EDH/Commander General

"Needs tuning" edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Namefag bitchfest, but people often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Full C17 deck lists
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2017-edition-decklists-2017-08-11

>Thread question
What does your precon upgrade cart look like?

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=129803
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1571
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=382298
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1493
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Post your best mana stone card

Which wincon do you find least annoying/bullshit?

Lab Manaic + Demonic Consultation

Big Debt to the Deathless

Mindslaver + Academy Ruins

Blightsteel Colossus

You're locked and have to watch a commander hit you for 2 over and over until it's over or you scoop

I think it's finally time to nut up and buy some Snapcasters.

>What does your precon upgrade cart look like?
It looks like a custom deck that I built for myself. Because the precons are shit.

how do you build this in a not degenerate combo way? like, actually using her second ability to finish the game or through beatdown

>I activate my Hermit Druid

that one, or

>taking a 10 minute turn
>Aetherflux Reservoir
>taking another 15 mins
>you are all dead

Debt to the Deathless. If you get up to that much mana it's because the game has gone on for a while, and it ends the game instantly if not answered. Locks are boring, Labman was a mistake, and you have to play out Mindslaver and Colossus

No man, choose from the list.

These precons are fucking awful. Are they the worst ones yet?

Token Generation + Conspiricy

These are all the new mythic legends. How would you rank them from best to worst? Or favorite to least favorite. Whatever you want.

Fuck off, those are all fine, or at least quick an painless.

Illusionist's bracers will help. Then you just need ways to untap your wizards. paradox engine, dramatic reversal, turnabout, etc.

maybe supreme inquisitor back up plan?

I was using that these days for that very reason.

>Are they worse than out of the box Prossh or Blaxos.
No.

Least favorite is Mirri or maybe Arahbo. Most favorite is definitely Marisil. Inalla probably comes after that and then the Ur-Dragon, and the rest are in just whatever order.

That's true, better than waiting to die slowly.

I feel like the cats can get a direct upgrade and simply become mono white.

As much as I love my cat, leonin and cat creatures in MTG are really, really gay. Aside from the two cats from Innistrad.

As a whole, probably. There were worse ones like Kalemne, but this year's ones are pretty consistant in their shittyness.

Just build a deck around value then. Trying to get the most value from your wizards and tokens with stuff that copies them like artifacts and clones. Sundial of the Infinite can basically make your tokens permanent, so that should be an auto-include.

>Doesn't reprint the 16 dollars and climbing Kokusho
>Doesn't reprint the 10 dollars and climbing Balefire Dragon
>reprints the 1.5 dollar Ryusei
DAMN YOU WIZARDS

>Favorite
Mairsil
Edgar
Nazahn
Kess
Arahbo
Mathas
Mirri
Ur-Dragon
Licia
Inala
O-Kagachi
>Least Favorite

Fun/Would build
>Mairsil
>Mathas
>Wasitora (Not Mythic I know but it's still new)

Mite b cool to try out
>Ur-Dragon
>Inalla
>Kess

I hold no strong feeling towards any of these
>Edgar Markov
>Licia
>Any of the Cats

Dropped the fuckin ball
>O-Kagachi

I like Kess, Mairsil. Mirri is fine as a card, probably not as a general or even EDH card though. Ur-Dragon is big and dumb so, Dragon tribal timmies would like him I guess.

The rest is shit.

They confirmed Kess is from Grixis, as an aside. Wizards seems to be setting something up for the eventual return to Alara, because now every shard but Naya has a relevant legend on some quest to achieve power over the plane.

i'm glad they didn't because i bought both of those at their big prices haha

>upgrade to mono white
That's an oxymoron.

Beyond the mana for the 5 color, and wizards being intentionally gimped, none of them are particularly horrible.
All the face cards are interesting and have somewhat varied abilities, there are a few valuable cards in each, and all of them look like they might be interesting to play.

I really want to build Licia_lifelink.dec

All the Wizards will see play, ranging from cEDH to the jankiest shit you've ever seen.

Ur-Dragon is a Timmy's wet dream, will see it's share of boards.
O-Kagachi can finally fill in for the spirit tribal commander without being a Land enchanment or a wrath on a stick.

All the Mardu commanders are interesting and open up a lot of new deck options for the colors since both Kaalia and Zurgo are about as straightforward as deckbuilding gets.

All the cats are very strong and can even be run in someone's 99.

For Mathas what exactly does the "Each Opponent mean"?
Each opponent to the guy who controls the creature?

green doesn't do shit for the deck though

Nazahn is pretty cool. I just wish he was Naya, so I could use him as a commander with the RW Spellhammer.

I also like how Mathas has an inherent politics game embedded. And the idea of having custom-made Bounty Counters sounds pretty cool.

Who are the others?

>Cant wait to play tier
Arahbo
Edgar
Inalla
Mairsil

>looks neat tier
Mirri
Ur-dragon
Kess

>Not my cup of tea tier
mathas
Nazahn

>What were they thinking tier
Licia
O-kagachi

Yes.

I like the "everyone but the person you are targeting gets something."
It seems like a solid boros mechanic, I hope that it gives them some viability.

Y'all ever mix cycles of lands? Like running just 5 manlands and 5 taplands since they both are tap color fixers with okay effects?

Or maybe 5 shocks and 5 pains?

Yes.
That becomes text on the creature, therefore the opponents of it's controller would gain/draw.

Fuck kokusho.

>5 manlands and 5 taplands

found the Wizards employee

>Archangel of Thune
Oh yeah, I remember that I wanted one, but it was too expensive for a card that I just thought it was cool, I wonder how much it is now.
>still as expensive as when it came out
Fuck, is there any format that she is good in?

Personal Johnny rating

>interesting
Mairsil
Inalla
>boring but might play due powerlevel and openness
Kess
Ur-Dragon
Nazahn
>dudes turning sideways
Arahbo
Edgar
Licia
Mirri
O-Kagachi
>unbreakable
Mathas

>unbreakable

Shit. I meant scrylands.

10 tap lands, mix and match.

They did clarify that only bounty counters from Mathas give the ability, but it is a nice little ability.

Only works to kill ones Math has marked, the other ones don't have the triggered ability.

He's fun theme and politics, but not much as a Mechanical Johnny General.

I don't think you got the point, playing more than 2 taplands if any is completely retarded, I'm not even talking cEDH, just at any level.

You're probably not tapping Bounty Hunter to put counters on things 90% of the time.

you forgot one

What are some good artifact recursion cards in 5c that can fill other purposes? I only need to bring back a specific artifact (Door to Nothingness) so it won't be relevant very often. Academy Ruins and Buried Ruin come to mind.

If you count them as a whole, yes. C17 is a very disappointing set. And it's not like that they don't know what they could have done to make it better.

They could have literally put in a couple good reprint cards in each precon, and it would make all of them much better.

I think he meant, Mathas puts the counters, and then the hunter kills them.

.....shit

But you are the first to notice so I guess people don't care about him.

He's a good draw engine that lets you run more single target removal without choking yourself.
That means you'll need to run some major bombs in the deck for an actual wincon though.

I think it's nice for 5c goodstuff but those type of decks usually end up pretty dull and unintresting

cEDH spikes are salivating over him.

I genuinely can't believe that is true.

I get not running karoos or vivids, but I don't buy that casual decks need ten duals, shocks, Filters, fetches and pains.

Especially solid ones like the new cyclers, manlands and temples.

There are certainly worse things that casual players do when it comes to their decks.

Post 'em

Take my ass kicking scion deck and basically tweak it a bit. Use the ur-dragon for casual but use my scion manager to pump it up. Basically it. Add some more flavor. Dragon walkers , the ur pieces, form of the dragon etc.

>Mana Rock: the commander
He's somewhat interesting but already been talked to death.

The more colors in your deck the more diluted the theme is since you're now open to nearly every option in the game.
It's hard to not just build goodstuff at that point.

>If Mairsil has an equip ability, activating it won't cause anything to happen. Mairsil doesn't become attached to a creature. They may remain friends.
What the fuck.

>Inalla
>Mathas
>Nazahn
>Mairsil
>Licia
>Arahbo
>Ur-Dragon
>Mirri
>Kess
>O-Kagachi

Sorted from "most interesting" to "least interesting".

Into the interesting pile: Lots of artifact matters and +1/+1 counters matters potential.

Creatures can't be attached to other creatures.

>most lands ETB tapped in the new decks

Who else /orderedalldecksfornorealreason/ here?

I have no idea what to do with all but the Wizard one and was already planning to build Grishark once he releases anyway.
Think it'll be possible to turn the Cat core into Dinosaurs after adding red?

Not duals, shocks and fetches. Islands, Mountains and Forests.

>someone who actually gets it
I like you.
The more I think about it, though, the lower Mathas gets. He's a neat card and all but does fuckall on his lonesome, requires a packed table if you really want to see his potential.

I always buy all the sealed product. There's enough fun janky cards that stores don't usually store singles of.

>Titania and Shirei
Good taste user. How did you build Kazuul? Repercussion and War's Toll type cards?

If someone left that 20 taplands in their vampire deck, it would be strictly worse than replacing some of them with basics, or 1$ alternatives.

Is Sram supposed to look like a monkey and if so, racist?

It comes with some good GW cards so i think you could use it as a decent base for dinosaurs if you scrap all the cats in it

I'm converting my Mishra to Mairsil, how about you?

>cedh

I like Mathas mostly because he's another sweet politics card for Marchesa decks or an alternate politics Commander for that same deck.

I mean the "they can remain friends," part.

You're that "use basics instead of taplands" guy from the other day.

How's that been working out?

I really hate the art-direction this year.

Sram's a dwarf. It's Rashmi who looks like a monkey.

I like the designs and the poses, but the backgrounds are all so dull.

Nope, sorry.

Is there some way to turn Mairsil into a noncreature artifact with it's textbox intact?

If so, say you had Bludgeon Brawl on the field and an equipment caged. Would Mairsil, the now noncreature artifact, have two equip abilities: one of the caged equipment and the other provided by Bludgeon Brawl.

If so, would both of those equip abilities be functional?

I really like Edgar and Kess. O-K's art is as bad as he is.

So just to confirm: If another cat is equipped with a Sword of Feast and Famine, his eminence can't target the cat but the second ability can still work right?

I really like Edgar and Kess. O-K's art is as bad as he is.

Yeah, most likely. Once Mairsil becomes available there's literally no reason not to play her over Mishra, even if I keep the deck exactly the same. She's a 4/4 for 4, same as Mishra, just with better upside. Maybe if I owned a Nether Void things would be different.

Yeah. I know it's hard to paint Indians in a good looking light but this is just blatant

I get color screwed in five color more often than I get screwed by playing a turn behind. I get that that might be different in cEDH, but the risk of Back to Basics and Ruination didn't stop me from running just ten basics.

You can just use cultivate and rampant growth for fixing, but then your Green portion will be mostly ramp, which eats up slots for more fun green cards if you want to keep the color balance even.

For sure. I'm not arguing for the level WOTC did, but I don't think the argument that the number of taplands for every deck is max 2 is wrong.

It's almost like they designed these cards to be foiled or something!

Just use a licid.

Combat control-- force my opponent to attack with their creatures while denying or constraining their mana with war's toll, ruination, etc.

I'll probably build Mairsil, also preordered vamps and dragons for collection purposes. Don't care about cats tho.

>his eminence can't target the cat
Which part of the eminence ability would target the cat? RTFC

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=129803
>This card is a bit weird.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1571
>It must flip like a coin and not like a Frisbee.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=382298
>That was very generous of you.

>gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1493
>The artist is actually Justin Hampton.

>another target cat gets +3/+3 until end of turn

RTFC

Not sure about the first part since he's not in play during the trigger so maybe it doesn't register as a colored source.

Second part doesn't target so it works.

The part that says "another target cat".

The part that says "another target Cat", you mong.