EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but people often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
How do YOU give folks headaches with weird rules, /edhg/?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/super-spores-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I run Cathar's Crusade in Ghave... along with Oketra's monument, the standard Ghave Infinites, and stuff with a fuckton of other triggered abilities.

If you don't see the problem already I'm more than happy to explain.

Tokens and Cathar's Crusade alone are already headaches. It's one of the few times I'd actually prefer to play on MTGO....

Now let's pile on fun stuff like Butcher of Malakir, Blood Artist, token doublers, counter doublers, and my personal favorite, Smothering Abomination.

Oh god no

If one more faggot tries to that Humility + Opalescence + Fucking anything else I will reach across the table and smack them.

>the guy in your play group who won't stop using Cathar's Crusade with Avenger of Zendikar and Trostani/Angel's Chorus

Fuck the thread question, better question incoming:

They confirmed that going forward all commander precons will be based on yearly themes rather than colors.

Now that we've done Tribal, what themes do you expect in upcoming years?

Ayup. I have to be careful not to deck myself with Abomination.

Standard strategy is to build an army or build a Fatty, then give everything Trample for the win. However if I manage to get an infinite down, I try and infinite on something, whether it's tokens, Blood Artist Lifedrain, Abomination "My library is my hand size now," Malakir Board Wipe, or best of all, infinite on tokens and mana and cast Craterhoof.

I'll tell ya, infinites are cheap, but being able to say I swing with three creatures at three opponents with 100,000 Power/Toughness each is incredibly satisfying.

Plus, everyone knows about Utopia Mycon, and Ashnod's Altar at this point. My real trouble is, at this point, managing to avoid being targeted, or deflecting Ghave-hate.

Just got an Asceticism in the deck too. Can't wait for my next chance to play.

I just hope we never get to the year of the voltron.

I'm hoping for planar decks.

I would buy the fuggo out of a Lorwyn deck, but it seems like it would be hard to capture the spirit of most planes without going five color, or making like twice as many new cards as usual so you can actually have a unified strategy rather than just a bunch of random cards from the same plane.

I'm hoping for Year of the Wedges, where we get commanders that exemplify each aspect of their color.

Basically something that does for Wedges what Ravnica does for Dual-colors.

Also, More Gods. Year of the Gods would be awesome, if only to get a Golgari God that wasn't Pharika.

A WG Lorwyn deck would work pretty well to get the basic flavor of the plane. Then they could do a UB Shadowmoor deck.

A year where each deck is build around a single mechanic/pair of synergizing mechanics like a deck around flashback/retrace, another around dash et cetera

Sounds like you just built your Ghave deck and are having way too much fun. What's your average CMC? Mine is like 2.9, but the deck is all about comboing off and stopping other people from comboing off.

You running Crystaline Crawler? With a counter doubler out there, it's like a backup ashnods, but better because it makes coloured mana. My other favorite spicy tech is running Altar of the Brood and decking a table with sustainable loops. I find actually going infinite and winning with that is a little boring, but loops into other things aren't THAT bad.

Novice here.
If I bounce Kess (with Deadeye Navigator, for example), would I get to cast a new card from my graveyard? Or does she always keep track of the number of cards I've cast so far?

You would get to cast a new one.

Why is mommy not included in the dragon precon? ;_;

Neat, thanks.

She might as well be, we don't know the full lists yet

Average CMC tends to be around 3-4.

I run Overwhelming Splendor and Cruel Reality for the complete shutdown they can provide.

I don't currently run Crawler... I'll have to grab one. Utopia Mycon though, It's the same deal.

You have a Reyhan in the deck? Corpsejack/Primal Vigor with Reyhan on the field, get everything to have a couple +1/+1, then when you attack, you use Ghave to sack your blocked attackers and use Reyhan to transfer, then double all those tokens onto your unblocked attacker.

Suddenly they're being hit with a 46/46 saproling they decided not to block.

Triple red might have something to do with it. Devour having bad synergy with overall expensive tribal creatures might as well.

But pic related is already included, and im think its only the 3 Generals plus one mythic for every precon.

You guys have your decklists handy?

Banding is still legal right? Never seen it show up in my local EDH games.

I think the Red does not Matter, but what you say about devour ist right. But all the dragon etbs from mommy would fit the deck.

Nope, mine on TappedOut is in need of a severe update.

Kavu Predator though. Having one of those is great. You either prevent lifegain until they destroy him, or he gets huge. Surprising how often lifegain triggers in EDH.

I am not talking about the legendary creatures. I am talking about that every deck will have probably only 4 Mythics, and unless Broodmother is printed as a Rare, we will probably not see her.

Of course I do:

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/super-spores-1/

The list I run right now is moderately different, but this is the general gist of what I want to do. If you take out the crypt, the verdant catacombs, the marsh flats, and the demonic tutor, I'm pretty sure you can build this deck for like $100.

People get confused by Eye of the Storm.

Which is to be expected, but I do try to explain literally every step of what I'm doing.

It isn't chaos either, it is part of the spellslinger thing since it counts as multiple casts and goes crazy with Knowledge Exploitation.

Banding has become obscure as fuck. Most people, even after reading rules, still don't know exactly how it works and if it's good or not.

I would literally break into Maro's house and destroy his treasured original Roseanne scripts if they ever dared to make a Lorwyn deck without Faeries.

I play Karlof so kavu predator makes me rage internaly

Looks solid. Btw. have you considered Ready & Willing? I had some success running it in Anafenza

Honestly, that's just because it is wordy as fuck and is technically two different effects.

I built Geist of Saint Traft banding. It was surprisingly fun.

>his treasured original Roseanne scripts
You monster! I would have settled for his autographed copy of A Handmaiden's Tale, but then this psycho takes it to a whole different level.

>tfw being poor, but I dont want to buy the cheap Promo because its ugly as fuck.

I want more useful goblins for my spell slinging deck and treefolk
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblin-parade-1/

>How do YOU give folks headaches with weird rules, /edhg/?
trying to explain to people how sequencing works
like with dying triggers and boardwipes
holy fuck people can be so stupid

Timmy, Johnny, spike, vorthos
Aggro, combo, control
Goblins, elves, merfolk, rats, spirits
Knights, clerics, wizards, shamans,
Shard sets based on fused alara, so jund with BR reanimated a la Grixis, Bant with size matters a la Naya, etc.

Oh hey, you guys should grab Lumberknot. All the counters you would get off having a Lambholt on the field, but with Hexproof. Lambholt may be win-con, but having an untouchable counter stack is pretty sweet.

Also Thunderfoot Baloth. Everything has +2/+2 and tramole with Ghave on the field. That's a win-con right there, a more permanent Overrun.

>Ready & Willing
>Instant
Oh, so it's like a second Vault of the Archangel with indestructible attached. Neat, I can probably run that.

In my current list, I took out most of the spot removal, like Abrupt Decay, along with some of the shittier things like Rishkar and Yaheeni, then threw in a bunch of reanimator. If you look closely at my deck, you'll notice that nothing has more than 2 pips, other than Ghave, because I had a really budget mana base. Now the idea is that unless someone exiles my combo pieces, I have reliable ways to get them back late game, particularly since most are cheap creatures. The other thing I upgraded were a few money cards like Doubling Season, and the results have been discouraging. It's good, really good, but as soon as someone sees you drop doubling season t3 the game is now archenemy.

I'm actually debating dismantling the whole thing, and using it as a shell for a Ramos +1/+1 counter deck that feeds into valuetown combos. You get Doubling Season

Do you run Triumph of the Hordes or Pathbreaker Ibex? One of the easier things to do is set up a loop where you can dump a bunch of tokens into something like carrion feeder, then slap down triumph of the hordes/ibex to oneshot a table. Lumberknot looks worth a slot, specifically for the combo potential of the +1/+1 counters, and that they proc when my opponent's things die.

It is legal but it sucks so no one uses it.

why is the wizards deck so pushed?

>accidentally backspaced half my post
Just fuck my shit right up.

Anyways, with Ramos you slap ten counters on him, shit out 10 mana really fucking quickly, using that mana to power whatever wincon you're thinking about running. I'm still working on some of the details, but it looks like it could be really good.

>How do YOU give folks headaches with weird rules, /edhg/?
no because in not a fag

>Ramos
You will probably have to throw some money in directio of the mana base thou

And yeah I see your point about doubling season. You have to combo off right then and there or you are dead

In a stroke of genius, the project leader decided each deck would be created by a different person.

So the quality and power are all over the place this year.

>cats are obviously aggro, lets give them simple, clean ETB abilities and buff power
>Dragons need to be flavorful and big! They can have some neat effects but nothing too complicated
>What else can we do with Vampires? Let's just make a token deck.
>Wizards obviously need the most INT abilities, give them tons of recursion and infinites
>This. This is good.

When the Ixalan rare sheet leaked people got a glimpse at a card named "Jace, ___ Castaway," with a typeline "Legendary Planeswalker - Jace" (iirc) and concluded that the Planeswalker Uniqueness Rule, which prevents you from controlling multiple Jaces at once, but is a different rule from the Legends Rule, was being errata'd into the same rule as the Legends Rule. Of course, this change would mean that a Mirror Gallery on the field allows you to have as many Jaces as you want. The price spiked in anticipation and has yet to settle, despite, in my opinion, the much more likely explanation.

You see, the new Jace appears to have an ultimate that makes two non-Legendary copies of himself. (Aside, this fits with Jace's backup plan of switching to illusions in case his telepathy doesn't work. Since Bolas messed with his mind it'd make sense to make illusions.) So if our new Jace has a clause that gets him around the Planeswalker Uniqueness Rule, then you can control Jace and his copies. But if they want you to be able to do that, but still not control multiple of the actual card, then the Legend Rule will prevent that.

Guys, if I tap a creature to use its ability (something like, tap _ lands to scry _ cards) and someone uses an instant removal on my creature, do I still get to use the creature's ability?

I love vampires, but damn did they get shafted. We even lost out on a 4th legendary vampire just so that we could get two Taigams.

Oh, that's the genius part. He doesn't need coloured mana to cast him, so you can just run him as an Abzan commander with a massive upside. Shit out some +1/+1 counters in a variety of Abzan ways, pop five off, then you have 10 mana for any artifact shenanigans you might be up to. You get 6 coloured mana to rock whatever you want in Abzan colours and that seems like enough to get up to some shit.

Yes, once you've tapped then its ability is on the stack and resolves even if it's not on the field.

>two Taigams.
One of with is eh

Now you cant just say something like that and not post a decklist.

I wonder who designed these decks. Did they not look at the Vampire deck and think maybe it was a little underpowered compared to some of the other new cards?

Yeah I though about that after I posted. So unless you plan to run some heavy combos outside of abzan colors you might be fine without shelling out on lands outside of that color range.

So what is the current plan outside of obvious stuff like Door to nothingness(if you are going to run those)

Granddaddy Markov with haste is fucking nasty, and not to mention he automatically provides fuel for you grave pacts.

She could be a rare. Rarity in Commander sets is kind of arbitrary

Happy Taigam is a bit overcosted, but honestly think that I'll give him a try at some point in the future, using him as a Dredge/Delve commander with some decent removal stapled on.

Unless they include some more in-demand reprints like Exquisite Blood and Bloodcheif Ascension, it's going to be this year's dud.

In fatty dragon tribal ramp deck thing Broodmother functionally just shits out a 1/1 per turn while ignoring the devour mechanic completely in most situations.
I can see why they wouldn't include it as it's designed to be the top end of the foodchain with goblins and other fodder below it.

If you have any cheap repeatable blink effect he can go infinite fairly easily thanks to it getting around the 1/turn limit, and fist of suns means you can cheat out 2 really expensive cards per activation.

Nirkana Revenant reprint pls

my friend BTFO

He's a solid UB control commander for a casual setting, and I actually like the card.
I just don't get why they focused so much on him? Couldn't they have made some sort of creepy Tarkir vampire legend? Or preferably a Sengir legend?

It's the real new playgroup experience then.

Your post smells like the guy who suggested Taigam in legacy. I'm here to laugh at you for a second round.

I can dig it.

Eh now I'm tempted to build either ghave or ramos. On the other hand Godfather Markov and Mathas also cought my eye among the previews

Gratz man.

I'm tempted by the wizards one because I can see some shenanigans in it, although dragons is a close second, largely because of ramos.

daily reminder

They probably wanted something out of Tarkir. Didn't want to go obvious way with some dragon or khan so this was the only guy they were left with.

I for one would enjoy if one of the wizard deck legends was also vampire so you could mix and match those. Or even build grixis vampires instead of mardu ones

It was a super rough draft with way too many redundant theme cards. I never made it in paper and it isn't on tappedout yet.

I'm at work and busy later, so it'll be a while before I get it to you.

Stax.

He makes 10 mana EACH turn. If you can lock people out, he just shits value, then lets you play at full speed while people are trying to escape your lock. It struck me as one of the most asymmetrical effects I've seen because it's enough mana to let you cast world-breaking bombs each turn.You can even use the mana and flash to combo off on other people's turns, which is especially dickish if they can't respond because they have no mana.

Post obscure reserved list EDH playables

>he's not Caging Razzle Dazzle.
I want Mairsil the Jankman to be my friend.

>$150 card is obscure

For creature from days of yore this is a solid card

Ah, the days when templating was nonexistent and every rules interaction had to be spelled out on the cards. Pic unrelated.

Just because it's on reserved list, like Hazezon

I think I understand Chains, then I read it and it's like I'm 10 looking at my older brother's collection with confusion all over again.

How's it confusing.
>1B
>fucks everyone out of everything
>make your table groan when it comes down

Holy shit, I remember the first time I saw that card.

>buddy plays it in his mono black Drana deck
>I read it
>then read it again
>then read it a third time before asking him what it does
>looked at my hand filled with draw spells
>immediately scooped t2

Damn I'd love a copy of that card but it is just too pricey to justify.

This card actually came to mind when I saw the UB Taigam. All sorts of draw punishers, other stuff that skips draw step for some benefit, "look at top X put Y into hand" effects to get around drawing and small bit of graveyard synergy.

That or stuff it into Damia goodstuff.

Ehh, it's not that bad. Just turns drawing into discard->drawing. Selection is still there without card advantage.

All of the decks are similarly pushed with the exception of the Jeleva-killer. I think that one is simply a very lazy design that will be the best cEDH grixis general. It's boring as heck though and won't be a problem outside cEDH.

Now I agree, it's not always that bad, but seeing that t2 against a discard deck when I'm playing Jori-En artifact cantrips is pretty backbreaking. It's not like herp derp atraxa doubling season superfriends. Do you really think someone who can afford to play it sin't going to build around it?

>Did they not look at the Vampire deck and think maybe it was a little underpowered

Probably, but then they saw the RW in the color scheme and made them all even worse.

A T1 Chains into a T2 Nath (and let's be honest, if you're buying Chains you can afford Lotus Petal, Mana Crypt, Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, and Mox Opal), is absolutely devastating to a lot of decks.

Except the other two Planeswalkers are legendary as well retard.

There absolutely should have been another new legend in the Vamp deck.

It's probably not underpowered. Edgar is a powerful general even if you find him simple and boring. Skullclamp, grave pacts, white for removal, the deck can be built very strong. The lifegain vampire is legit too but not as strong and the brand legend is a political option to Queen Marchesa.

I feel a great disturbance in the leylines, as if millions of blue players cried out in terror and then were suddenly silenced.

>"Yeah, you can gain life, cast her, pay a bunch of life, and swing in to gain it back!"
>"Hold on now, is that a Red White?"
>"Y-yeah?"
>"Take off the haste if under half your starting life, once per turn at sorcery speed."

Have you EVER seen a real Guardian Beast played against you in EDH?

He is pretty obscure.

By your logic Black Lotus is obscure as well.

>mfw i have a Tolsimir Woldblood deck whos focus is banding and legendary tribal

Uniroinically this

>"Take off the haste"
>"B-but sir she's seven mana.."
>"EIGHT MANA, AND NO HASTE, AND ONLY ONCE PER TUN that will teach my wife to cheat on me with a Boros faggot...."

It's banned in EDH. Timetwister is the expensive, legal, well known card.

I'm actually going to ask my playgroup if I can make those changes, Haste if under 20 life, can activate 3 times per turn at instant speed.