Character Backstory Help

Will y'all help me with a backstory for this character please?

My GM didn't want me to play Human Fighter, preferring that I do some special snowflake shit like his other players, so I am making a bard based purely on pic related. For the special snowflake race I figured I would make it a set of animated armor with a soul bound to it. I figure the mannequin-esque guise of this guy will allow me to play him as a mute bard, communicating through body language, Message cantrip, and instrumental motions, for an interesting take on a class I've never played. This should add to the creep factor, since I am supposed to be an Evil character for this campaign. Other than that, I don't know how this character got to where he was and I am drawing a blank.... Any ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sh7BZf7D5Bw
dandwiki.com/wiki/Modron_(5e_Race)
dandwiki.com/wiki/Ghost_(5e_Race)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP here, and I wanted to say that the above character development is just sleep-deprived brainstorming, so if y'all have completely different ideas of what this character could be, then please share. I am definitely out of my comfort zone with bards.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know how much actually role-playing you guys do, but I'd be worried about my ability to participate in such things with this character. I had a character who could only talk in a hoarse whisper, and that alone was a challenge. I mean, I like the idea of communicating via gestures and body language, but since you, the player, aren't likely to be an expert in that, I think you're gonna find your options are pretty limited. I suspect you'll end up falling back on "my character gestures that X", which is okay for less immersive games, I suppose, but probably wouldn't fly in most of the ones I've been in, where we tend to talk in character.

I don't know where you found the pic but I posted it in a character art thread a few days ago ! And it's a great picture.

I could recommend playing something along the lines of a warfoged, but different. Warforged were created to make war (obviously) but maybe some wizards thought it would be a great way to have efficient servants that do not need to sleep, eat, drink or breathe and are virtually immortal. This one was created to be an artist and the magic infused in him allowed him to inspire the people around him and make the wizards' receptions joyful and lively.

But the construct, like all warforged, had a conscience of its own and took offense in being used virutally as a living instrument by his master and creator. He didn't have any means to destroy him however so he decided to tackle the problem his way.

Every day and every night the wizard would ask for music, enchenated by the instrumental
prowess of his creation. But, every day and every night, the music became each and every time a litlle sadder. The warforged instilled all his music with pure melancholy, so subtly and gradually the wizard never noticed and fell into a state of depression and apathy so intense that, after years of influence on your part, he ended his life, setting you free.

Those have usually a big level adjustement though, you might want to talk about it with your GM.

I guess you could say your character was a hoarse whisperer ?

Now that you mention it, I can definitely see that this could be a problem. We get pretty heavy into RP and I normally play pretty talkative "Face" characters, so I am trying to figure something to do that is a bit different. Maybe using Message to speak in people's heads or speaking in a very stilted manner, with slight pauses every couple of words? I normally rely on accents, but I am trying to play a quieter creepy character (really to let other players take the limelight as I have a tendency to do this and I need to fix it) this time so I want the rare amounts of speech to have an impact.

Honestly, I probably grabbed it from you, as I found this in a character art thread a few days ago lol. I have never looked into Warforged before, but that sounds amazing! I will probably use this. Thank you, user!

I can't give you much help on bards, whose class I despise (though your take is, at least, interesting), but I guess you're more asking for an origin story. Not really sure where to go with that either. Are you thinking more animated mannequin or undead guy? I guess either way, a curse could play into things; the question is why is he tied to music? Maybe a Devil Went Down to Georgia-type scenario ( youtube.com/watch?v=sh7BZf7D5Bw ) gone wrong could work. Or maybe somebody who literally sold his soul to increase his musical aptitude. Or just somebody who became so obsessed with music that it consumed his life and even in death his obsession lives on, preventing his soul from leaving. Or it could be that he was a talent musician who sought a magical fiddle, which it turns out was cursed.

or else, play a modron
dandwiki.com/wiki/Modron_(5e_Race)

You're welcome !

There's a simple solution for that : speak at a lower level and use the third person (plural for added effect) when talking about yourself, indicating there's more than meets the eye inside the mask.

I've played a character who never spoke or wrote a word, and only communicated through facial expressions, body language, sighs and violence.
The game didn't last long, only about seven sessions, but I didn't get bored playing her. In fact, her restrictions made playing her more fun, since I had to come up with inventive ways of communicating sometimes complex ideas.

what system you fucking nincompoop ?

5e you rapscallion

I love the third person plural idea.

Always creeps people out, especially if you can achieve doing it completely seriously and seem not to notice you're doing something bizarre.

for the special snowflake race, you could try to bargain with the GM and see if you can play a ghost ?
ghost of a bard posesses random schmucks and uses them to keep composing his symphony, throws them away when they're used up ?

dandwiki.com/wiki/Ghost_(5e_Race)

Honestly, I am not sure about undead or mannequin, as not only is this the first bard I've ever played, it is also the first time I've ever tried to make a character based on a picture. I normally come up with a background for a character, then go about classing and stating them appropriately, so this is a new experience all together. I definitely love you suggestions!

also the mask would be explained to try and hide the fact you're basically pupeteering soon-to-be-corpses
when that eventually comes out in play, that'll be a hoot to explain

That's a cool idea too, just jumping to a new body, changing into the uniform, and continuing on. That would definitely throw my group for a loop.

and as far as evil goes, that's pretty darn evil
how you choose to play it is going to play a lot for the creep factor
try not to be too edgy if you do pick the ghost
a safe bet is to go for the "detached and obsessed" attitude, but not so obsessed as to be single-minded (or simple-minded for that matter)

Would you mind clarifying what you mean by the "detached and obsessed" attitude just so I know I am on the same page with you?

Op here. Let me run this by ya..

>Musical virtuoso in life
>Constantly encouraged by his wife to compose.
>Had relative fame until his wife passed away.
>Due to wife's death, he sunk into depression and obscurity.
>Because of his love for her, he wanted to write a song to fully capture his feeling for her from beginning to end.
>Dies before this can be completed.
>Now Ghost Musician who's unfinished business is to finish this symphony in honor of his wife that is to be his Magnum Opus.
>Does this by any means necessary.
>Possesses people to use them to fulfill this goal until they wither and die
>Uses creepy mask to hide the fact that he is walking around in a corpse puppet.
>Easy set up for a legend of an eternal musician, traveling to broaden experiences so he can accurately display these feelings through song
>Named Vivaldi Maninoff

Thoughts?

Mannequin race

* +2 Charisma, +1 Dexterity
* Medium, 30 feet move speed
* Living Construct: You are immune to disease. You do not need to eat, drink, or breathe. Instead of sleeping, you fall into an inactive state for 4 hours each days, during which you remain aware.
* Puppet Joints: You can fit into spaces and through gaps as though you were one size smaller than you actually are. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) rolls for contortionist feats and fitting through tight spaces, including tumbling.
* Built for Beauty: You have proficiency in one skill of your choice from the following list - Acrobatics, Insight, Performance, Persuasion.
* False Appearance: If you stand completely still, you appear to be nothing more than a life-sized doll or mannequin.

Taken altogether, that's 4 racial features (very tight) for a total Detect Balance score of 24-ish (extremely inoffensive).

Then at 3rd level, take up either the College of the Crossroads or the College of Deviltry. Both homebrew, and I can't link either for some reason, so just Google them. I'm a fan of the latter.