Malifaux General

"Stuffed Piglets deserved what they got" edition

>Books
Malifaux (Including Ripples of Fate): mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach (Complete): mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - New models
Book 5 - Just announced

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

Link to the previous general:

What are some must have buys for Seamus and McMourning? I've got dead doxxies, more dogs, another frankensteins monster, bete noir and rafkin.

Fuck you man, they should've gotten a buff if they are going to crank that garbage to be equal in points to bayou gremlins.

Kudos to Raptanon for cracking on and doing the build immediately after the suggestion.

I reckon that would look pretty damn good painted up with the Raptor perched on top of the frame.
The previous user's idea of having it bursting out of the mirror would probably be hella fiddly, but maybe you could do it with the middle Raptor cut off just behing the leg join, so you have the head, body, wings and claws emerging from the mirror.

For Seamus, especially if you want to take advantage of his new upgrade, you should get Yin and some Hanged in order to make terrifying duels harder on your opponent. Datsue Ba is also a nice option, as she can summon seishen to block LoS so Seamus can back alley easier. For McMourning you could go with Autopsies and a Rogue Necromancy for more poison and general damage.

ThisI was honestly thinking, if activation was the only problem with the model, why not make them 2ss, for ~2/3 of an activation.

All you need is a rule saying something like :
>Inconsequential
>After this model finishes activating make a flip
>On a ram or crow you must immediately activate another model, ignoring the rules for chain activations

Boom. Now the gremlin player either has a 50% of the model not counting as a model for activation purposes, or has to cheat cards of their hands to do it.

So you propose making it a model no one ever takes, just for a different reason than Wyrd did?

You still take them for fillers. Also potential chain activation with no range limitations is pretty good.

Randomness is Germlin's bag. If you only use the model for activation control, then you're exactly the type of gremlin player people were complaining about.

Chain activations are only good for alpha strikes, which stuffed pigs are ill suited to be part of. Especially in GG17, out activation is king.

If you're already playing gremlins, you're probably out activating already.

And even with a debuff, a pair of them would be the same as a 4ss model, which would still help out activate most crews. And if activation is kings, then there isn't a problem throwing cards out to get more

There's much grumbling that 3ss for a Significant Minion already makes the Bayou Gremlins next on the block for a brutal Errata.

Though those same people also seem to be complaining that killing is too easy and powerful, so I don't really know why a Df4(?) Wd4 model is the big problem.

I do sort of agree that the proliferation of hugely killiy models and extreme damage-output combos undermine the "Malifaux is different because it isn't about killing" angle.

If they errata Bayou Gremlins, I'm just going to ignore the errata.

There's been a bit of a power creep for both killy and non killy models.

I think the only thing that hasn't been keeping up is resiliance.
There been good killing creep, scheming creep, VP-denial creep, but models seem to be about as tough on average.

I'm looking for some nice tables as inspiration for terrain building. Can somebody hook me up?

Carrion Emissary. One of the best buys for the entire faction.

So is the only Emmissary people don't actually take the Mysterious?

Here is what Wyrd brought to Gencon last year. They used the Pegasus Hobbies gothic architecture kits (You know, the ones everyone and their uncle uses for 40K) and set them up as to not occupy too much space.

Lucky doesn't seem to see much play either.

>Dat table
It's a shame how good they look seems to be inversely porportional to ease of playing.

My FLGS has metric shittons of 4Ground-style shit for all sorts of tables. which is great.

Arcane.

Mysterious sees play, especially in tandem with Rougarou and Tooth. It's also pretty good in extraction/turf war where it can deny a pretty large area of the scoreing zone to your opponent unless they want to risk 1/4/5 damage.

Carrion and Shadow are hands down the two best off. Next is Brutal where it's slightly situational but still a strong overall model, then Mysterious and Hodgepodge where they're completely situational picks, then Lucky as a maybe every once in a while model, and finally Arcane bringing up the rear as never used for anyone, because why take that when you can take Howard or Joss or Mech rider?

I have to agree with you there. I say that Hungry Land is somewhat underrated, as if you can put it down on your opponent's side of the table it has more than done its job.

Longshot I know, but does anyone remember a Colette Vs Ironsides game on Twitch posted up in either one of these threads or the awful place in the last week?

I was going to watch it tonight, and now I can't find it.

Also, anyone know good Malifaux batrep vids?

Guerrilla Miniature Games do decent ones (mistakes and inexpert play aside), and Rough Riders Wargaming have a half-dozen, but output has dried up.

Cheers lads.

Rank your masters based on FUN.

Getting wasted tier
Lynch
Brewmaster

Optimal pick tier
McCabe
Shenlong

Menial labor tier
Asami
Mei Feng

One trick pony tier
Yan Lo
Misaki

Seconding this. I really wish there were some tournament battle reports.
I need to see how to play hamelin properly after hearing people complain about how op he is

>Activate rats until your opponent is done activating
>Do your own turn
>???
>Profit!

>what do you mean Malifaux isn't supposed to play like 40k???

-McMourning
-Molly
-Nicodem
-Tara
-Yan Lo
-Reva
-Kirai
-Seamus

>Leveticus
>Titania

..i'm pretty new

Is it sad I enjoy playing Box Pandora, and pulling the enemy master and henches into the Boxy Death Bubble of Doom (TM)? Even if I get blasted off the board alot because everyone generally takes shooty crews in my local meta

>Somer
>Ophelia
Pretty new to this too.

Think I might branch out and get Nico or Lucius next.

Nah. It's really only a problem if it's clearly sucking the life out of your meta and you still don't stop. Keep things fresh and it'll be fine.

I played a bit of Neverborn and enjoyed Collodi, so I'm not one to judge anyway.

Maximum fun
>Collodi, Dreamer
This is pretty fun
>Titania, Pandora, Lynch
I have no idea what i'm doing tier
Lilith, Zoraida

>Oh shit nigga, what's going on?
Jack daw, parker

>No fun allowed tier (also drown them in rats tier)
Hamelin, tara

>Point and click
Levi, misaki, Vik's

>What am I doing with my life tier
Von schill

Daw is awesome he's so different compared to most masters

Really interested to see Ramos' new upgrades, after what that one user was teasing last thread. I like him and his crew a lot conceptually but he seems like a very "solved" Master right now.

Basically you just deny schemes in the right pools. LIke you can't score Tail 'Em against a Hamelin crew, and rats are great for denying claim jump, as well as being peons so they aren't a liability for most schemes that penalize having fodder.

Do I have the right idea?

Claim Jump-Deny with ratkings
Eliminate the Leadership-Survivalist on hamelin
Accusation-Immune
Dig Their Graves-Doesn't count peons
Leave Your Mark-reactivate winged plague with rat catcher
Frame for Murder-?
1 Covert Breakthrough-reactivate winged plague with rat catcher
2 Undercover Entourage-Nix?
3 Show of Force-?
4 Hunting Party-PEONS COUNT
5 Hidden Trap-Ratcatcher in a group or obey into a marker?
6 Recover Evidence-?
7 Set Up-?
8 Search the Ruins-Deny with rat kings
9 Mark For Death-Immune
10 Tail 'em-Put rats around corners
11 Inspection-reactivate winged plague with rat catcher
12 A Quick Murder-Ratjoy bomb?
13 Last Stand-Nope

You have a weird mix of how to deny and how to score.

Wong
Somer
Zoraida
Brewmaster
Ulix
Zipp
Mah
Ophelia

I need da supports baybee!

Let's fucking PARTY! tier
>Mah Tucket
>Molly
>Marcus
>McMourning

No thinking required tier
>Reva
>Dreamer

Spread-sheet tier
>Kirai
>Brewmaster

I regret my life choices tier
>Seamus
>Yan Lo
>Von Schill

Hey guys, soon will be tag team tourney in my city. What you think will be nice combo from fractions? maybe Nothing beast and Poltergeist?

Can someone rank neverborn and arcanist masters - I need a fix and want best tournament master from each faction also GG 2018 WHEN ?

Arcanist:
T0 Sandeep.

The rest.

Neverborn:
T1: Collodi, Lilith.
T2: Dreamer, Lynch, Titania.
T3: Pandora, Zoraida

Unranked Tier because I haven't played him in his new form yet: Lucius.

Thanks - does new book and units help someone in those factions in any way ?

>Only way to get Trixiebelle tier
Mah Tucket

> Muh fetish tier
Ophelia

> Only other master I own right now tier
Jacob Lynch

Sandeep is so strong right now that models coming out in book 5 would have to specifically be unhirerable by him while also being severely undercosted to raise Ramos, Colette and Marcus to his level.

For neverborn, Serena Bowman might be able to edge Dreamer into T1, because giving all Neverborn enforcers access to the Nightmare characteristic is very strong for him.

Lynch is getting a nice buff in the form of Gwynneth Maddox for more card control and another brilliance vector.

Titania is getting an interesting beater out of the Cyclops. Frozen Runes is pretty ridiculous when you have 6+ scheme markers in range of it. Makes her even better in Extraction/Turf War than she already was.

Lucius get's a nice addition with Guild Investigators, which basically just add more restrictions to what your opponent can do. Also Vogel, a mix of control and beating.

I would rate it more:

>T1: Collodi, Dreamer, Lillith
>T2: Lynch, Pandora, Titania
>T3: Lucius, Zoraida

Dreamer's too easily countered to be in T1 IMO. Collodi and Lillith both have plenty of options if you want to disrupt what they want to do.

>Dreamer's too easily countered
How so?
Pic related, specifically anti-summoning tech, or Ca spam?

I know, it's great. Once you get your head around what he does he just becomes so much fun.

Model's coming in at 1 Wd make it easy to mitigate his spam if you have an efficient killer, which is very common nowadays. Or he spends his turn beefing up 1 summon but nightmares aren't all that durable outside of Stitched Together.

Also any Ca heavy crew or a crew with blasts is going to be absolutely destroying him, and it doesn't help that all the best masters from most of the factions can pick him apart in some way.
10T can either mess up his positioning or blast onto him. Shadow Emissary for free blasts, Ohaguro can stop Df triggers in an aura, Huggy is a strong Ca vs Df and can literally 1 shot him if he can focus and attack, Shenlong will just blast onto him with High River or fuck up his positioning, as well as stealing Fast from his summons, McCabe has the glowing saber, Asami can target Ht. Sandeep is Sandeep and has his box of tools for the whole crew.
Reva and Kirai are both very good against him in their own ways.
Sonnia and Nellie both fuck with him, Sonnia especially.
Somer can outspam him, Wong can blast onto him, or Zip can just target his Ht. also Lightning Bugs just ruin his day.
Outcast is really the only faction that doesn't have things that strongly counter him, although Taelor just ruins his day with trying to summon while she's around.

>Misaki: Blow-up Sex Doll Edition

Outcast wise I think Hamelin can be a pain to Dreamer in the same way Somer is and just spam him out.

Anyone here that actually plays Wong and Somer (not just keyboard warriors) that can give me a quick run-down on when and why you take one or the other?

There's a guy locally that plays Zipp almost exclusively, even though he has both the others, because Somer takes too long and he doesn't feel like Wong's non-killy tricks are working for him.

Sounds like I should really get around to that Raspie crew I've been fiddling with...

Yeah, they didn't quite get that face right.
Having seen other paintjobs, I don't think it's the painter's fault.

First time ever looking into this game. How would you guys suggest starting? Definitely seems easier to get started in than other skirmish/war games.

How many models are usually brought to the table in this game? Seems like forces are pretty small

Yeah the game simulate gang war scenarios, so the model count is pretty low.

You start with a Crew box with a master in it, and maybe one or two boxes of a unit to add onto that crew. You now have a full sized crewed and ready to play.
Oh and get a set of playing card and a measuring tape.

>How to start?
Buy two crew boxes from the same faction.
In 90% of cases, that's enough to be playing full-size 50-point games right off the bat.

You're looking at 6-10 models per side, but initially I'd recommend a couple of 20-point games and a few 35-point games - the options are a bit overwhelming, games take a long time to finish if you jump straight in at the deep end.

>>How to start?
>Buy two crew boxes from the same faction.
Seconding this. Gives you enough to play some basic games against each other, and enough to have some options in playing full 50 stone games.

Nice! And as far as deciding a faction are there some that are more "advanced" ei not good for beginners?

I read in one of the books that some masters can effect the hiring price of some other units but haven't found an example of this. Is it a thing or did I mis read?

Faction-wise there aren't really stuff that is too advanced.
There are a few Masters (especially Ressurectionists faction) that would need a few more boxes bought, because they tend to summon zombies or spirits etc. on top of the models they start the game with.

There are also a few that are a bit over-complex, but I don't think any (except maybe Jack Daw) that will be outright difficult to play - just difficult to reach the top-level shill.

Mercenaries are models that anyone can hire for the normal hiring cost +1, which might be what you're thinking of.
A lot of them are Outcasts (yellow faction).

I would say most factions can easily be played for beginners, but the Guild is known for the most straight forward play styles, while Neverborn is a big bag of tricks.
Some resser masters might not be great, since they are often about summoning, which can be a toll on your wallet.

And there is almost no price manipulation on units in this game as far as i'm aware, so you might have misread something.

Fair enough, thanks for the advice guys!

When looking at factions, every faction has some easier and some more complex masters. Just look at which faction's play and art style you like most.

Gremlins plus anyone who wants a giant pile of corpses.

It's rate Pandora hire. She can wreck crews if given the chance.

Guild and neverborn, just to bring in The jury with neverborn.
>masks for everyone!!!

Wong you take when you need scheme marker displacement and you suspect the opponent spamming armour.

Somer does everything. He's low on mobility but seriously he's good for everything now that Lenny nerf has made Ophelia completely obsolete

>He's low on mobility
Giving himself a mask he's hyper mobile. Squeal is HUEG for mobility.

>Squeal is HUEG for mobility.
To be fair, I do keep hearing about these awful Turn 2 16" push DILD +Ram alpha strikes after summoning 3 Bayou Gremlins Turn 1.
Somer doesn't sound like a slow Master.

It's funny really - most other factions would hesitate to spend two or three activations solely on popping the Master's defensive trigger, but Grelmin spam is strong enough that you can have a couple do barely anything for two turns and still be worthwhile.

68 posts 11 images.
Come on lads, I know it's a polynesian wavereaders imageboard, but it's still an imageboard.

Somer is just fucking amazing.

Summon some Gremlins for a gun line turn 1, then rocket up the field and murder a model a turn Rambo style.

Forgot a picture.
Here's some trial I'm working on.

Somer needs to be nerfed on so he doesn't shit on every gremlin master.

That would be the third consecutive nerf to the faction in a round. At that point, the faction would be a chore to play at events without some kind of buff elsewhere.

I do agree though. The game does seem to be more about piloting missiles into the other guy now, rather than incremental VP gain like before. Shame.

Or maybe they need to buff the other five jank Masters in the faction instead?

The entire faction just needs reworked.

ThisSomer is top tier, but the bigger problem is that masters like Ophelia are sub par, or strictly awful in Mah's case.

The Lenny nerf was probably needed, but it honestly hurt Ophelia and other masters more than Somer.

The jank masters do their job fine for most part. Somer just does everything they do like how Sandeep does for arcanists

I disagree. If Gremlin unplayable garbage it were smashing every tournament I could see an argument.

What exactly do you think needs to be reworked?

Ulix, Wong and Zapp do this jobs fine. Ophelia is debatable, depending on what you think get job should be.
Mah certainly doesn't do her job fine.

Zorida and Brewmaster are up in the air two, but they're both duel faction and see more play in their other factions.

Remove Gremlin

This. I just want to play a serious adult game with no joke factions and zombie hookers.

Ok I bought Sandeep and now want to play some games with 50 pp - what are other good for him models ? I heard that things like winter acolytes and oxfordian mage - does he need a beater ? Wind gamins are still game ?

>with no [...] zombie hookers
Whoa there. Let's not be hasty.

His totem is a pretty good beater, another might not be out of place.

Sorry meant.
>I want a serious adult game with no joke factions. And also zombie hookers.

>gets beat by gremlin.
>implying everyone isn't a joke now

We have won

Maybe that's why Gremlins hat so much hate.
>My serious dollies can't loose to your joke dollies!
>This is serious business!
>Reeeeeeeeeeee!

>"this attack must declare a trigger if able" intensifies

Kek

The other five Masters are sub optimal.

Not that guy but I think Gremlins have horrible internal balance. I'm not talking from a "Gremlins ate OP!" perspective or as a tryhard tourney player. There's the objectively best options, and then everything else. Many models in Gremlins see little to no play because there's no reason to take them in place of a better model, and new models struggle to find a place in the faction. All factions suffer from this to some degree but I think Gremlins suffer the worst.

I could see that. The my recent wave of models sense like a prime example of that.

The flying pigs seem like the only model that will see play, and even then it'll be as a summon.

Pretty much. Any new beater model is going to be compared to Francois, Burt, etc. Support bloat can be a real issue for Gremlins, so any new supportive model is going to fight with Slop Haulers and whatnot for a place. Producing new models for Gremlins right now seems to be something really gimmicky only taken with one or two Masters (i.e., Swine-Cursed), something really aggressively priced that may be unbalanced, or you end up with something no one's excited to play at all.

I don't think it's a problem unique to Gremlins. But they definitely got fewer models close to the usable end of the curve this wave.

how does Titania play? New player here, looking to get in. If I grabbed her box, what else should I buy to get an ok 50ss crew?

She and her crew loooves objective markers.
Titania is decently tanky with her wound pool and how she heals whenever scheme markers are dropped.

I dont know what exactly to recommend to add onto her, but i'd look into something to replace the Gorare (it's absolutely useless) and then something mobile that can drop scheme markers.

that's atleast my two cent on it.

Get a Primordial Magic, as said, it's cheap and useful, the gorar is trash.A Doppelganger is a decent pick whatever master you choose.
Nekima is pretty expensive but absolutely wrecks stuff and synergises well with Titania's "Queens Champion" upgrade.
If you don't mind spending a bit of cash I'd recommend getting Liliths box too, Barbaros works great with Titania and the Terror tots are great for running schemes.

Good lad.
Is that a swamp hut on stilts type of deal?
I could see a table like that being pretty fun - lots of walkways and huts and such, with the majority of the rest swamp.

Myopinion on Gremlins lines up with this guy They need a re-work, and they do, because as a faction they don't make sense at the moment in the way that others do, not simply because they are over-powered.

Having said that, I think they are crying out for some serious attention from the top-level tournament players to break them good and proper before the Gremlin Wyrd subforum stops the continuous rolling victim complex shit.

I picked up the new edition of Through the Breach, never actually tried it before but it looked cool.
Going to run a game for my group soon, I've never actually done anything like this before but I'm looking forward to it.