck, would the bat be able to return him, or would it look for Sengir Nosferatu?

Mind's Desire on a stick. Clearly the best deck.

>needs 10 fetches/shocks
Woe is me, to NEED the exact expensive cards they tell me to play.

+ 1 spell for infinite tokens at end step, infinite burn at upkeep.

It would go for Sengir. It would essentially read "Pay 1B: Exile your commander to get a bat and Sengir"

He's going to be UB, user.
The 3 legends are supposed to be the full color combo, so Inalla, Mairsil and Marchesa.

It would return a card named sengir Nosferatu in this case.

Why does it cost 1? Wheel was 2 and Will was 3.

Oh well. Not busted, so I guess I'm fine with it.

Yep, I'm dumb.