media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread
Rogues and bards, which skills did you take Expertise in? Have they served you well?

Other urls found in this thread:

enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?363601-Bardic-Lore-A-Basic-College-of-Lore-Bard-Guide
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJWZ7jQRLW
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Take expertise in religion, the most useful skill.

>Rogues
Stealth and Thieves' Tools, then two from Investigation, Perception, and Sleight of Hand depending on which ones have been more common in the campaign

>Bards
Persuasion, History, Insight, and Deception, in no particular order

cute merfolk bard

Posted this a couple threads ago, and got some good feedback on it from a couple people, thanks for that!

Pride - Oni - Demon
Wrath - Barlgura - Gorilla
Sloth - Bone Devil - Skeleton
Gluttony - Nalfeshnee - Boar
Lust - Marilith - Snake
Envy - Vrock - Birds
Greed - Rakshasa?- Tiger

Pride - one of the PCs (gets asked to join the bad guys)
Wrath - Warchief of some raiding army
Sloth - Religious figure? Subverts things to get people worshipping him.
Gluttony - Gambler/lord/all around decadence
Lust - Madame or slave trader? Deals in pleasures of the flesh
Envy - Half-Elf lordling/prince obsessed with being better than everyone out of spite rather than personal development.
Greed - hoarder of all things, in particular knowledge.

Now we're working on fighting styles and such. So each of these people has a demon bound to them - all willingly except the PC. Thinking for the boss fights they should take on aspects of the demons, as they obviously don't want to be killed. For the Marilith it's easy, she grows snake like features - tail, fangs, then gets the four extra arms to make six. Given her theme is Lust we thought a fighting style of grappling, squeezing, kissing/biting with poison etc.

What would you all suggest for the others?

some guide was saying that stealth and perception were must haves
enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?363601-Bardic-Lore-A-Basic-College-of-Lore-Bard-Guide

>First rogue
Acrobatics, Stealth, Thieves' Tools and Nature

>Second rogue
Sleight of Hand and Deception

>Bard
Persuasion and Insight

Screw the kind of munchkins that make optimization guides for a fucking role playing game

Oy is the some kind of Anti-Paladin class in any official capacity. I know I can play a Paladin of any Alignment but Lay on Hands hardly matches the feel of a dick-ass knight.

>5e
>Guides

>Lay on Hands hardly matches the feel of a dick-ass knight
Use it only on yourself

>Perception
Every guide I've read that treats Perception as a godskill assume it's used to search for secret things like in Pathfinder, when it's not. That falls under Investigation, and most rolls I've made or had people make in 5e have fallen under Investigation. There's relatively few situations where more than one person needs to be good in Perception, and chances are a cleric or druid is on par with the rogue or better, even with expertise.

In other words, 3e had Spot, Listen, Search, and Gather Information. Pathfinder had Perception [Spot, Listen, Search] and rolled GI into Diplomacy. 5e has Perception [Spot, Listen] and Investigation [Search, Gather Information].

Not a bad choice of a skill for anyone, but hardly a godskill like guides assume.

All of the posts on lfg are in the U.S., the last time someone from my country posted on that was more than a year ago and it had zero replies, and roll20 is mostly English and I can't speak English properly.

Nature is the more useful knowledge skill in my experience. Although it's nice to just have all of them with a high Int score and know everything.

Every guide in those sites assumes every people's games run the same way, a hard-RP game would use Charisma-related skills way more than Stealth/Perception, for example.

Plus they religiously believe Investigation is a skill that doesn't exist.

How would you minmax a sorc?

It's still pretty godlike just for getting you to see an ambush early, and with your passive Perception you get a more steady return on investment for it than a lot of skills. You wanna Investigate, take 10.

...taking 10 is still a thing in 5e, right? I just realized I never checked.

I could really use some walkthroughs for Battlemaster, preferably spoiler-free

>...taking 10 is still a thing in 5e, right? I just realized I never checked.
Technically it isn't, but 5e encourages you not to roll in the first place if you could reasonably accomplish a task if they have enough time to do so

That's OK most native English speakers can't speak English properly.

>Bandits have been hitting merchants
>Much of their wealth is in trade goods
>Keep going back to the fucking goats and chickens every time I'm looking at prices

It's so fucking dumb but I want to give them like 100 goats

Cha, Dex, Con, in that order.
Dump Str, Int, Wis, in that order (8 str, 10 int, 12 wis)
Decide if you're going to be a blaster/buffer/whatever, because Sorcerers are really hard to change their spell list early.

>Taking 10 is still a thing in 5e, right? I just realized I never checked.
Sort of. That's what Passive checks are, but the rules don't explicitly allow players to choose to do it.
However, given the presence of the Observant feat's +5 to passive Investigation, it's reasonable to assume that someone searching a room can use their passive Investigation if they aren't under some sort of pressure.
It's always subject to DM permission however, unlike in 3e where it was an active player choice. To clarify, while the DM always has final say on anything, certain things are available for a player to more or less freely use, like the Dash action, and some require situational DM permission, like modifying your Background Feature.

You can post on lfg yourself. Might be worth a shot.

How useful are the guides in 5e? Where there's less emphasis on optimization.

At this point I'm even looking through normiebook. Sure, why not, I'll make a plebbit account.

>normiebook

Just put your highest stat in your class' primary ability and you'll be fine

Fuck

Battlemaster Guide:
>Take Precision Attack. Use it if you get a 12-15ish and expect to miss, depending on what you know about the target's AC.
>Rogue in your party? Consider Commander's Strike. It's expensive to use, but the rogue's damage can be huge. Otherwise don't bother.
>Pick any one you like that adds the superiority die to damage. If you can't decide, Menacing Attack is always useful. Even if they make their saves, you get a free "crit" of damage.
>Use your dice liberally unless you think the creature is almost dead anyway. You get four of them per short rest, so you'll be fine. Reaching a short rest with dice remaining is leaving damage on the table.

Using snide terms for tools millions of people use doesn't make you cooler, you know.

That's not unreasonable if they attacked a goatherd. Livestock theft has always been a problem.

I haven't left the house in 5 years. I don't give a shit about looking cool, you mongoloid.

That's one way to get rid of barbrogues

But saving 15% on my car insurance does.

thx 4 making the internet a better place ;)

I think you might need to reassess the tone of the post you're responding to

You're writing it just fine, if that makes you feel any better.

My gf is gonna play with my group for her first time ever, never having played tabletop before (my friends gf played with us a few times n everyone had a good time so our group is ok with the idea). She's wants to play a rogue which is ok in our party comp too. My question is how hard is she gonna have playing one? I've never played a rogue so I can't help her out on this one. I tried pointing her to an easier class like champion fighter or even sorcerer but she's likes the concept of sneaking around and assassinating targets behind enemy lines

You're welcome!
I realize we're on Veeky Forums and anonymity breeds douchebaggery, but I honestly think we'll all have more fun talking about D&D than calling each other names.

The difficulty of a Rogue is 80% dependant on how bad your DM is and 20% on how stupid you are.

If only writing properly made up for speaking like a literal retard. Most campaigns I found on roll20 require a microphone, and the text only option gives me a handful of bad homebrew stuff.

If you haven't already you should run a short solo one shot with her so she at least understands the basics and doesn't hold up the actual game with her learning/remembering how to do stuff.

Pugs are a horrible animal. The kindest thing we could do is to let them die out. What practical purpose do they serve? Most dog breeds were made to work some specific goal, or to have desirable physical or behavioral traits; those that weren't good at hunting down truffles or guarding sheep were at least friendly and cute to look at. But the pug is a malformed monster from head to toe. Its stubby legs can't carry it anywhere, its tail is useless for balanceand its squashed face is not only abhorrent to look at but has a detrimental effect on their ability to FUCKING BREATHE.

It's time to let pugs go. It's for the best.

You're right, and I say that as someone who owns a pug.

But goddamnit they're just so loving. They care so much about people. It's literally bred into them.

I look at the poor creatures and I just see something that loves me.

Too late, they're becoming a PC race.

I don't think every breed of pet needs to be justified with having a specific purpose or that there's fundamentally anything wrong with useless lap dogs. I completely agree that pug breeding has gone far off the deep end, and ending that line would be a mercy though

Luckily I'm the DM. Unluckily I'm pretty fucking retarded so there's that
Good idea, was tossing that idea around in my head a few times. Thinking of doing something like shes a bounty hunter in a big city given contracts, dead or alive targets, that sort of thing.

Player wants to try a Kobold Rogue in our next game, and I really don't like the look of Volo's. Are there any good alternative write-ups for Kobold PCs, or are they all just Pack Tactics + Sunlight Sensitivity garbage?

What's wrong with sunlight sensitivity/pack tactics?

I actually agree with that. I've met some adorable half-pug crossbreeds that were every bit as cute but could actually breathe, which made me happy. I just posted that picture because it was the only other happy dog picture I could find in my random pictures folder.

Racial adjustments: -2 constitution, -1 intelligence
Short of breath: your disfigured snout imposes disadvantage on any athletics check that involve endurance.

>Rogues and bards, which skills did you take Expertise in? Have they served you well?
As a Bard, I grabbed Deception, Persuasion, and Insight. Deception because I was an Evil character in a Good-Neutral group, so 90% of what came out of my mouth was in some way dishonest, and Persuasion because it was always easier and more profitable to be honest when possible, so that 10% better go right.

And Insight so I knew when it was the 90% and when it was the 10%.

I don't think the one shot would have to be particularly complex, just have her roll a lot so the process of rolling attack/damage/skill checks gets cemented.

>Racial adjustments: -2 constitution, -1 intelligence
>Short of breath: your disfigured snout imposes disadvantage on any athletics check that involve endurance.
+2 Charisma and +1 dex if we were being serious about it being a PC race, along with all that stuff.

I would say 20 ft of movement as well.

Might as well kill myself, lads.

Good call, thanks m8

Pack Tactics means you get advantage on basically every attack.

This is then "balanced out" by giving you disadvantage (which Pack Tactics cancels) on any attack you make in broad daylight. So depending on the group and campaign, even the non-downside will never be relevant.

If I'm a dungeon-crawling game, for example, I can enjoy Pack Tactics the entire campaign without Sunlight Sensitivity ever coming up. It's not a balancing feature.

Giving races "downsides" literally never works, it's why the core doesn't bother with it. Like giving Orcs -2 Intelligence; was anyone planning to make an Orc Wizard in the first place? No? Well, they certainly aren't now, so the "downside" isn't one, and doesn't detract from any other features you give that race.

pact tactics is op unless you're in a campaign of sunny open fields where just ss cancels it out so what's the point anyway

Bye

So how do we fix the Kobold pc race?
I say get rid of -2 strength and pack tactics. I would argue to remove sensitivity as well but I don't know what features you would add to replace it all.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJWZ7jQRLW

Play a hoard kobold paladin, like in your image

Be brave sir lizardy knight

And carry everyone's shit

What have peep's experiences been with playing and/or running 5e?
Is it still a good game or has it become boring and stale?
Did your expectations change or largely remain the same?

It's good, despite the simplification of a lot of rules. I wish feats played a bigger role though.

You could just add a Proficiency or two. Stripping out Pack Tactics and Sunlight Sensitivity, you'd be left with a high-DEX race with Darkvision who can start crying to give advantage against enemies within 10 feet once per fight.

I think more races should have distributable +1 ability scores with subraces just having different features. I think it would increase character variety and give more options when rolling a new one.

The DMG has the "oath breaker"-oath I guess? That's about as close as you get I think.

Playing a kobold with no weakness to sunlight that has no real traits that reflect being small seems like the most pointless shit ever. Why even be a kobold if you aren't going to be at least a little pathetic? At that point you're just a lizardfolk or worse a dragonborn

There is any race that gives advantage in perception checks in some situations? Some monsters do that, any race does?

Isn't that the point of Grovel-they act so miserable and pathetic that people lower their guard to laugh at them?

Maybe that's because of the streamlining of a lot of the rules? It's certainly less autistic than other games.

I don't think so. There's only races that give perception proficiency

I meant it in the sense that feats are technically optional rules. Most people use them but as a result Mearl has stated that they had to design the game without them in mind.

How many encounters a day are good?
do you use short rest long rest rules as written?

the homebrew linked didn't have that. It was basically just min-maxed in racial stat terms towards rogue under pretty generic terms

Doesn't get rid of them, but balances them.
However, barbarogues are already sort of balanced to normal barbarians if the normal barbarian takes fucking feats like they're supposed to.

Three. Encounter, short rest. Encounter, short rest. Encounter, long rest. And by encounters I mean something that takes a significant toll on the party and expends their resources.

Shortsword or dagger, /5eg/?

Shortsword for everything but throwing.

Then you use a dart.

The only reason to use a dagger instead of a shortsword is if you aren't proficient in the latter.

>or
pleb

whip

Hand crossbow.

It's a direct upgrade unless you're a barbarogue.

Greatsword

>Being a filthy light weapon pleb

Just nut up and fucking join an English speaking game. If your post is anything to go by, your English is better than a good chunk of native English speakers I've met. You'll be fine

>no scientist background
>no science skill

My parties in a really tight spot right now and the Warlock in the party is suggesting trying to work out a deal (in the middle of combat) to see if her Patron might intervene.

How would you handle this?

Wrath should be a relentless force of nature, pummelling things to death and hitting things that go unconscious to make sure they are dead

get Sloth some necromancy, raising things to fight for him so he doesnt' have to fight

No idea about gluttony, maybe some buffs from eating during the fight type thing? I dunno how video gamey you want to go here.

Lust you've covered. For Envy some sort of bard type spellcaster who shuts down others so they can't have nice things? Or steals their gear/spells and uses them against the party?

Greed could be temporary HP as a mechanic, the boss? Storing up more and more things and hoarding stuff? Also aren't Rakshasa's meant to be like super cunning and devious? So mabye illusions showing the party getting their shit stolen or their worst nightmares sort of thing.

Wouldn't that be Sage or Cloistered Scholar, along with whatever proficiencies are germane to your field?

Look at the Cleric's Divine Intervention feature and modify that, perhaps

Or you could just make it so that the Warlock's patron doesn't give a fuck. What is the patron, anyway?

Generally, the sort of beings that warlocks make pacts with are not the sort of beings you want intervening in the material plane.

Then again, if they well and truly are boned, they might as well try. But lordy, will they regret it.

This

Most warlocks probably wouldn't want to be noticed by their patron. Death is often better than the patron showing up

There's a lot of takes on the warlock concept, but I agree that a warlock that actually wants their benefactor to intervene on the material plane is a cop out at best

coming from 3.5, fuck feats. I wish there were less, They tried desperately to avoid using feats in design but COMPLETELY FUCKING FAILED. Invocations are also correctly labeled as warlock bonus feats. Don't lie to yourself Merlman, your fetish edgelord class requires them.

Whatever happened to oddball whip proficiency? I mean bards used to have it but they don't fucking need it. Do any of the newer races get Racial Whip? Shit was strong as fuck.

Only reason I'd allow a Patron to come when called would be to trade for another party member's soul or whatever. Warlocks are USED UP. Already got their boons, they can pay the fuck up if they want more.

Explain superiority dice and rage as an in character thing

Why are barbarians only able to get mad a certain amount of times and then they can't do it anymore?

Why can fighters only swing their sword a special way a certain amount of times before they just say "ok back to hitting normally" after they do it enough times?

Fiend patron

Yeah they're not gonna give a fuck

How are sorcery points and Flexible Magic supposed to work if you are using spell points instead of slots? I've seen some people say to just combine the pools and let the sorcerer do whatever with his spell points.

Are barbarian rages supernatural? I'm pretty sure that's just mundane crap. No need to explain it.

>Sorcerers
>Work

If they're going to sacrifice a party member to save their ass, it might get their attention.

Has the player been receiving (and following) instructions from their patron?