RWBY-like game

How do I make a RWBY like game without it being a RWBY ripoff? I want to recapture everything that made it good.

Other urls found in this thread:

danielbayn.com/wushu/
mediafire.com/file/ive72a5iuyr8uyi/Legends of the Wulin - Bookmarked.pdf
mediafire.com/file/uyagpexh95hpq6t/HalfBurntManual_FINAL.pdf
mediafire.com/file/bu9p1ky87dd9rl4/LOTW reference sheet.pdf
nuklearpower.com/2012/01/11/nerding-it-up-with-legends-of-the-wulin/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tell me what this is about, other than "generic harem simulator", which is what it looks like.

You could just put a game in the setting if that's something your group would be up for.

I run a game in the RWBY setting using the tri stat system. probably one of my funner games to run.

Just run a straight up RWBY game, unless your friends don't like it for some reason.

Its more of an "action battle waifu" deal. No harem or moe garbage and very little actual romance. Pretty fucking sweet so far.

>very little actual romance
The fanbase is filled with enough shippers that not even dead characters can change that.

Legends of the Wulin. It works perfectly for that high-flying, high-action Monty Oum-style combat and you just need minor tweaks to internal/external styles for the weird pseudo-magic that everyone who's a major main character has.

pic related best grill

Here's the inevitable d20 opinion; I put together a campaign based around the setting minus about 50 years and what I could determine about its history. The World of Remnant bits have been giving me loads to work with. Refluffed a bit of it as magic so that the players didn't reject it out of hand upon realizing the actual source material.

Homebrewed a resource system wherein any magic has a required gold-cost in terms of a substance that, when applied by a willful soul toward an effect, reacts in a supernatural fashion.

PC party starting out in Mantle prior to The Great War and will be getting hints of things going south and hints of a malevolent entity guiding all involved parties toward conflict.

>everything that made it good.
So nothing at all?
>without it being a RWBY ripoff?
I wouldn't worry about that, RWBY was already a rip off of a dozen other anime, magical fighting high school, with unnatural monsters that look suspiciously like the hollows from Bleach, part human part animals who only ever seem to have ears or a tail, MC fights with a bladed weapon despite an abundance of projectile weapons etc etc could not be any more generic

its a fun "hack and slash?" game.

however, its short and not many different enemies. so you will probably get bored at after 5 hours.

worth buying on steam sale for a couple hours of fun with the friends.

I know someone who used Mutants and Masterminds 3e to simulate semblances and aura very well, so use that

Imagine the generic shonen anime that a typical weeaboo high school student fantasizes about making someday, except the absolute madman actually went and made it on a shoestring budget.

>No harem or moe garbage

Bullshit, Ruby herself has gradually been transitioning to retard moe. She's grown less and less useful since the mid-season 1 finale.

In fact that was the last time she won clean against an actual threat and didn't need BIG TITTY NEE-SAN to carry her.

Or worse, season 4, where she's sidelined for The Amazing Adventures of Asian and Redhead.

I've never actually watched RWBY, but am I correct in assuming that Yang is the only decent character of the main cast?

>So nothing at all?
We're talking about RWBY, not your sexual history.

She had no character development until the end of season fucking 3, and before that she hadn't even really been established as a character to begin with. Somehow she's still a better character than Ruby, who still has no real personality to develop.
Weiss is still best girl tho, even though she did fuckall in season 4

RWBY is derivative garbage that appeals to the kind of person that would consume anything that vaguely resembles anime regardless of quality, as long as it has waifus and shipping.
No need to be ashamed about liking something that is made to appeal to the lowest common denominator, has shitty animation that is surpassed by 10 year old cgi, and is basically completely fucked when it comes to having any shred of originality or plot quality.
The only good thing to come out of it is the OST.
P.s. fuck your waifu.

We're talking about the show, not the shitty videogame adaptation.

>She had no character development until the end of season fucking 3

That's good. That's a good thing. Or at least it WOULD have been a good thing if she'd done what her character type is SUPPOSED to do and fucking die at the end of season 3 instead of just get crippled so she could indulge in Yangpain.

Characters like Yang exist solely to promote the development of other characters. Developing them is a mistake.

>best girl
>racist, spoiled rich bitch whose "character growth" comes from being browbeaten into being a halfway decent person before moving on to her next bit of shitty, bratty behavior

>Dragon fucking a kangaroo island

She's just the generic snarky gurl brawler, then she got her arm chopped by discount Vergil from Devil May Cry and had some PTSD for a bit, then she got a robot arm.

>Racist
>When every single Faunus has either been a thief, liar, terrorist or untrustworthy

I want to FUCK that titty kitty!

>forgetting Velvet like this
She did NOTHING wrong.

Oh no a stranger on the internet called me a virgin, I'm traumatised!

Team RWBY
>Hyperactive moeblob
>Uptight rich girl
>Broody McTrustIssues
>Snarktits McFistPunch

Team JNPR
>-10 HP prodigy who's tired of being famous
>Bumbling but well-meaning leader dude
>Stoic Asian guy
>Loud chick with a grenade launcher/hammer

Her semblance is to literally steal other people's abilities

No, you dumdum, only their weapon and the skill to use it. She can't copy semblances.

Wushu.

danielbayn.com/wushu/

Blake a shit, Blake's mom is the new hotness.

>rwby
>everything that made it good

Rwby is a terrible show that's only saving grace is good music and great fighting choreography (and the guy who made that happen is now dead) neither of which is ideally represent in tabletop form.

If you like it then whatever but I don't think rwbys good traits translate well to this medium.

>A Legends of the Wulin fan

BROTHER

PDF?

Also, pic related is actual best grill.

There's an RPG called Wushu where the more intricate, violent choreography you work into your attacks and defenses, the stronger they are.
It's practically tailor made for RWBY.

>>stoic asian guy
Who is also -10hp
rip

I've been somewhat interested in something similar, I think making a system for highly customizable weapons would be really cool. Anyone know systems that do this?

Ren aint dead though. Unless he an Nora are boneing. Then his pelvis is just gone.

>-10hp
Just the original VA. Secret Asian Man is probably doing alright story-wise, no real reason to kill him or Thor until later story elements where they've had time to showcase the ship a bit more so that it matters when one of them dies near the end and sets up the other to hold the line against impossible odds to buy Team Show Title to make a break for The Wicked Witch of the West.

Please no, dont kill the only thing this shows got left. JNR at least have comfy fun times compared to RWBYs ever growing autism

>coolest girl Coco
Nice.

Welcome to the autism parade. I'm actually in a RWBY game. In Anima. All it has is a houserule for aura as a shield bar. Other than that we just fluff all the semblance shit with ki techs and limit classes to martials. It requires a group willing to not break the game on purpose but otherwise, it's been pretty good.

She did less than fuckall in season 4, and took way too much screentime doing it.

They really need to get their shit together for the next season.

mediafire.com/file/ive72a5iuyr8uyi/Legends of the Wulin - Bookmarked.pdf

Core rulebook

mediafire.com/file/uyagpexh95hpq6t/HalfBurntManual_FINAL.pdf

Fanmade content

mediafire.com/file/bu9p1ky87dd9rl4/LOTW reference sheet.pdf

Rules quick reference

nuklearpower.com/2012/01/11/nerding-it-up-with-legends-of-the-wulin/

Why it's awesome

Say something if those links are dead btw, mediafire does some shadowbanning shit these days so I don't know if my links are dead

Thanks user, the links work fine. I'll definitely be giving this a read.

Get better taste in pop culture

I liked it when their weapon creativity was better, hell ruby hasn't used her war-scythe in a few seasons.

People only got into RWBY initially because it was more of Monty Oum's over-the-top fight choreography, except now it was in an original setting with original characters and an original plot to go with it. Indeed, for the longest time, the fight choreography was the only redeeming part of the series.

I'm probably going to shill OVA as another RPG you might want to check out, I find it works quite well for this kind of setting.

Strike!, because if you are going to have lot of fighting, it may as well be good.

It's also one of the games that give 0 shits about realism.

not even a little bit.

I actually have to agree with you. While the animation is bad, the choreography itself was pretty good.

I'm curious, why do all character names sound like they've been ripped off from some lazy fanfic oc's?

Apparently monty made a rule wherein everyone had to have some form of color in their name and be based off a fairytale character.

It gets really old after 2 episodes.

Okay, so I'm thick. As far as I can tell, only Ruby, Weiss, and maybe Qrow are.

What fairy tail is Yang supposed to be? She's a generic snarky biker chick

Goldilocks I think. There's a male Joan of Arc, a female Achilles, a Sun Wu Kong, etc.

Yup shes golidlocks. For some their fairytales mean everything and others they might have well not bothered. Yang is definitely in the that camp. As are Ren and most of the villians

Also unrelated mostly. I dont think I have ever seen a fanbase as batshit about shipping as RWBYs. Like jesus H christ is that all people care about when it comes to that show?

>cute animu gril
>no moe garbage

There are RWBY characters based off of internet memes, don't worry too much about it.

Fuck Rooster Teeth.

No-one asked you, Church.

pretty much this

What's with the sudden resurgence in RWBY threads across the boards lately? The villains seem to be the best part of the show, but the latest season went full Fellowship of the Ring with the amount of walking they did.

I want Yang to actually do something besides job hard, like maybe Big-O someone with her new robo arm

For some reason, Japan loves it. Mori is making a crossover with BlazBlu, Miwa Shirou is making a manga, and by all accounts the Japanese dub is considered superior, though I suppose that's no surprise given the RWBY English VAs are all amateurs while the Japanese use big pros like Shizuka Itou. Then, all this stuff got sent back to the America. Hence the resurgent interest.

The villains are the best part? What?
Except for Bowler hat and Umbrella (who were great) they are all empty shells of "I'm evil because...I am!"

They have less personality them the main cast, which is genuinly an accomplishment

For real. It cannot be overstated just how much Japan loves RWBY.

I guess people over there just love Monty's CUHRAYZEE fights.

IIRC it's even broadcasted on a major television network on prime time, as well.

It's the only reason to watch it.

Too bad he died and the franchise went sideways.

Well yea, Monty's fights were genuinly well made.
Why else would anyone watch it?

You have to remember what Japan's dealing with on their cable networks. Lots of derivative shounen crap where action sequences consist of only a few frames of animation that the show explains as supernatural dodging ability, followed by needlessly wordy exposition. Bleach? Naruto? Dragonball Z? Hell, Dragonball Super is brand new, but that fight scene with Hit and Goku illustrates animators are still cutting costs on TV shows over there. Is there little surprise Japan loves RWBY when put in that context?

Because it's waifubait to boot?

> literally steal other people's abilities
Pirate, user. Stealing removes the original. Piracy makes a copy.

RWBY/Remnant, whatever one's qualms with the show, it does present some merits for Veeky Forums The question is what draws you there for tabletop?

>The Grimm
Easily done in just about any RPG that supports significant combat, just warp the setting so monsters (or even a specific subset of monster) are fucking everywhere and probably going to mess up folks who stay from civilization without combat skill. I mean, fuck, this is just oldschool D&D with an increased rate of random encounters.

>The Kingdoms & the dynamic of civilization
Establish bastions of civilization that rest MOSTLY separated from one another, with gulfs of wilderness in between for whatever reason. Let there be major trade routs, but not serious interface.

>The Main Plot
Apply a subversive common enemy to a world largely at peace. the RWBY Villains are (supposed to be) sneaky fucks good at running false flag operations, which could be a fun campaign especially

>The fighting
There are a lot of options for this listed on the thread but
>ctrk+f Kamigatkari
> 0 Results
Check it out. There are threads for it fairly frequently and its system is very inclined to build high-energy sets of moves/powers and a unique special personal weapon.

>The cast
There is no hope for you. Not necessarily because the cast is bad (Personal opinion: They're totally serviceable with Weiss, Ren, and Nora being a wee bit stronger since they've gotten actual development. Others, will, obviously, disagree) but because the cast of an RPG is the PCs.

>especially
Teach me to edit on the fly. Ends with unfinished sentences it does

Especially in a more politically complex environment than the one in the show.

I just about three my computer out the window when Neon Katt showed up.

Team RWBY
>Hyperactive moeblob
>Uptight rich girl
>Broody McAvoidantpersonalitydisorder
>Snarktits McFistPunch

Team JNPR
>Tragicaly perfect mary sue so beautiful and skilled it's a curse/Cheating haxxor faggot tard that brought her isolation on herself (Pick one)
>Sokka, minus the intelligence and reason to exist
>Asian Cipher Rage
>Hyperactive moeblob x6

Team COFFEVE
>some big dude with big sword
>some skinny fox dude
>Uptight rich girl x2 except with a broken minigun that trivializes everything else on the planet unless she's Jobbing today
>bland blank slate with the shittiest weapon possible, a camera that becomes A WORSE COPY of whatever it takes a picture of, breaking after three uses like a LOZ weapon. Her semblance lets her copy skills and reuse animations.

I think Flint Coal and Neon Cat were one-off joke characters. Still fucking dumb, though. Even dumber that they turned that "Haha Flint Coal would be a good name" forced meme from their Rooster Teeth minecraft LP into a character on the same team as Nyan Cat girl.
Yep. Look up "Lettergate". Apparently, after Monty Oum died, there was a power-grab by the new writers, who are trying to erase all traces of Monty from the show and "Fix" the "Silly" awesome level the show used to have by making it "Deep" like it was in season 4.
That's all there is to talk about. Talking about whether the show is good or bad now is banned, discussing characters got banned "Because it caused too many fights", and you can't speculate on what the show might do with its world because the reality will always be more disappointing than the worst fan theory.

Play D&D 3.5. It's enough of an unbalanced dumpster fire to fit, and someone somewhere has posted shitty homebrew for you to use.

Wait the subreddit literally banned discussing the show? What the actual fuck. How deep are their heads in the ground.

As for writing why havent they fired them yet if its this bad? Serious question, how do those fuckers still have their jobs!?

Not in a literal, honest "No dissent" ban. More in a "If you start discussing the show in anything other than a 100% positive mindless-praise 'iz so gud im gonna die!' way, the shitposting hive mind will attack you and tell you to fuck off and accuse you of being a hated critic's alt, then when the fight is over, claim the fight was your fault for displeasing them" way.

Posting videos of critics discussing RWBY in anything other than a 100% positive manner will get you attacked by the hive mind AND warned by staff, even if you say disclaimers like "I like the show overall but I find his points regarding plot interesting to discuss".

>even though she did fuckall in season 4
Nobody did fuckall in season 4, except MAYBE Blake and Sun. Just watch the first and last episode and you miss nothing worthwhile.

Cannot be unseen

With the way transforming weapons and semblances work in this series, what OC could be made that would be horrendously broken, but in a fun way?

Anything involving gravitation. Energy form shift would be interesting. "This bullet is moving fast and thus has high kinetic energy, but my semblance allows me to convert that energy into heat, or light or electricity or etc."

Also anything involving time would pretty much just win.

>Fire-themed girl with a bolter/chainsword that can turn a spray of bullets into immolation at a moment's notice

What part of RWBY are you trying to recreate, OP? I assume either huntsmen or trainee huntsmen at one of the academies. Either way, you'll want a contractor/teacher to keep the plot going, and can then fill it in in whatever way you want. No different from any other game, really, as long as you keep the themes in mind.

As for a system, FATE or FAE are options, as aspects and stunts are a decent way to represent semblances and all the other half-magic going on. Funnily enough, Dark Heresy could easily be repurposed to fit RWBY. There's already rules for medieval, modern and futuristic weaponry with a bunch of upgrades and attachments. Furthermore, the way damage works in DH (a pool of hit points which can be lost with no adverse effect, after which further damage gives increasingly bad results on a critical hit table) can be used to represent aura without any changes.

In duels, an aura stealing semblance would effectively be insta-win.

Ren and Nora did somethings.

Also, wow they are really just trying to make Blake unlikeable as possible and Sun as big an idiot as possible. Do these guys not do test audiences or shop their shit around?

I'd say the more relevant to the very basics of how the universe works the more powerful the semblance. Things that manipulate space and time and other aspects of physics have potential to be incredibly broken.

>Ren and Nora did somethings
The only actually relevant thing they did was in the last episode though.

S4 felt like a massive disappointment to me. Any lightheartedness is gone, no advances were made to the plot while a lot of new plotlines were opened, and nearly all characterization that was done feels gone with everyone being a bland gritty warrior now. Also, I hated most redesigns. I just want to go back to Over-the-top Highschool Hijinks With Not Handsome Jack instead of this bland "dark" bullshit. I unironically think the chibi series is better than the main series at this point.

I dont know about that. Shit like the highschool bullshit gave us the dance and still never adressed plot. All it was was Montys mary sue brigade acting retarded. Plus there weren't any hijinks outside the food fight

>just want to go back to Over-the-top Highschool Hijinks With Not Handsome Jack

I agree, good taste.

>All it was was Montys mary sue brigade acting retarded.

So? When's the last time we got a show that was happy and silly, but could still take it's worldbuilding and action scenes seriously?

I'm tired of everything being dark and gritty. It sells well, because most plebs are only now discovering Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Dark Souls, Attack on Titan, etc, but as someone whose been watching anime for years, the dark gritty thing has lost all it's shock value.

>When's the last time we got a show that was happy and silly, but could still take it's worldbuilding and action scenes seriously?
Shonen anime is usually like that.

>Asian Cipher Rage

>take Blake
>remove trust issues and a few inches of hair
>add earrings and 5-10 years

Thank you. SSA-tier joke right there. To be honest, I never understood the need to give your protagonist a power that can render cool fight scenes irrelevant or unnecessary in a series that's supposed to pride itself on cool fight scenes. If I ever make a RWBY-like series, I'm making my "personal OC" strong, but not fuckin Cipher Rage.
But when's the last time something like this was made in the west, by a semi-amateur and a shoestring budget that didn't get a budget until after he died and an egomaniac shithead writer took the helm?
Wasn't this season literally just walking on foot to a place the farm kid easily got to the same time as them by taking the train?
I think writers got butthurt when Blake said "I always run away! That's what I hate about myself!" and fans were all "Lolwut? She ran that one time, but only to seek the white fang out herself". The writers are trying to retroactively give character traits and character flaws to the characters they write, AFTER the characters spell their traits and flaws out to the audience!

Also, the writers are trying WAY too hard to shill Qrow as the new badass to replace Pyrha. Pyrrha was a breath of fresh air because we're used to the hero's rival being better than the hero and an asshole (Sasuke/Bakugo). Instead, we get a rival that's better than the hero AND is nice and supportive to Jaune. Her "I love him but I'm too shy to say it" shit got old fast and I don't like her that much but there was a reason to like her as a character and person. And the writers accidentally made her sorta interesting and tragic and flawed with the "She cheats like a bitch and caused her own isolation, she's just too fucking stupid to see that or see why she's the reason why she isn't banging Jaune right now" thing. She had a reason to be a fan favorite, certainly more of a reason than Edgy Drunk Cool-uncle, Teh Penguin Of Doomhammers, Ragetits Punchlord, Cantspeak Mysterykick, or Bootleg Sokka.

>Teh Penguin of Doomhammers.

Who?

>She's grown less and less useful since the mid-season 1 finale.

>In fact that was the last time she won clean against an actual threat and didn't need BIG TITTY NEE-SAN to carry her.

Well, it's no secret that a defining part of her character is that she's younger than the rest of her team and at a distinct disadvantage. The only reason she has any kind of edge is because of her eye thing, which hasn't been expanded on much. At least not in practical terms. Lore-wise it's at least been introduced.

>Or worse, season 4, where she's sidelined for The Amazing Adventures of Asian and Redhead.

I'm actually glad that vol 4 was a bit heavier on Ren and Nora. They're the only characters that haven't really been expanded on much and it's nice to see them get some time in the spotlight. If there's not real backstory to them then they're really jyst no better than canon fodder supporting characters a-la any shonen anime.

Shippers don't count because nobody outside of their own shitty world likes them or cares about what they have to say.

Considering the shit they put in the soundtrack they seem to have a scary amount of power.