media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
Have you ever played a game of D&D in Azeroth?
Have you done it in 5e?

Other urls found in this thread:

roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Ring of Regeneration#content
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimms'_Fairy_Tales
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Facetious_Nights_of_Straparola
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1EeYIeVe
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>wowshit

Fuck off.

Actually, Warcraft 3. Arguably before the lore/setting went to shit.

What abilities might a very rare/legendary magical sword with a nature/plant theme have?

Bring back swordmage wotc

Would EK and Bladesinger be a decent multiclass? Because that would totally work thematically.

Arguably when the series turned to shit.

>Warcraft 3

Mah nigga. I take it back, then. You're good.

>Have you ever played a game of DnD in Azeroth?
No.
>Have you done it in 5e?
No.
I am not memeing when I say that World of Warcraft is the actual cancer killing tabletop. It singlehandedly misinforms so many people on what exactly are and are not common conventions of the fantasy genre that I still get new people coming to my tables spouting retarded horse shit that is, even without asking them, 100% because of their no-life addiction to this worthless game.

Fuck off.

BETTER THREAD QUESTION:
Has any part of your setting been influenced by conventional modern video games?

Hitting a creature causes thorny vines to sprout from the ground around them, dealing ~4d8 piercing damage and restraining the target on a failed DC ~18-19 Strength saving throw

>Has any part of your setting been influenced by conventional modern video games?
I take a lot of side quest stuff from the Witcher 3

And some would argue that before, it was just a cheap Warhammer knockoff. Warcraft spurs a lot of arguments, it seems.

I purposely put a Warcraft 3 picture, but I guess that's lost on people who aren't familiar with the series.
That aside, can you give an example of a convention a WoW player assumed/ignored at your table?

Played a warlock, it was mad fun and not shit like the autists made it out to be.

Prior to Warcraft 3 there was no moral arguments. It was Orcs vs. Humans and that was that. I mean technically you could say it's when they opened the tomb of sargeras but that was followed up by the slaughter of the original Shadow Council but still that was Orcs vs. Orcs.

Warcraft 3 introduced the concept of there being a greater good in the setting when before that it was a gritty race war with two worlds competing for one another's utter destruction.

Congrats, you now realize that the minor power gaps that exist in 5e are not as wide as the munchkins think they are

Why play in WoW when you could play in a *good* setting?

>I am not memeing when I say that World of Warcraft is the actual cancer killing tabletop. It singlehandedly misinforms so many people on what exactly are and are not common conventions of the fantasy genre that I still get new people coming to my tables spouting retarded horse shit that is, even without asking them, 100% because of their no-life addiction to this worthless game.

If there are so many of these people, doesn't that mean the conventions have changed and you're the one who is misinformed?

Not that there is a "right" way to imagine what a generic fantasy setting looks like in the first place.

I'm actually trying to make a 5E version of the Warcraft RPG right now. It's pretty fun.

It's really hard to call things knockoffs of each other when companies repeatedly rip off each other and common source material. I think people who make these accusations need to stop pretending that a veneer of similar aesthetic makes things identical and try to figure out what makes things unique.

>Ignoring memes
>Having fun
I don't think you're allowed in /5eg/ now.

+3 Sword, Legendary

When planted into the ground and its command word spoken, the tree blossoms, grows and blossoms into a beautiful, flowering tree.

As an action, you can speak the sword's command word and any hostile creatures within 60 feet of you must make a DC 16 STR saving throw or be restrained as roots shoot out of the sword and into the ground, grabbing the creature by their legs. If the save is failed by 5 or more, the creature is also knocked prone. You must speak the command word again to make an attack with the weapon, retracting the roots by doing so.

At will, you may cast the Speak With Plants spell without expending a spell slot.

While you are sitting within direct sunlight for one minute, you regain 1d6+[Your CON] hit points. The sword's photosynthetic nature allows you to live as trees live. If a creature spends one hour a day doing this, they do not need to sleep, eat or drink for the next 24 hours.

No, but I'm currently running a campaign in a setting blatantly stolen from a certain MMORPG. The plot and everything else is stolen, but I've made a few changes to geography and all the names are different, so even a hardened player could possibly not catch it. However, if I were to to disclaim the source, anybody familiar with it would just gasp at the obviousness.

Shit

Except you would be ignoring at least 200 years of fantasy genre writing.

Fantasy has been round a lot longer than WoW has.

>1d6+Con healing per MINUTE
That's over the top, even for a legendary item
This is straight up "full heal on a short rest" shit

I don't think there was a "greater good" so much as a "common enemy." Which you kind of see in WoW, in that the factions immediately resume fighting each other once that enemy is gone. Sworn enemies uniting against a destructive threat is still pretty gritty.
That said, WoW had/has no idea where it's going and the lore is a complete clusterfuck that ruins everything that I liked about the RTS series, including anything from character motivations to geopolitics. If I ever ran a D&D game in Azeroth, it would be either between WC2 and WC3 or shortly after WC3.

Would you mind sharing some of your work?

roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Ring of Regeneration#content

I agree, I think it should be based on this ring. Every 10 minutes is still powerful but not ridiculous.

And miss out on the chance to have constant, ill-informed bitchfests over which marketable property is more "original" and thus "better"? What are people to do with all that time and energy?

Blizzard approached GW with a prototype Warhammer game to try and acquire the license.
GW said no, so Blizzard changed the names and look a bit and called it WarCraft.

Your best bet would be between WC1 and WC2.

You know, with an actual fucking horde on the go.

>Implying fantasy right before Warcraft looked anything like fantasy 200 years ago
The fuck are you on? Modern fantasy conventions were invented in the early/mid-20th century.

>What are people to do with all that time and energy?
If only there were any games they could play to pass the time!

Suck a dick, WoWfag

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimms'_Fairy_Tales

What kind of hag would live in a petrified forest?

It's a great class

What did you like about it?

That's actually complete bullshit. There was one guy on the Blizzard team that wanted the game to be a Warhammer game and everyone else said "no, we want creative freedom." That one guy is the source of the myth that Blizzard wanted to make a Warhammer game.

That's a good period in that the orcs had just won and have a lot of territory, but it was also prior to the formation of the grand alliances. So might not work for some games, but could be great for others.

Prove this.

Well, if you call me names that make no sense given what I've said so far about hating WoW lore and then also try to claim that Grimm had more to do with modern fantasy tropes than bastardized versions of Norse mythology, then clearly you are worth engaging in a productive discussion.

Calm down son. Whatever the reasons, WarCraft started out as a Warhammer project. The similarities are not coincidental.

> bastardized
So what we're saying is that my point that it was AT LEAST 200 years was rather on the nose.

And that anyone bringing WoW to a tabletop is a fucking retard.

Hi /5eg/, I come to you hat in hand asking for feedback on my homebrew Rogue archetype, which has been designed to focus on the crafting and utilization of various diverse poisons.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

>Pushing that weak 19th Century shit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Facetious_Nights_of_Straparola

>Except you would be ignoring at least 200 years of fantasy genre writing.

If you're looking at the whole sweeping history of fantasy fiction, D&D and WoW would probably be lumped together as the same kind of stuff.

You grognards got any tips for a new to 5e guy playing a monk? We're primarily using the PHB and a 27 point buy system.
So far I'm leaning towards a variant human picking up the Mobility feat and going the Open Palm path but I don't really know anything about 5e since all my experience comes from 3.5e and earlier.

Here's a question: what exactly am I supposed to do with all this gold?

My party just raided a giant's castle, and we have something like 10k gold between all of us. Magic item shops aren't really a thing, beyond some potions and scrolls, and I can't really upgrade my weapons beyond what they were when I got them at level 1. I've got some new gear from questing, so I'm not really hurting for that, so...am I just supposed to buy a castle or something? Just be extravagantly wealthy? I want to find a way to help with our quest in some way and not distract from it, but I'm not sure what my options are.

Pick a race with bonus to Dex and Wis, bump both stats to 16 at character creation, then bump Dex at 4th and 8th levels.

You can pick any subclass other than Way of the Four Elements

>I'm leaning towards a variant human picking up the Mobility feat
Great idea

Build a stronghold, get followers, rule a kingdom.

Which mmo, user?

I'm not sure you know what a "grognard" is if you're asking for tips on playing a new game.
That said, go open palm so you can push people away instead of using the disengage action. Crowd control all the fights.

After some research, it appears I'd been misinformed and Warcraft was indeed initially meant to be a Warhammer game.
Ah well, you learn something new every day.

$20 says it's Guild Wars 2.
Why can't I stop gambling today?

Because you're an addict. Seek help.

Not that user but literally evey time someone says "blizz went to GW" in any Veeky Forums thread, someone else jumps in and corrects them. Lurk moar or google it dude.

Alright, cool. It did seem like a solid choice but you never know.

Hey man, don't sweat the small stuff.

>ever since I tried wizard I only want to play wizards
Is this normal?

Nah dude you were more or less correct. The lead design producer dude or w.e was interested in obtaining the Warhammer IP but after the difficulties working with DC Comics they decided to just do their own thing.

Excellent as, and too true. I told my friends 5e would be fun and the classes were all well designed, apart from the PHB ranger being slightly weaker. They seem to be enjoying the system without worrying about minutiae or power gaps and instead focus more on the telling the story.

Aww.

Yeah, it sure is. Have you played one also?
I'm playing a fiendpact and I've discovered I could keep up with the others in melee and still have ranged options, the flow of healing after destroying an opponent is keeping me alive also.

>After some research, it appears I'd been misinformed and Warcraft was indeed initially meant to be a Warhammer game.

No, you were right the first time. Someone wanted to make it a Warhammer game, the rest of the team said no and the idea never took off. It wasn't actually being developed as Warhammer: The RTS at any point, they just ripped off Warhammer instead.

>"[Blizzard co-founder] Allen Adham hoped to obtain a license to the Warhammer universe to try to increase sales by brand recognition", Wyatt says. "Warhammer was a huge inspiration for the art-style of Warcraft, but a combination of factors, including a lack of traction on business terms and a fervent desire on the part of virtually everyone else on the development team (myself included) to control our own universe nixed any potential for a deal. We had already had terrible experiences working with DC Comics on "Death and Return of Superman" and "Justice League Task Force", and wanted no similar issues for our new game."

Go make some friends, like the mayor and every single religious leader.

>Have you played one also?
I played one for more than a year

>I could keep up with the others in melee and still have ranged options
Yeah, it's great. The fact that you can keep up on damage is great, as you do not to have to pick the cookie cutter spells

>It's a "Enemies have a wizard solely dedicated to counterspelling me" episode again
SOMEBODY CHANGE THE CHANNEL

Let it be known that 5e is so well-balanced that even a melee warlock, considered the 3rd-worst option in the game, didn't feel underpowered.

I'm so confused at this point.
At this point, I'd just say that it was an important someone, and that the idea was there, but that it quickly didn't go anywhere so they did their own thing.

You don't have assassins who can pressure their backline and give you room to cast?

I'll share the arcanist class when it's done. I've done a tinker that's more like the WC3 tinker, and it's basically arcanist subclass.

Stab your DM. When he asks why the fuck you did that, tell him that "it was a reasonable assumption on [your] part that the enemy would be vulnerable to stab wounds."

No, there are many people who stick to a single character type and wizard is among the two most popular among those (the other being rogue).

And remember, kids: always lie about you being honest.

Warcraft 2 is when they decided to just say "fuckit" and let everything be silly

Nice, what did you like about the class?

Yeah, the spells can be helpful hopefully but we need to play more to see, but they aren't too needed which is good. Armor of Agathys is nice though. Really want to try out Hellish Rebuke.

Heh, how are you finding 5e? It seems like a pretty fun system.

I've been playing 5e for a while now, and I love it. It's not necessarily easier to create adventures, but playing and running a game are easier than they've I ever remember them being, and I've been playing since 2e.
Actually played a warlock for a year, too. Fey warlock with the raddest Pact of the Chain familiar. DM and I both had very similar ideas on how fey should be, and it was a blast to play (pun intended).

Nice, good to hear you're having a rad blast with it all, and with the warlock.

Yeah, the streamlineness of the system really seems to work in its favor, we had three encounters in one night when it'll be lucky if we could fit in one or two in 4e. Everything seems a lot smoother as well.

The new Bard alone makes this game for me

Yeah, definitely seems like a cool class. All of them seem to be pretty cool. My friend is even thinking of running a monk.

I'd remove immunity to poison
Poisons should just be 8+prof+int at level 3. DC 10 con checks until level 13 is going to be awful.

Are there any mechanics where a creature would benefit or the player would not benefit from the creature failing to hit the player's AC?

The party I'm DMing for is far from OP or powergaming, so this isn't coming from a place of trying to fuck them over or anything. I'm just looking for a mechanic that I think they may not be expecting

Well..except Rangers. I still don't see any reason to ever roll a ranger except that you just REALLY want to play a class called Ranger

Make something similar to the Catapult spell - if it misses the first target with a projectile attack, it continues in a straight line to the next creature until it hits a target (up to a certain range)

captcha: 941253010 7200
wtf

>Poisons should just be 8+prof+int at level 3. DC 10 con checks until level 13 is going to be awful.

While DC 10 is admittedly weak, I just worry that the poisons would be too strong too soon.

Would a bump to DC 13 or 15 be fair? Or would that still be too weak, and the standard save DC calculation should be upfront?

>benefits from failing a roll
impossible, it goes against the very principle of this system of rolling over a target number

After thinking a lot about it I can think of rusting weapons, a weapon that, upon being blocked by armor or a shield, destroys the armor or shield in question, or deals a lot of damage if it isn't blocked

Inteligence is such an undervalued ability that it will keep DCs from getting out of control.

See Artíficer saves for an example of this effect

Alright, thanks for the suggestion.

I had a scrapped trait of surprised creatures having disadvantage on saving throws against poison. That could replace the Potent Poisons feature?

Either that, or damage from brewed poisons overcomes resistance to that damage type.

Use 8+int+prof. I'd probably lower the amount you can carry and scale it with level too.

I was torn about level-scaling inventory. I didn't want to allow, like, infinite poisons, but I also didn't want to make the lower levels barely have any to carry.

Wait. Duh. Why not INT + Prof?

Oh shit that's a really sweet idea actually

>impossible, it goes against the very principle of this system of rolling over a target number
While I think that your issue with the idea is completely valid and reasonable, I disagree with the idea that anything can be against the principle of 5e. The way I see 5e is that it's intentionally designed to be flexible enough to basically be whatever you want it to be. The idea can be shit, but 5e's flexibility is one of my favorite parts of the system

Maybe do something different for each poison application type
>Injury
overcomes resistance
>Ingestion
disadvantage on save
>Inhalation
can affect two creatures within 5 feet of each other
>Contact
Lasts twice as long

A) I like that, that's good. Might tweak it so that your idea happens on a miss 3 or lower than their AC. Others hit but do no damage (shields, armor, etc).

B) How are you getting number captchas? I keep getting "click all squares with a street sign" crap.

Shit, that's a really good idea. Thanks user! I wanted to do something about improving specific poison types but couldn't think of a good way to implement it.

>not just moving 60ft away from the wizard and spamming spells with a higher range
fag

So, I'm the centaur user that's even asking the last few threads about centaur tactics. Played the session, wargorged ended up getting dragged off at the end. Is it fucked up to start the next session with him chopped up and scrapped a la robocop 2at the start of next session? Not dead, but out of comission

How can I make a Witch character? I'd like to play someone based on Granny Weatherwax.

You can turn on legacy captcha in the options
It's so much faster than the stupid new shit

Hey, Warcraft as a setting? Boy wow, wouldn't it be great if they had an RPG books and stuff for that?

Oh wait, they did based off 3.5, not a bad system for 3.5, everything is super fluffy and flavorful. 10/10 great stuff, people who don't like Warcraft, that's great and all, keep hating, but I'm going to keep enjoying all the Warcraft content I can.

I clicked in here because I saw the night elf.

>Played a game in Azeroth.
Ran a campaign set in the era of WOTLK, had fun times with it, party was mostly allied-races but horde-loyal because of their actions to thwart early Cult of the Damned efforts to prepare for LK's invasion efforts. Went in with the landing party for the horde's efforts in Borean Tundra, went through some typical adventuring-support roles for the horde offensives, but once they got to Dragonblight they noticed they started making contact with the Scarlet Onslaught and things kinda started deteriorating from stability in-world, as they've now moved to trying to put Ulduar under the SO's control and we last left off after taking down Razorscale.

Bless you, friend.

Just play a normal spellcaster and flavor it up.

You're my new best friend.

Glad I could help, anons

Probably a Warlock who hates using her spells. Use your fuckhueg CHA to trick enemies, like Granny's Headology.

heres my tactician if you wanted to give it a spin, let me know if you plan to use it id like more playtesting data on this latest revision
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1EeYIeVe

Just wanted to say the resources pastebin and 5etools are fucking lifesavers as a DM also thank you /5eg/ for existing in general

>Granny Weatherwax.

It might seem odd but I would probably go with bard. She relies on a mixture of subtle magic and psychology which suits the class.

Fireball are projectile, right? If so, would I be able intercept early causing it to explode mid flight or even before it is release.

Not really a projectile, it's a point of light that moves - logically, it moves at light speed.