Warhammer Fantasy General /wfg/

Dark North Edition

Upcoming Content: Total War: Warhammer 2, WFRP 4e, unnamed hack'n'slash genre Warhammer vidya.

> Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
WFRP: pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
Novels: mega.nz/#F!9Lw1WIRZ!eKxkOlAQwuZO3_8pHOK-EQ

> We're looking for these novels for the archive
pastebin.com/TSQhemJR

> Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age
Tomb Kings Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/
Bretonnia Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

> The 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

> Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (most complete)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

> Warhammer Video Games
Total War Warhammer: store.steampowered.com/app/364360/
Vermintide: store.steampowered.com/app/235540/
Mordheim City of the Damned: store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Bloodbowl 2: store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Man O' War: store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
Return of Reckoning: returnofreckoning.com/
Snotling Fling: itunes.apple.com/us/app/warhammer-snotling-fling/id901638145?mt=8

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nF_Ca45JRFs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why do people hate 8th edition, while loving TWW's fluff which is based on 8th edition!?

Let's say the Empire is currently not in the progress of being invaded by chaos and just doing empire things

Would they give a shit and respond if Estalia was invaded and burnt to the ground by a non-human faction? Bretonnia is indisposed at this time in the story to do so.

It depends. There was that huge crusade they launched when Araby conquered Estalia, pushed for by the church, but that was because Araby was seen as an existential religious threat due to their enforced monotheism. I think. Actually in not sure why the Empire got involved in that

you might get some knightly orders and maybe a province or two to go on crusade

Because Bretonnia would just fuck it up and make it so everyone south of the chaos wastes speaks Arabic.

What did GW mean by this?

Good 'ol gender rivalry

Heh.

Are you asking this because its the bonus objective of the beastmen faction, to ravage Estalia?

Presumably because the team behind Total Warhammer do it better?

I mean, its the most logical assumption.

Coudn't they get their heads lopped off? Fey Enchantress is the top authority in the land.

Well, it's a story based on two of my beastmen campaigns combined, so sort of

How do the Hung and Kurgan differ from the Norscans? Have they different units, worship the chaos gods under different names or are they just other barbarians (Hung as treacherous chinese, Kurgan as mongols and the Norscans as vikings)?

TWW's lore is open to whoever you're playing as. It performs its purpose by functioning as a setting where as a bunch of shit in 8th and end times was "shit happens and there's nothing you can do about it."

Yes

Pretty much all of the above.

Yeah, this would be like flipping the bird to the Pope of Bretonnia.

Why were people complaining about how Wulfrik looks? He loos exactly like his table top art.

That they had to live their whole lives bring inferior to elves and now that they have power over the mere mortals they don't like someone else as an equal.

His beard looks a bit bigger than in the tabletop, and he is sporting a mohawk that some people might not really see it in the piece.

If i'm honest, I think he looks really close enough that there is no problem for other differences. The only thing I might agree is that skeleton on his back, that is too close to edgelord/narm to be a good concept design for anything;

Old lore that ain't canon, though it's interesting that it wasn't long ago that it was.

It's mostly differences in culture and location. Norscans are vikings, Kurgan are Turks, and Hung are Mongols.

Historical Chinese armies had repeater crossbows right?
Dark elves seem like a good army to at least get bits from for Cathay then, if not as an army book to play them off as.

Soon

Don't forget that they didn't model in his weird tongue.

youtube.com/watch?v=nF_Ca45JRFs

what is the greatest fortification/fortress/citadel, as in hardest to conquer and easiest to defend in WHFB?
Is there any such legendary fortress or does anything fall if the fluff demands it to fall to advance the plot?

The Balefiend's tail is the most egregious error, personally.

Isn't his tounge just kind of shaped like a bird's? Not even that strange.

FOR CHAOS!! For the Everchosen!

And so ends my Norsca campaign, ending as a general in Archaeon's endless hosts. No reason to fight the Everchosen, for he is canonically superior to Wulfrik.

Great bastion? That emerald tower, or the tower of Ghorgoth, or the city of the dawi zar, or even any given undercity.

Strange for a human....to have.

Have they added an ending to the game yet?

In the Empire it would be Middenheim, famously, and then perhaps Talabheim.

Other than that, the Dwarf Karaks should be incredibly hard to conquer but they always end up falling anyway.

I'm looking to use the Fimir in WFRP 2E. Does anyone know if they are amphibious? I'd like to set up a Shadow Over Innsmouth situation but with Fimir instead of Deep Ones, but I don't know if they can even swim.

Fucking hell that is one nightmare of an army i imagine all of the other generals have similar armies.

>tfw you don't like Abaddon but love Archaon

Can we, as Wulfrik, declare war on the Everchosen and usurp his title?

Also, ETA on a mod that makes the Norscan faction not weirdly focused on fucking monsters/animals?

there are 2 more full stacks hidden,
in front of the 5

Yes you can totaly do that but the means facing the full brunt of the Everchosen.

>tfw you don't like both but love Arthas

As if Wulfrik would hide from such a challenge. What greater beast to hunt than the Everchosen of Chaos himself? He basically retire at that point.

>mfw I dislike 40k and chaos but love WHF

(forgot pic)

I kinda like Archaon, if I ignore his later fluff. He earned his place as Everchosen, and is badass enough to unite all the tribes in a way not seen since Asavar Kul. And he's not even of the northern tribes.

>The Fimir are amphibious humanoid monsters that haunt bogs, fens and desolate moorlands throughout the northern and western Old World.
(Storm of Magic?)

Have fun with Deep Fimir user

Cheers mate, that's peachy keen.

We don't care too much about Bretonnia canon in this thread.

Are you serious? I see Bretonnian lore getting argued about about as much as anything. A good portion of anons are probably diehard Bret fans.

What I meant was that we don't care too much about where the fluff comes from. 5th edition, 6th edition, Manowar, the rpg, Total War, it's all good.

Va te faire baiser, paysan.

I want this version of Archaon for the End Times patch in the third game of Total War: Warhammer

God no. Keep that fucking shit far away.

Understandable, but some things have clearly been retconned - in 6th edition, there are no Bretonnian male wizards. While we can keep stuff like Repanse and Tristan le Troubadour since those aren't retconned by later lore, and even Man o' War stuff because it isn't directly challenged, in this case it's directly stated no where it used to be yes.

Out of all of the AoS/End Times stuff I've seen, this looks the most like it belongs in World of Warcraft.

WoW and Warhammer are basically interchangeable, and don't even pretend otherwise.

Dumb, blind fanboy.

wc1 and 2 were similar to WHFB
Everything since cataclysm is full on AoS tier.

It's not focused in enough for the 8e stink to be noticeable.

Dude. Get your bait out of this thread.

Warhammer has some over the top designs, but WoW overall looks more clean and cartoony, like that model.

So WC1-3 is interchangeable with WHFB

and WoW is interchangeable with Age of Sigmar

interdasting

They're amphibious. The old warpstone fanzine (repub of material that would have been for a Hogshead 1e supplement) reckons a fimir can hold his breath for 15 minutes.

Speaking of fimir, where do you guys stand?

>Ogre-sized or man-sized?

>Chaos-worshipers, Chaos-betrayed and hostile, Chaos-betrayed and trying to get back in the good graces of the Four, or always hostile to Chaos?

>Spawn of a daemon and a witch or origin unknown?

>Infertile due to Chaos fuckery or due to their fundamental nature?

>Trying to chimp out and end existence, trying to regain their strength, or trying to simply survive (possibly resisting Chaos in the doing)?

>Man o' War stuff because it isn't directly challenged

It is though.

I don't think WH and WoW were ever interchangeable in terms of aesthetics. There were similarities, sure, but you would never look at an old WH mini and ask yourself "Are they making a WoW mini game now?"

The reason I like WH more than WoW is because it doesn't look clean and cartoony, or at least it didn't.

So, I was reading up on Skeggi, and I can't help but wonder... how cosmopolitan is WHFB?

I mean, the fluff seems to imply that Norscans can be found serving as mercenaries or just hanging around port towns all over the world, and in some places they cooperate fully with New Worlders and others. Considering that they worship the Chaos Gods, that seems... wrong.

So, like, how does this shit work? Could you have a Norsii Chaos worshiping motherfucker running around with your typical WHFBRPG party?

>So WC1-3 is interchangeable with WHFB

Absolutely fucking not. Not even close.

>Man-sized, possibly growing to Ogre size

>Chaos-betrayed, but with variation - most focusing on their own individual goals, have their own god (Balot, see pic related), but others desiring to get approval from Chaos Gods or their demons

>Origin unknown

>Chaos fuckery - Big Four probably love the fact that they mess with humans to survive, even if not in direct service of themz

>Survival with some regaining strength - some see joining up with Chaos best way, others see resisting the betrayers best way, others just want to be left alone

I think most southern Norscans don't worship the chaos gods directly, more like they worship their own gods that probably have similarities to the chaos gods or a weird interpretation of Sigmar or Manaan that has more in common with Khorne than the imperial cult if you look into it so they can get away with trading and working within the Empire as long as they aren't trying to start a cult or have any mutations.

Norscans don't worship the chaos goods as directly as you might imagine.

Plus there is differences between tribes and depending on their geographical locations.

The marauders that you see in the chaos armies are most extreme version of their people you will encounter, but there's less... faithful... variants as well.

Norscan explorers or adventurers don't have to be BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, they have other goals in life.

As far as I understand, Norscans, especially from the less hostile southern parts of Norsca, are willing to serve as mercenaries and trade in places like L'Anguille and Marienburg. I don't think any of them stop worshiping Chaos, though I suppose worshiping Tor or Ulric is a possibility, but usually they claim to worship Ursash, a deity of battle that they hold as being an aspect of Ulric, while usually being Khorne or something.

Apparently that sort of shit doesn't happen at all with Kurgans or Hung, which is kind of sad.

Not him but are all Norscans essentially evil/bad people, or can some of them have a morality system similar to the Empire's men?

Personally I'm not sure how much Norsca fluff is "northern barbarians" vs not-chaos-warriors-barbarians-who-still-worship-chaos.

A lot of the later stuff seems like chaos wank, as the setting is wont to do. I don't imagine too many Norscan warriors in foreign ports are erecting shrines to the chaos gods though.

Then again the setting isn't very clear on Chaos as an institution, as far as recruiting in the civilized world goes. I mean worshipping the ruinous powers isn't exactly something that lends itself to recruitment unless you've already fallen in to the particular vice one of the gods represent. But that's pretty par for the course as a matter of books skimming on the day to day lives of factions in favor of awesome war shit.

Honestly to me it seems that they just did him as a much younger man. His model is him after decades (centuries?) of traveling the world to prove an impossible boast.
It's supposed to be a curse, after all.

I think there is a bit of a disconnect with the Army Books sort of fluff, and the WHRP sort of fluff. Army books are more concerned with background reasons for why your forces are fighting, and they're much more willing to work with absolutes, even if there's still encouragement for players to create their own lore if they want to do things a bit differently. WHRP is trying to create a world less on a scale of nations and armies, but on small groups of people and cities. And it wants to try and include a lot of options for adventurers, even in this grimdark universe.

So where the army book for Chaos is willing to say that all Norscans are foul servants of the Chaos Gods, only travelling south to pillage and slaughter, WHRP books are more willing to try and explain Norscan mercenaries and traders, trying to make a more interconnected world. Though WHRP can also confusingly be willing to impose hard limits and say 'you can't do that.' I also don't always enjoy the idea of the GMing style necessary for a few of their pre-written adventures.

We'll the morality is going to be different as a matter of different cultures and their respective lots in life. I imagine your typical Norsca spends their life hunting bears and wolves and shit, while some raid coastal areas until they fuck up and desert their tribe or get left behind, at which point they're probably "adopted" by other port Norscans who show them the ropes of life down south, while still others go full chaos-tard and become the maurauders we're most familiar with.

As far as morality, it's probably more in lines of tribes versus peasants, although I would imagine Norscan Emmigrants would understand beating someone to death with a donkey jaw probably doesn't fly down south, although it may be kosher in a congregation of norscans who see the value in resolving an argument with violence.

>Hates Bloodbowl

Truely evil.

Is this still canon?

They did and invented them pretty early on too, but in real life the necessary ease of draw needed to swiftly re-cock the bow meant it wasn't very powerful.
At the time however most infantryman we're relatively lightly armored, so it didn't matter too much.

Pre-6th edition Norse are just vikings who don't worship Chaos, post-6th edition Norse are all Chaos all the time.

Arthas at first is more Elric of Melnibone (they all but rip off his sword's name) which means at first he's more like Malus Darkblade.
Later on when he's the Lich-King I guess he's like Archaeon, sorta.

(you)

Depends. Did he take Michelle as his trophy wife, being the most orcy human he ever encountered, raiding the countryside in a massive Waaaaauuugh to provide trinkets for his true love?

Does anyone have a quick reference guide to 2nd edition whrp

?

Arthas is really just the shallow aspects of Elric though (i.e. having a soul-drinking sword). I don't really think you can even call him an Elric analogue, because he has so little in common with him in terms of character and motivation. Arthas is ultimately a traditionally noble prince who gets slowly corrupted by the horror of war and the influence of an evil artifact. He's kinda like a very shallow Boromir who actually gets his One Ring equivalent and becomes the dark lord.

Malus as a character, even the society he lives in, is really much closer to Elric. Which isn't a bad thing exactly, because Elric is fantastic, and Malus is different enough that he feels distinct while hitting the same notes.

Well, Warcrap has always done everything wrong, so.

There is at least one Norscan king that launched a crusade against the Chaos wastes

If you combine Naggaroth (casually evil people who creative torture everybody who are tall, pale, and tends towards darker hair when they aren't albinos) and Ulthuan (circular island with inner sea and lots of "Dragon Princes" sleeping there) you get Melnibone it seems like.

That might not necessarily be a religious/"we hate Chaos" thing but more of a "goddammit, we gotta go kill some of these kurgans and demons so they stop fucking raiding us" thing.

just reskin the chaos dragon

What's up with the Winds of Chaos critical hit charts? Why are they so much less lethal? Are they better or worse than the existing tables?

>Ogre-sized or man-sized?
Mid way perhaps?

>Chaos-worshipers, Chaos-betrayed and hostile, Chaos-betrayed and trying to get back in the good graces of the Four, or always hostile to Chaos?
Worshippers of Daemon Princes and lesser chaos gods, not hostile to chaos but the Big Four don't really give a shit about them.

>Spawn of a daemon and a witch or origin unknown?
Origin unknown, because I like them a bit alien.

>Infertile due to Chaos fuckery or due to their fundamental nature?
Let's say fundamental nature as a consequence of being an ancient, liminal, dwindling race.

>Trying to chimp out and end existence, trying to regain their strength, or trying to simply survive (possibly resisting Chaos in the doing)?
Trying to survive, but if the opportunity arises they wouldn't be too unhappy with the end of the world.

I like Fimir as a kind of ancient relict race from an earlier time that lurk at the edges of things - in the marshes at the border of land and water, in the fog at the border of light and dark. Forsaken by their gods and forgotten by mortals. They're sad, really.

So Malekith's mother is basically responsible for driving her son insane and being burned alive. Deep down he must know he will have to kill her eventually? there is good in him.

No there isn't.

*lightning strikes you repeatedly*

T. Finubar

Yeah, she fucked up big time.

Anyone who's had to deal with his shit.
The dark elves as a whole are a stinking log he keeps excreting.

He'll kill her eventually, but mostly because she's a crazy-ass bitch.

Oh shit I hadn't noticed that the Hellcannons are operated/maintained(?) by Chaos dwarfs