EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Ray of hope" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but people often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Full decks are out. What are YOU salty and/or sour about?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-decklists-2017-08-11
mtggoldfish.com/articles/commander-2017-decklists
ebay.com/itm/SIGIL-TRACER-MORNINGTIDE-UNPLAYED-GEM-MINT-PACK-FRESH-MAGIC-BEST-FREE-SHIP-/372018162772?hash=item569e02ac54:g:os8AAOSwd3dZZpzo
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eldritch-omnicide/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>thread question
I just feel apathy really.

>Patron Wizard triples in price in less than 30 minutes

>Full decks are out
>Doesn't post the full decklists

baka desu senpai

There are still eBay listings for like $8.

Kess, Dissident Mage will be this year's Atraxa in terms of prices

>What are YOU salty and/or sour about?
Shitty manabases, though honestly I don't know what I expected.

Also
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-decklists-2017-08-11

mtggoldfish.com/articles/commander-2017-decklists

>ordered one on Wednesday for $6 and it hasn't shipped yet
Motherfuckers better not cancel.

>What are YOU salty and/or sour about?
No decent land reprints (fuck Wizards at least throw us a goddamn Odyssey filterland)

It will be the most expensive yes but not nearly as expensive as atraxa

I just said this in the last thread, but the thing I'm most bummed about is no untap effects in the Wizads deck. Illusionist's Bracers and Thousand-Year Elixir seem like easy includes.

Also, I just realized Riptide Lab didn't get reprinted. Fuck.

>Thread Question

No chromatic lantern on dragons.

I just ordered a cheap riptide lab and I hope it doesn't cancel itself mysteriously. Never had it happen before with mkm but you never know.

Should have also got pic related probably

Ordered mine two days ago and it already shipped. Suck it, frogposter.

The lands kill me. For some reason the cats deck has the best and it's the 2-color one.

>Instants and sorceries somehow a less popular theme than counter shenanigans

Ehh, I think it could be close. The real question is that of print run size. It will never hit atraxa values if it gets a big print run like 2013 or 2015.

>Should have also got pic related probably
ebay.com/itm/SIGIL-TRACER-MORNINGTIDE-UNPLAYED-GEM-MINT-PACK-FRESH-MAGIC-BEST-FREE-SHIP-/372018162772?hash=item569e02ac54:g:os8AAOSwd3dZZpzo
According to price histories, it's been like $3 since Kaladesh, so you haven't quite missed the boat on anything there.

Maybe, but

>will be the new grixis storm cEDH commander for sure
>best commander for a grixis goodstuff deck
>best commander for a grixis control deck
>probably best commander for a grixis self-mill deck
>also a wizard, so right now a lot of wizard tribals will want to keep her too

the only thing that seems like would make her NOT expensive is if there's some card that people want even more out of the deck, but as it is, it seems like Kess will be almost the entire reason people will buy the whole 35 dollar deck. With commander sets, you usually have 1-2 really expensive cards and everything else is cheap af because people are buying the decks for those 1-2 chase cards and selling the other cards for pennies.

I'm not le wolf of wall street though so I can't be sure

The fact that we went from the Filter lands to this pile of horseshit manabase really pisses in my cornflakes.

Also no good reprinted equipment for the Cat Tribal deck ALL ABOUT EQUIPMENT

It's obviously going to less popular than planeswalkers, but it's also not 4 color, which was something we'd never had before

>For some reason

We've been over this. It's because the decks were all made by different designers individually, working in silos.

The Cat deck has better mana than the five-color deck because one designer cared about including budget viable options and the other threw all the trilands and vivid lands into the deck's pdf file right before he sent it to development.

This stupid EDH league my store is running.

It sucks and isn't fun.

>Thread Question:
It's more of a bittersweet sensation than salty. But it's kinda sad that the least cringiest place to talk about edh is so terrible at card evaluation.

Behemoth sledge is okay

I wouldn't be so sure. Jeleva occupied that niche for a while and she's less than a dollar. Granted the 2013 decks were given a large print run.

can someone explain the "40 lands" basis to me? like how many mana producing lands are that?
people say 32 lands are low but then they say 40 lands with 8 utility lands is good.

I don't know of anywhere I can talk MTG without cringing.

Usually at myself, but hey.

My deck is ready for Taigam Turns

Why can't we have that guy in charge of building all of them? Sure, there were some filler cards and weaker equipment, but the manabase is decent while being made of some budget alternatives and it can be played decently out of the box.

I'd love to see cats being tricolour instead of selesnya

Depends on the seller. I had some shitheads return the money and claim that a bug on their site didn't show that they were out of stock just to add the cards back up at the "correct" price later.

40 is definitely too many unless you're playing something like Azusa. I usually say 34-37 lands depending on your curve. 33 is a tad low, but if your curve is low enough then it should be fine. I usually call 35 the sweetspot for most decks.

For true cEDH autism, Jeleva isn't anywhere NEAR as good. Kess will immediately let you reuse some important spell that you need to cast again or that didn't resolve last time. She's really, really good for Storm. Really good for normal goodstuff too. Jeleva is strong if she connects, but she isn't as reliable and flexible as Kess

Friendly reminder that Viscera Seer is a wizard and a sac outlet to dump Inalla's tokens.

>boots
>greaves
>clamp
>sledge
>animist
>no good reprints

Well, obviously Kess is much better because she really gives you that extra gas to drive up your storm count whereas Jeleva was just there as a backup plan if shit went really southern. Kess is certainly a better option and she'll undoubtedly replace Jeleva in storm and most goodstuff decks, but Jeleva, despite being the best commander for her niche, never rose in price at all throughout her time on the competitive scene. Kess will be worth more, but I doubt she'll hit Atraxa levels of cost.

I think he meant "expensive".

40%ish lands is pretty normal for decks in all formats that don't have ridiculously low curves. In 60 card it's 24 lands, if that makes more sense to you.

You can do math or playtest to figure it out for yourself, but I wouldn't go below 35 except in very special decks or cEDH Singleton Vintage.

>LGS actually expects people to pay $60 for these

I wonder if they'll stay rotting on the shelves two years later like all their copies of Wade Into Battle

The design lead was the one who decided to assign each deck to a different person.

I think generally the team makes all of the decks together to prevent this kind of inconsistency.

And a vamp to make use of Edgar's tokens as well. What I really need are untap shenanigans to make use of my wizard tap abilities more than once.

tfw Commander sets only increase the price of the format, because nothing valuable is reprinted and the new legends increase demand

OY VEY! SHUT IT DOWN!

now that the full decklists are out, what's the verdict? I was wanting to get one for my friend who's new to the format so we could play eachother

>Jeleva, despite being the best commander for her niche, never rose in price at all throughout her time on the competitive scene.

This is because of TNN and has nothing to do with how good she is or isn't. Learn your history if you want to make a competent argument.

SHUT UP YOU FILTHY ENTITLED GOY, PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER PREORDER

Even thought I despite cats, I'll be getting the cat deck...

Which cards have exploded in price since the full decklists were posted?

That's what I'm talking about.

I'm aware of TNN, but that card isn't any reason for Jeleva to not have risen in price despite being the only decent commander for Grixis Storm. In fact, there's nothing competent about your argument for TNN at all.

Riptide Laboratory. The Lorwyn wizards are going up too.

Chill the fuck out.

Holy shit you weren't kidding about Riptide Lab

Glad I got mine last year

Wow, these decks look REALLY boring.

Cats are probably best out of the box. The manabases for all the other decks are pretty horrid, but the dragon one sticks out as the one that would be expensive to fix up properly.

I would say that cats is better than any of the 2016 decks out of the box, just by eyeballing it. I don't think I could recommend any of these other than wizards if the guy didn't like tribal though.

Just wait until all those taplands untap user, that's when the real fun begins.

Salty about garbage decks. Canceled my order (Wizards) and just bought Mairsil instead. There were a few cards in there I needed for him but I can buy all those separately.

but how many of those 35 lands produced coloured mana that you need? the deck i built and bought but haven't played have 32 lands that produce coloured mana, 1 land that produce generic mana and 2 fetches.
i have no idea what i'm doing, that's why i'm asking. im probably gonna find out eventually if my deck works or not. curve feels low because mana dorks

>Phyrexian Altar is $35

What the fuck

>I'm aware of TNN, but that card isn't any reason for Jeleva to not have risen in price despite being the only decent commander for Grixis Storm. In fact, there's nothing competent about your argument for TNN at all.

They were printed in the same deck. As a matter of fact, they printed twice as much of that deck than any other commander deck. The supply of the cards for that deck are enormous, and other than TNN are all dirt cheap because of this. People literally have thousands of these cards in stock, and we're trying to move as many as they can, since space isn't free and a card that obsoletes it could come along at any moment (like what literally just happened).

I thought you just didn't know your history, I didn't think you were so retarded you couldn't figure it out with the information at hand.

Get some from the anthology, anything that't not derevi is good and playable out of the box. They sell for around the same price you'd buy c17 one.

If you really want the new ones, cats and wizards look like the best choices, but it isn't saying that much.

Infinite combos my man.

Party hardy.

favourite card in commande 2017?

Really depends on how color-specific most of your cards are and how many colors you're in. I usually reserve at least 5 spots for utility lands like Bojuka Bog, High Market, Terrain Generator, or Tower of the Magistrate (most of which produce colorless mana) and then the majority of the others are color producing or a fetch every now and then. I generally don't bother with fetches because I rarely have trouble making my manabase work without them. You really just need to get a good understanding of how greedy some of your cards are for stuff like "2XXX" or "YXX" mana.

>1 printing at rare
>Older card
Sac outlet
>Instant-speed Mana fixing
I can see why

If you want to play it right out of the box don't buy it. These decks are terribly contructed and your experience would be miserable.

>I thought you just didn't know your history, I didn't think you were so retarded you couldn't figure it out with the information at hand.
I'm well aware of the print run, but all signs point to this year's decks being a higher print run as well. If Kess is in high demand, such as there was for TNN, then she'll get more print than any of the others, just like Jeleva. And despite TNN's overprinting, it still sits at $20+. They're not trying very hard to move it if they're so worried about it getting obsoleted.

tfw i have like 75 green symbols and 15 white
selesnya didn't work out quite as planned, turned out mono-green

Building this for more casual games. Any good tech?

Kess will never ever be $20 like TNN is.

Precons decks are fine for newer players, as long as you aren't playing with assholes who bring their strongest deck to bare even when they find out you are new.

Since it's Tribal themed and your friend is new, buy whatever they think is coolest. Which will probably be Dragons.

>interested in like 3 cards from each deck, but not interested enough to buy any particular deck

I actually like buying precons and playing them out of the box, and then slowly upgrading them. It's fun. I guess this will be the first time I'm just going with singles.

Yeah, because this happened with Atraxa, right?

Haha, OP, you seemed to have forgotten the Discord info. Here it is:

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just try to be less forgetful next time.

Stoneforge is always worth for equip strats. Sigard's Aid as well. Naturally, these are common cards for those decks, but it's good to keep them in mind.

I found out my shop has one for twenty.

I snagged it up. Not for infinite combos, but for incredibly finite ones like with reassembling skeleton.

Anyone want to check out my deck? I need to make it faster and more powerful.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eldritch-omnicide/

Thanks MaRo!

Atraxa isn't a high-demand competitive card either.

Most of the tribal stuff, but total, Mairsil.

>I'm well aware of the print run, but all signs point to this year's decks being a higher print run as well.

Proof? Because it sounds like you are talking completely out of your ass.

>And despite TNN's overprinting, it still sits at $20+.

They overprinted the set BECAUSE of TNN. TNN being expensive is the reason jeleva is so cheap. How are you not grasping this. I am talking about jeleva being hard to move at a high price point because of a massive supply, not TNN. TNN is the reason there is a massive supply of jeleva, which makes jeleva cheap. This is economics 101, how do you not get this shit.

see
I'm thinking something along the lines of using living weapons like Flayer Husk to tap stuff down on the combat step, and possibly tutoring up Odric to turn all of my shit into keyword soup. Probably throw in Conjurer's Closet for blink equipment tutoring too.

Those are horrible by commander precon standards though. He should grab something from the previous years instead of taplands: the deck. Meren is cheap now,

For casual, it will be run to make use of that second ability with cards like this and Gideon Jura.

Be sure to have some vigilance enablers.

The precons, most of them anyways, are typically solid decks for new players. What, should that user's friend drop a couple of thousand bucks on a Food Chain Tazri deck instead?

It sounds like you're the one not getting this shit. If Kess is as wanted as it seems like she will be, then they'll print it more. And I already said that she'll be worth more than Jeleva way back in like my first or second post. I never implied she'd be a sub-$1 card. She's simply not going to reach Atraxa prices though because she fills a different niche. Atraxa is THE MOST BREWED commander of all time even though she came out last year while Kess will simply take Jeleva's place as the Grixis Storm and Spellslinger commander, which is a far less popular niche than Planeswalkers and +1/+1 counters. Also, TNN isn't worth dick in anything, despite its high price either.

>buy 5 color uplayable garbage, that you can't even fix on budget

Fuck off, stop baiting new players.

Meren was kind of an outlier.

Have you ever tried to cast Gravepact off the mana bases of the original commander decks? Impossible.

>no chromatic lantern in the 5 color dragon deck
Excuse me?

>Who would win?
>Dozens of unique and powerful magical creatures from around the multiverse
>A sidewalk

I just wanted Kess for my casual wheel deck...

Pretty!

Well these are not.

He could buy half of budget Mayael or something if he wants awesome timmy stuff. Or a 2014-2016 pre-con that's not actually terrible.

are you insulting my card choice?

Just run Nekusar like everyone else.

I guess I'm slow on the uptake, but if I have Mairsil in play with one creature caged, and Mairsil leaves and later returns to the battlefield, caging another creature, will he have both caged creature's activated abilities?

That is pretty kawaii.

I just wanted Kess as a Wizard commander that actually supports what the tribe wants to do instead of stapling effects onto a commander.