EDH/Commander General

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but people often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Which new deck wins in a 4 player game based on the cards we know?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/very-fast-slivers-killing-at-incredible-hihg-speed/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Wizards, not even close. If it was a 1v1 then Cats>All, but Inala has the best eminence, and the best backups, driving her straight through Value Town into Victory.

Thinking dragons right now but we don't really know what reprints are gonna be in the 99

Wizard has the most constructed potential but I doubt the precon will be filled with enough tutors and combo cards to actually make that work

Casting a bunch of fat flyers for 1 cheaper seems like a good way to stomp a precon free for all

It really depends on what the decks look like. Breya was probably the strongest 2016 commander, but her deck was a pile of ass.

>Which new deck wins in a 4 player game based on the cards we know?
currently thinking wizards

Thing is that even if Breya was the strongest, Yidris was no slouch, and his deck was explosive out of the box. Inala outclasses all the rest when it comes to multiplayer.

Vampires with Edgar leading the deck, shit's broken, every fucking vampire spell reads "And create a 1/1 vampire."

Yidris easily had the best built deck and was decent on his own. For all we know, Inalla could have the weakest 99 out of the bunch and lose hard because of it. As it is, Wizard tribal isn't a very powerful strategy and it would likely need some heavy spellslinger elements to back it up, which I don't see WotC doing.

The bone-stock Yidris precon can hold its own pretty well. Waste Not is a hell of a combo enabler.

Army of the damned also steals games ezpz in precon games because of the lack of good board wipes

>edhrec.com and www.edhrec.com are not the same domain

there is one for 40$ at my local walmart
should i pick it up

The Yidris precon has the most value out of all of them, except maybe for Atraxa. I'd go for it.

Yeah, shame all vampires are either 4cmc+ or limited shit.
The only halfway decent vampires 3cmc or under are Nighthawk, Aetherhawk, Hexmage, Artist and Bloodghast.
Go wide weenie just doesn't win in multiplayer, specially when your own creatures are worse than basic hatebears and your tokens trade with dorks.

If you trade Thrasios, Vial Smasher, and Chromatic Lantern for other cards you'll have gotten half your money back in value. $40 is good value.

Eminence turns limited vampires in good vampires, good vampires in god damm good vampires.

Just sayin, we don't know, sadly, the decklists yet so I may be speaking some true shit but with enough vampires the deck just spills vampires.

Also, with New Blood, if I, lol, use it on a commander with eminence, that eminence starts caring about vampires right?

If you want the cards I would. Other than that I wouldn't bother. You personally aren't going to be getting the money back unless you can sell all the items for full value

>Eminence turns limited vampires in good vampires, good vampires in god damm good vampires.
Not when Abobo turns already good cats into supercats, Inalla turns already good wizards into twice as many good wizards and Ur-Dragon virtually generates 10+ mana during the game without even being cast.
Edgar is a joke compared to his peers.

Anyone find it odd we didn't get any new white vampires other than the Mardu ones? Do we know if Ixalan will have vampires?

To be fair, what good Wizards is Inalla going to be copying to actually make use of her ability? Sure, we have her combo with that new vampire wizard and Ashnod's Altar, but what else does she really have going for her?

Edgar's deck looks to be the retard boros aggro of the set. And Dragons will invariably have mana issues with XYY and XYYY casting costs.
The match is between Arhabo and Inalla.

Which precon has the Teferi's Protection?

Whats the worst color in EDH and why is it red?

Ixalan has BW Vamps, which is likely the main reason C17 vamps were Mardu.

White is worse by itself

Dualcastermage becomes much less shit when hes actually tricaster twins.

The dragon deck seems to have some decent low cost dragons and a decent deal of mono-color dragons, so I don't think it'll get mana screwed too hard.

We don't know yet.

C'mon don't be like that.

Trust comrade Markov and he will guide you to victory, probably the deck gets some good vampires to use your tokens.
Again without the decklists I write void words.

The wizard commander seems good, for that reason alone her deck could be hammered down in power level no?

I actually think it'll be cats. They have some anti-aggro cards like Mirri.
Mono Red is better than Mono White, and some combinations are fine. Gruul isn't that much worse or better than Selesnya.

This card and brand can be wincon

At that point you'll need something worth actually copying with Dualcaster, which I have a feeling the precons will lack. I don't know if it's because I'm burned out from all of the brewing I've been doing, but I can't really see her going anywhere when she's locked into Wizard tribal.

Aaannnd... Markov pumps his kids, Patron of Blood or something like that not only removes a threat but converts every not yours creature dying in a pump for all vampires.

shes the build me better commander, you can force her to be good if you play cards nobody wants to play like deadeye navigator to support your arcane denials and forces of will. Also a lategame snapcaster can pull back 2 counterspells from the gy for 3 mana, which might be gamewinning.

I'm just having trouble finding a clear wincon for her. She seems to have plenty of utility, but my mind keeps trying to wander to Lab Man combos, which I don't really care for.

I need help making a couple of cycles for Instants/Sorceries

One cycle I'm trying to complete is common 1 cost spells with '3' theme with a modern border-
Ponder, Black Ritual, Lightning Bolt, Giant Growth, but I'm missing a white spell

Another is uncommon dual colored spells have deal with some kind of removal -
I have Putrefy, Electrolyze, Lightning Helix, and Mortify so far

Its extra turns for her imo

So I'm building a Hazezon deck, and have way too many cards.

What's some good proportions of ramp/tokens/answers/lands in the deck? Like 5 answers, 5 draw, 5 buffs, etc. I'm not the best at building, but I feel like adding too much ramp could be detrimental. What do I do?

Unmake?
Dreadbore?
Terminate?

Oh goody. I was hoping I wouldn't hear that. I'm not particularly big on extra turns either, but I'll see what I can do with her. Might go for Kess/Mairsil after all.

The first cycle is the Boons, it's not Ponder, it's Ancestral Recall, and the White spell is Healing Salve. Draw 3, Add 3 Mana, Deal 3 Damage, Gain 3 Power/Toughness, Gain 3 Life.

Healing Salve, but it's shit. Also those were all a cycle in Alpha, with Recall being the original blue one

Post list and we can help you make some cuts.

I substituted ponder because i want them in modern borders, I know healing salve exists but i think it's so much worse than the others.

Thank you.

Congrats on your made up cycle. There's an actual cycle, and Healing Salve is the worst, because white will always be worst.

How is mono white worse? Its amazing for voltron with commanders like sram

Im sure there is some tech that im missing but I learned with breya to start at the surface for wincons and her low hanging fruit is to just play way more magic than her opponents. At least teferi is a flavorful flash source.

because the nature of edh as a format. In a normal format things are faster and you have less life so there is a balance between slower control and faster aggro. Cards that drew you cards or ramped you mana had the downside of not protecting you. The problem is with 40 life and a singleton format that means less consistency, the control decks will nearly always have the ability to stabilize.

>Anarchist
>Archeomancer
>Augur of Bolas
>Beguiler of Wills
>Corpse Augur
>Corpse Connoisseur
>Disciple of Bolas
>Dragon Mage
>Dualcaster Mage
>Goblin Electromancer
>Izzet Staticaster
>Jace's Archivist
>Magus of the Wheel
>Magus of the Will
>Omenspeaker
>Pit Keeper
>Puppeteer Clique
>Sea Gate Oracle
>Sedraxis Alchemist
>Snapcaster Mage
>Treasure Mage
>Trinket Mage
>Trophy Mage
>Vendillion Clique
>Venser, Shaper Savant
>Youthful Scholar
Off the top of my head.

Sram is the only redeeming commander. Ususally, white has nice tools for EDH but little staying power or consistency.

Because Voltron is objectively a bad strategy, and Purphoros exists.

What are some casual fun decks (not based on tapping creatures to attack as main win-con) that wouldn't get me hated out of a table/playgroup, but wouldn't be auto-lose either?

People don't appreciate Yidris storm and Arcum "stax"...

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/very-fast-slivers-killing-at-incredible-hihg-speed/

Gonna post this one more time before I call it good and start putting it together. Any feedback on it, shit I'm missing, whatever?

Melek Fireballs

Mairsil Mono-Jank or Melek/Mizzix Spellslinger.

Thanks, mate.

Lazav Clones.dec

I'm sure I'm missing something as well, but I'm so worn out from these spoilers and theorycrafting that I just can't think of anything for the life of me at the moment.

I've got most of the synergistic ones from that list included already. I'm mostly looking for wincons now. I wanted to go for a wizard tokens and tap for Inalla's ability route, but there aren't enough good token producers for Wizards. I really wish the Wizard deck had more new good lower CMC wizards to make use of. I wish there were more new cards in general to be honest.

Because no card draw.

Not who you're talking to but I have Sakashima clones.dec and still got hated out the second I played Expropriate.

Making two copies of an opponents Avacyn didn't help, either.

You really can't imagine why they wouldn't like the spell Expropriate?

Those are the meat and potatoes of the deck, I think user was talking about wincons/gameplan not goodstuff that makes it work.

It's not 'made up' I'm just finding substitutions.

No, I get that it's a huge "fuck everyone" card. But it's so overwhelmingly powerful that I feel obligated to use it.

>Which new deck wins in a 4 player game based on the cards we know?
Before table politics, gonna hand it to vamps. Wrath effects would check Edgar hard but WotC probably won't print any in the set except maybe in vampires itself. His board position becomes a runaway spiral of value rather quickly and he's in the Removal Colors.

With table politics, Wizards get it, narrowly over Vamps and Dragons. Cats don't stand a chance as while they can hit hard their voltron stylings will have serious trouble carving through the life of their opponents. Edgar is still very strong, but his strength is obvious and fairly easily measured so he'll probably die at the hands of a big team effort. That leaves Wizards and Dragons, and between those two the other two basically get to decide it. But Wizards is going to be just a little bit faster to establish board, making Dragons just a little bit softer to "Dead Hand" spite-onslaughts, and thus more likely to enter the endgame a leg down. If dragons reaches the end with its strength intact, though, its individual card quality will outmatch Wizards.

Black got shafter super hard this time around. The best five non-legendary new cards are:
>Traverse the Outlands
>Teferi's Protection
>Portal Mage
>Kindred Summons
>Stalking leonin
And vampires didn't even get an extra legendary. Cats got Balan, Wizards got Taigam and Dragons got both Wasitora and Taigam.

>And vampires didn't even get an extra legendary.
We're not fully spoiled yet, though, are we? I assumed we'd get 5 new legends for each deck since dragons has 5. It only makes sense.

Well, you see this is Grixis, not Azorius or Dimir. Here you actually win by hitting your opponent with the "meat and potatoes" after making sure they can't play shit because your spells and creature-spells are all removal, distruption, card advantage and assholery.

No, I'm pretty sure all the new cards have been spoiled by this point.

All of the new cards have been shown. All we're waiting on are reprints. Yeah, I'm sad too.

Alms Collector's pretty good. Hope it's in the same precon as Teferi's Protection.

>every single deck I make ends up in some combination of U, R, and B

All 56 new cards are revealed.
No Baron Sengir, no Anje, no Thane of Blood, no Bloodchief of Malakir.
We get the worst Eminence guy, a random nigra who doesn't even look like a vampire at all, and Mathas.

Was it really so fucking hard to give us a legendary Necropolis Regent or Kalastria Highborn? It's like it physically hurts them to print beautiful/interesting vampires nowadays, it's just a bunch of pale (or black) humans in armor.

Wow for real? How is that even remotely fair? Why would they give more new legends to some tribes but not others?

I'm not sad, I'm mad. I was mad about their tribe choices and now I'm mad about this bullshit.

I swear to god if the Marchesa reprint if fucking foil and devalues my Conspiracy original foil I am going to be pissed.

Really? You are the cancer that is killing magic

Ok real question here: how do you build a tribal deck around a tribe that wants you to play instants and sorceries? Isnt that anti-synergistic?

Wew lad, eat shit and die

I went through a lot of work to get that foil back when it was $90 and it sits on top of my first real EDH deck. I have a lot of sentimental value wrapped up in it and the fact that it is somewhat hard to come by made it feel even more special.

I don't care about magic finance, I just like being able to show off what I put on the table.

Not really. Not every tribal deck has to fill the board with as many bodies of that type as possible then cast coat of arms

Wizards for instance, only needs a couple wizards in play for a lot of their good synergies, leaving you plenty of room in your deck for instants and sorceries

Simplest way is to include instants/sorceries that create tokens from that tribe.

You still have the sentimental value though, it's a pack foil, it's the original, it has the superior border and set symbol, no reprint can take that away from you

Just because you bought in at a bad time on a low print run card doesn't mean you should be against reprints

That's a valid point, but seeing everyone else sitting down at the table with a premium Marchesa they got out of a deck would make it seem less special somehow.

I know, I'm being stupid about it, but still

dumping some lifelinker codes for you kind people

Card Kingdoms code
KNEUZC6UDGUL

Magic Man Sam's code
TQS7VUFHUJFM

Starcity games split second cide
E1hc4cwfa982

Starcity Commander vs Series code
WIOFVNBZDIU0

Don't have tolarian's so if anyone has that one let me know.

You do realize that WotC are just as worried about pissing off players like you as they are of investors when they refuse to reprint anything worthwhile, right?

Players who have nothing to lose by cards becoming cheaper yet whine because other people don't have to pay as much as they do are a fucking cancer on this game, just as bad as MTG finance. You are literally mad other people get to have what they want because it makes you having what you want less special.

>3 Legendary Foils
>Inalla
>Mairsil
>Kess

You can stop.

Well your point is valid too, if everybody else has it then yes that does make yours seem less special

But I really wouldn't worry too hard about that, marchesa is not so great a card that you're going to start seeing it everywhere just because it was reprinted in a precon. It's a niche 3 color card that wants to be the commander

>Reveal 3 BRAND NEW Mardu Vampite legendaries
>somehow Marchesa will find her way into the vampire deck and take one of their foil spots
Chill, man.

>Hot Babe, Bodice Ripper 1WBR
>Flying, Haste
>Vampire spells you cast cost 1 less to cast for each life your opponents have lost this turn
>2/2
>Art: Sexy goth chick with fangs and red eyes

>Hot Dude, Badass Bloodsucker 2WBR
>Flying, Menace
>Vampires you control have Lifelink
>Whenever a non-vampire creature you control deals combat damage to a player, put a Sire counter on it. Creatures with Sire counters are Vampires in addition to their other types.
>3/3
>Art: Peter Steele in WRPG armor

Was it really so hard WotC?

They've never foiled reprints in product like this. Only in the Commander Anthology did they foil the reprinted commanders, and at an MSRP that high, they really should've foiled more of the legendaries.

>tfw never bought anything from a precon

Fuck all that shit

Building with old jank is the best

Yes

I skipped out on the whole Anthology because the only thing I wanted was a foil Freyalise to foil out another commander

Not even Command Tower? That's just being snobbish.

Nope, none of it

Nigger, I have my first foil rare (8th Ed. Serra Angel) framed and sitting in my desk.
When you love something you don't care wether it's $90 or $9. You're a just a jealous shit who doesn't want others to have what you have.

It's Wizard Marchesa for the Wizard deck, but yeah.

Did you think these were better designs?

They arent

>>/ccg/

>Sram
>Voltron commander
Brainlets, when will they learn?